Digimon Adventure: Returns from Hiatus on June 7th with Episode 1

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

An early blank listing from Fuji TV suggested it early in the day, but we have confirmation the hiatus is ending!

Digimon Adventure: will be back next week in the normal timeslot (June 7th at 9am in Japan), which has been home to repeats of the most recent Kitaro series. Both Digimon Web and the Adventure: Twitter posted the news. The Adventure: Twitter is counting down with character artwork.

The show had been on hiatus due to production delays caused by the Coronavirus pandemic.

The show will restart from episode 1. While it hasn't been formally announced at the time of this post, based on that the plan appears to be rerun what did air, and then just continue on to the new episodes.

Episode discussion for prior episodes can be found in this section of the forum.

If you want a quick catchup, a short compilation of episodes 1 thru 3 can be found here.

Attachments

Last edited:

Muur

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I figured they'd be back soon with Japan's state of emergency being lifted though I didn't think they'd start from episode one again. It makes sense to do so I suppose for any new people starting to watch.

Gabriulio

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Part of me is sad that despite the fact that it's coming back we'll have to wait three weeks for a new episode, but at least we now have a confirmed date, which is way better than nothing.

Hagaren Gao

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Very slight bummer that we're still waiting, but the show stopped so early in it's run that it's honestly the right call. Really looking forward to it, I think I'll rewatch the first three eps week to week as well.

SparkGold

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
my happiness and dissapointment are both very strong. It's very good to have a date to look forward to though and I understand why they're doing it this way

AppliFang

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Glad its back (+ 3 weeks for old episodes)

I guess itll be airing as new/next season animes are airing

DigiPokeMon

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Episode 4 should air on June 28th

Digiforlife

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
looks like they are anxious to get digimon fans' hype back as soon as possible lol

icomeanon6

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
YES! Fantastic news! June 28th can't get here quickly enough!

Also, for anyone who's disappointed that it's not going to be episode 4 on June 7th, we don't know whether that was an option. The choice might have been between doing it this way and airing episode 4 on June 28th without re-airing 1-3 first. Obviously the reruns don't matter much to us outside of Japan, so let's just think of the news as being, "New Digimon episodes projected to resume June 28th," which I think we'd all be happy with if that's all the news said.

Gabriulio

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
In any way, the reboot is lucky enough to be able to re-air its first episodes before resuming. There are other series that were forced to stop that aren't so lucky (like fellow Toei production Precure, which aired a whole 12 episodes before its still-ongoing hiatus).

Kon

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
In any way, the reboot is lucky enough to be able to re-air its first episodes before resuming. There are other series that were forced to stop that aren't so lucky (like fellow Toei production Precure, which aired a whole 12 episodes before its still-ongoing hiatus).
In fact, the current Precure has re-aired the episodes since the hiatus (it is currently in the episode 7). Although we don't know if the new episodes will appear after the the rerun of old episodes is compete or before.

Piers

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
In any way, the reboot is lucky enough to be able to re-air its first episodes before resuming.
I don't see the point to re-running old episodes besides back-end logistics of TV time slots. Streaming makes missing story beats until VHS a thing of the past.

Azure Beast

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
YES!!! i cant wait for june 28th!!!

Nightwing

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I know people usually see the media or the IP, but not the people involved, so I want to at least remind people that production stopped. That is huge. Several weeks of no work being done because people were staying home to avoid a killer virus.

Keep in mind, people, that this is the anime industry, which is incredibly demanding (Toei seems to be prioritizing better production schedules, so I’m assuming no one working on Digimon is working in an abusive environment) as it is. Staff don’t just draw one picture, voice one line, edit one shot, etc. in a day. By the end of the week, they need to have an entire episode finished.

So take all that into consideration, and now think about the virus. They get 3 weeks to restart production and get back to their regular output. Hopefully, it’ll be enough.

In any way, the reboot is lucky enough to be able to re-air its first episodes before resuming.
I don't see the point to re-running old episodes besides back-end logistics of TV time slots. Streaming makes missing story beats until VHS a thing of the past.
Kids don’t own streaming services. Maybe their parents do and some of these kids can use them, but this is also ignoring the conditioning a schedule gives to kids. “Tune in at this time to continue watching this Digimon Adventure”, and also gives more kids another chance to join in from the start. Not to underestimate streaming services of course, as Toei is using many for a reason too.

Gabriulio

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Keep in mind, people, that this is the anime industry, which is incredibly demanding (Toei seems to be prioritizing better production schedules, so I’m assuming no one working on Digimon is working in an abusive environment) as it is. Staff don’t just draw one picture, voice one line, edit one shot, etc. in a day. By the end of the week, they need to have an entire episode finished.
One week is NOT time enough to make one episode, at least not one that looks good. The first season of Sailor Moon Crystal had they make the episodes in two-week schedules right before airing and it was a total dumpster fire animation-wise. The absolute lack of budget also helped, but the animators were totally overworked. The only animated series that can pull this kind of thing off is South Park, and that's because their simplistic animations is a choice on their part.

Kon

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I know people usually see the media or the IP, but not the people involved, so I want to at least remind people that production stopped. That is huge. Several weeks of no work being done because people were staying home to avoid a killer virus.

So take all that into consideration, and now think about the virus. They get 3 weeks to restart production and get back to their regular output. Hopefully, it’ll be enough.

Kids don’t own streaming services. Maybe their parents do and some of these kids can use them, but this is also ignoring the conditioning a schedule gives to kids. “Tune in at this time to continue watching this Digimon Adventure”, and also gives more kids another chance to join in from the start. Not to underestimate streaming services of course, as Toei is using many for a reason too.
It's pretty likely Toei has more episodes of Adventure 2020 complete, but they chose to go into hiatus earlier because they were going to need these episodes for this stage (when they had to adapt to the new rules in the work).

As you say, Toei is likely restarting Adventure 2020 from episode 1 due to a kid audience. There have been more weeks on hiatus than episodes, so it makes sense that they want to start from the beginning.

Last edited:

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It's nice that it's coming back but hopefully things are safe. 3 weeks isn't that bad. It's been how long since they stopped.

Golden_Fate

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Of course it's disappointing we can't start right away, but it's likely we would have had to wait three weeks anyway it'll be nice to rebuild momentum.

Nightwing

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
One week is NOT time enough to make one episode, at least not one that looks good. The first season of Sailor Moon Crystal had they make the episodes in two-week schedules right before airing and it was a total dumpster fire animation-wise. The absolute lack of budget also helped, but the animators were totally overworked. The only animated series that can pull this kind of thing off is South Park, and that's because their simplistic animations is a choice on their part.
Year-long anime series have absolutely crushing production schedules, which is the problem. Adventure: looking as good as it does is completely unexpected for that reason, but that's also why it's unsustainable (you can see the "dip" in the second half of Episode 3 and the preview for 4). Animators are overworked constantly, which is one of the biggest problems in the anime industry.

Anyways, Toei has come a long way from a few years ago. Just take a look at their shows now, from Adventure:'s strong start, to One Piece's glo up, to the upcoming Dragon Quest show looking as good as it does, etc. Toei clearly cares about producing higher quality productions, and a huge part of that is improving production schedules. However, that's not the same as having great schedules, so even if several episodes have been produced by now, they still need to be producing about an episode per week to go for a whole year.

It's pretty likely Toei has more episodes of Adventure 2020 complete, but they chose to go into hiatus earlier because they were going to need these episodes for this stage (when they had to adapt to the new rules in the work).

As you say, Toei is likely restarting Adventure 2020 from episode 1 due to a kid audience. There have been more weeks on hiatus than episodes, so it makes sense that they want to start from the beginning.
Definitely agreed on that. I mean we've seen footage from at least Episode 4, but my assumption is some of the "flashback" type scenes (presumably) are from Episode 5 based on the Episode titles we got months ago. Episode 3 also makes sense as a stopping point, so it's likely that they wanted to stop there specifically, so it might not indicate how many episodes they have in the bank (maybe as much as two or three?).

Last edited: