Digimon anime needs to up its action..

Ragnalord

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
When I look at pokemon and naruto, then move into digimon, the action here seems really weak in comparison, in between action there is alot of drama between digidestined and their emotions, the digimon going back and forth with evolutions, the viewer seeing them over and over repeatedly its irritating, cant the action just continue and the digidestined supporting their digimon from behind, it does not help that ones that cool evolution takes place, e.g. omnimon merciful mode, the action just ends there without there being more awesome seens revolving around it. It would be nice if omnimon mm toyed around a bit with ordinemon to show of how strong he has become in that new form.

With that said there have been few good actions like the dynasmon and mercadesmon vs emperorgreymon and magnagarurumon, the clash between royal knights and raguelmon etc.. but even those don't last long.

Last edited:

Sparrow Hawk

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Digimon movies sure have great fights.

bearmon

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Most tv anime do not have great action. Unless it's saved for a film or special episode

Amnaeal

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It's a show aimed at Kids the studio's largest audience "I think" they will animate things that help them sell more toys and stuff, can't blame them really but their sacrificing their capacity to make great art to increase revenue.

amzounslide95

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I think that Parrotmon is coming back from
Digimon Adventure the Movie or
Digimon Adventure 02.

Tutuapp 9apps Showbox

Last edited:

MFbM

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
You mean the repeated animations of the old Digimon series (yeah looking at you, both Adventure and Adventure 02)? Or the stiffness of the "gigantic" Digimon like MetalGreymon, just standing there shooting stuff and boom, fight's over?

Eiji

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I mean, I'd much prefer a bigger focus on interpersonal relationships than action. That being said, I feel like that was mostly a problem with Adventure and 02. I rewatched Tamers recently and the action scenes were fine.

Sarabande__

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
They are both different it has nothing to do with kids being the audience. Most people that watch digimon are over 20 that's why in tri there were some adult moments. I think digimon is going away from very young kids they are targeting adults more. That's because they aimed it at kids when it came out but they know we have all gotten older so they are making digimon grow with us. Take survive for example that's not aimed at kids because there will be death and stuff. As I said before tri wasn't aimed at kids either. So the more newer stuff digimon make will be made for the older fans that have followed them from the beginning. But having said this I'm sure there are some kids that watch it and it's good that they do because it's a great franchise.

Eiji

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
TV Digimon anime is definitely targetted at kids, hence why Xros War and Applimon seem so gimmicky and designed to sell toys. The Tri and Kizuna movies are targeting fans of the first Adventure. The games on the other hand are targeting a broader audience, seen in Cyber Sleuth's teen rating and, ahem, costuming, and Survive's darker tone. Adventure Colon is serving a double purpose of trying to get kids invested in the franchise while also being accepted by an older audience.

Kotekuma

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Omnimon does not "toy around" when the world is in danger.

I loathe the whole "toy around" as it's done in anime. It actually reduces storytelling and conflict.

VanChizzle

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

I loathe the whole "toy around" as it's done in anime. It actually reduces storytelling and conflict.
Do you mean when someone claims that they want to "have some fun first" before "it's time to get serious"? It definitely doesn't seem to happen very happen in Digimon, although one prominent example would be Piedmon when he was facing WarGreymon and MetalGarurumon before he started turning everyone into keychains (even though he doesn't exactly say those words IIRC). It's almost just a part of his character, being a clown and all.

NTDum2

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

It sounds like a Golden Age, superhero quote lol XD

That said, I believe the Digimon Anime will never get too many improvements in the action department, I´ m sorry if this hurts to hear, but in a series with multiple sized beings, I doubt it´ ll ever get the kind of fight animation we see humanoid beings do in series like Fate Stay Night or the early seasons of RWBY for instance, it´ s not well suited for that kind of thing, in fact if there were tries to do so, it would require increasing the number of humanoid digimon types far more, to make it easier to animate and oh boi will it still be hard to do!

DragonicEmperor

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
To be fair, Fate is a whole different beast. Their budget is on another level (And as far as I know, they have an in-house animation team).

RWBY's not really a good example cayse the quality after volume 3 dropped hard while some fighting routines were apparently blatantly copy-pasted from other shows. (But yeah, the combat those first 3 volumes were nice. Monty excelled at those.)

B-mon

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
To be fair to Toei, the design philosophy/formula for Digimon does not seem to give one iota about "how is this thing going to move around". Watanabe and his boys will mercilessly add any small detail they can think of. Most of the more complex Digimon would be such a pain in the ass to animate.

DigiKing Tamer

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
To be fair to Toei, the design philosophy/formula for Digimon does not seem to give one iota about "how is this thing going to move around". Watanabe and his boys will mercilessly add any small detail they can think of. Most of the more complex Digimon would be such a pain in the ass to animate.
Maybe one or two hypothetical movies in the future might give some of the more complex Digimon a time to shine, assuming that Toei hasn't given up on movies outside of the recent ones relating to OG Adventure.

NTDum2

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Especially the bigger ones, average high stature humanoid types are easier to make better fights with than Kaiju size ones.

Tamers fights (among many others) had same issues, if it was humanoid on humanoid (like Burst mode Dukemon vs Agent or Dukemon vs Beelzemon there was more leeway for stuff like submission maneuveurs and other moves aside from special flashy attacks), but in kaiju fights this approach just doesnt work so Digimon as a whole focuses on being "flashy" with special attacks and having good designs, over having amazing fighting animation.

And if I recall correctly, RWBY and other series with good fighting animation with small to average stature humanoids, suck massively when it comes to massive kaiju fights as well, Digimon just happens to have more kaiju fights, due to the different sizes, evolutionary lines take.

All said and done though, the Royal knights have potential for good animated fights, it just may not be realized, due to other priorities during production.

Last edited: