Digimon Adventure tri. Stage Play Discussion

gok

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I think there is some little plot hole: if this occur between part 1 and 2, why other kids' Digimons can evolve into Ultimate

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I think there is some little plot hole: if this occur between part 1 and 2, why other kids' Digimons can evolve into Ultimate
99% of it didn't really happen (and it seems like it's insanely unclear at what might be real at all.)

And I wouldn't be shocked at a vague mention that memories of the 'fake' reality might fade or become cloudy (as tends to be a plot element with that type of thing.)

SharpeBB

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Thanks for the recap! I must say, I'm kind of glad that there wasn't too much focus on action, as I was a bit skeptical of the idea of having constant evolutions look good on stage.
I wasn't surprised to see that the MetalGreymon aspect was a weak aspect.

But that being said, I am glad that it appears it's really not supposed to fit into the timeline of Tri. I was a little concerned that they were going to try and force in an unnatural arch that was truly part of canon. But to me it sounds more like it's more just tied to Tri because Tri isn't finished yet. Like if they had produced the play after Tri had finished, they could have done virtually the same story, without any real issues.

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
That sounds great. I'm glad it was actually good. It seemed like it would be a hard sell since it was puppets but I'm glad it worked.

sulmandinah

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Sounds like a great show! Is there any hints regarding Shipping?

MidoriHime

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Looking at the images... they should totally try going international with this. Just hire some more guys in grey to run around the stage and hold up big cardboard signs with subtitles whenever someone says anything.

Also, I hope the "DVD" mentioned earlier is a Bluray... it would be a shame if something as unique as this ends up in the same outdated standard-definition hell that all the commercial Appmon releases seem to have been consigned to.
No blu ray as yet (and honestly, with most shows still not sold out, I wouldn't hold your breath). Re the international thing, in the AiiA theatre (a theatre specifically for anime stage plays) they use special glasses where foreigners (English and Chinese reading) can see subtitles in real time kinda... floating? In space? It's pretty interesting technology. It wouldn't do well internationally when it's already a flop at home tho.

gok said:
Only Gabu and Agu evolved on screen.

99% of it didn't really happen (and it seems like it's insanely unclear at what might be real at all.)
Well, it did all happen. Just not in the real world. In an alternate space where time doesn't flow the same. Everything in the time altered space is where they aren't in school uniform. It's pretty clear I think.

Sounds like a great show! Is there any hints regarding Shipping?
All girls denied liking someone. But Mimi also said she didn't know about her dreams only to be truthful later, so who knows? ;p

I don't think the DVD is available online yet. I filled out a handwritten form. On paper. Like a savage.

Interesting bit of trivia: the audience was about 80% female fans. The girls who sat next to me and my friend were literally crying at the end of the show.
Paper orders are common at all types of stage plays from my experience. Not sure why they don't have some type of qr code link to save paper or something, but I guess it works? Disappointing that its pick up only (usually they have delivery options) So are girls crying ;) (Btw, this is the Australian from the play lol)

Inpu

How deep the rabbit-hole goes
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Regarding Etemon, Vamdemon, and the Dark Ocean -- is it indicated that these bits, at least, are based on "real events"? Or is it entirely the kid's brains making up what-fors?

Basically, is the illusion based enough on truth that we can say that Etemon really did end up in the Dark Ocean after being defeated, which as far as I can tell would definitively place the Dark Ocean as part of the Dark Area? Can we say that Etemon "really" evolves to KingEtemon, and Venom(?)Vamdemon "really" evolved to VenomVamdemon Undead?

For that matter, does anyone have a link to any explanation on why there's a new form of VenomVamdemon, and what makes him different from the original (all I can see is that it's slightly spikier, which may just be the tri. art style, one horn is broken, and it has a miasma)? I probably missed it.

Finally -- this seems to retcon that the kids would have memories of their Digimon's ultimate forms that appear "for real" later, which they don't seem to mention in-show. Could this possibly be a similar situation to hurricane touchdown, where higher evolutions "appeared" but still seemed to be surprises later?

Last edited:

GrungeCat

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
As if Adventure hadn't enough plot holes...
A plot hole is missing foundational material. This stage play is meant to be fun supplementary material, not a necessary component in understanding Adventure as a whole. I don't really see why this would be a plot hole.

As to the play itself, it would be nice to be able to see some of it at some point. Those puppets are just absolutely adorable.

MidoriHime

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I saw the play again (yes, second time!) so I'll clarify. Only Agu Gabu fully evolve on stage. We see the others in their evolved form in clips - that are shown on the side of the stage. These are tri scenes. Angewoman is still Angewoman. However, I'm not sure if these are real, or more meant to make Taichi feel like his friends are fighting for his life (we see Etemon making illusions earlier, so I'm inclined to believe they're illusions to get him fired up) and I don't believe the other kids mention evolving.

Everything else I believe happens. It's just in a distorted bug space, hence why time works differently. It's not an illusion. I don't believe the new Venom form was explained, but I'd chalk it up to Dark Ocean influence.

DBxDigimon_fan

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Yeah, I wouldn't say the play or anything from it is a plot hole. Besides we've gotten a better idea of the play from people who've seen it and it sounds like the misunderstanding of it all stems from the fact we haven't seen it. It seems to me that the people who've seen it have little or no problem with how the play matches up to the series.

Vojuu

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This may be a really silly question but I didn't get to see the play when I was in Japan and want to get the DVD... But are there any English subtitles at all? I saw in the other post it doesn't but if it's conversation based then I doubt I'll really get anything out of it :(

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Well, I finally got around to watching the play, and I enjoyed it pretty well. Anime is awkward to try and translate into live action, but they did the best they could with it. Even MetalGreymon looked a little better in action here than he did in the promotional material. Having actors that looked a little like the characters but often didn't sound like them took a little getting used to, but I can only imagine how awkward it would have been to dub the anime VAs over like they did with the Digimon. On the whole it was fun, especially whenever Etemon showed up. There were a few lines that made me laugh, though at the moment the only one I can remember is Etemon's "just one kiss" right before the intermission.

But perhaps the most interesting thing to me was the worldbuilding as distinct from the character development. As usual with Adventure, I wound up with perhaps more questions than answers. It seems to me that the play can't really fit into the film series' continuity. At the end we find them in the Digital World, and apparently they have reason to believe that Meiko is there too. They know Maicoomon is the source of the distortion, and the Digimon still have their memories. Taken altogether, it seems to be an alternate timeline. A couple times it contradicted things from the novelization (which is of course an alternate timeline itself), with Sora saying that she and Taichi didn't meet Koshiro until the day they went to the Digital World, and Etemon not knowing Tailmon, though as crazy as he is he can probably be forgiven for that. Little slips like that are to be expected.

One thing that was strange to me was that VenomVamdemon Undead had Etemon's voice and personality. Etemon did mention that there other memories than his floating around that refused to die, so maybe he had (somehow?) become the dominant personality in a hive-mind of leftover villain data? That's the best I can figure it. I guess the whole thing (except for the last scene) took place in a distortion like the one from Adventure 02's episode 31, that they were caught up in.

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
There are a handful of places I think it can fit, especially if you take certain things into account. I generally saw 'one' moment as quite possible (getting shunted into it inbetween the end of part 4 and the runaround at the beginning of part 5.)

As for the stuff with Etemon, it's notable that we don't actually know who the villain of the piece is. Etemon doesn't seem to know quite what is going on, and it's questionable if he 'is' Etemon or not to some degree.

And of course, to bring up that it contradicts things from the novel... isn't really relevant (although you kind of bring that up.)

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
There are a handful of places I think it can fit, especially if you take certain things into account. I generally saw 'one' moment as quite possible (getting shunted into it inbetween the end of part 4 and the runaround at the beginning of part 5.)
I don't know, it still doesn't really fit. They never lost track of Meiko in part 5, and in the play the Digimon seem to have all of their memories intact.

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I don't know, it still doesn't really fit. They never lost track of Meiko in part 5, and in the play the Digimon seem to have all of their memories intact.
We didn't see the beginning of that.

We see the 'end' of Part 4, and that Meiko isn't dead, and then it skips to them running. Shoving it inbetween a short timeskip is a nice place to put it.

As for the memories, handwaved as being part of where they are and everyone having a bit of handwaving with their memories going on (they all seem to remember things being peaceful, Jou remembers doing better, etc.), along with them being informed about stuff by the characters in Part 4 (one could even argue that perhaps they simply got their memories back because of being in such a unique space.)

Of course, it isn't really meant to fit anywhere, I'm just suggesting a place where it could potentially fit.

Paruseruru mafubu

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I really enjoyed the play. What I particularly enjoyed was seeing the kids in the flesh. I thought the costumes were spot on and the actors portrayed the characters and their personalities very well. The puppeteers deserve recognition, especially that huge Metal Greymon puppet which I thought looked great. The ending moments with Venom Vamdemon Undead having Etemon's voice and personality was defiantly interesting. When the two Ultimate Digimon, including the Metal Garurumon puppet appears, Metal Greymon's Ultimate evolution animation and the actors sitting on the huge Omegamon bust gave me chills. "Garuru Cannon!" "Grey Sword", hearing Etemon's reaction to the fusion as they broke through the wall.

I would have loved to been there live. One standing ovation after another when the entire cast took a bow.

Jmac28211

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I finally got around to watching the stage play for Odaiba Memorial Day (Little late, I realize that...), and I really enjoyed it! I've been a part of a production all summer, so seeing the cast talk about their experience all summer resonated with me. Like others echoed, I appreciated that it wasn't too action heavy, but I did love the projected effects for Agumon's Baby Flame. The characters seemed pretty spot on, and I loved Etemon's return! His evolution scene to KingEtemon was hilarious, but he should have been the only villain... The quieter moments were the ones that really stood out for me. For example, I loved the scene early on where it fades to black with Tai and Matt quietly sitting by the fire. Joe's actor also got to be way zanier than I thought he would be! The puppets themselves were amazing, and I'm so impressed with how talented the puppeteers were. They really felt like they were getting into the character of their Digimon! You could see them mouthing lines and reacting in tandem to their puppet. Even during the curtain calls, they made sure that the puppets were also taking bows.

It definitely felt like VenomMyotismon Undead was more of a villainous hive mind, almost akin to Apocalymon. Overall, I would have loved to see more from KingEtemon and Counselor!Etemon.

Stray notes:
I was surprised that the cast gave us names for the other members of the Etemon 5. Forest Green, Ocean Blue, Lovely Pink, Volcano Red.
I appreciated the "Call of Dagomon" reference during the camp scene. This pretty much cements that the Dark Ocean is a part of the Dark Area.
Etemon's personality was perfect for someone who had spent a century pining to return to someone. He was desperate for that feeling that he had romanticized for all that time.
They even remembered that Tai might not know about MetalEtemon.