Digimon Adventure tri. Part 5 English Home Video Discussion

Digiforlife

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Prodigious. I didn't think I would enjoy dubbed Digimon this much. All the voices are fantastic (a lot of them are actually better than Japanese original version in my opinion) and dialogues are a lot clearer than original which made easier for me to understand the storyline. I was laughing at the dubbed jokes for once just tells how good it was. Back to voices there are few things I've noticed:

Daigo's voice is a lot more recognizable as TK from 02
Dark Gennai's voice really reminded me of Spencer Damon from Data Savers (well they are all voiced by the same person)
Maki's voice really matched her madness

Dialogue wise:
More exposition from Hackmon
Meiko's dad seems to know a lot more than original counterpart
I really like and find even bit funny regarding Homeostasis speaking to Digidestined through Kari. It was pretty much a quick cold phone hang up XD

I'm now really looking forward to the release of part 6

wildwing64

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The only thing I didn't care for was Tai's weird line of dialogue near the end (and I think this may be that one line people were talking about before?), basically: "Let's stop fighting Meicoomon and let Jesmon kill her instead" and the subsequent "You idiot! Stop fighting!"

Not only does that completely change the context of the original scene, but Jesmon's kinda, sorta, preoccupied with being locked in combat with Alphamon in the background. What exactly were the writers going for here?

Digiforlife

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The only thing I didn't care for was Tai's weird line of dialogue near the end (and I think this may be that one line people were talking about before?), basically: "Let's stop fighting Meicoomon and let Jesmon kill her instead" and the subsequent "You idiot! Stop fighting!"

Not only does that completely change the context of the original scene, but Jesmon's kinda, sorta, preoccupied with being locked in combat with Alphamon in the background. What exactly were the writers going for here?
I think the dub writers were also confused. To be honest that scene was very confusing. To this day I still haven't figured out who (in sub version) said "Your idiots" and why

Hoy-Small-Fry

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'm glad I'm not the only one confused by this scene... One minute Tai is entirely about letting Jesmon kill Meicoomon, and then all of a sudden he's talking about protecting friends? Honestly, I've watched it twice and I still can't fathom it out... (Long time forum lurker, signed up solely for help with understanding what's going on here!)

Some other voice notes that I found frustrating and I'd be interested to hear others thoughts;

- Koromon. What. The. Heck. What's up with his voice? I couldn't understand what he was saying at the end and it robbed the scene of its weight

- Did Nyaromon get a new voice? She sounds nothing like she did in Loss? She had a very girly voice, and it turned into a voice approaching original Koromon. Just me?

Otherwise all great, just a few nitpicks with the dub I guess, doesn't help I'm watching Adventure at the moment!

Last edited:

McGann

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
A big part of that scene was Tai basically saying Meicoomon was their friend, so it was their responsibility to put her out of her misery. So changing it to, "let's bow out so that Jesmon can do it" did seem like a weird change, slightly to the story's detriment.
Though given how things have to turn out in Part 6, I guess there's no long term damage.

Hoy-Small-Fry

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
A big part of t ooohhat scene was Tai basically saying Meicoomon was their friend, so it was their responsibility to put her out of her misery. So changing it to, "let's bow out so that Jesmon can do it" did seem like a weird change, slightly to the story's detriment.
I only watch the dubs so I'm unsure what the original intention of the scene is... My understanding from the dub is that Tai agrees with Meiko, and wants to tell Omnimon to stop fighting so Jesmon can kill her.

Then Omnimon slams Raguelmon into the ground randomly and Alphamon knocks Jesmon's beam away? Honestly I really am having a hard time lining the end up, especially as Kari then just goes all glowy for no reason...

Some context from the original would be great!

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I think the dub writers were also confused. To be honest that scene was very confusing. To this day I still haven't figured out who (in sub version) said "Your idiots" and why
It was Raguelmon. Besides the voice, you can tell because of the audio effect.

Then Omnimon slams Raguelmon into the ground randomly and Alphamon knocks Jesmon's beam away? Honestly I really am having a hard time lining the end up, especially as Kari then just goes all glowy for no reason...
In the original the Chosen Children are conflicted about what to do, and Omegamon's actions reflect that. He's Taichi and Yamato's joint partner, and while Taichi agrees with Meiko that Raguelmon should be destroyed, Yamato disagrees. So it seems to me like Omegamon is keeping her out of harm's way until some kind of consensus is reached on whether they should kill her or not. Plus, from the dialogue in the original, it sounds like Taichi wants to take responsibility for putting Maicoomon out of her misery, as opposed to Jesmon doing it. The dub dialogue sounds really weird (go figure).

Hoy-Small-Fry

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
In the original the Chosen Children are conflicted about what to do, and Omegamon's actions reflect that. He's Taichi and Yamato's joint partner, and while Taichi agrees with Meiko that Raguelmon should be destroyed, Yamato disagrees. So it seems to me like Omegamon is keeping her out of harm's way until some kind of consensus is reached on whether they should kill her or not. Plus, from the dialogue in the original, it sounds like Taichi wants to take responsibility for putting Maicoomon out of her misery, as opposed to Jesmon doing it. The dub dialogue sounds really weird (go figure).
Ok so is Omnimon actually trying to kill Raguelmon when he slams her to the ground? And he tries to save her from Jesmon's blast because a consensus hasn't been reached? Sorry if I sound stupid but this scene just makes no sense to me, but it sounds like a dub issue... (first one I've had problems with for the entire run, it's such a shame that it's at such a crucial moment)

And then once Tai is gone, Matt gets really angry about Tai "doing what he chose to do"... Again, what was the context here?

Last edited:

McGann

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Ok so is Omnimon actually trying to kill Raguelmon when he slams her to the ground? And he tries to save her from Jesmon's blast because a consensus hasn't been reached? Sorry if I sound stupid but this scene just makes no sense to me, but it sounds like a dub issue... (first one I've had problems with for the entire run, it's such a shame that it's at such a crucial moment)

And then once Tai is gone, Matt gets really angry about Tai "doing what he chose to do"... Again, what was the context here?
I think it's more that he's just holding her off / trying to subdue her, in both the Dub and the Original, while also trying to protect her from Jesmon. I don't think in either versions he has outright decided to kill her, both because there is lack of consensus, and no one's told him to yet.

Tai told Omnimon to go save Matt and Meiko instead of him. I think that's why Matt was mad at him, or rather, upset that he sacrificed himself to protect them.

Last edited:

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I think it's more that he's just holding her off / trying to subdue her, in both the Dub and the Original, while also trying to protect her from Jesmon.
Yeah, judging from the animation, it doesn't look like Omegamon is trying to hurt Raguelmon at that moment. He seems to leave her lying on the ground rather than slamming her into it like he did earlier in the battle.

Hoy-Small-Fry

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
So I watched this again last night and I still can't get past Nyaromon's voice being totally different from Loss. I'm not the only one to spot this right??

Like, it's totally different... Souns more akin to original series Koromon (why that's not used is another matter) rather than the little Salmon voiced used in Loss.

Is there a reason for it? As in, does the Japanese voice track also switch up the voice for Nyaromon? Or is this a massive production error? Very interested to hear what people think, for me it robbed the scene of any dramatic weight as I was working out who was speaking

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
A bit of hyperbole there.

They did change her voice (as for why they changed it 'shrugs'), but neither does she talk enough in either one for it to be that noticeable, nor is it hard to identify who is speaking in Coexistence.

Even if it was a mistake, it's hard to say it's a massive one. It's less noticeable than any number of voice swaps/changes the franchise has done before, including elsewhere in tri.

Hoy-Small-Fry

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Maybe a little :p
But this sort of thing really bugs me... It's not like this show has a cast of thousands to manage. If they just randomly changed an actor in a TV show you'd be mad, so why should anime get held to a lesser standard? I can somewhat forgive changes between 01 and this (Koromon less so, it's not even close) but inter-episodes seems like lazy production...

Minor rant aside, good to know it's just a production fluff rather than anything plot related!

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
If they just randomly changed an actor in a TV show you'd be mad, so why should anime get held to a lesser standard? I can somewhat forgive changes between 01 and this (Koromon less so, it's not even close) but inter-episodes seems like lazy production...
Nyaromon isn't the only character that has had a voice swap in the middle of tri.

And no, wouldn't really be mad, it happens plenty in film and television.

Many I could name, but I'll go with an easy one.

In the live action Batman series Mr. Freeze was played by three different actors. Wasn't really that bothersome.

Kitsunes97

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'm glad I'm not the only one confused by this scene... One minute Tai is entirely about letting Jesmon kill Meicoomon, and then all of a sudden he's talking about protecting friends? Honestly, I've watched it twice and I still can't fathom it out... (Long time forum lurker, signed up solely for help with understanding what's going on here!)Some other voice notes that I found frustrating and I'd be interested to hear others thoughts;- Koromon. What. The. Heck. What's up with his voice? I couldn't understand what he was saying at the end and it robbed the scene of its weight- Did Nyaromon get a new voice? She sounds nothing like she did in Loss? She had a very girly voice, and it turned into a voice approaching original Koromon. Just me?Otherwise all great, just a few nitpicks with the dub I guess, doesn't help I'm watching Adventure at the moment!
Koromon is voiced by Doug Erholtz and it is still Kate Higgins voices Nyaromon.

Kai32

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
i need to put my to cents on part. one kate higgins improved in my eye as gatomon and to me finally adding the cat manorism her gatomon was missing was great. now Tara still going on and of one minute sound like original next droping the complete speech to think lara jill miller had or used on kairi. joshua seth i think struggled from talk with mei at school yard onwards with tai. but all the other great work.