Digimon Card Battle 7 with Plutomon Preview from Booster Set 4 & New Starter Deck Matches

Momentai

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I have the feeling that the aggressive side of Green is receiving more and more support. I mean, beside the fast evolution/suspending strategy, there are cards like Bancho Stingmon, other powerful piercing Digimon, and now even Palmon, Togemon, and Atlur Kabuterimon from the new starter deck which seem more like "red-oriented" cards to me
To be fair, Green has always been the designated "Combat Color" if you ask me. Maybe not the extent of overall aggression and destruction as Red, but Green preying off the Suspended state in general, aka the state where you're actually allowed to attack a Digimon, faster evolution so you can get to your bigger bodies faster, being the only other color besides Red to have Piercing, etc. There's also other examples like RustTyrannomon just completely ignoring the rules and being able to attack Unsuspended Digimon. Like, Green deals with most threats in Combat very specifically, since unlike something like Red, their "spot removal" cards tend to be somewhat weaker compared to equivalents in other colors.
Yeah I guess you're right. Probably it's just me that didn't consider this point of view before.

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'm not saying it's black with blue highlighting. I'm saying that the blue itself is representing black.

Case in point, my example of Batman. In many of his comic depictions, his mask is clearly blue with some heavy shadows, but everyone knows it's "meant" to be completely black.

Sasasi just likes adding some degree of chromaticity to his blacks and shadows. You can even see on the card itself that the shading on the yellow portions of Plutomon have a very blue/green tint. He's drawn a "blue" Alphamon before too.
The Batman example is actually quite poor because very often he wears blue masks which are never defined as 'this is supposed to be black' (on a number of occasions standing next to people, sometimes other versions of Batman, wearing blues or blacks.)

And your own image comparison doesn't really work either, because you can still look at that and go 'that is black, but with lighting adding definition'. It may even prove it isn't intended to be black on Plutomon, as you can see from that image 'how' sasasi adds color variation via lighting...

That is not what it happening in the Plutomon image. It's blue. You can see it is blue. The shadowed areas are a darker blue fading to black.

There is nothing in the image suggesting the primary color is meant to be black, nor is the blue used dark enough, or subtle enough, to suggest as such. It's a very strong metallic type blue. If it's meant to be black, then the artist simply failed to properly convey that. Plutomon is a reasonably dark vivid black, and the image doesn't give that, nor does it show that we are supposed to take it as a lighting effect making him appear not to be.

SparkGold

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
wouldn't the entirely blue lit background suggest that the color is from lighting? Anubismon and Cerberusmon are both entirely blue shifted

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
wouldn't the entirely blue lit background suggest that the color is from lighting? Anubismon and Cerberusmon are both entirely blue shifted
They really aren't, not like he is. They are 'shifted' blue, but you can tell they are being lit up blueish due to the lighting. Plutomon has been colored with a metallic/steel type blue color.

If Plutomon is meant to be black with blue lighting, then the artist simply did a poor job of that (and as we've seen, the artist knows how to do lighting in other images.) There is nothing in the art to suggest he is colored black and that the blue is from the lighting, even with the lighting being blue. He's been colored a relatively bold blue color, with the only places showing any black are places insanely shadowed.

There is nothing in that image to suggest the character is colored black (especially the deep dark black that Plutomon is), to the degree that if the card didn't have the name on it, it'd be debatable if it was intended to be a new form of the character, or a different character with the same design.

Shotguner159

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'm not saying it's black with blue highlighting. I'm saying that the blue itself is representing black.

Case in point, my example of Batman. In many of his comic depictions, his mask is clearly blue with some heavy shadows, but everyone knows it's "meant" to be completely black.
It's not actually. Batman's suit is meant to be blue in those cases. Look at at the art of a few of his costumes next to each other they released for his 80th anniversary, the blue ones are still blue and the black ones are still black.

It's really explicit in Battle for the Cowl too - Tim Drake wears a batsuit that has a blue cowl and cape, and Jason Todd wears one that has a black cowl and cape.

MechaMadness

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Honestly, I just kinda wish I was able to ask Sasasi personally what the intended color for this Plutomon art was meant to come across as, since that'd obviously be the quickest way to get a final answer on this. Though I doubt I'd be able to get a response even if I could ask, because I wouldn't be surprised if there's a non-disclosure agreement or some other legal stuff that'd prevent them from giving a response on the process that goes into making professional art even if they wanted to.

Sparrow Hawk

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I didn’t recognize Cerberumon Werewolf Mode at first. Looked like AeroV-dramon, which would be really random.

QUOTE="Sparrow Hawk, post: 383867, member: 652"]Surprised to Plutomon's shoulders have the tongue... Always thought it's only dog shaped shoulder armor pads. So it does mean all "teeth" on Plutomon are very alive?
Yes. See its profile.
[/QUOTE]

I thought Plutomon's armor making the sounds oddly as he chases down the enemies to the end but I didn't think it actually means they are really living things.

YongYoKyo

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Honestly, I just kinda wish I was able to ask Sasasi personally what the intended color for this Plutomon art was meant to come across as, since that'd obviously be the quickest way to get a final answer on this. Though I doubt I'd be able to get a response even if I could ask, because I wouldn't be surprised if there's a non-disclosure agreement or some other legal stuff that'd prevent them from giving a response on the process that goes into making professional art even if they wanted to.
His social media is his medium to interact personally with fans, but I'd oppose bothering him, or any artist really, with uncalled-for questions unless he tweets the card himself or opens a Q&A. Even then, whether he answers is up to him.

Lord Bearmon

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I see that there's a black/blue white/gold dress meme going on.
But it's definitely black armor with blue lighting in my eyes, even the red cape is shaded blue due to its intensity.
The shoulder tongue is indeed blue, you can clearly see the difference in color of it and the armor.
Some parts that aren't hit by the light (e.g between the thigh and knee cap) are dark grey, suggesting that it's actually not blue.