Digimon D&D

Zepavil

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
So recently I started doing a digimon D&D with my friends and wanted to post about it here. I wasn't sure which sub-forum to post it to but realised that this could also be an opportunity to some extent if some of you wanted to try this stuff out. Not sure if I wanna DM this on two fronts, but I'll post the information that I've created for this loose campaign here.

So my buds and I recently got into D&D this year, and I wanted to DM for the next get-together, and I chose to make from scratch a system based around digimon. Different rules and gameplay, as is the usual when you wanna make a completely custom D&D.

So I gave 'em a list of rookies to start with and a basic set up based on Digimon World 1. You're all part of a village located in the forests of File Island. You've been raised here your whole life, but over time, digimon in the village have left due to the presence of bandit Goblimon that patrol the forests. Jijimon, the old (and dying) village chieftain asks them to make a choice. Forget about the village and explore the world, or face the Goblimon to bring peace back to their homes in hopes that the digimon may one day return.

Now the team is currently made up of an Agumon, Gabumon, Guilmon, Lopmon, Dracomon and a very weak Lucemon. And they go 'yep gonna save the village'. They encounter two Goblimon scouts near the abandoned Training Grounds, but after a small beat up, let em go because it's the right thing to do. Only the Gabumon challenged their 'leader', and Ogremon, to a fight. So, next session is gonna be a lot of fun, when the Ogremon shows up with the Goblimon they beat up real bad and goes 'Hey remember this guy you spared? Heh, time for him to die."

Link to the picture of the dude below.

http://imgur.com/EVcjxab

And, of course, yes, that is a Devimon arm attached to his left arm and the broken blade of a Knightmon's Sword in his right hand. (It's a battle trophy.)

Either way, I've got some character sheets for it and well, you're free to use 'em if you want.

Links below.

http://imgur.com/YR8JkrE

http://imgur.com/JxMZIsI

Now the way it works is incredible simple stats taken from Digimon World 1 (too). So, here is a list of what they mean.

Digimon is obviously for the species of Digimon.

Level is the digivolution level.

Attribute is for Vaccine, Virus or Data.

Tech Element is the element of your choosing for the digimon. Rookies have 1 element, champions and ultimates have 2, megas and above have 3+. The elements are as follows: Fire, Water, Air, Earth, Cold, Mech, Holy, Dark, and Battle. An example is that Agumon has Fire, Greymon has Fire + Battle, MetalGreymon has Fire + Mech, and Wargreymon would be Fire + Mech + Battle.

Lives relate to how many times your digimon can fall to 0 HP before they permanently die. (Notice a lot of callbacks to Digimon World 1.)

HP and MP are self explanatory and serve no real other function.

ATK is related to damage dealt and willpower.

DEF is related to the ability to negate damage, while also resisting status effects.

SPD is related to initiative and evasion. An example being that the one with the highest speed goes first.

BRN is related to charisma and intellect, mostly relating to outside of battle activities.

Movement is based on SPD. Every 5 speed stat increases your movement by 1, which is how far you can move in one turn.

Range is related purely based on items and the digimon. Like, Commandramon would have 3 or more range because, well, gun. Normally, this is simply 1.

Strength is the fusion of ATK and DEF and determines how much you can carry.

Critical is the chance to deal vital damage during an attack. This has a base of 5 and s increased by 1 with every 5 SPD, so technically at 10 you would only need to roll 19 to land a critical hit, and every 5 lowers that by 1.

BATTLE NO. is the amount of battles you've won.

Fame is based on battles won, quests completed and actions performed. This increases the chance of people knowing you.

Alignment should be obvious to the next 2.

Experience relates to how well you perform in the field. Every time something significant is completed, you gain 1 EXP. You can trade 5 EXP for 3 increased Stats.

Special Qualities relate to a digimon's abilities. Say, Wargreymon, for example, would have 'flight' and 'deals extra damage to -dramon digimon.'

Special Attacks are unique to every digimon. No one has the exact same move. They are powerful, and thus, require mana to use.

The chart is to keep chart of the many digivolution paths you make.

Tech Moves are moves based off a Tech Element that digimon at that Level and Element can learn. Of course, I've made my own for my D&D, but feel free to go bananas with these. However, remember that these don't require mana, and thus, usually have some drawback like low success rates or deals less damage than a normal attack.

Bits is how much cash you have.

Finally, Inventory is where you store your goods. The amounts of goods is determined by your Strength.

Now, if you have questions I can answer, I shall, but for the most part this is a base for you to use for your own sessions if you want. Feel free to fill in the blanks with your own ideas. Just remember that the dice still rules all.

Thanks for reading this far if you have!

miru

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Yeah, I'm making a Digimon GURPS campaign based on Tamers with combat rules that are a hybrid of DMPC and World, with features such as multiple Digivolution methods (Jogress, Armor, Spirit, Matrix, Warp, Blast, Biomerge, etc). Soon, I'll add things like natural/permanent evolution (made distinct from the artificial "Digivolution")

Jmac28211

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'm homebrewing a Mutants and Masterminds Digimon campaign right now. It's probably going to be a Savers-esque world with some Tamers and V-Tamer lore thrown in as background info.

Zepavil

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
That's awesome! Mutiple digivolution methods is something I've done too. Practically, you can become any digimon if you have the right prerequisite. Such as, a large amount of that digimon's code. Of course, the ones in that digivolution line are gonna achieve the same form but with more ease. A good question I have is that how are you guys incorporating humans? My D&D focuses solely on Digimon. Are you guys making the player characters digidestined or Digimon the same as I?