Digimon Adventure tri. Dub in Theaters, Jeff Nimoy is Tentomon, More Cast Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

SB-129

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'm super excited because I live in New York therefore grew up with the local dubs, got to know the dub names, dub attacks so on and so forth. I watch the original subbed versions as well but I feel it's simply easier to hear in English. Also rather surprised that a dub has been worked on so quickly; you'd think the combined would at least wait until the entire six movies was out before such a thing. It's a pleasant surprise nonetheless.

Sabrblade

Seized the time
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The main difference is in intelligence. Dub Mimi is too stupid to know what a compass is, while the original Mimi likes reading science fiction novels.

He didn't say intelligence.

Mimi was clever when the plot required her to be. Otherwise she stood around. Or went batshit crazy as a princess.

Her personality wasn't really that wildly different.
You don't consider a character's intelligence to be an aspect of their personality? And it wasn't just the change in her intelligence. She was also made much more whiny, self-absorbed, and obsessed with appearances/fashion/shopping/etc. in the dub. Original Mimi wasn't nearly as annoying as Dub Mimi.

breaker335

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The main difference is in intelligence. Dub Mimi is too stupid to know what a compass is, while the original Mimi likes reading science fiction novels.

He didn't say intelligence.

Mimi was clever when the plot required her to be. Otherwise she stood around. Or went batshit crazy as a princess.

Her personality wasn't really that wildly different.
You don't consider a character's intelligence to be an aspect of their personality? And it wasn't just the change in her intelligence. She was also made much more whiny, self-absorbed, and obsessed with appearances/fashion/shopping/etc. in the dub. Original Mimi wasn't nearly as annoying as Dub Mimi.
Isn't her being self-absorbed an entire plot point in Tri?

ShindoW

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I don't see why so many expect Saban to continue to butcher Tri like any other kids show / older season. I think they would respect that it's aimed at older fans. I'm fully expecting a limited DVD set of some sort... but maybe I'm just hopeful. I have no idea how Saban handles "older audience" shows.

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I don't see why so many expect Saban to continue to butcher Tri like any other kids show / older season. I think they would respect that it's aimed at older fans. I'm fully expecting a limited DVD set of some sort... but maybe I'm just hopeful. I have no idea how Saban handles "older audience" shows.

Well, there are a few things here...

First... Saban Brands has done a handful of 'not kids' things through one of their subsidiaries and thus far the largest 'change' they've made that I can find... They retitled the movie Spooks: The Greater Good (a continuation of the British TV show Spooks) to MI-5 (the television series was called MI-5 when it came out here years ago.)

Then there is the case of, thus far we don't know who is doing the dub, and in what fashion.

Is it Toei, is it Saban, is it both of them together? Has a 'normal' anime company licensed it? Does whoever has it believe it could be reversioned into a kids show? Do they plan on having licensing for it outside of the show itself?

Various people on Twitter keep saying who 'must' have it based on nothing but guesses, but thus far we know very little about the dub (Nimoy is Tentomon, he isn't involved past acting.)

At the moment we know nothing minus one cast member.

ShindoW

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Yeah, Marc, you caught me before I could edit my post (WtW wasnt loading for a bit) but yeah I totally realize we have no idea who is really... er... localizing? Publishing? ...it? XD I don't know the correct term, really.

Kinda worried to hear Saban possibly butchering other stuff (I'm only familiar with MMPR and Digimon, among some of the other shows airing on Fox Kids when I was a kid so).

We can just hope for the best ^^;

Velocifaptor

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Also rather surprised that a dub has been worked on so quickly; you'd think the combined would at least wait until the entire six movies was out before such a thing. It's a pleasant surprise nonetheless.
Not really a new thing, since the dub of Pocket Monsters XY&Z starting airing before the original ended (for all I know, it's still ongoing). Also, having Jeff Nimoy back has me super pumped even though I prefer the original Tentomon with his Kansai dialect and all. I too hope against hope that they don't butcher tri. like they did other seasons. Also, unpopular opinion, but I thing Jason Spisak will be able to give a more mature tone to Tai's voice than Joshua Seth.

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Also rather surprised that a dub has been worked on so quickly; you'd think the combined would at least wait until the entire six movies was out before such a thing. It's a pleasant surprise nonetheless.
Not really a new thing, since the dub of Pocket Monsters XY&Z starting airing before the original ended (for all I know, it's still ongoing). Also, having Jeff Nimoy back has me super pumped even though I prefer the original Tentomon with his Kansai dialect and all. I too hope against hope that they don't butcher tri. like they did other seasons. Also, unpopular opinion, but I thing Jason Spisak will be able to give a more mature tone to Tai's voice than Joshua Seth.

My view is, it'd be nice to have as much of the original cast as possible...

but.....

It's hard to be really strict nostalgiawise on this when the Japanese cast swapped out all 8 kids and the recastings came out universally positive (once part 1 came out any complaints completely vanished.)

I'd still like to see the original cast... but, I'm inclined to wait and see what happens.

With tri. getting it's dub done quickly it means it joins most premium animations at getting a dub extremely early.

Super☆Girl

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
i wanted to cry when i saw this, i'm so happy it's finally happening ;w; like everyone else here i hope they're able to bring back the rest of the cast for it, and maybe even remix some of the older songs.

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
2 days ago on Twitter when someone asked her about it, Lara Jill Miller said she had no info about being involved in any new Digimon dub, but that if and when they dubbed it she was sure her and the rest of the cast would love to be involved.

Take that as you will.

Hagaren Gao

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I can't post directly due to how these particular Tumblr replies work, but Jeff made a reply from what I assume is his main blog, cookingcaveman:

i1e9fr.png

He doesn't know specifics so that could mean anything, but worth posting. As far as I know, Matt and Joe's VAs aren't active anymore but still kind of deflating.

Thinking about it though, i wonder how they will handle the evolved Digimon's voices, as they most of them were done by different VAs than the Rookies, but their only dialogue has basically been their own names.

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I can't post directly due to how these particular Tumblr replies work, but Jeff made a reply from what I assume is his main blog, cookingcaveman:

He doesn't know specifics so that could mean anything, but worth posting. As far as I know, Matt and Joe's VAs aren't active anymore but still kind of deflating.

Thinking about it though, i wonder how they will handle the evolved Digimon's voices, as they most of them were done by different VAs than the Rookies, but their only dialogue has basically been their own names.

Off the top of my head...

Joe's VA isn't active anymore, Matt's VA is a writer/producer who actually uses an image of Matt as his Twitter avatar.

I'm gonna crop some of that image and host it on our server.

Thanks for letting us know about this Hagaren.

Edit- Updated the news and the topic name.

akamon25

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
i'm looking forward to the dub of digimon tri, although, i wonder who will be voicing meikoomon. well, whoever it will be, he/she will still be just as cute :)

also, i do wonder how many episodes there will be, don't you?

Last edited:

Crazy_Tai

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I really hope that Joshua Seth comes back to voice Tai. He said in the past he would.

Shadious

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I do not much watch of the dub, but this is a welcome news for American Digimon fans. I think dub of Tri would hopefully even more re-energize the interest on the franchise especially with Digimon Universe set to debut in Japan as well.

Last edited:

Spongebond

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The Voice of Tai in the English dub is so iconic to me. So I hope they don't recadt him

Kataphrut

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
You know, as much as I loved Joshua Seth as Tai back in the day, I think the fact that he hasn't been active as a VA for over a decade now means he's unlikely to be cast again. It was cool when he did that "Did You Know Anime" segment on Digimon and said at the end he'd be interested in coming back, but all I could think watching that was how croaky his voice sounded. And yeah I get there's a difference between normal speaking voice and performance voice (I thought the same about Brian Beacock when he did the interview on Podigious and that dude's still going strong) but I think for the lead role, whoever's managing the dub is probably more likely to go for someone with a bit more recent experience.

I hope I'm wrong, just wouldn't get too excited.

Status
Not open for further replies.