Digimon Card Game English Version Announced for November and January, Begins with Combined Catch Up Boosters

Rohan

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
For people who've read about or watched or even gotten to play the Japanese version, what card game would you say it's most similar to? I have some experience with MTG but that's about it XP
"Duel Masters" ("Kaijudou" in Japan) since it's based on the same "Chrono Clash System" iirc. You can definitely see the resemblance too in having five coloured factions, shields that prevent a one hit kill direct attack, Evolution mechanic and so on.

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
A little funny that they're using the dub terms and yet the starter deck names are based off the Japanese attacks, ha.
That was the first thing I noticed. It's true that "Metal Wolf Blue" wouldn't sound nearly as badass.

BlankShell

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Not my cup of tea, but it's still really exciting to hear that they think it will be popular enough, and great for those asking for it. Maybe an app in the future?

Chudix

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It's sad that they are using old dubb names, while Crunchyroll have proper names like Yagami Taichi, Ishida Yamato etc.

Last edited:

Muur

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Oh man, if they're going to release the newest Digimon card game with it's Adventure: connection, I'd say a dub of the show is all but inevitable at this point.

I mean, shoot, we haven't had an English card game since, what, Frontier back in 2002? I thought the cards were typically poor sellers in America. This is a pretty big deal.
There were some dub cards for Digimon Fusion that lasted about as long as you would expect.

drtomoe123

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It's sad that they are using old dubb names, while Crunchyroll have proper names like Yagami Taichi, Ishida Yamato etc.
While I'm so happy that the card game is getting localized, this is my honest reaction. It's 2020, just drop the dub names and move on with a fresh start...well, maybe I'm being too harsh, lol. Still, very happy and I'll have to seriously weigh whether I want to collect these or stick to v-pets...

Mattman324

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Not too big of a surprise (Japanese card games don't launch with internationally sized cards unless, you know, they're planning on taking it internationally), but very welcome indeed.

Wickling

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
YESSSSS, Now if only they could confirm the trial decks are 4.99 like in japan or at least similarly cheap.

SparkGold

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
let's be honest, there's a reason they use Tai instead of Taichi over here: it's far more marketable. There's a reason most Digimon fans use the dub names for the kids, because people who have never spoken Japanese remembering "Takeru" or "Yamato" is a lot more tedious and less cool sounding than saying T.K. and Matt. To be honest, I can't even remember Izzy's real name as I type this despite watching 01 and 02 as a teen and Adventure: weekly since its debut 🤷‍♂️

As for the concerns of this not staying true to the Japanese card game, I paused the English release announcement YouTube video on every card it featured and they're all 1:1 on what the Japanese cards say which is the opposite of a red flag so I have no worries. There's something called a "special campaign" next week and we're getting the tutorial app soon so we'll know early if there's any red flags, but right now it's looking super good

Muur

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
let's be honest, there's a reason they use Tai instead of Taichi over here: it's far more marketable. There's a reason most Digimon fans use the dub names for the kids, because people who have never spoken Japanese remembering "Takeru" or "Yamato" is a lot more tedious and less cool sounding than saying T.K. and Matt. To be honest, I can't even remember Izzy's real name as I type this despite watching 01 and 02 as a teen and Adventure: weekly since its debut 🤷‍♂️

As for the concerns of this not staying true to the Japanese card game, I paused the English release announcement YouTube video on every card it featured and they're all 1:1 on what the Japanese cards say which is the opposite of a red flag so I have no worries. There's something called a "special campaign" next week and we're getting the tutorial app soon so we'll know early if there's any red flags, but right now it's looking super good
The only thing they'll need to watch out for is the DemiVeeimon card. The Asian site uses DemiVeemon, but if they use that on the English cards and want it to be consistent with the Japanese (say for example, like Yugioh you could use any card from any language) they would need to stipulate that Rina's effect doesn't work on DemiVeemon as the Rina card buffs Vee/V- Digimon, and that would mean it'd work for "DemiVeemon". Ah good ole "except Frog the Jam". Yugioh is rampant for this because of the amount of random ass renames there's been over the years. They could mention in a rule book of sorts somewhere, but I get the feeling theyll name it DemiVeemon and it'll be down to the fans to point out you can't use Rina's support effect on DemiVeemon (not that anyone would, I suppose).

Perhaps that's one reason they "should" stick to JP names, but nah.

Tyrannomon could be a similar problem, as Taiga supports "Tyranomon" Digimon, but the dub, for some reason, uses two N's for everyone, and then only one for Rust. the Asian site corrects this and has Rust with two Ns (for the first time in a localisation), but still, there can be a lot of things like this as a result of dub card namings. Yugioh knows this the most. It's something people may need to pay attention to for proper accuracy caused by dub name changes.

anyway yes, the franchise is 25 years old - it is way too late to permanently switch to Japanese names.

Deep Saver

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The only thing they'll need to watch out for is the DemiVeeimon card. The Asian site uses DemiVeemon, but if they use that on the English cards and want it to be consistent with the Japanese (say for example, like Yugioh you could use any card from any language) they would need to stipulate that Rina's effect doesn't work on DemiVeemon as the Rina card buffs Vee/V- Digimon, and that would mean it'd work for "DemiVeemon". Ah good ole "except Frog the Jam". Yugioh is rampant for this because of the amount of random ass renames there's been over the years. They could mention in a rule book of sorts somewhere, but I get the feeling theyll name it DemiVeemon and it'll be down to the fans to point out you can't use Rina's support effect on DemiVeemon (not that anyone would, I suppose).

Tyrannomon could be a similar problem, as Taiga supports "Tyranomon" Digimon, but the dub, for some reason, uses two N's for everyone, and then only one for Rust. the Asian site corrects this and has Rust with two Ns (for the first time in a localisation), but still, there can be a lot of things like this as a result of dub card namings. Yugioh knows this the most. It's something people may need to pay attention to for proper accuracy caused by dub name changes.

anyway yes, the franchise is 25 years old - it is way too late to permanently switch to Japanese names.
DemiVeemon is actually a safe name for now, since Rina’s effect does not work on the Digitama Deck, only the normal one. I am a bit concerned we might have some translation nightmares in the future due to dub names, but hopefully they carefully think things through and are willing to change names as needed or include a clause specifying things like “DemiVeemon is not treated as having Vee in its name”. Dub terminology is already so wildly inconsistent sometimes that I don’t think changing some problematic names for the card game will hurt marketing THAT bad if it comes to it.

Muur

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

DemiVeemon is actually a safe name for now, since Rina’s effect does not work on the Digitama Deck, only the normal one. I am a bit concerned we might have some translation nightmares in the future due to dub names, but hopefully they carefully think things through and are willing to change names as needed or include a clause specifying things like “DemiVeemon is not treated as having Vee in its name”. Dub terminology is already so wildly inconsistent sometimes that I don’t think changing some problematic names for the card game will hurt marketing THAT bad if it comes to it.
Huh, well fair enough.

I think the biggest headache would be if they have Greymon/Garurumon support cards due to BurningGreymon and KendoGarurumon. (HM uses the dub names, but ReArise uses the JP name for BGmon). Also if they go with "Samudramon" if they have Dramon support, but I find that unlikely as most games use Gaiomon with Next Order the sole exception. Oh and DoruGreymon.

Last edited:

e105zeta

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Metal Kabuterimon . . . Frontier was a bad era for stupid dub names.

Chudix

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The only thing they'll need to watch out for is the DemiVeeimon card. The Asian site uses DemiVeemon, but if they use that on the English cards and want it to be consistent with the Japanese (say for example, like Yugioh you could use any card from any language)
It's not true.

Yu-Gi-Oh! TCG cards printed in English, French, Italian, German, Spanish and Portuguese can be played in any TCG territory.

Cards printed in Japanese, Korean, Chinese or “Asian English” (ie: Yu-Gi-Oh! OCG cards) can only be played in Asian territories and are not legal for use in Yu-Gi-Oh! TCG events.

Nemomon

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I wonder if the promo cards like Taiga or V-Tamer Taichi will be included in the boosters, or they will be forever lost.

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Update in the news. The starter decks 'might' have booster packs included?

Rohan

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I could actually see them quietly retconning the lesser known Digimon like from Frontier back to their original JPN names. Not saying they will though. 😚

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Image of the booster box added to the news.