Digimon Card Game English Version Announced for November and January, Begins with Combined Catch Up Boosters

Chudix

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I wonder if the promo cards like Taiga or V-Tamer Taichi will be included in the boosters, or they will be forever lost.
Taiga is a strandard card from B-2. They should include it. V-Tamer was never released outside Japan (excluding Germany), so who knows? I wish we can use our Japanese cards during tournaments.

Deep Saver

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I wonder if the promo cards like Taiga or V-Tamer Taichi will be included in the boosters, or they will be forever lost.
Taiga is a strandard card from B-2. They should include it. V-Tamer was never released outside Japan (excluding Germany), so who knows? I wish we can use our Japanese cards during tournaments.
Judging by a Tweet they just made, the magazine promo cards will be box toppers. The pack art even includes the V-Tamer Taichi and V-dramon cards
https://mobile.twitter.com/digimon_tcg_EN/status/1302577289666985984

Deep Saver

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Judging by a Tweet they just made, the magazine promo cards will be box toppers. The pack art even includes the V-Tamer Taichi and V-dramon cards
https://mobile.twitter.com/digimon_tcg_EN/status/1302577289666985984
What about the 16 cards from the promo packs though?
I don't think that has been announced yet, but I imagine it will be released for some sort of promotion if even stuff like the V-Tamer promos are coming out.

Dharakjoo

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'm like to see Digimon Card Game in the English version. It's very cool like Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh!, but it was different.

Youkomon

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I missed out on the Japanese starter deck Holydramon card but I have two of the booster pack ones. I will have to wait for the English starter Holydramon now it looks like...Then again the resellers wanted $12 for that card....I'm not into playing the game, I just collect singles based on favorite Digimon and artwork that I like. Same goes for the Pokemon TCG.

zerorynga

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It's understandable that the Western audiences are more attached to the dub terms.
But using dub terms is probably going to be a bad idea, because this new Digimon Card Game plays with card names, one of the prime examples being Omegamon, or Omnimon as the dub called it.
There's Omnimon, Omnimon Zwart
and there's Omegamon Zwart Defeat, Omegamon Alter-B, Omegamon Alter-S,
then Omnimon Merciful Mode.
Other example, Vritramon being BurningGreymon in the dub, so it would mean the effect of the Saikyo Jump's Agumon can boost its DP in English version, but then, if only Vritramon is evolvable normally.

Last edited:

Muur

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It's understandable that the Western audiences are more attached to the dub terms.
But using dub terms is probably going to be a bad idea, because this new Digimon Card Game plays with card names, one of the prime examples being Omegamon, or Omnimon as the dub called it.
Other example, Vritramon being BurningGreymon in the dub, so it would mean the effect of the Saikyo Jump's Agumon can boost its DP in English version, but then, if only Vritramon is evolvable normally.
They would obviously either have them all as Omegamon or all as Omnimon. There just hasnt been a game yet where theyre all Omnimon (but theyre all Omegamon in ReArise).

KoushiroIZZYIzumi

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The Digimon Card Game is getting an official English release.

The English version is being designed around a North American release, with dub terms, and is also planned for distribution in Latin America, Europe, and Oceania.
Well.......this caught me off guard.

While I am happy that there's a global, English release......with an intent to release it in the North American market, one has to ask on how Bandai America believes they can be successful at marketing this card game towards kids (and not just collectors) in the U.S. without at least a dub version of the reboot series hitting over-the-air stations?

DigiKing Tamer

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The Digimon Card Game is getting an official English release.

The English version is being designed around a North American release, with dub terms, and is also planned for distribution in Latin America, Europe, and Oceania.
Well.......this caught me off guard.

While I am happy that there's a global, English release......with an intent to release it in the North American market, one has to ask on how Bandai America believes they can be successful at marketing this card game towards kids (and not just collectors) in the U.S. without at least a dub version of the reboot series hitting over-the-air stations?
Maybe this is a possibility that we'll get the aforementioned dub announcement soon.

zerorynga

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
They would obviously either have them all as Omegamon or all as Omnimon. There just hasnt been a game yet where theyre all Omnimon (but theyre all Omegamon in ReArise).
Indeed, I doubt the inconsistency will be carried on.
The way it looks, it's likely that all of them will be Omegamon, like in ReArise, which is good.
After all, there's Alphamon, there has to be Omegamon.

mentalperson

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
let's be honest, there's a reason they use Tai instead of Taichi over here: it's far more marketable. There's a reason most Digimon fans use the dub names for the kids, because people who have never spoken Japanese remembering "Takeru" or "Yamato" is a lot more tedious and less cool sounding than saying T.K. and Matt. To be honest, I can't even remember Izzy's real name as I type this despite watching 01 and 02 as a teen and Adventure: weekly since its debut 🤷‍♂️

As for the concerns of this not staying true to the Japanese card game, I paused the English release announcement YouTube video on every card it featured and they're all 1:1 on what the Japanese cards say which is the opposite of a red flag so I have no worries. There's something called a "special campaign" next week and we're getting the tutorial app soon so we'll know early if there's any red flags, but right now it's looking super good
Please speak for yourself and not the other fans out there. I'm not sure on what basis are you getting these ideas on people's feelings on localisation but they are NOT the case for everyone I know.

RogueX4

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Indeed, I doubt the inconsistency will be carried on.
The way it looks, it's likely that all of them will be Omegamon, like in ReArise, which is good.
After all, there's Alphamon, there has to be Omegamon.
I’m hoping that this is the case. I grew up with Omnimon however once I learned his real name was Omegamon I dropped it in a flash. Not only do I find Omegamon to be a much cooler name it also makes more sense, specially when Alphamon is brought into the picture. As you wrote if there’s one there has to be the other.

Virus Cleaver

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This had me so excited, I finally went & registered.

I absolutely adore the artwork of this new iteration, it's just so consistently great across the board. I was one of the few kids stubbornly clinging to the old card game, but it just never took off. To add insult to injury, I live in a small country where something like this really needs to establish a dedicated following right off the bat. This is of course much easier now, with all the hype social media alone can generate. Additionally, the card game market in general is less oppressive now and original games that are not YGO! or MtG can have a realistic chance of survival, depending on how it's handled. I mean, if Vanguard can make it, one would think a game tied to a long-running franchise would have an easier time at it.

But we shall see. In any case, this is kinda what made me realize Digimon is making a genuine comeback and I'm a lil shocked and ecstatic at the same time!

SparkGold

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
@mentalperson damn if only I even implied I was speaking for the entire world or, specifically, you

I find it interesting that nobody I've personally seen seems to know for sure if this card game will work or not outside of Japan due to the sheer fickleness of the trading card game market and all the known and unknown factors that could be at play. Even if I wasn't super into this card game like I am, it would still be super interesting to me to see how this product winds up in such a hard to predict market and community. Big respect to Bandai for taking this risk as well and showing a lot of effort towards making a quality localized product!

robotoboy

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
@mentalperson damn if only I even implied I was speaking for the entire world or, specifically, you

I find it interesting that nobody I've personally seen seems to know for sure if this card game will work or not outside of Japan due to the sheer fickleness of the trading card game market and all the known and unknown factors that could be at play. Even if I wasn't super into this card game like I am, it would still be super interesting to me to see how this product winds up in such a hard to predict market and community. Big respect to Bandai for taking this risk as well and showing a lot of effort towards making a quality localized product!
As a game shop owner this is truer than some people think. The only TCG's that really live are the big 3 (MTG/Pokemon/Yugioh) and that's because they have a very strong foundation behind each of them. In Japan niche TCG's usually have a chance, while here they just die while a handful of devoted players attempt to keep it alive.

I'm supporting the super pre-sale thing at my shop and I already have a million people telling me "I was always a pokemon guy/girl so I've never like digimon much" or the few who played the extremely old game "I used to have a deck, can I still use that one or my old cards? I don't really know anything about digimon" my business partner keeps trying to assure me that it will have an audience and while I'm sure it will (I'm a digimon fanatic) I don't think it will have a large one by any means. I think what we're seeing is Bandai trying to replicate the minor success they've had with the Dragon Ball Super TCG over here.

I appreciate the energy they're putting in though, and I'm excited for it (I don't even like TCG's usually) I just hope they keep their marketing strong, cause I know I'll be trying on my end XD

Mattman324

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I missed out on the Japanese starter deck Holydramon card but I have two of the booster pack ones. I will have to wait for the English starter Holydramon now it looks like...Then again the resellers wanted $12 for that card....I'm not into playing the game, I just collect singles based on favorite Digimon and artwork that I like. Same goes for the Pokemon TCG.
Basically all of the cheaper Vanillas see at least a bit of play, which includes all the level 6s. That's probably why the price is so high.

Vritramon was properly titled as Vritramon the last time it got into a Western-released game IIRC. Frontier in general was a mess in this regard, no less than four of the six allied Beast Forms either gained the name of a different line or lost it, amongst other bits of dumb stuff.

EDIT:

I appreciate the energy they're putting in though, and I'm excited for it (I don't even like TCG's usually) I just hope they keep their marketing strong, cause I know I'll be trying on my end XD
The thing that I think will make Digimon sell is how easy it is to get into if you understand card games. The life mechanic is easy to explain, the "regular cost vs Evolution cost" thing is easy to explain, Memory takes a few turns before you'll understand how it works forever, and most of the mechanics are fairly simple.

Duel Masters, when it hit the States, did really well for a while before Wizards took it out back and shot it. This is similar. I think it has a chance to snag an audience.

Muur

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Vritramon was properly titled as Vritramon the last time it got into a Western-released game IIRC.
It was - but ReArise also used the name KendoGarurumon so it's a coin flip.

HM uses BurningGreymon, but I think it must've been a last second switch because its in game profile refers to it as Vritramon and it appears in the "V" section of the Field Guide, not the B section. (and that has nothing to do with Japanese, Biyomon and Bukamon are correctly in the B section. If this was the case, they'd be under P even tho they have their dub names).

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I don't think that the Digimon in Cyber Sleuth were in alphabetical order. They were likely in the order that the Japanese use, so that all of the F, H, B, and P names would naturally be together.

Last edited:

Mattman324

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It was - but ReArise also used the name KendoGarurumon so it's a coin flip.

HM uses BurningGreymon, but I think it must've been a last second switch because its in game profile refers to it as Vritramon and it appears in the "V" section of the Field Guide, not the B section. (and that has nothing to do with Japanese, Biyomon and Bukamon are correctly in the B section. If this was the case, they'd be under P even tho they have their dub names).
Now would be an excellent time to properly fix them to Vritramon, Garummon (which could easily fall into Garuru searches anyway if it's 'Garu'), Bolgmon, and Kaiserleomon though. There's probably no helping changing Kazemon back to Fairymon, and this is ignoring other dub changes that are going to bite them in the ass (Can't wait for "holy" to be a thing searched for when the closest dub equivalent also hits Magnamon and Magnagarurumon), but...

I don't think that the Digimon in Cyber Sleuth were in alphabetical order. They were likely in the order that the Japanese use, so that all of the B, P, and V names would naturally be together.
Except the dub changed some of the P names to B names and put them with the B stuff, which is what he said.