Digimon Channel: Pics and Translation Thread

Yamato-san

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
God damn. I get distracted by Holocure for a day, and this bombshell drops. Now these are the kind of updates I love to see. Seemingly forgotten Digimon, never mentioned in a single piece of official media for 20 years and no known profile artwork to their name (let alone a profile description, which the Reference Book just loves to simply copy/paste from whatever source it can find), just suddenly getting a full profile completely out of nowhere. I especially like to see Destromon, considering the thing got relegated to appearing exclusively in cutscenes and was never actually fought against (despite being played up to be this major villain in the pre-release magazines and the opening FMV).

VR Digimon
I wouldn't count on the VRs. Really, they're just a set of existing Digimon that had a blue tint slapped onto them. I mean, the infected Imperialdramon from tri. looks more distinct enough to warrant an entry than they do.

Though speaking of Wonderswan Digimon, Red V-dramon and Master V-dramon are still missing. The former is especially strange, since it managed to re-appear as recently as -next 0rder-. And Master is one of those Digimon I'd love to see get a redesign, or at least establish it with a more distinct shade of blue than whatever the Wonderswan Color could display (seriously, you gotta put V-dramon and Master V-dramon's sprites right next to eachother to even notice a difference). Amusingly enough, the similarly named MasterTyranomon looked WAY too much like DarkTyranomon in the PS1 games, with the profile art giving it a more distinct silver coloring.

ChaosGreymon is literally just BlackWarGreymon, to the point his name in the English version of DW2 is ChaosBlackWarGreymon, Piedmon and MetalSeadramon were both villains making ChaosPiedmon and Chaos(Metal)Seadramon completely redundant,
I definitely want ChaosSeadramon for WaruSeadramon if they retcon his attribute to Virus, and ChaosPiemon just fits so well with Fantomon's color.
As was mentioned, the Chaos Digimon fit each of the three attributes, which played a major role in Digimon World 2's setting and gameplay. No need to retcon them all into one attribute that's ridiculously over-used for villains as is (more so when, as we just saw, there are already enough complaints about ChaosGreymon's similarities to BlackWarGreymon).

Bartz

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Re: Digitize: Vitium Baby/Adult/Ultimate
Sadly those arent digimon. I fucking hate when that happens, so many cool designs wasted by that silly idea of making "digital lifeforms that arent digimons" over and over again.
The vitiums are such unique designs, besides them we have the guardians from world 02 or the ex-erasers from lost evolution wich were so cool and their jogress was even better.
(almost forget digi-elves from world 4, those were so adorable)
Hmm, it may be a good idea to make a separate category for them in that case. I like some of the non-Digimon lifeforms like the Erasers myself, so making a list for them would be fun to do as I'd like to acknowledge them in some way.

I'm pretty sure the black seraphimon of World 3 is just the same guy as Frontier and he was redesigned. Like BlackImperialdramon
I'm pretty sure that's the case going forward as well. If they wanted to keep both around I think they would've made a clearer distinction between the two, but not only does the current BlackSeraphimon make no mention of Mercuremon, it's clearly positioned to be Seraphimon's Vice form in the same vein as the other two.

Yamato-san

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
A real shame. I'm quite fond of the original BlackSeraphimon's color scheme myself. Though, if the BEMmon line can make a comeback, I'll still hold out hope that Digimon World 3's BlackSeraphimon (and possibly the other re-colors form the same game) could see the light of day again as well.

Sparrow Hawk

Seized the time
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Non-Digimon lifeforms will end up getting new cards like Reaper did. At least if they didn't get digimon'ized.

You are right, I really wanted this Vitium to be very real digimon because I really like those designs and it's basically digital snake digimon!

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Reference Book update!

oboromon_september10_2022.jpg

Oboromon (EN)

Noni

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Only HoverEspimon missing now. Then to wait till they announce a new anime product with new digimon.

Mattman324

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Non-Digimon lifeforms will end up getting new cards like Reaper did. At least if they didn't get digimon'ized.
Or they get into the Reference Book without being a Digimon, like how Yggdrasil_7D6, N.E.O., and a Bio-Hybrid Luminamon (Nene) all got in.
Reference Book update!
To be expected.

Lord Bearmon

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
ChaosGreymon is literally just BlackWarGreymon, to the point his name in the English version of DW2 is ChaosBlackWarGreymon, Piedmon and MetalSeadramon were both villains making ChaosPiedmon and Chaos(Metal)Seadramon completely redundant,
I definitely want ChaosSeadramon for WaruSeadramon if they retcon his attribute to Virus, and ChaosPiemon just fits so well with Fantomon's color.
As was mentioned, the Chaos Digimon fit each of the three attributes, which played a major role in Digimon World 2's setting and gameplay. No need to retcon them all into one attribute that's ridiculously over-used for villains as is (more so when, as we just saw, there are already enough complaints about ChaosGreymon's similarities to BlackWarGreymon).
Then change ChaosPiemon to Data, you'll still have all three attributes. Making a recolor without changing anything else about them is even more stupid and redundant.

Noni

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
While attribute is a big part of subspecies and variants distinction, I think it should be fine depending of how it is treated.

If it's treated like a power-up mode, merely having a new lore and new attacks is enough to differentiate species, I think.

BeelzebumonBlastMode

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This Bemmon line update is a real shock. of all the non-variants missing from the reference book they were one of the ones I thought least likely to be added. I'm surprised this news hasn't summoned JungleTrooper and his reference book analysis back to the forum.

zoosmell

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'm hoping someone will be able to help me with this question.
Some images added to the reference book over the past couple of years look really saturated on my end (mostly older stuff, like the recolors or x antibodies they added mid last year), but I notice that Wikimon has the images with the proper coloration. Like with Dokunemon, I can see the neon puke version got uploaded, but then replaced with the correct one the same day. My question is, where are these properly colored images coming from? Are they being manually edited in some way, or are they tucked away unused in some corner of the site or something?

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
where are these properly colored images coming from?
Twitter

This is incorrect. Very often those images are removed from Wikimon and replaced with the reference book images.

The reference book images are colored correctly, just in a different colorspace. Some browsers are set to view them correctly, some are not. It is relatively easy to convert the color space.

zoosmell

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
where are these properly colored images coming from?
Twitter

This is incorrect. Very often those images are removed from Wikimon and replaced with the reference book images.

The reference book images are colored correctly, just in a different colorspace. Some browsers are set to view them correctly, some are not. It is relatively easy to convert the color space.
Ah, thanks for the explanation.
Looks like firefox in particular really doesn't like these pics.

Noni

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I had no idea this was a thing. So on top of worrying about your monitor specs and configuration, you also need to look out even for the browser you are using when discussing color in art online. That's a lot of factors to take into consideration.

(Firefox)

xwo5707.png

(Chrome)
3umrZBB.png

This just fills me with more questions of how this works, and what the Digimon Reference Book could do so that the colors in the images remain consistent. I looked up some explanations, but they are really technical. TIL.

Chimera-gui

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
@Noni When I upload Encyclopedia images unto the wiki, I sometimes have to use Gimp and Paint to fix the saturation issue.

Not even actual editing, just loading and saving over the original downloaded image.

Noni

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
@Noni When I upload Encyclopedia images unto the wiki, I sometimes have to use Gimp and Paint to fix the saturation issue.

Not even actual editing, just loading and saving over the original downloaded image.
Oh, I see. Yeah, I tested a bit ago if saving the DRB image file in my computer would give me the correct color, and it indeed does.

So it seems it really only shows up like that in the browser, nowhere else.

Cold and pink colors seem to suffer the bigger contrasts.

Chimera-gui

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Oh, I see. Yeah, I tested a bit ago if saving the DRB image file in my computer would give me the correct color, and it indeed does.

So it seems it really only shows up like that in the browser, nowhere else.

Cold and pink colors seem to suffer the bigger contrasts.
Oh it’s not just Firefox. I use Chrome and for some unknown reason, uploading certain images from Encyclopedia unto the Digimon wiki triggered the color weirdness as well hence why do the re-saving method to color correct.

sirtao

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
for whatever it might be worth, checking the image with IrfanView says the "original colors" were "16,7 Million (32 BitsPerPixel)"
but the "CURRENT colors" are "16,7 Million (24 BitsPerPixel)"

ajEeq4C.png
cxphybJ.png

I'm going to guess it's some weird-ass setting in image processing by their side.

edit: added EXIF info as well

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
There is no mystery to this.

It is the color space.

CMYK stores 4 color channels, RGB stores 3, each color is 8-bits.

Irfanview is converting it to RGB for display.