Digimon Ghost Game: Episode 1- The Sewn-Lip Man

Vande

Roll Roll, Critical, Critical
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This is the episode discussion thread for Episode 1, The Sewn-Lip Man

The first preview for Ghost Game which was posted here.

Episode 1 airs Sunday, October 3rd, 9am in Japan.

We expect the simulcast for Crunchyroll is shortly after at:
Saturday, October 2nd, 7:30pm in California (Pacific)
Saturday, October 3rd, 10:30pm in New York (Eastern)
Sunday, October 3rd, 3:30am in the UK

If your time isn't included in the short list above this link will take you to an easy to use time converter so you check yours.

The show can be watched on the following:
(Most countries) Crunchyroll Series Page

No spoilers past this episode and no posting before the episode is commonly available for most people at the simulcast times listed above (if you are posting about the episode trending on social media in Japan, feel free to post about that.) You can discuss any next episode previews if they are shown at the end of the episode.

Feel free to join us in the Discord if you want to chat about the episode.

Attachments

• article.jpg
    article.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 20,801
Last edited by a moderator:

Hydranoid413

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Crunchyroll is saying “Digimon Ghost Game is not available in this language. Please change languages to view.” but none of the language options let it play. I assume it’ll work if I change it to Japanese but there’s no option for that.

Help?

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Crunchyroll is saying “Digimon Ghost Game is not available in this language. Please change languages to view.” but none of the language options let it play. I assume it’ll work if I change it to Japanese but there’s no option for that.

Help?

No episodes are out at this time. Crunchyroll pages will not quite give proper information until at least one video is available.

YongYoKyo

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

Help?
It's still a whole hour before its expected simulcast time (assuming it's the same as Adventure:).

Vice

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Omg this opening is super catchy and it really fits the whole mystery theme of what we’re probably going to see. Super exciting. I see mostly super natural looking Digimon in this including some old school Digimon. I’m wondering what that blue cat Digimon was in Hiro’s room, looks like he also appears in the opening but very briefly.

Clockmon was so menacing, I felt bad for that girl in the beginning.

Hiro seems to have a few talents, he can cook very well and pick locks apparently.

edit: Thanks for telling me it’s BlackTailmon, might have found my new Digimon.

Last edited:

YongYoKyo

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I’m wondering what that blue cat Digimon was in Hiro’s room, looks like he also appears in the opening but very briefly.
It's BlackTailmon in a hoodie.
Blacktailmon.jpg
Image Thumbnail (custom)

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Ghost Game begins!

The Sewn-Lip Man feels less elegant as far as translating that goes.

We got the OP after it aired in Japan a few hours ago, but the opening is really nice. The song works, the visuals work, and it even features Director Kakudou returning to Digimon. Lots of cameos from Digimon we may or may not ever seen.

Plus the various evos, including all 4 of the adult Gammamon evos, 1 in silhouette.

And there's that bit of dialogue from the commercial.

I like that anime shows in general have gotten texting in shows visually much better in the last few years.

Clockmon is more amusing than menacing a minute or so in to be honest. The time stealing visual works great.

Ruli as a translation still feels iffy, but then it's kind of expected at this point. I like her kind of being framed in a way not dissimilar to the main girl from Hyouka.

Hiro feels kind of like a take on Velma so far.
Kiyoshiro is within a minute one of those characters you mostly dislike, and they want you to do so.

His dad being missing and just a hole and Digivice left isn't a bad way to introduce the proper weirdness.

That teacher is drawn funky. The overall setup of the school as we see really helps the framing of the show being a few minutes into the future.

...Hiro has a toolkit with him. That's a character trait...

The phone stuff not being lined up with the notch bothers me to be honest.

Kiyoshiro being framed as someone who absolutely is only worried about how stuff that didn't happen to him might come to him tracks decently.

Hey look, conveniently dropped Dim Cards.

And more Digivices. And his dad's voice lecturing him.

BlackTailmon in an outfit just leaving is... a thing.

Gammamon introducing and already being friendly.... lol. And Hiro is... confused. And already confirmation that his dad planned much of this to happen. The digital world is being framed much like DigiQuartz this time around, at least at first.

I rather enjoy the entire little brother framing is just his dad telling him to take care of him.

The framing that people who aren't using a Digivice can't see Digimon is an interesting way to take it, and curious to see where that goes. Also that using the Dim he realized Gammamon out of being a 'hologram'. And Gammamon bit him for it.

Makes me wonder if others can see Gammamon now, and to see if we will see strategic use of standard and hologram 'modes.

Clockmon not playing at being a 'ghost' now that he's realized the kid knows Digimon worked well.

And already introducing the darkness in episode 1. Clockmon screwed up. Vanishing it quickly to just 'hint' at what might happen I liked.

Hiro throwing that to make a tree was great.

The VB imagery is... very commercially, even for Digimon, which has often integrated that sort of thing well. Hopefully they use it sparingly and well.

And off Clockmon bounces, to be seen another day and Hiro is worried for what he's in for.

A good start overall. Would be perfectly happy with 50 more episodes of that general vibe.

As expected, the talking about it being 'horror' is a bit overblown at this point. It's horror in the same way that a lot of Scooby Doo is horror. It has a few not quite scary moments, and some music that helps the vibe. But we'll see where it goes. Episode 1 sets things up, but isn't a guarantee it won't go further next time.

The narrator in the preview worked super well. They've hinted we'll see more of him, I kind of hope so.

Clockmon was played quite well by Mitsuo Iwata, who we've seen as Digimon a few times in the past. Piddomon in Xros Wars, Messemon in Appmon, and Mephismon in Adventure:.

Last edited:

Peppermon

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Can someone please take good screenshots at the other digimons evolution?

Thatguy3331

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Ok so first off... man... this episode kinda looked like crap.

All the characters felt oddly stiff and stilted and, while I don't need a "sakuga" flood every 5 minutes or anything, there was alot of jank oddities for what are otherwise fairly simple still shots. I think I particularly noticed one frame where it looks like somewhere during the production phase Hiro's outlines looked weirdly jagged and pixelated, I hope things are alright behind the scenes. It won't necessarily be the end of the world if the show isn't a visual marvel, but it is sort of a let down after Adventure: where that was like the one nearly universally praised thing about it.

It's a good thing the actual story and set up of the episode is pretty cool. I only harp on the visuals so much because the episode was trying so hard to create a mood, that seem scripted perfectly fine, but the visuals, for whatever reason, couldn't match it. I was surprised not only that Gammamon didn't evolve this episode but also how quick it was to enter battle. Living up to that virus affinity I see! I also like how Hiro is characterized so far, I was worried he was going to be a taiki like character, and while wack things can happen to his writing down the road, I do like this more "ugh, fine I'll help you out" sort of attitude he seems to have, even going so far as to pick locks for something he barely cares about. Also it was pretty cool to see him exploit clockmon's time powers! I hope we can keep this as a thing the kids do to help their digimon during battle!

It's really a pity how much of a disservice the visuals do the episode cuz I enjoyed the premier a decent amount! It was nothing world shattering or anything but it was fun and interesting.

Also lol they didn't even pretend Kyoshiro had no chill about anything

Digiforlife

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Although it is the first episode but it gave me a lot of vibes I never got from Adventure 2020.
Clockmon as a villain is great! Far better than all of the villains from Adventure 2020. His presence gave me a lot of pressure and his skill is creepy but done well
Hiro as protagonist is more like Takato but with Izzy's intelligence as seen with him throwing a branch to save Gammamon. Finally main protagonist with brains that will make things more interesting
Finally this episode is well balanced with great pacing, suspense, and basic introduction information although fight scene is bit lacking and we don't get to see how digivolution is done but I won't complain:) The hype is definitely returning for me after a long, long time:)

BlankShell

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I really liked this! That opening is a banger. If I have any complaints it's that there was a lot covered, which resulted in a lot of quick-cuts, which I hope they tone down a bit going forward. Other than that, Hiro makes for a good protag (resourceful, a little blasé, but with a good heart). He reminds me of Rindo from Neo:TWEWY (maybe cuz I beat that recently lol) in that he seems pretty put together, but he's got some dulled emotions that need stirring. Hopefully his daddy issues are handled more gracefully than Data Squad's.

Ruri was... there, and I'm not really sure how to feel about Kyoshiro; for the first two seconds he was really haughty and arrogant, but then they just abandoned that for his overall fear of ghosts, so it'll be interesting to see how they blend those two traits.

Visuals were pretty good! They saved a bit by adding in those quick cuts (something Adventure: didn't even bother with most of the time) so they might not be as flashy moving forward, but that's for another day.

And yes, Gammamon is precious and must be protected at all costs.

Eitaroutarouman

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
So when Clockmon steals a person's time, it briefly flashes that person at later stages of their life. For Gammamon, it's GrusGammamon. Wonder if that's significant, like that's his destined Evolution that only changes due to Hiro's influence.

AppliFang

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
lol I wonder if Clockmon turns to the Mummymon in the next episode xD

Or that Piedmon in the op haha

Chimera-gui

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I wonder if Kiyoshiro's 'curse' is actually Jellymon fucking with him, we know that she bullies him from promotional stuff.

RoyalBrook

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Been a while since I had this much fun on a fresh digi series. And Gammamon has stolen my dang heart.

Wolfry

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
An absolute breath of fresh air after they ditched Appmon for Adventure.

I think Hiro's father showing up as a hologram an amount of time after basically being obliterated into the digital world is... odd. But hey, surprise adoption and Gammamon is cute. I wonder if Gammamon biting someone's leg will be a running gag.

The proper fight with Clockmon was interesting, with Hiro thinking outside the box in order to help Gammamon fight Clockmon. Of course he couldn't be killed first episode, so he'll probably be a problem later.

And of course... them showing Kiyoshiro as the cool-headed guy early on and then showing him flip his lid after Hiro's first encounter with Clockmon was really funny. I will now be reminded of the time he revealed himself wearing a bunch of talismans as he runs away.

Edit: Also this episode went by rather quickly. But that's a good hallmark of a fun episode, isn't it? After all, time flies when you're having fun.

Tarama

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
BlackTailmon is probably Hiro's father's partner, or assistant.

Ragnalord

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I really enjoyed it, already saw it 3 times, something fresh and new

RyummaSama

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Going off the setting and background, I'm getting a lot of MegaMan StarForce vibes from it (holograms, taking place in the near-future, the main character having a space-themed name).

The opening showing off the different forms of Gammamon really kinda rubs salt into the wound of only Gammamon getting multiple forms.

I think the show has a lot of potential, but right now it kinda feels like Vital Bracelet commercial lol.

Golden_Fate

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I really like our new Trio, I can't wait to see them all together. So far, Gammamon is a treasure! Though he should probably work on being threatening lol I couldn't stop Aw'ing when he got all growly at Clockmon! I always thought the reoccuring sewn lips motif in Digimon was creepy so it's kinda fun they called it out. lol

As expected, the talking about it being 'horror' is a bit overblown at this point. It's horror in the same way that a lot of Scooby Doo is horror. It has a few not quite scary moments, and some music that helps the vibe. But we'll see where it goes. Episode 1 sets things up, but isn't a guarantee it won't go further next time.
It's October, I think allot of us are just in that state of mind! But the horror influence throughout that intro was undeniable with those creepy urban legends followed by that attack. If it ends up like Digimon Scooby Doo, I'm super fine with that - as long as we can get little 'Zombie Island' moments like the intro of this episode!

I think the show has a lot of potential, but right now it kinda feels like Vital Bracelet commercial lol.
lol. It totally is. And it's totally working. I want one now.