Digimon Ghost Game: Episode 1- The Sewn-Lip Man

Amandil7

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Okay I really enjoyed the vibe of this show!

Hiro seems like a good protagonist, we've had enough obnoxious/headstrong goggle-heads so this is a welcome change. Convenient that his father is an inventor who just left him with a digivive and dim cards lol.

The silver haired dude is hilarious, the girl did not really make much of a strong impression yet.

Gammamon was cute, that fight was interesting with Hiro using his brains well. That silhouette of his dark evolution was proper menacing.

Clockmon was a perfect fit for what they're aiming for with this show.. He worked well as an initial nemesis, glad he did not get taken out so soon.

Lol what was that BlackGatomon with clothes haha, I laughed.

All in all, a colorful premier for Ghost game! I really enjoyed it and could use tons more of this.

Chimera-gui

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
As expected, the talking about it being 'horror' is a bit overblown at this point. It's horror in the same way that a lot of Scooby Doo is horror. It has a few not quite scary moments, and some music that helps the vibe. But we'll see where it goes. Episode 1 sets things up, but isn't a guarantee it won't go further next time.
It's October, I think allot of us are just in that state of mind! But the horror influence throughout that intro was undeniable with those creepy urban legends followed by that attack. If it ends up like Digimon Scooby Doo, I'm super fine with that - as long as we can get little 'Zombie Island' moments like the intro of this episode!
Also to be fair, Scooby Doo can be genuinely scary when it wants to be: Mainly with the direct to video movies from the 90s onward and especially the aforementioned first one. Plus even GeGeGe no Kitarō is classified as horror comedy.

Clockmon's depiction is genuinely unnerving since why is he interested in aging people? How does that benefit him or does it even benefit him?

Shiningmon

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Well I'm not going to lie, for the moment Ghost Game gives me feelings of Appmon and Yokai Watch Shadowside and I love it.

There we feel that the digimons will be dangers, Clockmon proved it in the episode because attacked one of the characters at home, it shows that the digimons will have no qualms about doing it.

The frame is falling into place and I can't wait to see what they do for Hiro's dad (at the moment I feel like it could be like Dennemon in Appmon)
Seriously though, if I hadn't looked at the details of his likely partner, I would never have said it was BlackTailmon, no but looking at his face he looks sick or stoned.

So Hiro's father created the three digivices and the 3 DIM Cards (which at first glance seems linked to a single digivice, if we consider that Hiro first used Jellymon's DIM Card then that of Angoramon on the Digivice planned for Gammamon and that this did not activate them)

Hiro therefore has the 3 digivices for the moment so it is he who will give them to Kiyoshiro and Ruli (I preferred to call her Ruri but this is the wrong spelling of his name) so it is likely in view of the first episode that the next activated DIM will be that of Jellymon because Hiro already knows Kiyoshiro since they are in the same school and that Hiro considers him as a senpai .... And for the moment nothing indicates that the two boys know personally Ruli.

No change for the first episode but the shadow of Grus Gammamon appeared, moreover noted that the functionality of the Digivice V is highlighted as the same as the Vital Bracelet in the videos concerning the latter, for example for that Gammamon uses one of his movements, there is this circle with the stick figure that fills up before the attack is launched so it is likely that the evolutions are like that of the Vital Bracelet (therefore data silhouette filling in to form the 'evolution)

Clockmon is beaten but not destroyed so it is likely that he will return for revenge later (with evolving or not), noted that the wounds he received caused him to lose control of his power and that his victims are back to normal, moreover I wonder if the victims of the digimons will be just characters for an episode or if they will reappear as recurring secondary characters ... Wait and see.

Last edited:

Bartz

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Hiro and Gammamon seem to be a likeable duo so far, with Hiro being less headstrong and more knowledgeable then the typical Gogglehead while Gammamon is slightly reminiscent of Guilmon in having a really cute main state, but also a fierce/protective (or at least trying to be) battle state. It works well so far, and hopefully they play into the brotherly relationship aspect well.

Clockmon was a good starter villain, I do agree that its design isn't that creepy on its own, but its desires to steal the time of the students just for the pleasure of seeing their life flash by along with the visuals does enough lifting to get him by. He's not dead yet so he could make a return, though if so I'm curious to see how he'll be worked back in as we don't have an overarching plot yet.

Finally, to go back to that previous note of Gammamon, we saw GrusGammamon and the way it was shown gave it a very dark aura and presence, similar to Megidramon or other Dark evolutions. Between that, the poster, and the opening it seems that form is being built up to be a dark side to the character, which is interesting as it'd be the first time we've seen a Dark evolution given that much presence in a Digimon's storyline. It'll be interesting to see how that plays out, particularly since branching evolutions will be a thing for Gammamon based on the opening.

All in all, a pretty enjoyable first episode, it sets up the theme well and gives enough to keep you watching. Not much else to say but that I look forward to the misadventures of our new trio and their trusted Digimon.

Lord Bearmon

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I wonder if the LadyDevimon will be the BlackTailmon's evo or just an enemy Digimon of the week.

JungleTrooper

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Fun, colourful and with more grounded characters. I liked it.

Prodigious

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Totally loved it.
It gave us story. Character. Interaction. Settings.
And the villain survived!

We got more character and expression from Hiro and bandage boy in 1 episode than the entire :20 cast had in 67 episodes loool

the dark digivolution hint during the battle was great. Clockmon looked scared of the potential.

am I the only one getting villain vibes from the dad?

my negatives so far

the jellymon evolution looks like a taller jellymon. Not impressed

angoramon evolution looks like the rookie after months of gym. I was hoping they kept his bulkiness

Yume

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
A great start! Art and animation weren't that good, but the story and vibe were.

The hologram concept is really cool, especially the clothing store with hologram dresses. So convenient! And they have 7G already :D

Cool to know that the Digivices are all the same color. Adventure is the only season with the same trait (the base form of the Digivice, that is). Saves us from having to buy different versions of the Digivice V!

The other Dim cards were Jellymon and Angoramon, right? It was a nice touch not to have Hiro go straight to Gammamon's Dim card, and see that the other ones are "wrong" for him.

Would be perfectly happy with 50 more episodes of that general vibe.
Same! These early episode concepts tend to disappear after 15 or so episodes in order to focus on a bigger plot, but I'd rather have what we had today with a bit of character development on the side. We'll see.

Let's hope Kiyoshiro is the new Jou, and like Jou, has an interesting character growth. I say this because I have a feeling I'm really gonna like Jellymon.

More please!

Geode

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Cool episode and Gammamon is great.

Roberto zampari

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It was a nice episode. Hiro interacting with Gammamon was nice.
When Hiro says that Gammamon was the little brother, THIS happens:
fcG5kbI.png

Can anyone explain this? :oops:

Shiningmon

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It was a nice episode. Hiro interacting with Gammamon was nice.
When Hiro says that Gammamon was the little brother, THIS happens:
fcG5kbI.png

Can anyone explain this? :oops:
It's like the videos on the Vital Bracelet, it's like the link between the Tamers and the Digimon that allows the attack to be triggered.

DragonicEmperor

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This show started off incredibely based. Gammamon is easily the best MC partner ever since Guilmon.

Got me hooked from the start until the end, which is more than Adventures 2020 ever managed to do.

THis 'brother' thing with a digital being heavily reminds me of Rockman's Netto and Rockman, where Rockman was Netto's brother who's data was used to make him a NetNavi to ensure he could be 'alive' as a digital being as he wouldn't be able to as a real person.

TheImpster

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Also to be fair, Scooby Doo can be genuinely scary when it wants to be: Mainly with the direct to video movies from the 90s onward and especially the aforementioned first one. Plus even GeGeGe no Kitarō is classified as horror comedy.

Clockmon's depiction is genuinely unnerving since why is he interested in aging people? How does that benefit him or does it even benefit him?
It might make him stronger but as of confirmed reasons, he seems to do it out of pure sadism. He mentions how its entertaining to watch people get drained of their life time.

Anyway, here are my thoughts on the episode: it was great. Hiro has easily given me the best first impression for a Digimon anime Protagonist since Masaru. Yeah, he's kind and has a hard time turning down requests, but the show does address that this can be both good and bad, as irresponsible people will take advantage of that, like his friend did. Much more interesting than Taiki and Haru started off, and DEFINITELY more interesting than reboot Taichi. Hiro has also shown much more emotion in just this one episode than reboot Taichi has in the entire 2020 series. It's just a fact. From annoyance, to fear, to confusion... I love it!
Gammamon being precious is a well known fact, so I won't dwell much on it. Just gonna say he's my second favorite protagonist Digimon so far, right after OG Agumon.
Won't talk much about ruri and kiyoshiro, since they hardly had any roles, but I find kiyoshiro very funny.
Now as for the horror aspect, I still think this is closer to Gegege no Kitaro than Scooby Doo. Here we know that the monsters are actual monsters and we have seen them do genuinely scary stuff. Sure, Clockmon didn't kill anyone directly, but he took away their time, shortening their lifespan to the point of his victims being unable to walk, dooming them to die early. It's only thanks to Hiro and Gammamon that the victims recovered. Scooby Doo on the other hand was rarely horror at all, most of the time it's more horror-THEMED comedy.
This on the other hand feels more like Kitaro, which had a blend of actual horror and actual comedy, while at the same time blending in action. Plus, it's the first episode, they're not gonna blow their load immediately.

As for the animation which is something some people seem to have issues with... It looks perfectly fine to me. And somehow I prefer this than the deceptively good animation in the first couple of episodes in the Adventure reboot. At least this time the writing is good enough for us not to need the animation to distract us from it

HeavyLeomon

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Curious, some people cant stop trashtalking adventure 2020 even in ghost game episode discussions. Seems like 67 episodes werent enough to liberate their frustration.

On topic: good episode, little dissapointed that its clearly more comedy than horror, kyoshiro fast change from arrogant to coward was so bad, i mean, a person that tries to look strong by hiding its "weaknesses" wouldnt show those weaknesses that easy just by hearing the word ghosts.
Maybe i had too many hopes in that character development due to it description.

Clockmon was good, i always loved clockmon so its nice to see him in action, being a bad guy who enjoys being bad. Glad he survived, lets see how his vengeance would be.
Just dont liked how gammamon with only one attack was enough to make him run away, maybe he is too coward? Idk, i hope next episode mummymon give us more fight than clockmon.

Rohan

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
And so it begins! The world we're introduced to seems very interesting, reminds me of "Back to the Future 2" with the holograms coming out of screens and stuff. We get a glimpse of all three of our main humans to establish their base characteristics which is fine. Clockmon is our mystery Yokai - err I mean, Digimon of the week who is stealing people's time, they definitely made him out to be much more intimidating than past appearances. So Hiro's father was researching something and he ended up in the Digital World it seems? Anyways he left behind the three Digivices to Hiro plus the DiM cards so we meet Gammamon who has bundles of personality and charm. Gave me a lot of Guilmon vibes especially with how aggressive he got in battle and Clockmon's glimpse into his future of a monstrous evil form. Speaking of their fight, I liked that Hiro's brains helped out and that Clockmon wasn't truly defeated since he's a higher Level and whatnot, sets up their rematch for when Gammamon evolves. To which I am very curious as the OP seems to imply branch Evolutions maybe or something non-standard going on, I await eagerly to see how that plays out.

Overall, not the strongest first episode of a Digimon anime ever but it was passable enough and I am intrigued to continue on.

HeavyLeomon

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Forget to mention that i also think that blackgatomon could be a new variant and possibly an assistant of hiro father (if not his partner).

Saberdramon

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It's been a while since I feel like I enjoyed a new Digimon series, but Ghost Game seems to be hitting all of the points I've been waiting to see from a new series for a long long time. Though the animation is a bit wonky sometimes, the characters, plot threads and introduction to the world all feels natural, well paced and potentially really good, depending what direction they take with it.

Ricardolindo

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I think this first episode was awesome. The scene of Clockmon draining the girl's life force was powerful. Ruri's cameo discussing it was nice. I liked the insights into Hiro's school life, including his friendship with Nemura and Kiyoshirō's introduction. I liked the premise of Hiro's father having disappeared 6 months earlier. The scene of Clockmon draining Nomura's life force was also powerful. I liked Hiro's father's hologram's appearance, introducing him to Gammamon, saying he was his younger brother and telling him about the Digital World and the Digimon. The fight with Clockmon was well done. Contrary to people's expectations, Gammamon did not evolve. I think it's fine not to have an evolution in the first episode.

Ghalheart

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Yeah, first episode in and I'm liking what I'm seeing so far! I'm liking the premise, I alrighty love Gammamon, and I'm liking how this takes place in such a future timeline where people have 7G wireless on their phones and digital holographs being the norm.

I don't feel like this episode was a commercial for the Vital Bracelet; I've sat through enough shows like Cardfight Vanguard and Gundam Build Fighters to know when a show is leaning too hard into the merch. That said, this was just the first episode, so fingers crossed it doesn't escalate.

Definitely looking forward to more - especially since Clockmon actually survived this encounter! :D

drtomoe123

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I really enjoyed this episode and I do think it's coming off initially as a cool mix between what I liked about Appmon (the meshing of the real/Digital World) and Adventure 2020 (the franchise fanservice). Presonally, I think this is really a sequel to the Adventure reboot in disguise (especially considering the DIM Card Koushiro found and the way the series ends)...but only time will tell. :)

Can't wait for next week!