Digimon Card Game English Version Announced for November and January, Begins with Combined Catch Up Boosters

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
If it wasn't in alphabetical order, it doesn't matter whether they started with a B or P in English. "Pa," "ba," "pu," and "bu" names would all be grouped together. Although, now that I think about it, Vritramon is technically a vowel ("a") name , so it would come right before the "ha" names like Pukamon and Piyomon.

Muur

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
If it wasn't in alphabetical order, it doesn't matter whether they started with a B or P in English. "Pa," "ba," "pu," and "bu" names would all be grouped together. Although, now that I think about it, Vritramon is technically a vowel ("a") name , so it would come right before the "ha" names like Pukamon and Piyomon.
Unless I missed one, all the Digimon were in the correct dub section. Crusadermon, Chirinmon, Crowmon, Creepymon, and Chuumon in C, DemiDevimon in D, Salamon in S, ExVeemon in E, MudFrigimon in M, Frigimon in F, MagnaAngemon, Magnadramon, and MegaKabuterimon in M, Kentaorusmon in K and so forth.

the only one I remembered being in the wrong slot was BurningGreymon cuz I remember looking at every letter section cuz I'm a nerd (you can manually search by letter, attribute, level, or typing). minor interesting note is that Shoutmon shows up with the Rookies and OmniShoutmon with the Megas even though theyre not actually listed with levels.

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Ah, I see. I thought that you were referring to the Digimon numbering system, which goes first by level and then by name ("a," "ha," "sa," etc.).

Muur

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Ah, I see. I thought that you were referring to the Digimon numbering system, which goes first by level and then by name ("a," "ha," "sa," etc.).
nah that wasn't touched - so you have megakabtuerimon awkwardly chilling at the front as the first Ulitmate even in the dub version of the field guide in the default number order. so you have megakabuterimon, then arcadiamon mega, then antylamon - but if you search "A" manually, he doens't show up. I actually have noteage of the order and its as follows:

V to Z
Yokomon
Wanyamon
Zubamon
Veemon
Wormmon
Wizardmon
Woodmon
ZubaEagermon
Veedramon
Vegiemon
Waspmon
Wingdramon
BurningGreymon
Zudomon
Vademon
Whamon
Volcanomon
WarGrowlmon
WereGarurumon
WereGarurumon (Black)
Wisemon
Vikemon
Valkryimon
Varodurumon
VenomMyotismon
WarGreymon

e105zeta

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
We definitely won’t be getting Kaiser Leomon, but all the other stupid Frontier names should be reverted.

Changing Fairy to Kaze and blizzard to Koriaku seemingly out of some desire to please fans that complained about name changes, thinking we just like the “cool Japanese names” instead of keeping the names consistent across the adaptation and localization process is so bloody stupid I can barely even process it these days.

Thank goodness Joe isn’t from that era, because they’d rename him Mamoru or something and I’d have put my head through a desk.

Mattman324

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
We definitely won’t be getting Kaiser Leomon
You know, I know, and everyone here knows that some day they're gonna support Leomons. They keep making them and the only ones that don't have Leomon in their names are irrelevant (or worse, Regulumon, who's just straight up never been a thing after V-Tamers), and when that comes around it's going to be a thing.

zerorynga

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Woah, there are more name changes in the English version than I thought.
I kinda see what the dub trying to do there for BurningGreymon and KendoGarurumon, to associate them with the predecessors.
Hope they got this name issue handled well for the card game.
Preferably, not the way Yu-Gi-Oh! TCG has done it, "This card is not treated as XXX." which felt like wait...whut.
In fact, it'd best that they revert back all the name changes for consistency.

RogueX4

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Hope they got this name issue handled well for the card game.
Preferably, not the way Yu-Gi-Oh! TCG has done it, "This card is not treated as XXX." which felt like wait...whut.
In fact, it'd best that they revert back all the name changes for consistency.
This really would be the best time to revert all the names back to their original Japanese ones for consistency’s sake. It will help them (the publisher) in the long run and make the card game easier for beginners to get into it and play. From my experiences with different card games and teaching people how to play, newbies get turned off when the rules aren’t made clear to them or when there are awkward exceptions to the rules. Yugioh’s “*This Card is treated as a XXX” is a good example of this.

Tetsuya Suoh

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
We definitely won’t be getting Kaiser Leomon, but all the other stupid Frontier names should be reverted.

Changing Fairy to Kaze and blizzard to Koriaku seemingly out of some desire to please fans that complained about name changes, thinking we just like the “cool Japanese names” instead of keeping the names consistent across the adaptation and localization process is so bloody stupid I can barely even process it these days.

Thank goodness Joe isn’t from that era, because they’d rename him Mamoru or something and I’d have put my head through a desk.
Agreed on Kazemon, but I think Korikakumon is that way for the same reason BurningGreymon, KendoGarurumon, and MetalKabuterimon are, to create a link to the Adventure names, since it has Ikkaku in it. Honestly, I'm surprised they renamed Shutumon to Zephyrmon instead of Garudawoman or something because of that.

This might also be a good way to fix some mistranslations created by by the differences between Japanese and the origin languages of the names, like making Agunimon Agnimon (though again, this could be because of Aguni making a phonetic link with Agumon) and Diaboromon Diablomon as they're meant to be, but they probably won't touch those. You're right about KaizerLeomon though, at best we'd get EmperorLeomon, a-la Digimon Kaizer/Emperor and Kaizer/EmperorGreymon.

Muur

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

Agreed on Kazemon, but I think Korikakumon is that way for the same reason BurningGreymon, KendoGarurumon, and MetalKabuterimon are, to create a link to the Adventure names, since it has Ikkaku in it. Honestly, I'm surprised they renamed Shutumon to Zephyrmon instead of Garudawoman or something because of that.

This might also be a good way to fix some mistranslations created by by the differences between Japanese and the origin languages of the names, like making Agunimon Agnimon (though again, this could be because of Aguni making a phonetic link with Agumon) and Diaboromon Diablomon as they're meant to be, but they probably won't touch those. You're right about KaizerLeomon though, at best we'd get EmperorLeomon, a-la Digimon Kaizer/Emperor and Kaizer/EmperorGreymon.
No reason they can't use KaiserLeomon, they used KaiserGreymon in Next Order, Hacker's Memory, and ReArise.

Agunimon has been used in Japan before.

Diaboromon was an intentional censorship, not a mistranslation.

YongYoKyo

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Dub names are fine as long as it's consistent. There's no issue with Omnimon as long as all other Omegamons are also named Omnimons.

The issue with situations like Vritramon/BurningGreymon is that the latter is categorized into "Greymon" while the former isn't. If they do a card effect in the future that specifies Greymon-species Digimon, then it will be inconsistent between both languages, unless they add a caveat that specifies "Greymon cards except BurningGreymon" or "does not count as a Greymon card".

GrayGhost1993

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'm so hyped about this! I can't wait to drop a whole bunch of money on booster boxes lol

Mattman324

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
If they do a card effect in the future
Too late, they already did it.

Saikyo Jump Agumon boosts the power of all Digimon with "Greymon" in their name if it's used as an Evolution Source.

This is why we're afraid. This, and because Rina (one of the most played cards right now) has the ability to search any V-mon, and there are technically more of those in the dub.

Tetsuya Suoh

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

No reason they can't use KaiserLeomon, they used KaiserGreymon in Next Order, Hacker's Memory, and ReArise.

Agunimon has been used in Japan before.

Diaboromon was an intentional censorship, not a mistranslation.
You sure? Because they had no problem with Devimon, which is the same thing. The even uncensored it for the anime because the first English V-Pet called it Darkmon.

DigiKing Tamer

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
You sure? Because they had no problem with Devimon, which is the same thing. The even uncensored it for the anime because the first English V-Pet called it Darkmon.
Translations and censorship in Digimon are just weird in general. Anyone remember the "hot sauce" scene?