Digimon: Ghost Game Announced at DigiFes

e105zeta

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I would be entirely happy if they tried something unique again, but they almost certainly won't, because they'll instead do something that works with the two products that are currently making money.

Hell to this day people are still trying to "complete" the Frontier lines by giving them Child levels
They're trying to "complete" lines because Frontier and the side material at the time gave 2 of the 10 lines a Child level form and then not the rest. It's the same reason people try to "complete" the lines by giving the 4 lines who don't have Double Spirit Evolution forms forms for that, and give the 8 lines that don't have Hyper Spirit Evolution forms those as well.
and no one talks about Digi-Xross fondly.
I personally loved it. No one talks about it fondly because no one asks without heavily implying it's shit, so why even bother.
It was potentially pretty great but adding progressively more toy kibble to Dorurumon’s body (since ironically the Dorurumon parts stand out the most) was underwhelming.

McGann

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Know what I like to see in the new anime, the characters having more than one partner like in the story games or Xross wars.

And might Pulsemon might still appear as secret extra like how they did with Ryo and cyberdramon or Keenan and Falcomon
Having only 3 humans would be perfect for dual partners. I think even 4 would be a bit much, because then you'd have a total of 12 characters they'd have to give equal focus too. But 9 is manageable, I think.
If the implication of the ad is that they're using the Vital Bracelet as the Digivice, then I hope they just have the one partner, but we see each of them explore a selection of alternate forms from their VB EVO tree, with each one expressing a different facet of the Tamer's personality.

Last edited:

GoggleBoy97

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I just hope they focus on world building and character development

Adventure: lacks soul.
I do hope it’s set in the same universe though. I don’t want new mechanics or gimmicks

I pray it’s just new Digimon. New bad guy. new team.
If you're not going to have it have anything to do with Adventure: Narratively, why even keep it in the same universe just for the sake of traditional evolution? Besides, if it weren't for new mechanics and gimmicks, we wouldn't have cool stuff like Jogress or Burst Modes. I know Spirit evolution and Digi-Xros missed the mark, but I don't see that as any reason to start playing it safe. Pokemon does that and, while it does reliably bring in new fans every generation, the lack of innovation tends to bore long time fans who eventually leave the franchise behind.
Spirit Evolution and DigiXros didn't the miss the mark, but more your personal expectations about it. The only actual patterns I have seen after meany years of being a Digimon fan is that Digimon almost always tries to innovate (Tags, Digimentals, Card Slash, DigiSpirits, X-Digimon, Digisoul, DigiXros, etc.) and that sequels tend to be kinda sloppy in terms of plot, mainly because they rely too much on characters that the audience previously know. The main reason that those seasons (Frontier, Xros Wars, Appmon if you will) didn't strive as the others is because most of the fandom of Digimon are stuck in older ideas and/or out-dated preconceptions of what Digimon is about. Ex. branched evolutions are more original to Digimon than linear ones, while anime-only fans tend to think the opposite.

All in all, it's funny seeing half of the people here wary about Ghost Game looking different from the rest, and the other half relieved that it's not Adventure-related, when eventually this two premises are going to be the same ones that haters will use to "justify" that the new series is bad or not on the same level of the rest, as it has already happened in the past.
Come on, personal feelings aside, I saw many people didn't like the humans becoming Digimon or a bunch of Digimon combining into a bigger Digimon. Hell to this day people are still trying to "complete" the Frontier lines by giving them Child levels, and no one talks about Digi-Xross fondly. Or at all really, at least not that I've seen. Last I even heard it mentioned was the overall relief that the Xross Wars lines were cleaned up by giving them a proper leveling system. That right there is proof that those gimmicks did not resonate with audience, so they indeed did miss the mark. People may like the Digimon and designs themselves, but not the concepts that created them.
But that that doesn't mean that they don't work per se. What you refer is that these gimmicks doesn't fit in the box that certain people want to put Digimon in, which is by the way, based on a misconception of how Digimon actually works. The Non-level system only works in-verse, but I agree in the long term making the Xros Wars Digimon blend into the main canon is quite problematic, hence why they fixed this issue not very long ago.

Anyways back on topic, I don't think this new series will have this discussion to begin with. With 3 Vital Bracelet v-pets confirmed for each main Digimon it's safe to assume they will follow linear evolution lines with maybe an additional extra twist.

Last edited:

humon

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I saw this on Twitter and thought it was cool

But looking at the Ghost Game cast... they DO have a little bit of a retro 70s vibe going! Dat turtleneck on Jellymon's partner.
Protagonist-boy has kind of small eyes too, which reminds me of older anime styles, as does the uneven thickness on the lineart, as though they want it to look like it's been drawn by hand. It's a little bit Speed Racer, a little bit Macross. A little.

Tarama

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The new Vital Bracelet is called Digivice V. It's obviously will be used in the anime. The anime always is there to promote the merchs, not the other way around. It's been like that since Adventure (1999).

And about the series gimmick or evolution, I think it's good if we have many branch evolutions based on situation or progress in the anime. Imagine if those three having many evolutions like Pulsemon. It doesn't have to be as many as Pulsemon's, maybe not 4 Adults for each Child, maybe there'll be only 2 Adult for each. But that's interesting.

The Chaos Entity

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The neither did the leaks say anything about how long this season would be nor is the new anime made to promote the VB, in fact is the other way around, the new VB were made to promote the anime, just like the Agumon and Gabumon dim cards were made to promote Adventure:.
This looks like Vital Bracelet to me though...

I have read that this is going to be from October to December anime, a mini series. I will try to find the source again.
I think you’re confused. As far as I recall, the source you’re referring to referred to the series starting ‘between September and December’ - as in, that it could start at any point during that time, not that it would run for that long. We now know that it begins at the very end of September/beginning of October, which falls into that window nicely. It will realistically last the same year-ish that every other Digimon anime has.

Nokasa

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
nothing says the series will be short, the only thing we have is that it will start airing in the fall of this year, which runs from October to December, but that doesn't mean the animation will only last that long, it means the animation will start between october and december, but it can take a long time to finish

Chimera-gui

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

I do hope it’s set in the same universe though. I don’t want new mechanics or gimmicks

If you're not going to have it have anything to do with Adventure: Narratively, why even keep it in the same universe just for the sake of traditional evolution? Besides, if it weren't for new mechanics and gimmicks, we wouldn't have cool stuff like Jogress or Burst Modes. I know Spirit evolution and Digi-Xros missed the mark, but I don't see that as any reason to start playing it safe. Pokemon does that and, while it does reliably bring in new fans every generation, the lack of innovation tends to bore long time fans who eventually leave the franchise behind.
Spirit Evolution and DigiXros didn't the miss the mark, but more your personal expectations about it. The only actual patterns I have seen after meany years of being a Digimon fan is that Digimon almost always tries to innovate (Tags, Digimentals, Card Slash, DigiSpirits, X-Digimon, Digisoul, DigiXros, etc.) and that sequels tend to be kinda sloppy in terms of plot, mainly because they rely too much on characters that the audience previously know. The main reason that those seasons (Frontier, Xros Wars, Appmon if you will) didn't strive as the others is because most of the fandom of Digimon are stuck in older ideas and/or out-dated preconceptions of what Digimon is about. Ex. branched evolutions are more original to Digimon than linear ones, while anime-only fans tend to think the opposite.

All in all, it's funny seeing half of the people here wary about Ghost Game looking different from the rest, and the other half relieved that it's not Adventure-related, when eventually this two premises are going to be the same ones that haters will use to "justify" that the new series is bad or not on the same level of the rest, as it has already happened in the past.
Come on, personal feelings aside, I saw many people didn't like the humans becoming Digimon or a bunch of Digimon combining into a bigger Digimon. Hell to this day people are still trying to "complete" the Frontier lines by giving them Child levels, and no one talks about Digi-Xross fondly. Or at all really, at least not that I've seen. Last I even heard it mentioned was the overall relief that the Xross Wars lines were cleaned up by giving them a proper leveling system. That right there is proof that those gimmicks did not resonate with audience, so they indeed did miss the mark. People may like the Digimon and designs themselves, but not the concepts that created them.
But that that doesn't mean that they don't work per se. What you refer is that these gimmicks doesn't fit in the box that certain people want to put Digimon in, which is by the way, based on a misconception of how Digimon actually works. The Non-level system only works in-verse, but I agree in the long term making the Xros Wars Digimon blend into the main canon is quite problematic, hence why they fixed this issue not very long ago.
I actually like both Hybrids and DigiXross and think they were fine as in theory, the problem was in the execution more than anything.

For example human/Digimon hybrids are not an inherently bad concept, we've had this since arguably Arachnemon and Mummymon in 02 with the Biomerge Megas of Tamers and Bio-Hybrids in Data Squad. The problem is that Frontier made it a Level restricted to roughly 20 or so species rather than a broader class that be applied to basically any Digimon even though the description given in Profile reports would more sense if Hybrid was the latter.

Likewise DigiXross wasn't bad in its native series since it's basically an advanced form of Jogress/Fusion, the issue was more in how the resulting forms would be categorized as life cycle stages hence why Digimon did not have levels in Xros Wars' universe and the Reference Book wouldn't apply the classical Level system to Digimon introduced in XW until October of last year.

Tetsuya Suoh

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

Come on, personal feelings aside, I saw many people didn't like the humans becoming Digimon or a bunch of Digimon combining into a bigger Digimon. Hell to this day people are still trying to "complete" the Frontier lines by giving them Child levels, and no one talks about Digi-Xross fondly. Or at all really, at least not that I've seen. Last I even heard it mentioned was the overall relief that the Xross Wars lines were cleaned up by giving them a proper leveling system. That right there is proof that those gimmicks did not resonate with audience, so they indeed did miss the mark. People may like the Digimon and designs themselves, but not the concepts that created them.g

My main problem with the Xros Wars and Frontier gimmicks is that it makes it harder for them to appear in games and other spin-off media. Cyber Sleuth for example has much less digimon from Frontier and Xros Wars than any other anime. Honestly though I dont know why Cyber Sleuth didnt just retcon them so they could appear in the game better.
I've actually stated before how easy it would be to make the Hybrids, at least the partnered ones, work in a game.
Make both the Human and Beast Hybrids Adult level.
Make the Fusion hybrids Perfect level Jogresses. (Just give the Beasr Spirits higher base stats to maintain the lore of them being stronger than the Human Hybrids)
Make the Trancendat Hybrids Ultimate Levels that evolve directly from the Flame and Light Fusion Hybrids respectively.
Keep Susanoomon a Super Umtimate level Jogress of KaiserGreymon and MagnaGarurumon.
Xross Wars is admittedly more difficult thoguh.

Anyways back on topic, I don't think this new series will have this discussion to begin with. With 3 Vital Bracelet v-pets confirmed for each main Digimon it's safe to assume they will follow linear evolution lines with maybe an additional extra twist.
I think there may be a fundamental misunderstanding by what I mean when I say they "missed the mark"
I wasn't talking about the difficulty of implementation, but the fan reception they received. Both where said to be "too much like power rangers"
The complaint with Spirit ebolition was that people didn't like the fact that the humans became Digimon rather than having proper partners, and that Digi-Xross felt more like megazords than Digimon. I never really saw anyone complain about them being hard to implement in games.

Prodigious

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I

Come on, personal feelings aside, I saw many people didn't like the humans becoming Digimon or a bunch of Digimon combining into a bigger Digimon. Hell to this day people are still trying to "complete" the Frontier lines by giving them Child levels, and no one talks about Digi-Xross fondly. Or at all really, at least not that I've seen. Last I even heard it mentioned was the overall relief that the Xross Wars lines were cleaned up by giving them a proper leveling system. That right there is proof that those gimmicks did not resonate with audience, so they indeed did miss the mark. People may like the Digimon and designs themselves, but not the concepts that created them.g

My main problem with the Xros Wars and Frontier gimmicks is that it makes it harder for them to appear in games and other spin-off media. Cyber Sleuth for example has much less digimon from Frontier and Xros Wars than any other anime. Honestly though I dont know why Cyber Sleuth didnt just retcon them so they could appear in the game better.
I've actually stated before how easy it would be to make the Hybrids, at least the partnered ones, work in a game.
Make both the Human and Beast Hybrids Adult level.
Make the Fusion hybrids Perfect level Jogresses. (Just give the Beasr Spirits higher base stats to maintain the lore of them being stronger than the Human Hybrids)
Make the Trancendat Hybrids Ultimate Levels that evolve directly from the Flame and Light Fusion Hybrids respectively.
Keep Susanoomon a Super Umtimate level Jogress of KaiserGreymon and MagnaGarurumon.
Xross Wars is admittedly more difficult thoguh.

I think there may be a fundamental misunderstanding by what I mean when I say they "missed the mark"
I wasn't talking about the difficulty of implementation, but the fan reception they received. Both where said to be "too much like power rangers"
The complaint with Spirit ebolition was that people didn't like the fact that the humans became Digimon rather than having proper partners, and that Digi-Xross felt more like megazords than Digimon. I never really saw anyone complain about them being hard to implement in games.
I disliked xros evolution simply because most of them looked like mechas bar minervamon

the Digimon looked liked toys. It was awful. The series weren’t bad but it was the franchises more obvious attempt at selling toys.

I don’t pay attention to things outside of the anime so the levelling system in games is beyond me

I hope the new series sticks to traditional evolution. It can introduce something new/gimmicky, but ultimately I want to see rookie-champion-ultimate-mega-super mega

e105zeta

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
the Digimon looked liked toys. It was awful. The series weren’t bad but it was the franchises more obvious attempt at selling toys.
All main character Digimon are designed to be toys but yeah - Dorurumon joints everywhere wasn’t a great look.

And pretty much all of Shoutmon’s forms past X2 looked like someone butchered a robot white lion and stuck it back together with cheap glue. And then kept on adding random bits of broken toys to it.

They didn’t just look like toys, they looked like cheap bootleg toys.

I would actually argue that Shoutmon X3 and up looked significantly worse than Voltron or most Zords.

And Dorurumon wasn’t even the main Digimon but that’s what all of the “Shoutmon” forms resembled the most.

Taichi-Mon

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I’ll laugh if they actually find a way to work Taichi into this.
in the final battle, taichi sacrefice himself and sucked into the ghost game universe LOL

Tortoiseshel

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Xros Wars' biggest problem IMO is that all the protagonist Xrosses are too Shoutmon-centric. Appmon I think did the "toyetic fusing monsters" concept way better.

Chimera-gui

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Xros Wars' biggest problem IMO is that all the protagonist Xrosses are too Shoutmon-centric. Appmon I think did the "toyetic fusing monsters" concept way better.
It helps that for Applink and App Fusion, Bandai clearly learned from the mistake I mentioned above regarding what results in a distinct species.

Louise

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I have nothing to add in the way of speculation, I just want to say how hype I am for this. Gammamon gives me Guilmon vibes in the best way. I adore that little guy already. I'm so happy we get new Digimon for the main cast.

TheImpster

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Gammamon gives me Guilmon vibes in the best way.
Really? To me he almost feels like the opposite of guilmon. Guilmon was a large carnivorous and potentially violent Digimon. Gammamon looks small, is based off a herbivore and looks a lot friendlier.

Sparrow Hawk

How deep the rabbit-hole goes
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Gammamon really gives me Guilmon vibes. Also I'm starting to think he is almost similar to Herissmon and Hackmon in almost every way. Friendliness and same colors besides cuteness. Gammamon look like V-mon with Dinosaur body style.

Jeez Gammamon is getting more fans over Angoramon and Jellymon.

Mon-Ohma

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I‘m personally hoping Gammamon gets quadrupedal evolutions, including the final stage. Which would be refreshing over another Humanoid for the designated lead.

Gunomon

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
What does the ghost game mean? Show your theories