Digimon Adventure tri. Dub in Theaters, Jeff Nimoy is Tentomon, More Cast Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tetra Seleno

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
As far as cast goes, while I hate to say that I know anything with any real certainty (because I don't), I feel pretty confident that Kirk Thornton is the only guaranteed lock to return, outside of Jeff Nimoy. I think it's really likely for him to reprise Gabumon since the dude remains pretty active in voice over work. But... yeah, so hard to know really, a lot of the voice cast from the Adventure seasons have moved on from voice acting.

I think the biggest question I have about a dub of tri. is how many conventions from the original late 90s / early aughts dubs will enter it.

• Will the characterization changes that were made to Jyou, Mimi, and Koushiro remain in play? As TMS noted earlier, the fact that tri. is running really hard with Koushiro as a computer supergenius plays into the dub's hand nicely.
  • Will we see more casual danger dialogue than in the original script?
  • Will we see more glorious puns and wordplay?

I suspect that some of those conventions will be in play, if only for nostalgia's sake. But who knows, really? Anything can happen.

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Major Update in the news post.

American theatrical release of the dub.

Zennistrad

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Hmm, worried about the "major cities" caveat. I'm going to be in West Virginia in September and October, which has only two major cities in total, and neither are very important in the grand scheme of movie releases.

Fingers crossed for a DVD release.

Vande

Roll Roll, Critical, Critical
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Hmm, worried about the "major cities" caveat. I'm going to be in West Virginia in September and October, which has only two major cities in total, and neither are very important in the grand scheme of movie releases.

At least you're not in the UK right now...we get squat again at present.

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

Fingers crossed for a DVD release.

I would expect the Fathom release to be the 'main' one and the one the month after will be a more limited release in cities that can handle a few extra days.

Digitalguy

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Cool stuff. English dub and theater. Possible new cast for the kids will be interesting.
Thanks for the update, MarcFBR!

B-mon

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I really hope Mary Elizabeth McGlynn is directing.

Bartz

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'm happy to hear that Jeff Nimoy is returning for the role of Tentomon as I enjoyed how he played the character. I will admit that I'm a bit disappointed that most of the kids' VAs won't return, but I'm not surprised since that follows how the Japanese version did their casting, so I'm just curious who will return for their roles among them.

As far as cast goes, while I hate to say that I know anything with any real certainty (because I don't), I feel pretty confident that Kirk Thornton is the only guaranteed lock to return, outside of Jeff Nimoy. I think it's really likely for him to reprise Gabumon since the dude remains pretty active in voice over work. But... yeah, so hard to know really, a lot of the voice cast from the Adventure seasons have moved on from voice acting.

Along with Kirk Thornton, I think Gomamon's VA R. Martin Klein is also a strong possibility to return considering he came back for the role in All Star Rumble and was involved with some minor characters in Digimon Fusion. Dorothy Elias-Fahn (Palmon) is also a good possibility since she has been active, though she hasn't worked on Digimon as of late like the other two.

The other Digimon I'm not sure of either, Gatomon, Biyomon, and Patamon have been recasted before, so any of those three could have their roles taken over by other voice actors.

Edit: It's also very nice to see that it's getting a theatrical release as I thought they'd just go the TV movie role, though I'm a bit worried that they'll skip my town since its status of being "major" seems to depend on the movie/distributors. I hope that it'll make its way here, but if not, I'll figure something out.

Last edited:

kkanbara

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
That's so cool!!!
I don't really care much for English dubs (but it's a good thing that the market is opening up!) but the theatrical releases are going to be awesome.

I really hope they show up in Canada too but who knows that might just be wishful thinking

Digimonuniverse

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
So does that mean that toei and eleven arts are dubbing tri. Series

CoDL

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Hoping one of those 300 cities will be near me haha. I'm very excited about this. I was a little disappointed when I read that most of the humans were recast (I really wanted Joshua Seth to come back) but after seeing the way it was handled in Japan it doesn't worry me. Either way great news for us

Tetra Seleno

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Legitimately surprised that the films are getting a theatrical release here in the States. Wow.

I'm not surprised by the use of the North American dub names and terminology in the press release, so until proven otherwise I think it's fair to assume that the Reunion dub will follow a couple of familiar dub conventions and characterizations...

Bartz said:
I think Gomamon's VA R. Martin Klein is also a strong possibility to return considering he came back for the role in All Star Rumble and was involved with some minor characters in Digimon Fusion. Dorothy Elias-Fahn (Palmon) is also a good possibility since she has been active, though she hasn't worked on Digimon as of late like the other two.

Good catch. Elias-Fahn has indeed remained active so that feels like a relatively safe assumption to make, too. I forgot about Klein entirely.

Last edited:

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Legitimately surprised that the films are getting a theatrical release here in the States. Wow.

I'm not surprised by the use of the North American dub names and terminology in the press release, so until proven otherwise I think it's fair to assume that the Reunion dub will follow a couple of familiar dub conventions and characterizations...

I'm not sure I agree to be honest.

I'm still putting my thoughts together, but I'm already mapping out in my head what seems likely and unlikely based on this.

DragonHunter1

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I personally am not excited for this news. I grew up with the Finnish dub of Digimon that didn't cover up the English dub of the show, but rather the original Japanese version of the show. Butter-Fly is dubbed over, the lines are kept relatively the same, the tone is not changed, there are no jokes added so that it can be marketed for the kids more. So when i watched Adventure, 02, Tamers and Frontier in English 10 years ago, i couldn't help but feel bad for what i had done. I always have hated the English dub. So they will most likely do the same thing for tri for what they have done for all the seasons as well as the movies: Market it for the kids, tone it down, change the music and the songs

Crazy_Tai

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
So I wonder how long it will be until it comes to the UK...

jamesC

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
do we know which company is dubbing Digimon Tri? :confused:

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Many of the questioned asked have varying degrees of answers in the news post.

Small update added to the news post. They made a mistake in their original press release, it will be ONE night via Fathom.

Another news post update... we know the dub director's name is... Ryan (we don't know who yet, but Ryan Johnston seems likely.)

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Updated news post with additional information about the screening.

Status
Not open for further replies.