Digimon Game Translation Project: An Idea

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
A while back I bought a copy of Digimon Adventure for the PSP and started two save files on it, one in which I simply play through and one in which I attempt to translate the game's dialogue. As might be expected, things are going much, much slower in the second file. I have episode 1 fully translated, episode 2 done except for a few lines, first extra episode only barely begun, and that's it. Lines that I've been unable to figure out have been left in Japanese in the Word file I use for translations, and if I continue working like this by myself the game will probably never be finished.

But it occurred to me that it was a relatively quick process for me to convert the dialogue in the game into Japanese text, and now I'm thinking that it might be useful to do so for Adventure and other Japanese Digimon games I buy so that I can post the text online. That way forumgoers and others interested in helping can translate however much or little of the text they're inclined to. I'm thinking maybe we could create an online document that could be modified by people who ask to be given access to it (obviously some sort of screening process would be involved). Probably I would somewhere keep files with each game's original Japanese text in case any of the translations look suspicious.

By nature this would have to be a community project. With this post I'm trying to build forum support for it. Does anyone else think this is a good idea? Are there translators who might be interested in something like that, which they can help with in their free time? Are there other forum members who would be willing to help oversee the project? Some of the games might never be finished, but at least there would be a better chance of progress, and our knowledge of their storylines would be more complete than they are at the moment.

Last edited:

Chaotic Fear

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I support this project. In spirit. I can't help translate myself.

Google Docs does allow you to select certain users to be able to edit and others to only view. There are probably other solutions out there but many people are already familiar with it. You can add comments to sections of the document and on the right end of the toolbar is a drop down where you can select "suggesting" instead of "editing", which might be really useful features for this use. I think you can also give users permissions on entire directories as well, plus you can sync to your PC for automatic backup with Google Drive's desktop app.