Hide User Social Media
Gogmamon 's etymology is probably Gogmagog
I'm perplexed by the -Ga in Baboongamon though

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Gogmamon is based on Gogmagog, yeah. The "ga" in Baboongamon is probably the same as the "ga" in Gaogamon and Dorugamon: short for garuru, onomatopoeia for growling, perhaps rumbling in Baboongamon's case. I posted etymologies for the new Digimon in one of the news threads (except for Regalecusmon, which I got help on).

Muur

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Gogmamon is based on Gogmagog, yeah. The "ga" in Baboongamon is probably the same as the "ga" in Gaogamon and Dorugamon: short for garuru, onomatopoeia for growling, perhaps rumbling in Baboongamon's case. I posted etymologies for the new Digimon in one of the news threads (except for Regalecusmon, which I got help on).
isnt it for a wolfs growl specifically? thats what the wikis say - and hes not a wolf.

YongYoKyo

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
A wolf's growl is just one of the most associated examples. Wolves aren't the only thing that growls. Garururu- is basically just "grrrrr"

YongYoKyo

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Algomon Baby I has a very bare-bones profile. It's basically just repeating the Perfect's profile of how it was born from an algorithmic bug. Not even an attack description.

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It's not like we need an attack description. It just has Acidic Bubbles, like most Baby Digimon. I see it's a Mutant type instead of a Slime. Ghosmon's attacks are Little Plasma and Jack Raid.

Sparrow Hawk

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Maybe they are lazy to leave Algomon Baby I/II's type being Mutant from coping/paste? No?

YongYoKyo

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It is probably for consistency's sake and to emphasize how different Algomon is from other Digimon. Kuramon and Tsumemon were Unknown-types too, just like the rest of their line.

Sparrow Hawk

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Hmm I guess Algomon Babies and Kuramon/Tsumemon's Type are different from Babies because they are clearly "Hacker's pet" or something like that? I should pick better word to fit this... Poor choice of word.

Muur

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Just the one? weird. Well at least we have an August update, since they skipped July.

I wonder if theyll do a couple more in the coming days - there's still a bunch of X forms missing (also the Yanmamon - tad weird Sand was in the anime when its not even got an official profile, etc).

Sparrow Hawk

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I felt too many months passed already.... But I can say the same thing for Digimon twitter to focus on episode images to update rather than releasing high quality images. But does it mean we finally can go back to normal pace?

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Would someone be a dear and translate Dagomon's Pendulum profile for me? There are several lines in it that were cut out of his later profiles.

人々に「海底の破戒僧(はかいそう)」と呼ばれ恐れられる邪神デジモン。
その発生は、船などをコントロールしていたコンピュータに感せんして、方位や航路などをくるわせていたコンピュータウイルスが進化したものと考えられている。
身体は無数に増えるという触手をたばねて人型に姿を変えてはいるものの、正体は奇かいな軟体型デジモンの進化型で、不定形の世にもおぞましいものだ。
この真の姿を見た者は、一部の例外を除いてことごとくこの世から命を消されているという。
すさまじい腕力で三つ又のほこを投げつける『フォービドゥントライデント』が必殺技で、倒した相手には首の数珠を持ち、経を唱えて弔うかのようなポーズをとる習性がある。

Paruseruru mafubu

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The evil god Digimon who is called "kaisou" of the sea floor and is feared.
It is thought to have evolved from a computer virus that had infiltrated a ship's navigation system and navigational path, to a computer that had been controlling the ship.
Although the body is transformed into a humanoid shape by the touch of increasing the body to no number, the positive body is an evolved form of strange body-shaped Digimon, and it is also possible in the indefinite world.

Lhikan634

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Well, here's a comparison to the Digimon Reference Book profile. Green sections denote segments that occur in the Pendulum profile and not the DRB profile. Purple sections denote segments that occur in the DRB profile and not the Pendulum profile.
Digimon Reference Book said:
「海底の破戒僧」と呼ばれる邪神デジモン。船舶などコンピュータに感して、方位や航路を狂わせていたコンピュータウィルスが進化したと考えられている。無数に増える触手を束ね人型に姿を変えているが、その正体は奇怪な軟体型デジモンの進化型である必殺技は凄まじい腕力で三つ又の鉾を投げつける『フォービドゥントライデント』。倒した相手には首の数珠を持ち、弔うようなポーズをとる。
Digimon Pendulum said:
人々に「海底の破戒僧(はかいそう)」と呼ばれ恐れられる邪神デジモン。
その発生は、船などをコントロールしていたコンピュータに感せんして、方位や航路などをくるわせていたコンピュータウイルスが進化したものと考えられている。
体は無数に増えるという触手をた人型に姿を変えているものの、正体は奇かいな軟体型デジモンの進化型で、不定形の世にもおぞましいものだ
この真の姿を見た者は、一部の例外を除いてことごとくこの世から命を消されているという。
すさ
まじい腕力で三つ又のほこを投げつける『フォービドゥントライデント』が必殺技で、倒した相手には首の数珠を持ち、経を唱えて弔うかのようなポーズをとる習性がある
Most of the additions (and substitutions) are seemingly stylistic or emphasis as opposed to truly new info. Line 1 adds something like "depraved monk" as a parenthetical note. On suspicion, I wonder if this is supposed to be a reference to the monkfish, which is a sort of real-world abomination. Also, seriously, he's a monk fish (sensu latisimo). Line 3 adds something to the effect of "it's horrible even in the irregular world" or maybe "its abnormal shape is an abomination to the world". Definitely a Lovecraftian reference, so that should be reflected in translation. Line 4 is unique and seems to be to the point of "with rare exception, those who see its true form are entirely erased from this world". Line 5 adds a note that he recites or chants the Sutra.

My fairly inexpert translation, building upon Wikimon's translation of the DRB profile (as I certainly can't run a good translation from scratch) gives something about like the following. Wikimon has some blatant mistranslation and botched cultural references concerning the "rosary" that I've corrected.

This evil god Digimon is known to people as the "Sinful Priest (or Depraved Monk) of the Ocean Floor". It is thought to have evolved from a computer virus that would infect computers such as those onboard ships, then change their direction, trajectory, etc. Although it transforms itself into a humanoid appearance with its innumerable, multiplying tentacles, its true form is a strange evolution of a Mollusk Digimon, which is truly an eldritch horror to the world. With rare exception, those who see its true form are entirely erased from this world. Its Special Move is throwing its trident, with tremendous physical strength (Forbidden Trident). Upon defeating its opponent, it holds the beads (malas) around its neck and adopts a mourning-like posture while chanting the Sutra.

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Thanks, Lhikan. I was actually able to get the gist of it myself; I was just wondering how one of our local Japanese translators would put it. It's a shame that the lines were removed from the later profiles. Now I want to see Dagomon's "true form," though I imagine it would look pretty weird with that bizarrely human-like torso. By the way, I doubt that there's any connection to the monkfish. It's most likely a reference to how Dagomon is partly based on the Umibozu or Sea Priest from Japanese folklore (and on Cthulhu, who is described as a "great priest" in "The Call of Cthulhu").

YongYoKyo

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
There is an "actual" mythical creature called a monkfish. There's also the mythical bishopfish.

Anyways, the removed portions seem to lean more towards the Cthulhu Mythos side of Dagomon. Maybe they wanted to distance themselves from the Lovecraft or eldritch-horror connotations a bit.