Digimon Channel: Pics and Translation Thread

Lhikan634

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
[quote author=Bakuryu Asuka link=topic=13377.msg184890#msg184890 date=1276844663]
Oh and she does NOT evolve from Mikemon.
[/quote]
Well, in other media she does, so it's likely an intended similarity. The games tend to, at times, overlook the more "obvious" of the options for something different.

Anyways, looks like they intend Persiamon to be a "fallen" form of the "angel of light" (as she's referred to in the dub) as well as opposed to merely being rivals (the same vaccine-virus as with Angemon and Devimon, and from holy beast to beast man).

Bakuryu Asuka

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
They are now.
Finally a new look! The stupid LR on e was really annoying, given that that conflict was over for atleast 2 years...
Interesting that Starmon is called Starmons here.

[quote author=Deviate link=topic=13377.msg184932#msg184932 date=1276907117]
I'm a little surprised he hasn't been profiled yet. Bastemon was released around the same time as 'the other humanoid cat', so maybe we'll see one soon. For the second week in a row we have a fan made Digimon profiled. Witchmon should be released soon.
[/quote]

Maybe.

[quote author=Lhikan634 link=topic=13377.msg184939#msg184939 date=1276912402]
Well, in other media she does, so it's likely an intended similarity. The games tend to, at times, overlook the more "obvious" of the options for something different.[/quote]

Actually there is no official source backing it up. Neither Cards, nor Games, nor V-Pets. I blame that Digital Empire/Fantasy site for coming up with that crap.

[quote author=Lhikan634 link=topic=13377.msg184939#msg184939 date=1276912402]
Anyways, looks like they intend Persiamon to be a "fallen" form of the "angel of light" (as she's referred to in the dub) as well as opposed to merely being rivals (the same vaccine-virus as with Angemon and Devimon, and from holy beast to beast man).
[/quote]

Obviously. Although it looks more like an Angewomon/LadyDevimon Deal.

Wildermon

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Well, I didn't expect today's update to come so quickly! Today's readable profiles for the Western Digimon fan set are as follows:

FORUM EXCLUSIVE! TWO MORE NEW DIGIMON FROM THE NEW ANIME!

Dorulumon
A Beast type Digimon with a thick spirit akin to Robin Hood. They live as grouped units, chiefly inhabiting mountainous landscapes covered with rocks.

He can spin the drill affixed to the hardened hair around his head at high speeds, and the "Drill Buster" attack that follows boasts of an accuracy with zero chance of failure.

It's assumed that his signature strategy involves him running at high speeds above the ground, catching the enemy off-guard before using the hit-and-run method of attack, all in a single blow. Aerial Digimon become the targets of his "Dorulu Tornado" attack, which creates a tornado with the huge drill on his tail, meaning that Dorulumon can correspond to attacks regardless of ground or air-based targets, making him an all-round warrior. In addition, he can use his key "Dorulu Blader" maneuver, which spins the drill on his tail and charges recklessly, never faltering until the enemy is crushed.

Moreover, when in a combined "Bombardment Form" with other Digimon, Dorulumon can launch his Dorulu Cannon.

Starmons
The Starmons are an army corp composed of two or more Pickmon, lead by a Starmon. The army corps mainly operate discretely under their own will under the guidance of their leader, Starmon; the Pickmon will always agree with the decisions and will follow the instructions of the Starmon seargeant without question. With a severe hierachical relationship and a seethrough complex, the army corps reveal their movements and unleash their attacks of "Meteor Squall" and "Sugar Plum" when requested.

Starmon is a cheerful person, half optimist and half persuader. He seems to think only about matters such as "Will those who often look handsome get depressed?", but although he never seems to get depressed at all, deep down he will sometimes feel depressed. Therefore, he doesn't worry about himself at all, even if other Digimon think otherwise.

Jackalmon

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Looks like Dorurumon is really Dorurumon, eh? I guess that makes his name being originated from "drill" more likely, eh?

Angel-kun

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
[quote author=Jackalmon link=topic=13377.msg185338#msg185338 date=1277174272]
Looks like Dorurumon is really Dorurumon, eh? I guess that makes his name being originated from "drill" more likely, eh?
[/quote]

or maybe from the onomatopeia from a drill... DRRR

Jackalmon

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
[quote author=Angel-kun link=topic=13377.msg185372#msg185372 date=1277226555]
or maybe from the onomatopeia from a drill... DRRR
[/quote]
Yeah, that's what I was referring to, I remember a few people mentioning it on various other threads.
DORULULULULULU~

Seymour Butz

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I think that it might be a sort of pun, sort of hybridisation, playing off of the spelling of the word drill and the name of Garurumon at the same time. That was my impression. The Japanese fuck up romanisation like crazy, but I find it odd that they would transcribe the same syllable two different ways in the same word unless it was deliberate.

I wonder if this qualifies as on topic, or if Vande is going to come yell at us.

Angel-kun

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
But if the garurumon's name is also an onomatopeia, that does doruru an onomatopeia too : P

Grimulfr

Phweet!
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I poked around with my magical Google powers, and while "dorurururu" is typically used as the sound of a motor or similar vibration, there are at least a few Japanese bloggers out there who use dorurururu specifically as the sound of a drill.

So in summary, the name is spelled Dorurumon, where dorurururu is onomatopoeia for the sound of a drill. It's safe to hypothesize that he was named this way in homage to Garurumon, but it is not a pun or a play on words or a combination of "drill" and "garuru." It's a straight forward, onomatopoeia name origin.

Angel-kun

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Mostly digimon are onomatopeias... why this need's to be more complicated like a "homage" from garurumon.

Seymour Butz

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
[quote author=Angel-kun link=topic=13377.msg185500#msg185500 date=1277396894]
Mostly digimon are onomatopeias... why this need's to be more complicated like a "homage" from garurumon.
[/quote]

Like I said, while the Japanese are bad at romanisation, I find it difficult to believe that they would spell the same syllable two different ways for no reason. At the very least, I would suppose it to be something stylistic, like the spelling of Culumon.

Grimulfr

Phweet!
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
By "homage," I mean that they chose the onomatopoeia name instead of something else like Drillmon or MetalHowlmon or Dorururumon. They chose and formatted the name similar to the way the onomatopoeia name Garurumon is formatted. I didn't say the name had anything to do with Garurumon. I said the opposite of that. =)

Inpu

How deep the rabbit-hole goes
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Translating Shoutmon was god-awful. My computer crashed several times, and the grammar and references were unfamiliar. Hopefully the others should be easier, and I should be caught up quickly.

Shoutmon
*Rock Spirit (Rock Damashii)
*Soul Crusher
*Rowdy Rocker
A ferocious Digimon with extremely high aggressiveness due to its hot-blooded enthusiasm. However, it is friendly towards its comrades, and its friendship with another Digimon, surpassing species, can be deepened even further if they are recognized by Shoutmon.
There is a unique feature to Shoutmon's throat that converts its passion to energy, and it can perform an attack called "Soul Crusher", which uses its mic to amplify the heated emotions blazing within its chest, then bashes the opponent. Because passion is the very source of the attack, it will definitely inflict damage no matter the target, and since Shoutmon won't give up fighting unless its passion disappears, this is the reason Shoutmon is said to be a ferocious Digimon with high aggressiveness.
On one hand it seems ferocious, but on the other it is said to love music and songs, and it likes to hum songs with natural sounding background music like the sound of the wind, raindrops, the murmuring of a river, or the stirring of leaves on a tree. Because it can often become too enthusiastic in its song, accidentally letting off its "Soul Crusher" even though there aren't any enemies, it is probably safe to leave the spot at once if Shoutmon starts singing, so that it doesn't notice you.
Shoutmon itself is said to have the mysterious trait of always having its MacField-brand mic in its possession, and a Shoutmon without the mic is not really a Shoutmon. It is said that a Shoutmon that has completely lost its mic will rapidly lose power from the shock of not being a Shoutmon anymore, and before long it will have wasted away. Therefore, you should never play a practical joke like hiding the mic. Incidentally, its "Rowdy Rocker" lets it wield the mic as in b?jutsu, so it is excellent not only in scuffling matches but also in performances.
*When it talks about his singing voice (converts passion to energy), it could also be talking about his throat.
*I have no idea what a MacField-brand mic is, even after searching on google. The name doesn't even seem to be used on Japanese websites, and however I'm romanizing it, it seems to be wrong.

Starmons
Major
*Meteor Squall
*Wish Upon A Star
*Shorty (Chinchikurin)
*Sugar Plum
The "Starmons" are composed of a corps of several Pickmon with a Starmon at their heart. The will of the corps is at the discretion of Starmon, the Head of the corps, and the Head's decisions are briskly and unconditionally followed by the Pickmon, keeping them from falling out of line as they maneuver according to Starmon's directions. There is definitely a strict hierarchy, and the complex maneuvers that are demanded are demonstrated, such as the corps techniques called "Meteor Squall" and "Sugar Plum".

As Starmon has a cheerful, showy personality, it is an extreme optimist. Basically, it never gets depressed, and if it even seems depressed it seems to only be thinking things like, "I may be down, but don't I look good?" Because of that, even though it is taken lightly by other Digimon, it certainly doesn't worry about itself at all.
*So, Starmon is based both on "Rockstar" and "1 star rank" in the military.
*I'm not quite sure what "Shorty" (Chinchikurin) is supposed to refer to. Sugar Plum is obviously from the Nutcracker, and Wish Upon A Star is from Pinocchio.

Deviate

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
So, Starmon is based both on "Rockstar" and "1 star rank" in the military.
That's really cool. If this was any other season I'd say Starmon was a Rookie. 2 Star = Adult, 3 = Perfect, 4 = Ultimate, all of which would be new Digimon. Starmon (Xross) would be the the child level for the '2 star rank' the child level of the classic Starmon. But it doesn't seem like any of this Digimon have levels.

Inpu

How deep the rabbit-hole goes
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Whew...last of the weird ones.

Dorulumon
Beast
*Drill Buster
*Dorulu Tornado
*Drill Blader
A faithful Beast Digimon with a chivalrous spirit. As it usually sticks to the rock-covered mountains, it often acts alone without flocking with others.

Because the drill on its head is part of its hair, hardened, its "Drill Buster", which rotates the drill at high speed and then shoots it, boasts unerring accuracy.

It runs over the ground at high speeds and uses "Hit and Away" tactics as its favorite strategy, deranging the opponent by inflicting a single blow. Its "Dorulu Tornado", which enlarges the drill on its tail and then raises a tornado, is a threat not only in ground combat, but also to aerial Digimon, and since Dorulumon can cope against both ground-based and aerial enemies, it can certainly be said to be an all-rounder warrior. Furthermore, its "Drill Blader", a bold move in which it gets up on the drill of its tail and spins itself, suicidally assaulting the opponent, doesn't stop until it pulverizes the opponent.

Also, Dorulumon is able to fire its "Dorulu Cannon" in collaboration with another Digimon by changing into its "Hougeki Keitai".
*"All-rounder" is a cricket term that here means that it is good at both ground and aerial combat. That's about it.
*"Hougeki Keitai" is "Bombardment Form"
*I'm not entirely sure about Drill Blader. It could mean that he is spinning on his tail-drill like a top, with those shoulder blades out (sort of like Calmaramon's Titanic Tempest), that he is actually riding ''on'' the tail-drill while spinning (something like Crowmon's Savage Emperor or WarGreymon's Mega Claw), or that he is spinning ''along with'' his tail drill (even more like those attacks). But based on his previous attacks and the name of the technique, I think it's the top one.

Omegamon much?
The Dorulu Cannon is basically Dorulumon's version of Shoutmon X2. It's not an actual attack of Dorulumon's.

So, Starmon is based both on "Rockstar" and "1 star rank" in the military.

That's really cool. If this was any other season I'd say Starmon was a Rookie. 2 Star = Adult, 3 = Perfect, 4 = Ultimate, all of which would be new Digimon. Starmon (Xross) would be the the child level for the '2 star rank' the child level of the classic Starmon. But it doesn't seem like any of this Digimon have levels.
Technically, ranks with "Major" in their name start at 2-star rank, but because Starmon is, well, one star, I used that as the derivation.

EDIT: Something interesting: In the anime Keroro (Sgt. Frog), there is a Garuru platoon (led by Lt. Garuru) and a Dorulu/Doruru platoon (led by Dorulu/Doruru).

Just putting that out there as a possible in-joke.

Deathmon
Like Demon it was originally a high-ranking Angel Digimon, but it fell to the Dark Area and is now one of the Demon Lord Digimon. Even though it is a Demon Lord Digimon, it is different from other Fallen Angel and Devil Digimon in that it does not carry out evil to its limit, but instead defends and contemplates its thoroughly neutral position. However, it is a terrifying Digimon, and it is told that at the time of the approaching final battle, that whitened appearance will change to jet-black darkness, and it will transform into a god of destruction. Its Special Moves are an arrow of death fired from the evil eyes on both hands (Death Arrow), and a laser beam fired when the eye in its head shines deep crimson (Explosion Eye).

* Deathmon was adopted from a winning entry in the "Digimon Web Dot-art Contest" which belonged to Mr. Takahiro Ino from Yamagata prefecture.
*The evil eye is that curse thing from European folklore.
*The first line ''might'' be saying it was once a Seraphimon, but isn't necessarily that strong.
*!!!! Deathmon is based on the fallen angel Samael, who is said to be covered in eyes, and is regarded as both good and evil. Samael the angel of death. It is slightly less possible that he could be Azrael, another view on the angel of death, who is said to be covered in "eyes and tongues". However, Azrael is not considered an evil angel except for in Jewish mysticism, and he is supposed to have four faces and a thousand wings.