Digimon: Ghost Game Announced at DigiFes

Shadow Moon

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I‘m personally hoping Gammamon gets quadrupedal evolutions, including the final stage. Which would be refreshing over another Humanoid for the designated lead.
tbh i kinda want it to be triceramon's rookie.
i do agree that it would also be nice to have a another non-humanoid mc mega outside of imperialdramon dragon mode

The Chaos Entity

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I‘m personally hoping Gammamon gets quadrupedal evolutions, including the final stage. Which would be refreshing over another Humanoid for the designated lead.
i do agree that it would also be nice to have a another non-humanoid mc mega outside of imperialdramon dragon mode
Triceramon could certainly be one of Gammamon’s Ultimate Level forms…but there is no way they’re using a twenty year old Digimon as the primary Ultimate form of the big new protagonist Digimon for a brand new series unrelated to nostalgia for a previous one.
Quadrupedal or not, Gammamon’s main line will be all-new.

JungleTrooper

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Triceramon could certainly be one of Gammamon’s Ultimate Level forms…but there is no way they’re using a twenty year old Digimon as the primary Ultimate form of the big new protagonist Digimon for a brand new series unrelated to nostalgia for a previous one.
Agreed, that has almost always been the case for the anime. And they'll need to sell new merchandise. They may not even use branching evolutions.

Strontium

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
What does the ghost game mean? Show your theories
Here's what I spun out the other day...

On the Internet, nothing is every truly gone. Sure, you can delete your pictures, messages and cookies, but remnants of your data lives on in the digital aether. Every now and then, digital detritus with gather into a being, one with the ability to move behind the scenes of our interconnected world. Some of these beings are friendly. Others, less so.

Our heroes are three young people in the modern world. Lately, strange things have been happening on the Internet. As these three characters go to investigate, they are brought in contact with a being that represents their past on the web. With their digital ghosts given form, it's up to the heroes and their newfound partners to investigate the strange happenings and put an end to what will inevitably be a world-threatening nefarious plot. It's Digimon!!!!!

---

Unrelated to the above, but concerning Gammamon: Rather than his name being a reference to Omegamon/Alphamon, what if it refers to him being a triceratops? Gamma is the third letter in the Greek alphabet and triceratops have three horns.

e105zeta

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
They're going to downplay the science fiction aspects of the franchise and state that Digimon are ancient spiritual magical creatures that are easier to contact with electronics.

Which is the new narrative push being made ever since the CyberSleuth games.

And it's also, suspiciously, the main premise of the Shin Megami Tensei and Persona games. Watanabe stated that SMT was a major influence on Digimon (obviously) but I find this particular take a little too derivative of MegaTen's metaverse.

Along with this we'll get a focus on Digimon that are (ghosts / UMA / aliens / cryptids) and that have supernatural lore in the real world as opposed to totally original creations like Greymon, Terriermon and Togemon.

There will be an emphasis on urban legends and even the kids contacting their partner Digimon will start out as one of those urban legend "Test of Courage" games popular in Japan where you recklessly poke the eye of a metaphorical ghost tiger. It'll be a "Bloody Mary" style ritual that will be the titular "Ghost Game".

MagicLad_Ty

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
They're going to downplay the science fiction aspects of the franchise and state that Digimon are ancient spiritual magical creatures that are easier to contact with electronics.

And it's also, suspiciously, the main premise of the Shin Megami Tensei and Persona games. Watanabe stated that SMT was a major influence on Digimon (obviously) but I find this particular take a little too derivative of MegaTen's metaverse.

Along with this we'll get a focus on Digimon that are (ghosts / UMA / aliens / cryptids) and that have supernatural lore in the real world as opposed to totally original creations like Greymon, Terriermon and Togemon.

There will be an emphasis on urban legends and even the kids contacting their partner Digimon will start out as one of those urban legend "Test of Courage" games popular in Japan where you recklessly poke the eye of a metaphorical ghost tiger. It'll be a "Bloody Mary" style ritual that will be the titular "Ghost Game".
This isn't a "new narrative", this specific lore was created by Kakudou for Adventure. It's why Apocalymon is created out of collective "dark thoughts", multiple plot points in 02 and some of the Drama CDs set between Adventure and 02 allude to this. The reason Cyber Sleuth and Survive picked it up is because Habu worked with Kakudou on Adventure PSP and liked the idea. With Tamers they wanted to "go back" to the VPet lore/ideas. The Xros Wars manga also dabbles into this lore as well, expanding into human cognition shaping reality to explain why every season has "different lore" and why the XW era had no levels/evolution. (they get levels and evolve at the end when humans start believing in change)

If you want to use the Megaten/Persona comparison yes it is very similar. The idea of the supernatural manifesting through electronics and the internet (a sea of information) accidentally connecting to the "Collective Unconscious" is used by a lot of media so I wouldn't say it's specifically copying that series.

Where did you get the description that there will be more Digimon based on supernatural and the urban legend intro to the show? I mean like yeah that's how a story using this lore could start but is there a source this specifically is being used for the show? Also there have always been Digimon based on mythology and urban legends, in fact there's probably more based on myth then "original" (if you count a dinosaur as "original")

Last edited:

TheImpster

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

This isn't a "new narrative", this specific lore was created by Konaka for Adventure. It's why Apocalymon is created out of collective "dark thoughts", multiple plot points in 02 and some of the Drama CDs set between Adventure and 02 allude to this. The reason Cyber Sleuth and Survive picked it up is because Habu worked with Konaka on Adventure PSP and liked the idea. With Tamers they wanted to "go back" to the VPet lore/ideas. The Xros Wars manga also dabbles into this lore as well, expanding into human cognition shaping reality to explain why every season has "different lore" and why the XW era had no levels/evolution. (they get levels and evolve at the end when humans start believing in change)

If you want to use the Megaten/Persona comparison yes it is very similar. The idea of the supernatural manifesting through electronics and the internet (a sea of information) accidentally connecting to the "Collective Unconscious" is used by a lot of media so I wouldn't say it's specifically copying that series.

Where did you get the description that there will be more Digimon based on supernatural and the urban legend intro to the show? I mean like yeah that's how a story using this lore could start but is there a source this specifically is being used for the show? Also there have always been Digimon based on mythology and urban legends, in fact there's probably more based on myth then "original" (if you count a dinosaur as "original")
Not konaka. Kakudou.

Ultimamon

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

Scooby Doo, but with Digimon? :p

Noticeably 'Ghostbusters: Afterlife' is coming out round about the same time. Whether that's just coincidence or not.

Well they're not above redesigning existing Digimon (glances at Xros)...

Perhaps they could dub it, EoTriceramon?

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
...You know... An anime styled Scooby Doo type show could have worked. That just might work out for a show. Just fit in some actual plot every few eps.

Mattman324

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Well they're not above redesigning existing Digimon (glances at Xros)...

Perhaps they could dub it, EoTriceramon?
Or they could just use other ceratopsians. Kentromon, Styracomon, Chasmomon... hell, get outside the basic mold and there's stuff like Yinlong that could probably be made into evolutions for the thing.

Ragnalord

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I am sure you all already know this but gammamon will obviously have a knight super hero like ultimate/mega form since it is mc digi.

e105zeta

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I am sure you all already know this but gammamon will obviously have a knight super hero like ultimate/mega form since it is mc digi.
Eh, I mean Shine Greymon was only vaguely Knight-like and Imperialdramon had to unlock his humanoid form.

Sparrow Hawk

How deep the rabbit-hole goes
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

Not every one have Knight-like partners. (Susanoomon, ShineGreymon Burst Mode *although he is pretty knight-ish but weird humanoid dino dragon digimon*, and Xros partners) but still I can say obviously Gammamon's Ultimate level will be 100% Humanoid form for sure.

But Lalamon kidnapped Rosemon into her line and some digifans tried to spread Lotusmon behind the concept is her true form and removed from her evo rumors at internet's corners. So... Gammamon will share his case with Gomamon's Ultimate form slot war or ends up in Adventure 2020 style for being able to evo into Triceramon like Agumon suddenly have BlitzGreymon and Palmon into Ponchomon with Patamon if experienced error data from Etemon/Volcamon's voice shattering sounds. TAKE YOUR POISON.

I'll take this poison of that combines every bit of it and make it acceptable. Because Gammamon is so damn cute. I openly welcome any weird cases as long as Gammamon gets a new evo line then secondary line will be whatever he wants to be! If he gets more appearances afterward.

Ragnalord

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Shinegreymon is no exception in my eyes

Tarama

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
To think that we are less than a year away from getting a new mascot digimon for 25th Anniversary, and a certain digitama Jesmon took in Chronicle X epilogue. And now Gammamon. Will be interesting year ahead.

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Oh hey, Question: Did Appmon use a lot of AR stuff? If not, and using "ghost", maybe they could use some more AR type things. Maybe Pokemon Go but like a full season.

McGann

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Oh hey, Question: Did Appmon use a lot of AR stuff? If not, and using "ghost", maybe they could use some more AR type things. Maybe Pokemon Go but like a full season.
In Appmon, they had the AR Field, which was like the network from the first 3 episodes of Adventure: 2020. It connected several Domed Modem Environments, the Net Ocean and the Dark Web. So not quite AR in the real world, though Appmon did often appear as ghost-like specters in the real world.

Digimonuniverse

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I think you guys are forgetting about digimon hunters, it had a world that resembles the real world by active the xros loader to get there, so my thought is that the digimon ghost game is similar to hunter not appmon. In the digivice v trailer it show that he active the watch then he enter the digital space where he can see the digimon and also the trailer you also see the original digimon there so I'm assuming the this is not a sub series and it like tamer, frontier, and saver with using digimon. Not new one like appmon did