Digimon Data Link - Burst

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewsBot

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This was posted on the Entertainment Earth Site

"Based on the 5th season of Digimon: Data Squad, this wave 2 set of toys and figures feature the fierce digital monsters portrayed in the animated series. The Digivice DataLink is an electronic toy for boys that enable them to enact fierce battles with their virtual Digimon monsters. This set of 2 pieces contains the following: 1x Shine Grey Mega (Burst), and 1x Mirage Gao Mega (Burst) Subject to change.) Each Digivice DataLink electronic toy includes one character that boys can groom, feed, train and prepare for Digital monster battles with other Digimon owners. Using the unit's infra-red technology, boys can "battle" their monsters while trying to defend the universe and to gain their opponent's DNA skills. With the DNA scanner feature, boys can also collect DNA skills for their electronic digital monster by collecting and scanning the DNA metal chips included in the Digimon character action figure sets. The unit also includes 7 mini games that boys can play to train their digital monster in battling skills and strength training exercises. Boys can also play any of the mini games to earn points to purchase exclusive items or to unlock unique, new characters."

It seems that the motion sensor is gone & replaced by some tacky looking sticker.

They state it's out in August while other sites still state July.

-- <span style="font-variant: small-caps; font-size: 9pt;">Vande</span>

Source: Entertainment Earth ()

Bakuryu Asuka

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Not new to me.

So I guess there won't be an Airsignal feature. Makes me wonder how to archieve Burst Mode in these.
Probably by the Items they are talking about.

I might be wrong, but do these look somehow cuter and more toy-like, compared to the japanese version?

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
If they do then they may have been made to look more toy like. For some reason.

takayusyaoran

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'll probably wind up getting one of these since my wallet cannot justify the import of one of the originals.
I'm surprised that it looks so different than the original one though. I wasn't expecting all the features to be kept, but it just looks rather cheap now.

I have to laugh at the article/advert though.
It may aswell just say "This product is not for girls, fack off Yoshi wannabes!"

DigistarDBZ

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Oh, we are so not going to repeat the gender wars we had upon reading the last toy statement from Bandai. :|

And I'm serious. This thread is about the toy itself, not about how much they hawk the toy as "something for boys" even though there are plenty of females here that buy them too.

So take the gender wars somewhere else, because you don't want to find out what will happen if you don't.

DarkTamer Steph

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Actually... If I knew that they didn't have the electronics bits and such..

It would look like something you would find in a McDonald's Happy Meal.

That's just how cheap the product in pictures looks. It's like... I dunno I see it and imagine it just being something you could drop and hear this clack. Not like.. you'd drop it and be freaking out it would break, but a clack. Take one of the older McDonald's toys, when they were worth getting, and drop it in your kitchen- that's really the best way I can describe it.

Airdra

Seized the time
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'm hoping it's just a combination of this being poorly done lighting and a picture of an early prototype but, yeah, it's not looking too promising. >_> It's really suffering from the Air Signal change.

celestial_sacred

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It surely looks cheap there. Can't put high hopes on this though.. >_>

BlitzkrieGreymon

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
They don't look too bad to me, but then again I never have high hopes for Bandai of America. Every time I see a picture of one of their products any thought of possible disappointment is completely overcome by the thought "That's right, its BoA"

IshidaKitsu

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Even the old Digivices weren't this bad... I guess they don't expect it to sell too well, or maybe its just the day and age we are living in now where its all about selling cheap junk for profit...

takayusyaoran

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
[quote author=DigistarDBZ link=topic=9127.msg110018#msg110018 date=1214633940]
Oh, we are so not going to repeat the gender wars we had upon reading the last toy statement from Bandai. :|

And I'm serious. This thread is about the toy itself, not about how much they hawk the toy as "something for boys" even though there are plenty of females here that buy them too.

So take the gender wars somewhere else, because you don't want to find out what will happen if you don't.
[/quote]

Ahem.

I'd like to take this time to just say that I was not trying to cause any sort of war, and not to seem rude, but I would appreciate that my statement wasn't taken on the assumption that it was.
I understand that words are hard to interperate on the internet without any sort of smiley or double re-assurance of what is implied. Mainly, I don't want to come off as a smart ass here, so don't take what I'm saying as an attack, or me pushing my luck.

I've never gotten into a "gender war" on this forum, and I don't intend on starting one.
My comment about the article itself was more of a sidenote or a final train of thought on how one-tracked the statement is.

So, apologies for any misunderstanding.

Now, getting back to the toy itself:

My initial comment was about how cheap the product looked compared to the original, but again, I will probably end up getting one because I do want a Digivice Burst, and my wallet can't justify importing the Japanese one despite the features and detail that was put into it.

But then again, I'm judging off a rather small image, not an actual photograph of the toy in or out of it's packaging, so it could look alot better...
Wait... I never realised that image was clickable... [opens full size]

Ok, after looking at the full thing, I do agree with Steph that it looks like a McDonalds toy.
BUT! For some strange reason, I'm still ok with it.
While it does look like a McDonalds toy, it also looks like they pulled it from the show itself, which is probably what they were going for if they wanted to market it to the target demograph.

Looking at the Japanese version, it looks like it was made for the older group that Savers was marketed to, so it makes sense that the toy would have an older, not so childish feel to it.

For me, the loss of the air signal isn't really that big a deal since I would probably only use the thing for Cosplay purposes like I do with my iC, and not carry it around with me and raise the V-Pet.
So while it does look and will more than likely feel a heck of a lot differently than the Japanese version, I suppose I can understand the method to the madness, and accept the toy for what it will be.

Now, can we get it in Banchou Yellow? XD

WarOmnimon

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
[darthvader]NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO![/darthvader]

First the Power Rangers fans get the cheap brand lettuce during the Operation Overdrive line, now the Digimon fans get the same thing?! This proves that Bandai America is putting too much focus elsewhere. It's times like these that make me REALLY wish I could remember where I put my D-Gather.

If Bandai America screws up with the next Tamagotchi merchandise OR the Power Rangers RPM line, they're losing me as a customer. I've finally drawn the line.

Bakuryu Asuka

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Taling about the US Version of the Mecha, eh? Including "You call them Zords? I call them slippers!"

But since the cheap Digivices get cancelled, it is a different kind of lecture!

Airdra

Seized the time
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'm personally hoping it's just an issue with Entertainment Earth and that the toys will still be released...maybe...>_>;; I'll wait until the end of August before I really pitch a fit about it. XD

tekufreak72

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
They WILL be released. A while ago i sent an e-mail to bandai asking when they would be released and they told me shipments had already been sent out or are already in store warehouses.

WarOmnimon

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'm calling Bandai's bluff on that quote for two reasons.

First, the Data Link Burst has yet to appear anywhere, even on eBay.

Second, the Digimon Data Squad merchandise is on the clearance shelf at Wal-Mart (At least my own local one). If that's not saying anything about the future of the Data Squad line, I don't know what is.

On another note, it is seeming that the Tamagotchi V6 will be based on the Tamagotchi Music Fever that was released in Japan, give or take two or three years ago, whereas Japan will be getting a new Tamagotchi pet with a color screen. If this holds true, Bandai America's about to lose my business big time. (Apologies for the mini-rant, I just had to state that somewhere.)

Status
Not open for further replies.