Digimon electronics communication project

BladeSabre

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
JfIAV3w.jpg

I designed a tool to communicate with Digimon toys via the battle connector. It's compatible with a range of 2-prong and 3-prong devices (no IR yet), for battle, trade, copy and jogress. Uses include helping to raise Digimon, battling with other people remotely, and of course research.

----ORIGINAL POST----

Those of you who have been around for a long time might have heard of this before. I made some big improvements in the last few days, and now I'm going to share it :)

It can communicate with a range of 2-prong and 3-prong devices (no IR yet), for battle, trade and jogress.

If there are any electronics hobbyists here who might consider building one, please let me know. I can still make it easier to do. (Guests, feel free to email me.)

Even if I'm the only person who ever uses one of these, it has answered questions of wider interest over the years, and there may still be more such answers to come.

Last edited:

Bombfuse

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I haven't seen this on the forums before. Would you mind directing me to the thread originally made or explaining what this is?

BladeSabre

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
You're right, the posts were a long time ago and pretty scattered. Looks like this is the only thing I made a new thread about: http://withthewill.net/threads/11921-Connection-analysis.
(Edit: Hah, I found some files which suggest the original threads I was thinking of were actually on Net Ocean in 2006, so hardly anyone here will have seen them, and fewer still will remember. My sense of time is a strange thing :cool:)

It talks to V-Pets and Digivices using the battle connectors. You send it commands from a computer over USB, and it reports the results back. These results can be saved and used later - it can pretend to be anything that was saved previously. As I said in the first post, "It can communicate with a range of 2-prong and 3-prong devices, for battle, trade and jogress." I used previous versions to find out what the toys were saying, and run various tests.

Da_Duke2000

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I want to know EVERYTHING about this. And I mean, parts, coding, ability to program, mass produce, connectivity, etc.

EDIT: On second thought. Since I have a business to run, have no time, but sufficient money to burn, make me one :D. I would gladly commission one. Then, I can build a nice sexy housing for it. Heck, I've got a scrap V-Pet that I can even wire up for connectivity.

Umm...Why don't you PM me, heh.

Last edited:

BladeSabre

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I just spent 5 days on this that I didn't really have spare, so going to be pretty busy for the next while ;)

The project is bigger than most V-Pets and attached to a USB cable: one of the previous versions had the connectors mounted on the side, but having them on wires is actually much easier to use. I'd also like to sort out a double-sided connector that can be squeezed directly between two V-Pets, so I don't have to mess around with elastic bands. (Not sure if my software currently works right for two V-Pets, but if I broke it at some point it should be simple enough to fix.)

I'm waiting for a PCB with the connector layout on it. If it works, I can get more made. There would be an argument for designing a PCB for the circuit too; I'll think about that later...

You could buy an Arduino Uno and get acquainted with it.

Ras Yahni

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This is brilliant, I love it! What are the odds of being able to turn something like this into a universal D-link compatibility device? Ie, translating Pendulum battle info into something readable by a mini and vice versa?

Flamon

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Have you by chance looked into seeing or confirmed if the Digimon Link System is truly a protocol standard between digivices?

BladeSabre

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
What are the odds of being able to turn something like this into a universal D-link compatibility device? Ie, translating Pendulum battle info into something readable by a mini and vice versa?
I don't think so, because of the timing. You would have to read the whole packet from one device, decide what it means, and then start sending a different packet to the other device, and by then you're too late.

Have you by chance looked into seeing or confirmed if the Digimon Link System is truly a protocol standard between digivices?
What do you mean? All the 2-prong and 3-prong devices take turns to send 16-bit packets (2-prong done slightly differently from 3-prong). The meaning of the bits varies wildly depending on which device and what it's doing.

BladeSabre

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The first connector PCB wasn't quite right. Waiting for the second version currently. And I had a go at doing a PCB for the circuit. If this all works, I could reasonably make a few of these devices.

1FrFPbf.png

Dye8GaZ.png

Ras Yahni

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
*Much excite*

Gennaimon

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Hello, I want to download the files but they no longer exist.

I want to make a cheat device (my computer) to power up my vpet. I need metal greymon.

compmike19

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Great project! I would love to be able to use my PC instead of the Digimon Virtual Pets to link to my Wonderswan. After looking around the prices seem very high on any of the V1 - V5 Virtual Pets. Then it's a shame that the 20th Anniversary VPet will not link to the Wonderswan.

Hbit

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This sounds left field ( I just bought the wonderswan ver. while waiting for my ver. 20 to arrive) But how do we know that it won't connect with the wonderswan ver. ? Has someone tried it? Or is there a compatibility chart out there that I haven't seen?
Edit: It was in the news that I failed to read.
On topic: This is really cool. I know nothing about how to put this together but I'm going to try and follow along your notes as much as possible. Is this still on hiatus or has the ver. 20s got you in the mood to test again?

Last edited:

BladeSabre

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
On topic: This is really cool. I know nothing about how to put this together but I'm going to try and follow along your notes as much as possible. Is this still on hiatus or has the ver. 20s got you in the mood to test again?

I've not entirely been paying attention about the 20th anniversary ones, though I might regret that, as they're only going to get more expensive.

I was sort of thinking about trying to solve the IR devices.

If you don't know electronics, I don't really recommend trying to build this. You might break your V-Pets.

Thebigboss1206

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Can you re-upload the project file zip, please? Thanks.

BladeSabre

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I decided to design some new connector PCBs. Submitted a case-mounting version to OSH Park today. If it works out, I'll try one for holding in the hand too.

I bought a 20th anniversary V-Pet since the above post about it. (It cost somewhat more than it would have if I'd been onto it at the time.) I'd probably need 2 of them to do much connection research though.

BladeSabre

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Thanks for the links! I'll look through them a little at a time to see if they have anything I missed. I think I basically knew all that, but this person has gone the extra step of documenting the protocols in detail for other people. Sometime I should write up my findings properly!

I thought for a moment they had solved the IR Digimon, but looks like they actually made IR communication for original V-Pets.

I'm getting a good read on the iC and Twin IR signals now. Next need to figure out what they mean...