Digimon Adventure Zero-Two BD-Box is Out! Scans, Screencaps, and Discussions!

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The set came out a few days ago and after lots of scanning and editing it's time to write!

Thanks to the people who donated so we could get the set.

As normal, I won't be going over the show itself, just the set.

Everything was scanned at 2400dpi. The level of editing was done differently based on what it it was. Covers and new pieces of art got a full range of editing, while stuff like ads just had their levels redone. After editing things were shrunk and saved as a higher than standard level JPG.

Screencaps are all lossless PNGs.

JPGs are embedded, PNGs are not.

A few written elements were pasted from the Adventure breakdown where appropriate.

This box in many ways mirrors the Adventure box in how certain things are setup, so I'll be skimming my own breakdown of the Adventure box as I write this.

First up is the box with it's semi-clear slipcover.

Image Thumbnail Image Thumbnail (custom) Image Thumbnail

The cardboard used for the box actually curves, so reassembling into one scan likely won't be possible. It's a great image that mirrors what was done for Adventure. What's especially nice is a few unexpected characters showing up on it. And some of you may notice that Takeru's position is nearly identical to where he was on the Adventure box.

And without the slipcover we get...

Image Thumbnail Image Thumbnail (custom) Image Thumbnail

I quite like how the Kaiser shows up here, but there isn't any art of him on the slipcover. It adds a slight air of uniqueness.

The bottom of the box has various technical and legal info along with the barcode.

Image Thumbnail

On the outside of the sets plastic wrap, there was a small sticker with some information about the set

Image Thumbnail

Before we get to the set itself, a few bits that comes with the Jogress edition.

Image Thumbnail

The Jogress edition has some nice embossing on the top of the box, and it uses a 'gold line' motif to drawn in the art.

Image Thumbnail Image Thumbnail

Image Thumbnail

The various sides have the names of the shows and the sets. The bottom has nothing but some copyright information and the catalog number of the set.

Even the inside of the box has a bit of a surprise. Unfortunately because of how the box was put together I couldn't get it to sit on a scanner to scan, so I took the best shots I could with my phone (it's not fun trying to get a shot from a box that's constantly trying to close.)

They use the same gold color for these as for the rest of the Jogress box. It's a nice little addition.

This big jogress box holds both the Blu-ray sets for Adventure and Zero-Two.

Because it's included with 02, they had to put a spacer in to help protect the size of it. I decided to scan the spacer box on the off chance it had anything of note.

Image Thumbnail

I don't think anything worthwhile is here, but it didn't hurt to do it.

The Jogress edition also came with giant cloth posters of the covers to the Adventure and 02 Blu-ray box. I'm still trying to figure out the best way to scan something that large. These are just sample images of it provided online.

Image Thumbnail

The Amazon edition comes with a few bonus items...

A steel CD case.

Image Thumbnail

Image Thumbnail

There were no disks included, so this could be used to hold any number of CDs, DVDs, or Blu-rays.

The Amazon edition also includes a poster of the original key art image from 02, but the same issue with the others, it's just to large to scan on my equipment. This is a sample image of the poster that Amazon provided.

Image Thumbnail

Back to the Jogress edition!

It includes two books of various making of material.

I'm putting these books back cover first since the image continues onto the back for the Adventure book.

These books appear to be various combinations of previously released elements put together into a more coherent package for the set.

I'm working on figuring out a way to hopefully scan these, as both are quite large (150ish) pages with unusually tight binding.

As you can see, the new images of Taichi and Daisuke used on the cover of the Jogress edition came from the covers of these books.

And to finish off the Jogress edition....

Image Thumbnail

Image Thumbnail

An utterly massive oban! It took 2 scans to get this (luckily there was a good cut off point and I just ignored rejoining it.) The oban has a ton of information about the Jogress edition and covers part of the top, one side, and the entire back.

And one last bit before the actual set itself...

It came with some ad slips that I did scans of so everyone could see.

Image Thumbnail Image Thumbnail Image Thumbnail

Just some basic ads for the normal BD and DVD versions of tri. part 1, some of the GEM figures, and tri. part 2.

Onto the 02 set itself!

It came with a booklet that is a reprint/reformulation of the prior 02 DVD book, same as the Adventure set. There is supposed to be some new interview material in here. Much like the other two books, I'll try and figure out how to pull this thing apart properly. Instead of eggs, like the first set, this one uses the 9 crest symbols. The 3 on the front cover I'd say work symbolically very well for 02, wouldn't you say?

Inside the 02 box itself, we have 2 smaller 'book style' boxes. Each of these has brand new pieces of art on the outside with a basic screenshot turned into a wideshot on the inside. The first is the Village of Beginnings on the inside, and I'll get to the second one later.

Image Thumbnail (custom)

Great picnic shot here. It shows all the kids and the Digimon really well. I feel like my favorite is probably Armadimon, he just looks so pleased (also, it is just me or is Iori looking at us?)

The first 4 disks uses art from the front cover and uses the eye motif the Adventure set started. And to help fill in the characters, the fourth disk uses a full version of the Kaiser that we only saw in silhouette on the box.

Image Thumbnail Image Thumbnail Image Thumbnail Image Thumbnail

Image Thumbnail (custom)

The second case just looks fantastic. The various 02 villains on the left, with the higher level hero Digimon on the right (with a few different versions of V-Mon and Wormmon to help fill in the ranks artistically.)

The last 4 disks keep the same motif as the first 4.

Image Thumbnail Image Thumbnail Image Thumbnail Image Thumbnail

Now last time, the inside of the second case had a surprise, and they continue this theme with this box...

No embed here since you don't want to get spoiled (although you can probably guess...) http://images.withthewill.net/02/02_case2_tray.jpg

Onto the episodes! Video info and caps are from episode 1 (some of this I'll just be clipping from the Adventure review where it's the same.)

http://images.withthewill.net/02/compositecaps/02-1-bd-03.png

The video is encoded using AVC at an average bitrate of roughly 31 Mbps. Rather good bitrate overall for animated content. The episodes are encoded at 1080i. This in and of itself was expected because of the way the show was made and the way the BD spec is (Digimon was made with mixed framerate, which Blu-ray can't do, but via trickery that I've never 100% understood using 1080i mixed framerate content is apparently possible.)

http://images.withthewill.net/02/compositecaps/02-1-bd-19.png

The 1080i encoding itself appears to have been done properly, so any standard hardware can deinterlace the picture to 1080p without any visual oddities.

The audio itself is standard 2 channel uncompressed PCM and is exactly what you would expect for a show of the era (and not even inherently different than most anime coming out on Blu-ray today in fact.)

http://images.withthewill.net/02/compositecaps/02-1-bd-25.png

The episodes themselves have their master tapes encoded at 480i, so the set as expected was upscaled. The upscale overall is actually rather good in general (in fact, better than Adventure). Most shots appear slighty smeary, although it's definitely more visible in screencaps than it is in motion. The quality of the upscale shot to shot seems more based on how the shots themselves look than any other factor. This tends to mean the video quality jumps around, but is generally decent for an uspcale. It's certainly better than the ancient DVD singles and the DVD set from a decade ago.

There is composite rainbowing at times (but oddly it appears to be far less than the Adventure boxset.) Dot crawl dalso seems to be heavily reduced from the Adventure set. By and large it feels like they went into this set looking to improve on the decent/good job they did on Adventure.

http://images.withthewill.net/02/compositecaps/02-1-bd-26.png

I realistically think this is likely the best 02 will ever look.

http://images.withthewill.net/02/compositecaps/02-1-bd-24.png

Or is it...

Well... it is for most of 02. But 02 was quite unique in it's production in one way. Partway through production they stopped outputting to composite masters, and switched to component. And for the appropriate episodes these component masters were used for the Blu-ray set.

http://images.withthewill.net/02/componentcaps/02-2-bd-13.png

So I have to do the video again.

http://images.withthewill.net/02/componentcaps/02-2-bd-19.png

02 ends being composite at the end of episode 39 (the introduction of Imperialdramon) and turns component at the beginning of episode 40 (the first World Tour episode, taking place in New York.) The series continues on component up through the very end.

The video details and specs themselves are identical, the average bitrate is different by less than 10k, so encoding was set to make episodes a certain size.

http://images.withthewill.net/02/componentcaps/02-2-bd-29.png

The component episodes have significantly better video quality.

With composite noise and elements not mucking up the upscaling process, the scaling seems to come out much cleaner and crisp to some degree.

Certainly Zero-Two will never be properly HD, but it's nice that for these episodes, the colors come through much more vividly.

Small clips that were sourced from composite tapes were used in the component episodes (100% pre-existing footage.)

http://images.withthewill.net/02/componentcaps/02-2-bd-01.png

The disks menu keeps the theme that Adventure set, using the basic design of the disks.

http://images.withthewill.net/02/02-bd-menu.png

Clean and usable (Each disk is themed after the kid and Digimon the physical disk.)

The set overall seems a step up from the Adventure set, which is nice, since the Adventure set itself was done with a degree of effort and care.

The video is on the whole the best the show has looked even if there are random scenes that clearly didn't upscale as well as others. I plan to throw the disks in my BD player hooked up to a TV to watch them a bit, as watching on the computer tends to heighten issues because of how close I sit to the computer screen. Audio is roughly what you'd expect. The packaging is rather nice, although truth be told, I'm not a fan of the 'book' style of packaging. I tend to prefer standard BD cases in a box.

Caps were taken at random from episode 1 (for composite) and episode 40 (for component.) Caps were only not used if they had noise that wasn't indictive of the quality of the set, or if a scene change happened in the middle of the cap. Embedded caps were chosen at random or for my own amusement.

Here are all the caps in lossless PNG in galleries. They are stored off site, but I have backup copies stored on WtW, so if they ever go down let me know and I'll replace them.

Composite, from Episode 1 Page 1 Page 2
Component, from Episode 40 Page 1 Page 2

As I've mentioned, request what you want and I will screencap it. Just please give me an episode and a timecode.

This set was done quite well. I'm pleased that it came out better than Adventure to some degree. Tamers, Frontier, and Savers were 100% component, so hopefully they have their component tapes around.

We are still taking donations to do future Digimon releases

Hope you enjoyed the breakdown and scans. Hopefully more to come (Especially with the amount of work it takes to do one of these.)

If there is interest in higher resolution (and less compressed) versions of various scans I'll see about getting those up also.

Feel free to discuss the scans, the breakdown, or the set itself in this thread.

Update- ANN is reporting first week sales of 3,171. We don't know if this includes every version. Will update with updated information when it's available.

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The article will have various updates made to it as necessary.

At this point I've updated it with all the caps I took and used.

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Thanks for doing all of that scanning and screen-capping! I was not at all surprised but still just the tiniest bit disappointed that they didn't manage to squeeze Dagomon into the second "inner" box. They did include those butterflies, though, which are apparently the true masterminds of all the evil. And we can see the Digi-Letter labels on the Dark Towers clearly for the first time outside of line art.

AquaVersus

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'm glad you enjoyed the box and took the effort to scan and edit everything -- I personally don't need the scans but they're good for the community to have, so thank you. I mostly appreciate the information on 02's production and how it's reflected in this release. I was thinking about donating for this release in particular since it was so expensive, but for that same reason, I was kind of preoccupied with saving up for my own copy. And I *love* it.

I have the Adventure and Adventure 02 sets sitting in that beautiful box right now and it just feels great. They seem to have put a nice amount of effort into this release.

CloneWarrior

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I am loving how out of place Wormmon looks on that awesome villain cover-art.

Vande

Roll Roll, Critical, Critical
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
After all the spam updates in his thread. It's nice to see the full thing scanned and out. I like how Tailmon has her ring in the group picture of the children. It really does look a nice set. Thanks to those that donated and thanks Marc for taking the time to scan.

Crazy_Tai

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I really like the look of this set but I don't think I want to spend that sort of money on it right now. Might just buy the normal version now.

jamesC

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
how much did the set cost in Japan?

mozyss

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Thank you for your sharing

ShikaSS

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Thank you very much for the scans, Marc.

It really is endearing to see Oikawa holding Pipimon. Both "book" covers look amazing!
I think many people would be interested to see the contents of the artbooks, maybe you could take some photos of what catches your eye, instead of scanning the whole thing.

It did not sell all that well, compared to the first BD Box Set, which is a shame since it looks much nicer. It might have gotten 2nd place on the rankings, but that may not be enough for them to take more risks releasing future BD sets.

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It did not sell all that well, compared to the first BD Box Set, which is a shame since it looks much nicer. It might have gotten 2nd place on the rankings, but that may not be enough for them to take more risks releasing future BD sets.

It wasn't expected to sell anywhere near Adventure's numbers.

Adventure sold in abnormally high numbers (to nearly 10x.)

Many boxes like this you only expect to sell in the 1000 to 2000 range.

Adventure had multiple things explaining it's boosted numbers, but it still sold far past expectations.

The money made via Adventure puts it in the top 10 for anime series BD-Boxes that didn't originally get a Blu-ray box. It's above original Gundam, Cowboy Bebop, Code Geass, etc.

As an example, as I recall Kamen Rider Kabuto people REALLY wanted a BD box, and I think it did like 1500 first week when it came out last year?

Fresh Pretty Cure is getting it's BD Boxes now and I believe it was hitting about 1100.

The 02 box is also outpacing quite a few brand new shows in Blu-ray sales.

02 is already in the top 100 (calculating sales times MSRP, and I'm using the MSRP of the normal set, while many people bought the jogress or Amazon which was more expensive.)

02 is already past (a few notable shows in the top 100 of this)- Onegai Teacher, Ranma 1/2, Black Lagoon, Initial D, and Macross.

It will likely pass Macross 7 and Slam Dunk. It can be hard to tell later on as the numbers are harder to get as things get lower in sales.

If they can keep these numbers for Tamers through Hunters I can guarantee you Toei/Happinet will be beyond ecstatic.

Or if that gets a bit complicated number wise...

ShikaSS

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
While that is true, seeing tri. nearly doubling 02's numbers might cause Toei/Happinet to think twice about giving a damn about the rest of the franchise.

ANN is reporting first week sales of 3,171. We don't know if this includes every version.
I noticed ANN specified these numbers apply only to "(Limited complete First Pressing)". They might be refering to the Jogress editions, no?

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
While that is true, seeing tri. nearly doubling 02's numbers might cause Toei/Happinet to think twice about giving a damn about the rest of the franchise.
tri. is brand new content, you expect brand new content to perform at a certain level. You have to remember, 02 is a catalog title. Minus paying to put the set together, the show is already made. It's effectively free money. It's outpacing NEW shows on home video. Significantly (not just Toei shows either.)

A few numbers from long running 'pseudo comparable titles'. Long running since Digimon despite breaks, would still be considered a long running franchise. Some of these are BD only, some include DVDs.

It's week 1 sales are already 3 times BOTH Dragon Ball Super boxes combined.
Fairy Tail is considered a money maker and most of it's volumes sell less than 500.
Modern Hunter x Hunter rarely hit more than 500.
Volume by volume I the Naruto and Shippuden anime got better numbers than this once.
The last time One Piece hit this number for a volume was 4 or so years ago.
1 volume of Pretty Cure (v1 of Yes Precure 5) had better numbers a decade ago.

Just a few known franchises and the numbers they hit. And those are all for new content. For a catalog title to do these numbers, it's not groundbreaking, but it's GREAT free money for them (I skimmed those numbers, so it's possible I missed something somewhere, but they should be ROUGHLY accurate.)

ANN is reporting first week sales of 3,171. We don't know if this includes every version.
I noticed ANN specified these numbers apply only to "(Limited complete First Pressing)". They might be refering to the Jogress editions, no?
I don't believe so. I believe what happened was likely pasting in the name of a listing from Amazon or elsewhere into an automated translator (it saying DNA Digivolution on their listing, or someone didn't realize there are multiple versions of the set, and translated the listing, etc.)

I've seen sales numbers elsewhere as "Digimon Adventure 02 15th Anniversary BD Box", but I got it from ANN first so I credit them.

Numbers wise, these are great numbers for 02.

Hopefully this explains why business wise, it appears the set is a solid seller.

ShikaSS

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
You have to remember, 02 is a catalog title. Minus paying to put the set together, the show is already made. It's effectively free money. It's outpacing NEW shows on home video. Significantly (not just Toei shows either.)
Did not think about it that way. Yeah, you're right.

solopinguinos

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Can you scan the booklets?
Thanks! Thanks for the work you're doing!

PonyoBellanote

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Thank you very much for the whole scan job and all, Marc! It's wonderful, and I hope worth it, for archival reasons. It's really good and I appreciate it. The set looks fine. Here's waiting til Tamers hit the stores, which is my favourite DIGIMON series and the ones we're most curious because of the complete composite source. It seems the composite source looks kind of fine in the Blu-ray already so unless they go out of their way with filters, Tamers must look good.

I mean, they already did in the DVD, minus the interlace of 576i, so, it must really gonna look good.

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Can you scan the booklets?
Thanks! Thanks for the work you're doing!
That's kind of a tall order, since I think they're like 200 pages long.
Together the 3 booklets (and I'd likely go back and grab the BD booklet from Adventure also, so 4) would be in excess of 400 pages (I don't recall how long the normal 02 and Adventure books are, but each of the Jogress edition books was 150 pages.)

I actually don't mind doing it, despite that it would take me weeks (because I would do my full suite of editing.)

The issue is, I don't have the equipment (or the money to get the equipment) to do it without disassembling the books. And frankly, the binding is so tight I expect something would rip even trying to do that.

And I'm unwilling to disassemble and risk ripping/cutting pages and making it not possible to finish doing without having a second set as backup.

If someone got the jogress set just for the case and doesn't want the jogress books (or even the normal Adventure/02 books, but ESPECIALLY the jogress books) please PM me.

I'm willing to spend the time and do the work, but I need to have backup copies in hand if I'm going to start what will be a longform project like this.

As an example why I'd need to disassemble these to make this work...

Image Thumbnail

Pulling the book as open as I dare.

Image Thumbnail

From the top pulling it apart.

Image Thumbnail

Letting the book sit upside down under it's own weight.

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
And there's not a handheld scanner that could do it right? Or are those too expensive for something like this.