Digimon Adventure: Title Change and/or Sequel Mentioned in October Gacha Pre-Orders

Ultimamon

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
As unlikely as it is to happen. I wouldn't say no to something based on Survive. Even if it takes another decade for it to actually be released.

Really, anything that doesn't involve milking Adventure nostalgia further would be refreshing at this point. Specially if it means I don't have to face another year of Taichi being the centre of the universe. That kid is virtually haunting my dreams now.

JR9386

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This is rather surprising as https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digimon_Adventure_(2020_TV_series)#Public_response says Toei mentioned the series had not been very successful in gaining new generations of children.

Toei seem to attribute this situation to the state of emergency.

So, the sequel may try to attract new audience in some way.

Maybe, but I'm not sure that the monster craze is as big as it was when I was a kid.

I see A2020 as geared towards those with nostalgia for the original series. If they wanted to reboot Adventure, they could have gone with a radically different cast and combined the best elements from the two incarnations within that universe. Maybe even make it a prequel with Maki's group.

But given that we already knew where the show was going etc., I'm not sure that it was just the pandemic.

Frontier, IMO, was an attempt at really shaking things up, with a less bloated cast, but didn't perform as well. Personally, I blame this on lack of cohesive direction, and the fact that the core target audience aged out of the franchise.
It's a weird excuse anyways - TV consumption went up during the pandemic, so it shouldn't effect anything but maybe merch sales. The ratings and response from viewers would logically remain unchanged.

Right.

I follow *some* Digimon related news due to nostalgia purposes, but not out of some deep seated sense of fanaticism as I would have in my youth.

Children's programming has changed a lot, and I don't think monster franchises are as novel anymore. They've been done to death. Even Pokemon is suffering to some degree. Pokemon's saving grace is its basic formula for new regions including new monsters and the desire to collect a specimen from each. Digimon doesn't incentivize that sort of collecting.

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This is rather surprising as https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digimon_Adventure_(2020_TV_series)#Public_response says Toei mentioned the series had not been very successful in gaining new generations of children.
The Response section of the Wikipedia article is useless.

It uses various "Well this is technically correct" loopholes with editors using it to add what they want, with it being accurate enough that there is little likelihood in having it removed.

Which is fine, but having it on a wiki doesn't make it true. So being on a wiki because it's technically correct means little when the reality is different. (For example, the article rambles about the ratings a bit as if they are negative. It also ignores that those ratings means it's quite high among all anime series currently airing.)

It's effectively no different than having someone who has no knowledge of how any of it works yelling about it. Either you believe someone who knows nothing, nor how to even look at data in a basic way, or you pay attention to how the franchise looks to be doing overall and realize it's junk.

Mattman324

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
True, but if they ever elected to reboot 02, and they happened to include Ken's crest within the story, it would make for some awkward storytelling. They can't fall back on it not being conceived of at the time of the reboot, if they did potentially intend to reboot 02. Leaving it open like, "But these are just some of many crests which have survived, with some having been lost to time, or awaiting to be awakened.", or something to that effect.

Sure, but even the 01 Crests are barely known about in Adventure:, the Digital World's best scholars know the goddamn symbols and that they're important but not what they actually represent or mean. There's ample room for them to go "so hey we discovered these three/six/many more of these, wonder what they do".

In actual Adventure, there were people who knew all about them and they still ignored Kindness, Miracles, and Destiny.

Tetsuya Suoh

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
True, but if they ever elected to reboot 02, and they happened to include Ken's crest within the story, it would make for some awkward storytelling. They can't fall back on it not being conceived of at the time of the reboot, if they did potentially intend to reboot 02. Leaving it open like, "But these are just some of many crests which have survived, with some having been lost to time, or awaiting to be awakened.", or something to that effect.

Sure, but even the 01 Crests are barely known about in Adventure:, the Digital World's best scholars know the goddamn symbols and that they're important but not what they actually represent or mean. There's ample room for them to go "so hey we discovered these three/six/many more of these, wonder what they do".

In actual Adventure, there were people who knew all about them and they still ignored Kindness, Miracles, and Destiny.
Well, at least as far as Miracles and Destiny are concerned, what many fans don't seem to realize is, there are no such Crests, only the Digi-Eggs/Digimentals. Additionally, the Crest of Kindess came into existence separately from the others. Unlike them, it wasn't made by Gennai and the others it just kind of spontaneously emerged.

Muur

How deep the rabbit-hole goes
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

It uses various "Well this is technically correct" loopholes with editors using it to add what they want, with it being accurate enough that there is little likelihood in having it removed.

Which is fine, but having it on a wiki doesn't make it true. So being on a wiki because it's technically correct means little when the reality is different. (For example, the article rambles about the ratings a bit as if they are negative. It also ignores that those ratings means it's quite high among all anime series currently airing.)

It's effectively no different than having someone who has no knowledge of how any of it works yelling about it. Either you believe someone who knows nothing, nor how to even look at data in a basic way, or you pay attention to how the franchise looks to be doing overall and realize it's junk.

You should've seen it a few weeks ago lmao. It was about 6 times longer and had hundreds of sources from random people (like one was a random on twitter) and had stuff like "the show was criticised for using champions when they had ultimates unlocked" and other dumb shit like that. Some guy that edits that page has a massive hate boner and what's there is what survived. A good 90% was killed due to being random guys instead of relevant people and that stuff was listed for months. Any postives were deleted by the same guy.

Anyway the guy you replied to was on about Toei saying they failed to get kids to watch rather than "everyone hating the show".

JR9386

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

Well, at least as far as Miracles and Destiny are concerned, what many fans don't seem to realize is, there are no such Crests, only the Digi-Eggs/Digimentals. Additionally, the Crest of Kindess came into existence separately from the others. Unlike them, it wasn't made by Gennai and the others it just kind of spontaneously emerged.

I don't count Miracles and Destiny as crests proper. I see them as exceptionally powerful Digieggs, which in retrospect would have worked quite nicely as a combination of all the known Digieggs into one ala Omnimon Merciful Mode.

Isn't that just the retroactive explanation given since the crest was conceived of in 02, and wasn't originally conceived of when the original series was on air?

That doesn't work for the reboot.

That sounds like sloppy writing. Honestly, as much as I like Ken, I think they should have just nixed his crest and the associated digiegg. It serves absolutely no purpose within the main story. He never activates the crests and Bucchiemon doesn't appear within the main continuity. Why bother featuring it? Might as well given him access to the Digiegg of Darkness.

Tetsuya Suoh

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

I don't count Miracles and Destiny as crests proper. I see them as exceptionally powerful Digieggs, which in retrospect would have worked quite nicely as a combination of all the known Digieggs into one ala Omnimon Merciful Mode.

Isn't that just the retroactive explanation given since the crest was conceived of in 02, and wasn't originally conceived of when the original series was on air?

That sounds like sloppy writing. Honestly, as much as I like Ken, I think they should have just nixed his crest and the associated digiegg. It serves absolutely no purpose within the main story. He never activates the crests and Bucchiemon doesn't appear within the main continuity. Why bother featuring it? Might as well given him access to the Digiegg of Darkness.
In order for it to be a retroactive explanation, it would have to actually be an explanation, but they never went into to origin of the Crest of Kindness to begin with.
As for a potential 02 reboot, they could just leave out the Crest of Kindness entirely. IDK why they even made it in the first place. It's only ever used to find Wormmons egg, then shut down the base, he never used it to evolve Wormmon, it served no real purpose. and 02 reboot could even leave out the digi-eggs entirely, as brancehd evolution has already been established in the rebootverse to be possible without them.

As for the light up cosplay accessories, if its not hinting at an 02 reboot, I wonder whey there are only 6, and the crests would seem to be the most likely candidates, and there are 8 of them, why leave 2 out?

JR9386

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

In order for it to be a retroactive explanation, it would have to actually be an explanation, but they never went into to origin of the Crest of Kindness to begin with.
As for a potential 02 reboot, they could just leave out the Crest of Kindness entirely. IDK why they even made it in the first place. It's only ever used to find Wormmons egg, then shut down the base, he never used it to evolve Wormmon, it served no real purpose. and 02 reboot could even leave out the digi-eggs entirely, as brancehd evolution has already been established in the rebootverse to be possible without them.

As for the light up cosplay accessories, if its not hinting at an 02 reboot, I wonder whey there are only 6, and the crests would seem to be the most likely candidates, and there are 8 of them, why leave 2 out?

I concur regarding the Crest of Kindness. That plot, while extremely interesting, was dropped and never explored. Kind of a gripe of mine, and I agree, the need for physical digieggs seems to have been made obsolete with the reboot, which makes the chances of 02 being rebooted slim. Perhaps they'll go an alternate route with it, and focus on Jogress alone, though that seems boring given the pacing of A2020.

We technically have the remaining Holy Digimon: Cherubimon, ClavisAngemon, SlashAngemon, Rasielmon, and Valdurmon.

Perhaps the last one is Omnimon?

I joked at the prospect that the new ending was pairing off the Megas for fusion evolution.

HerculesKabuterimon and Rosemon could work, but I'm still trying to wrap my head around the possibility of Phoenixmon and Vikemon fusing.

e105zeta

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

You yourself reported the part about 2020 struggling to find a new audience:

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

You yourself reported the part about 2020 struggling to find a new audience:

Which says nothing about saying it as data, and saying it in an attempt to create a fictional dogpile and narrative about the show. They combine two different articles to make a narrative line for example.

And you also ignored that I pointed out Toei didn't actually say if they 'got' the audience they wanted in the end, just that it struggled to attempt to do so. Elsewhere in the report they are reasonably clear when things didn't hit what they want.