Digimon Chronicle X Update- Chapter 18!

Sparrow Hawk

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Odd? Yeah it does. They just left Patamon's evo line with X antibody out and gave us... Pegasmon X plus Tokomon X's official art while managed to complete Tailmon's whole evo line with Xs (No Mastemon X yet)... We finally got Great ArchAngels but nooo. Seraphimon X didn't happen. It only made me always wondered why just Pegasmon X whose is only the newest X Armor one not Patamon's which just fit X3's color perfectly and he's a member of Great Archangel... It saddened me this X3 is the last trilogy.

I could never understand them and their decisions in behind scenes. I mean, it's just too perfect chance to give us X forms of SGDL, Royal Knights and Great Archangels at once so we can finally move on to Olympus twelve, Banchou, Journey to the West, Deva, Holy Beasts and Vortex Warriors!

But Digimon Anniversary is still going on so I'm still happy they probably will continue it who knows how long it takes years to finish this anniversary? The future will bless us with more new products!

MFbM

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I like the throwback to the friendship of Tailmon and Wizarmon from Adventure.

Notus

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The Adventure homage is pretty nice. I like how Angewomon X's design incorporates some religious aspects to her and gave the Holy Bow and Arrow a physical form, it only needs a weapon name now.

kintang

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Looking at Angewomon X, I kinda hope Ophanimon X will look like this:

Last edited:

Sparrow Hawk

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I wonder where is this come from? That's awesome design.

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Cleaned up the translation.

Seymour Butz

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The reuse of the Tailmon–Wizarmon relationship in ×ros Wars was already pretty blatant fan service, but at least that 1) was the first time they rehashed it, 2) didn’t involve VamDemon, and 3) had the justification of being alternate-timeline versions of the original characters rather than just being blithely coincidental. This is just hacky.

I do like Angewomon's mitre-mask, and how her clothing seems to be based on religious priest/bishop clothing.
I guess Bandai’s heard of the Amazon Synod, KEK. But unlike Holy Angemon’s distinctively pointed face plate, her hat really doesn’t resemble the mitre so much as the generic cylindrical headgear of any magic user in an MMO anime — some of which look considerably more like an actual mitre — and her clothing is the same, not bearing any resemblance to actual clerical vestments (again, unlike Holy Angemon’s).

But it is a good design, notwithstanding. I like very much that it has resuscitated a tradition in X-antibody designs that had previously appeared discarded, namely: presenting the Xevolution as a sort of half-evolution that begins to resemble the digimon’s next form — in this case, Ophanimon. Note the more defined cross on her mask, the apparent transformation of her sash into metal wings, the plume emerging from her head, the golden bow, the oversized mantle, the gossamer gown protruding from beneath a stiffer layer of skirts. The incorporation of pastels into her wings is a nice callback to her original design too, and the choice of blue and green for two of them may also be an allusion to Ophanimon’s colour scheme, though perhaps not. And she follows the trend of modern Xevolutions in fantastically elaborating upon the original concept, in this case the wing and feather imagery that is now more clearly evident in her now-metallic sash (which also forms a cleverly disguised ‘X’ shape) and even the fringes of her clothing. Really, a very well-done design.

Wizarmon X is kind of what I’d imagine Wizarmon X to be. Points for turning his hand-hole into an ‘X’, and disguising another one as a set of eyes on his left leg, parallel to the eyes on the right leg in the original design.

Last edited:

Sparrow Hawk

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Thanks Zeus Thrist that's quite heavy equipment for her. Her shoulders will get so stiff.

Hey Wizarmon X's larger pic arrived at twitter.

He got five X shaped ones. Not sure what I am seeing but that eyepatch got stitches into its flesh? Haven't seen that such old tradition for sooo long time!
I hope the official profile will mention about that red book. Nice Yusei Marking on his eye which I thought X antibody oddly gave him eye bags
Glad the staff ended up being the part of its clothes. Look like all wands and staffs aren't needed in X eh? Poor Panjyamon X.

YongYoKyo

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I guess Bandai’s heard of the Amazon Synod, KEK. But unlike Holy Angemon’s distinctively pointed face plate, her hat really doesn’t resemble the mitre so much as the generic cylindrical headgear of any magic user in an MMO anime — some of which look considerably more like an actual mitre — and her clothing is the same, not bearing any resemblance to actual clerical vestments (again, unlike Holy Angemon’s).
I never said her clothing were historically accurate to real priests, if it wasn't already obvious from how most of it looks like lingerie. I also don't see the need to over-analyze and nitpick how historically accurate a Digimon's design is, as everything is meant to be fantasy and fictional. It's enough to know the overall intent and theme. Dukemon's armor is clearly unrealistic and inaccurate towards actual medieval knight's armor, but it's obviously meant to be a knight's armor.

Regardless of whether it's closer to fantasy-style saintess robes or realistic Catholic priestwear, it's undeniable that the intent is clearly meant to evoke holy garments.

Seymour Butz

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Don’t get defensive. My point is that it looks cribbed from generic fantasy anime motifs, which are themselves heavily informed by the clerical dress of Asian religions — from the cylindrical box hat to the flaring mantle to the straight red borders — rather than from those of a Catholic priest; unlike Holy Angemon’s face plate, and also unlike Dukemon’s armour, which, however fantastical, very obviously takes its inspiration from that of a Mediæval knight, rather than that of a samurai. I’m sure this escapes the notice of people who aren’t particularly acquainted with these differences, but for those of us who are, it’s much more impressive when the designers reach for a deep cut.

Last edited:

YongYoKyo

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
You've missed my point. Regardless of historical inaccuracies stemming from pop-culture tropes and fantasy stereotypes of priestwear, Angewomon X is clearly and obviously meant to evoke Western religious garments. You wouldn't mistake her for a Buddhist monk or a Taoist priest; nor would you mistake her as a Deva or a Xianxia immortal, instead of a Western angel.

For example, horned helmets aren't historically accurate to vikings, yet they still evoke viking clothing. Ninjas don't actually dress in the stereotypical black ninja garb, but they are still clearly ninjas. A holy angel wearing fantasy-style saintly robes is still clearly meant to evoke a Western saintess or priestess.

Seymour Butz

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
But that only works because she also has angel wings, angel wing decorations, and a cross right smack dab in the middle of her face — all of which were true of the original AngeWomon. Now in that context, sure, the first thing that comes to mind is a Catholic priest. I’m not contesting that. I’m just saying that the outfit kind of sucks because without the aforementioned — if you plucked out all the feathers and hid that cross — those clothes would absolutely evoke this hat or this hat on the right or these robes just as much as this or this or arguably even this. They evoke Western religious garments, in other words, not because they actually resemble Western religious garments, but because they attach other Western religious imagery to otherwise generic robes. I don’t expect painstaking historical accuracy — I’m not asking that her clothes turn black for Good Friday, red for Pentecost, and pink for the fourth Sunday of Lent and the third Sunday of Advent — but this shit here isn’t much better than if you had taken a judge’s black robe or a doctor’s white lab coat and slapped a crucifix on it, even though those would also bring to mind ‘priestly garments’ if you put them on a literal angel. It’s the angel motif that’s doing all the heavy lifting here, while the priest motif is generic to the point of just being along for the ride, which I think is a real shame. That’s my gripe.

Last edited:

YongYoKyo

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I think you'll particularly reaching with those examples. Angewomon's hat is nothing like those examples. It's not box-shaped or flat; its front half is clearly pointed upwards. If you think about its frontal profile, it should form a rounded diamond-like silhouette, very similar to a mitre.

As for the robes, those robes aren't particularly any more similar to Angewomon's robes than the priests' robes, which I suppose is your point. It's very clear that the designer focused more on a "holy goddess" aesthetic, rather than referencing any realistic or historical priestwear.

Theigno

Supper Mοderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I really really hope that this break from Royal Knights shenanigans lasts for more than one chapter, the exploits of lower level characters are in amyn ways more interesting than generically overpowered characters trying to generically overpower each other.
I want to at least know if Wizarmon X will actually survive the fight against Vamdemon X.

Angewomon X looks nice. It's good to see that they didn't feel the need to make her any more revealing than her original design, although the overall design is kind of a mess of too many details in too few colors that just kind of blend together weirdly. Although maybe the effect will be less disorienting on a simpler background.

That's actually... kind of odd to hear that they're revealing it pretty late with Angewomon X. Given that we already had X-Antibody forms for Plotmon, Tailmon, and Holydramon since uhh... 2003. And then there's also Ophanimon: Falldown Mode's X-Antibody revealed this year. Still cool to see an almost complete line of Xs.

Edit (10/2/19): Oh yeah, I somehow forgot about Nefertimon X. Whose X's form is also from 2003. Really just makes it stranger to see.
It’s not really that weird when considering that the majority first waves of X-Digimon, just like the current ones, debuted as part of the original Pendulum X V-pets. And there are a limited amount of spots on the roster and the lines don’t need to match the anime ones.
Of course the Agumon and Gabumon lines got the full treatment but for everyone else there was never much of an expectation for completeness. Some members of “famous” evo lines got X-variants but rarely all. Palmon and Guilmon are about the only other complete X-lines we got.

Loke

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I have to say, I'm really excited for the X2, but I just can't seem to get enthused for this one. I like all the new Rookies, Champions, and Ultimates, and I'll probably end up pre ordering anyway, but it's odd and a little silly to me that most of the Megas are just the Royal Knights again. The X2 is legitimately letting us raise Demon Lords, which to my knowledge is a first for many of them; I also never had a v-pet with Impmon and Ofanimon on them before, and they even feature off the wall characters like Bagramon and Duskmon from Frontier! This third one, despite all the cool new designs of the lower forms, just feels a little stale. Maybe I'm still just more excited for the X2, or maybe I'm missing something.

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This is interesting. And nice to see. Can't really figure out what's coming next can we? ...Though the V-Pets might help. heh heh

Seymour Butz

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It's not box-shaped or flat; its front half is clearly pointed upwards. If you think about its frontal profile, it should form a rounded diamond-like silhouette, very similar to a mitre.
Look closer. The hat itself doesn’t actually come to a point at the top; it’s just a rounded lobe. The only point is the cross rising above the rest. You could maybe get a vague impression of a mitre from the front, but it’s ruined by the sides which absolutely make the whole thing boxlike, giving an overall impression that’s somewhere between an actual mitre and the other hats I linked. It would look at home on any caster class in any Asian MMO, especially with those red lines on it.

As for the robes, those robes aren't particularly any more similar to Angewomon's robes than the priests' robes, which I suppose is your point. It's very clear that the designer focused more on a "holy goddess" aesthetic, rather than referencing any realistic or historical priestwear.
Yeah which is boring. I want to be clear that my complaint is about a lack of historical inspiration, not a lack of historical accuracy; if accuracy were my gripe, I’d be bitching about the fact that she’s a woman. Of course these digimon designs don’t follow their real-world cues with fidelity, nor would I want them to do so; it is fantasy. But DIGIMON isn’t YUGIŌ; its designs are usually more radical, more imaginative, due largely to a habit of eschewing generic fantasy schlock in order to take design cues from real-world cultures, myths, and folklore — you know, the things which canonically inspire the evolution of digimon in-universe — and much of it awfully obscure, which gives us delightfully creative designs treating us to new shapes, patterns, and concepts we wouldn’t have imagined otherwise. The Catholic priesthood involves a tonne of stuff like that, and sprinkling in one or two of them would have made for a much more interesting design than dressing her up like the bitch from .hack. Nor is this kind of thing beyond the means of our humble character designers: the six wings on Angemon, the progressively covered face of his evolutions, and the animal faces on Ophanimon were all pretty deep cuts for a Japanese company in the late Nineties and early Aughts. They failed to live up to that legacy here.

Last edited:

Sparrow Hawk

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The large images of Angewomon X and Tailmon X released!