Digimon Adventure: Reimagining

HarleyThomas

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Exactly what it says on the tin, a reimagining of Digimon Adventure.

The idea came about some many years ago on 4chan's /a/, moved to plus4chan which doesn't suck and jumps back and forth from being dead and dying as time goes by.

Closest thing that came about was a fic that was pulled over a year ago (I think the author died) and one that was recently erased from everywhere but fanfiction.net.

Anywho, I and I'm sure others would really like to get SOMETHING off the ground and hopefully keep it up, so if anyone is interested here's the current thread.

Unless the thing really is cursed.

Faust

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'm kinda doing this with my RP, but with liberties taken rather than being completely faithful. I'm not really sure I see the point in what the other guys are doing though. If you're just rewriting it with the same characters and protagonists, it's hardly a reimagining. I guess I think of it in terms of stuff like the two FMA and Hellsing anime series. Where the first couple eps of each were kind of redundant and rehashed just doing the same things again to get through them.

HarleyThomas

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The reimagining is more about 02 than Adventure as 02 was a right mess.

The Adventure aspect is more about fleshing out the cast so they're more than just Token Character X and reworking the villains a bit. The current idea as far as I know feature Etemon being more like Etemonkey from V-Tamers, forshadowing and fleshing out the Dark Masters and replacing Apocalymon with the Seven Great Demons Lord whom the Dark Masters were heralds of and Devimon being related to them.

At least that's what the plan was according to the thread that took place prior to the one in the OP.

lastlivingkid

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The reimagining is more about 02 than Adventure as 02 was a right mess.

The Adventure aspect is more about fleshing out the cast so they're more than just Token Character X and reworking the villains a bit. The current idea as far as I know feature Etemon being more like Etemonkey from V-Tamers, forshadowing and fleshing out the Dark Masters and replacing Apocalymon with the Seven Great Demons Lord whom the Dark Masters were heralds of and Devimon being related to them.

At least that's what the plan was according to the thread that took place prior to the one in the OP.
Well, as far as Adventure goes, the japanese novelization is being translated and it pretty much does exactly what you guys want to do. The characters' backgrounds and motivations are explored further, as well as the plot making more sense.

You're totally right about 02, though. That should really be the main focus. I'm currently working on a piece of my own, but if/when I finish it I would love to take a stab at "fixing" 02.

Noctus Noir

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I was tempted to remake 02 as well especially after listening to CactusCasual's reviews and suggestions on it. Though I need to rewatch it first since it has been what 14 years? Wow I feel old....anyone want to collab?

HarleyThomas

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
There still might be people interested where I linked to.

Last post was "Wow, why didn't I find out about this sooner?" and overall brought nothing to the table.

Dianne Renard

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
IMHO, this kind of project is doomed to failure if NOBODY is throwing ideas to keep people interested. I checked that link and it was pretty:

*separate shows in arcs
*offer three possible approaches.
*???
*Nothing gets done

At best, they mentioned other projects and then talked about miscellanous things.

Anyways, if anyone wants to do it, I shall throw random ideas I had in mind. Bare bones stuff to take into consideration if somebody's willing to do the whole project thing.

Adventure:

*For starters, keep the chosen children separated for more time because they reunited almost immediately. It doesn't even need to be a looong time as in the case of the file island shattering or the post-etemon arc, just small mini stories of how the kids stumbled upon their partners, if they did anything relevant while looking for the others, and then eventually make the point of view kid encounter another kid and so until they are neatly reunited. Maybe add a small reference to Kuwagamon while they wandered around the island, as the buzzing of his wings isn't something easy to ignore. And then its up to whoever does this thing how they deal with the kuwagamon issue, maybe an actual battle rather than spamming their attacks in unison?

*Maybe capture one of those black gears and keep it beyond the devimon arc? Koushiro at this point in the show is definetively, completely unable to analyze it, but keeping one in hand could eventually become a plot point further in the story when his laptop is upgraded courtesy of Gennai and tie their existence with .. I don't know, the dark masters? Or maybe the black rings of 02, they could easily be tied to them.

*A story arc about the fall of the digital world at hands of the Dark Masters and how they appeared in first place. It would be almost entirely fan-made material, so I don't know if it is a good idea, it would be mostly about what the digimon the chosen children meet previously did during that tragic time.

And that's all I could think about on the fly. IMHO, adventure doesn't need that many changes and surely the novels does a better job than we could do.

02:

Way too many things to change. Time to machinegun shoot a few things I've read many times about things that could be changed.

*This is THE hardest thing to deal with: Justify why nobody remembers digimon despite the incident with Vamdemon years ago. Something to think about rather than an actual idea
*No random use of the crests (which no longer existed anyways) to restore the digital world.
*The new trio doesn't actually encounter Takeru or Hikari until later, believing they are the only ones who know about digimon in school.
*While Daisuke is the googlehead, Takeru and Hikari are the actual leader-like figures once they join the team.
*The Digimon Kaiser wasn't as successful as in the show and did much less while it is implied somebody else is assisting him.
*Due a few years passed since Adventure, Patamon and all the other digimon naturally evolved to adult level. Neither he nor Tailmon gets digimentals, or if they do ... let's say that they have circumstantial uses, kinda like how submarimon is sparingly used and only when explicitly needed due obvious reasons. Not like it matters, because in this scenario, Takeru and Hikari they join late enough that they aren't overwhelming against the enemy and the black obelisks evolves evolution anyways.
*Said Black obelisks prevents evolution not due the Digimon Kaiser's power but due leaking some of the dark ocean's influence into the digital world.
*Armors are good as starter forms and even after obtaining adult evolution, they are still used due battle tactics and utility.

And those are pretty much random ideas to fix at least the digimon kaiser arc. Being random, some might be incompatible with other ideas mentioned in the same list, but that's why they are ideas randomly thrown XD

HarleyThomas

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The previous thread on the subject I linked to in my second post features a lot more in the way of brainstorming as opposed to the recent thread which features a lot of "What are we doing? Is anyone still interested?"

I'll admit I ain't keen on the previous gens partners reaching Champion. One aspect for the 02 reimagining was that the previous gen acts as sort of a group of mentors for the new generation, Taichi and Agumon attempting to solo the Kaiser managing to only disable some of his forces just through strategic thinking (mind over matter is supposed to be a big thing in this).

Kinda hard to do when it sounds like they're being Put On A Bus.

KaenKazui

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The basic idea of this thread goes basicly in the same direction, as this thread, I opened up month ago, did, right?

I am thinking of going into a rewrite project right now, as I have written an episode guide to a rewritten Adventure for my weblog and I was asked whether I would write it as a fanfiction. Though that would be a group project, I would think, as I certainly would not have the time to write it on my own.

HarleyThomas

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I have no idea. I either did not know of that thread or I posted in it and forgot about it. Likely the latter. There probably are similarities.

If you do decide to do a full rewrite, hopefully you have better luck finding people to help as opposed to the project I'm whoring out.

Noctus Noir

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
CC had a couple suggestions regarding 02:

That the DigiEggs (please don't hate me for using the dub terms-I'm just used to them) of Hope and Light would be used by Ken as opposed to TK and Kairi as CC thought it would make for an interesting redemption arc. On my personal thought, I was kinda miffed the crest of Kindness was never really utilized

Two: Blackwargreymon tried to do good but ended up causing more destruction so he resolves that he is just a tool for destruction.

Three: no Daemon. I mean really, why was he there?

Four: Cody should be Ken's DNA partner since Cody was least willing to forgive Ken.

My own personal ideas:
Degomon not Myotismon was the one behind Ken's dark molding. He wanted to use Ken as a herald/tool to spread the powers of the Dark Ocean from the Digital World and real world. Thus the control spires were meant to weaken these barriers.

Extend the time wormmon was gone. Ken got wormon back too quickly imo. So maybe Ken is trying to do good on his own. TK tells him Digimon don't really die, but Ken questions why didn't wormmon. In his head wormon doesn't want to come back.

Again offering my assistance as collaborator.

Dianne Renard

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
IMHO, Demon makes more sense to be there than black wargreymon. I mean, one was a bad digimon with ties to the previously seen dark ocean, and the other was just an artificial mon that for some reason had human-like intellect and personality unlike the previous artificial mons. Both are equally ... kinda appearing out of nowhere, but at least Demon makes slightly more sense.

BK Wargreymon as just a mindless engine of destruction sounds like a fun idea, thought.

Noctus Noir

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Hmm good point there Dianne. I'm more saying Daemon's appearance was rather left field. Like why he want the Dark Spore/Millenniumon's data anyway? Heh I haven't done fan fics in a long time...

Dianne Renard

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
And that's where it lies the beauty of rewrites. There are things soo poorly used or outright underused that can easily be expanded towards almost any direction.

Demon in particular is a literal treasure trove of potential. A DEMON LORD, and one of the most prominent and powerful to boot ... only appears for like 1-2 episodes and is defeated by a cheap plot device. There just so many things that could've been done with him, yet he was no more than part of a filler story arc and ultimately achieved nothing but somehow giving imperialdramon a mode change because somehow skullsatamon could critically damage impy's data. Yes, Demon's greatest influence in 02 wasn't even his own achievement

HarleyThomas

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
For the project I'm whoring, DNA Digivolution is done away with altogether. It was kind of an awful concept and overal meant a whole lotnlf nothing in the original series unless the characters in question were Daisuke & Ken.

And Shakkoumon was stupid. Looks like it could have all kinds of gunports and shit on it only for it to throw out a mine that just prevented an opponent from going in one spot.

Digivolution lines being changed entirely. Armadimon would go from Ankylomon to Brachiomon to Cannondramon. Vmon going the UlForceVeedramon route. Hawkmon going from Aquilamon to Silphymon to Valkyiremon and Wormmon having Dinobeemon for an Ultimate and either GranKuwagamon to GrandisKuwagamon as a Mega. I don't remember which.

Not entirely sure what the plan was for the Digimentals. In a previous thread, they were to be used against Kimeramon in a manner that overloaded them and up and blew them up.

With the Demon Lords as the villains for the Adventure segment, Demon would be the Big Bad for the 02 segment (a cult dedicated to reviving it) and Demon Super Ultimate would be the final boss.

I believe BlackWarGreymon was still set to appear. Arukenimon and Mummymon were still going to be villains, just handled differently. A lot of 02 wasn't fully discussed as most people wanted to get Adventure out of the way first as it comes first and is the easiest to do.

And Dagomon and the Dark Ocean in general would have a Hell of a lot bigger purpose.

Dianne Renard

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Jogress was a case of good ideas, TERRIBLE execution, kinda like what happened with Demon. Its major problem was that its sole existence completely hinged in perfect level being IMPOSSIBLE to achieve through normal means due 02 being 02m and its second major flaw was that the process through which it was obtained AKA the two pairs of man/mon involved having to achieve a strong understand and bond, which was poorly handled and was more like, spend one episode together, instant jogress.

Anyways, it could be easily handled in a better way. One obvious one would be making perfect level jogress exclusive of the four 02 newcomers as they lack a proper perfect level, and then get those two new perfect levels further jogress each other for a super strong ultimate. It would be no different from Imperialdramon being the solution to everything, but at least all the 02 kids would be involved rather than just Daisuke and Ken, who even got a plain normal evolution for no reason other than being the leader characters.

As for the digimentals of your version, IMHO, using them as catalysts for an improved jogress system would be a better way to give them an honorable send off to them than just overloading and we also get spared from the horrible "Tailmon's ring enable jogress" plot device. And maybe its just me, but I think that having jogress as the key to Chimeramon's defeat is slightly more acceptable than randomly summoning a literal deux ex machine that creates a miracle and then is never seen again, at all.

HarleyThomas

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
First I want to say this isn't my project. I and nobody else for that matter knows who started it. I'm just trying to revitalize some interest in it.

Anywho....

As for the Digimentals (Digi-Armor) in the rewrite they can be swapped around for better strategy. in the final battle against Kimeramon they are broken (by over using the power so all Digimon could use them at once, and doing that until all the Digimentals were gone. then the one of Miracles was broken the same way) This is why they have to swap to normal evolution to continue the fight. not something stupid like "Oh well I guess we can now"

This pretty much sums up how the Digimentals were to be handled (although it was written four years ago, so it may not have a lot of bearing now). I quite like the swapping Digimentals around idea.

In a now dead and gone project that spun off from this, swapping Digimentals was used to great effect. It showcased some of the more obscure (for lack of a better term) Armor forms and emphasized the mind over matter approach that was generally agreed on to be the way to go.

That post isn't exactly clear on what the whole everyone using a Digimental all at once means (everyone uses the Digimental.of X at the same time?) resulting in them breaking, but it does give a nice reason for why Normal Digivolution is possible.

In ANOTHER project that spun off from this one (it's still present on the web though) after the Kaiser Arc, the Digimentals ended up changing to a Tag and corresponding Crest which is also kind of neat.

Dianne Renard

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Fair enough.

Now, for the usual dose of criticism again 02, digimental were yet another good idea with poor execution. Just like jogress, they suffer of unusual and ridiculous circumstances enabling their use in first place, this case being the existence of very convenient evolution nullifiers that somehow could stop adult and perfect evolution but not armor evolution, that little thing known as Dark Towers. That is something that has to deal with for it is very silly how for something that blocks evolution, it fails to stop armor evolution despite it works exactly like digivice evolution AKA borrowing energy from an external source. There's also the odd fact that Dark Towers can prevent evolution in first place, something never exactly explained how it works unless we accept that somehow soaking a dgivice in evil water makes it able to null evolution and broadcast that power worldwide so long there's a Dark Tower in the area.

Anyways, the problem with fixing 02 is determining how much you want to fix it. Certain elements that kinda doesn't make much sense or are left unexplained really need to be retooled, yet they are usually kept intact because sometimes the fixing is selective and only in favor of things they liked enough to want to keep it, and against things they didn't like and are therefore omited.

tl, dr, armor evolution is only genuinely legitized on its use in the case of the starter trio for lacking the aptitude to induce adult evolution by themselves, and both Patamon and Tailmon needed denied evolution in one and a really pointless nerfing in the other to justify those war veterans having to use the newest digimon gimmick of that era. And speaking about them, it is ridiculous how Patamon and the others didn't naturally evolve to adult level. Tailmon could do it in a fraction of the time despite being born simultaneously along the others, so why the other seven chosen digimon couldn't in the span of the years between Adventure and 02?

Noctus Noir

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Heh heh amusing what I come back to. Personally I'd like to see Stingmon digivolve into Jewelbeemon as opposed to Dinobeemon. I dunno. maybe because I like the design better. There was one other thing that I could never quite understand....okay a couple things. Anyone got what was up with Ken having a crest and others not? It was never explained and had like two inconsequential uses...okay that is debatable but it could have been done better.
And the whole Dark Spore thing. DR does make a good point about a cult attempting to revive Daemon. Mayhaps they intended to use Ken's spore like the battery source that Myotismon intended. No wait, no that would be silly-they could have used it long ago before the whole Digimon emperor thing.
Okay slight nitpick but I'm just a dorf...sudden reveal of Sam's existence was like a little sudden. Could have hinted it...or maybe I missed it in the sub version I dunno. I haven't seen all the subbed eps...

Dianne Renard

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I think Jewelbeemon is meant to be Stingmon's true perfect form as Dinobeemon is just a horrible jogress done wrong. You see, Paildramon is just XVmon wearing the lifeless corpse of Stingmon as a jacket, gloves and kneepads while Dinobeemon looks like somebody frankensteined both components the same way Chimeramon was a frankenstein mon. Both are terrible executions of jogress, but paildramon looks a bit better.

And giving stingmon a perfect form would finally do justice to him. I mean, Paildramon was already bad enough just using stingmon as clothes, but the moment it evolves, the stingmon side of the jogress pretty much disappears and its all about the Vmon side taking over. Hell, Imperialdramon outright denies Stingmon's existence by having Dragon mode but not insect mode, and it is still pretty much a vmon line digimon in fighter mode and paladin mode even removes the vaguely stingmon-ish black colors in the armor.