Digimon Adventure Ranks High In Preliminary Listings for NHK 100 Best Anime Poll

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
NHK has been running a poll for the 100 Best Anime to celebrate the medium's 100th year.

The polls (Japanese users only) aren't closed until March 31st, but NHK has put up preliminary rankings based on the current votes.

Digimon Adventure is 23rd in the overall rankings and 12th in the female only rankings.

The preliminary rankings only include the top 50, so it's currently unknown if Digimon is doing well enough to be listed anywhere else for the time being.

Thanks to Livedoor for the news, ANN for some extra info, and garm for some translated details.

Kon

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
When it is said female ranking, you mean female audience, right?

Digimon Adventure always has an important amount of female audience.

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This is nice. I saw Tiger and Bunny was #1. That's "interesting". But I'm very glad this is true. It might mean good things for the franchise.

Rexanimon

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Unless I missed something I'm really surprised to see Digimon on those lists and not shows like Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, Yu Yu Hakusho, Zatch Bell, even Sailor Moon and Pokémon were only on there once.

Theigno

Supper Mοderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This ranking is interesting and also a bit confusing. If it's about celebrating anime in its entirety you'd think people would keep a more historical perspective in mind, yet the list is dominated by either new anime produced during the last decade, or older franchises that received a surge through new material coming out more recently (of course there are also some classics in neither camp).
Seeing Joker Game up there in 8th place had to be a major standout. I'm a bit happy that a non stereotypical anime gets that kind of recognition, Joker Game was a quite interesting psychological spy thriller and period drama that actually approached the work of intelligence agencies thoughtfully without glorifying the spy lifestyle. But the eighth best anime in all history... I'm not actually convinced. Sure, there are more and more anime coming out every year but according to this list either almost no one has seen any pre-80s anime or they all totally sucked. I wouldn't really know but honestly I would be more interested in seeing what "the best" in terms of milestones throughout all 100 years were and not just a random list of stuff that just happens to be hot right now. It seems shallow to highlight the historical 100 year aspect of all this when most of said history seems to have been forgotten pretty much completely. Maybe a public poll just isn't the right tool for that. It's like someone trying to compile a list of the "Best books ever" with the only source being the New York times bestseller lists of the last few years.
And I wonder just how many votes Tiger & Bunny must have gotten from the female ratings in order to claim first place despite not even being in the top 50 of the male ratings. Adventure is kind of in the same boat but first place is something else.

I took a look at the search feature and see how extensive the Digimon options are... as expected you can vote for all the seasons (minus appmon... it probably hasn't been running for long enough) as well as most of the movies... you can even vote for the 3D theme park ride short "Digimon Adventure 3D: Digimon Grand Prix!". Now that's a worthy contender for first place, it would be nice to make that happen.
Strangely enough even though Savers and the first 7 Digimon Movies are all listed (though tehy seemed to have forgotten the name of the name of the first 02 movie, it's simply listed as "Digimon Adventure 02" in the "theatrical film" category) the Savers Movie is missing. So is the Savers 3D theme park ride "Digimon Savers 3D: Digital World Kiki Ippatsu!". How did that happen even though "Digimon Grand Prix" got in? It's possible they just wanted to take those two monumental achievements of anime history out of the competition so that all the other lesser works would stand a chance.

Anyway, I guess it's good to know that Adventure is "better" than the likes of Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, Cowboy Bebop, One Piece, Ghost in the Shell: Standalone Complex, Fate/Zero, and TTGL.

When it is said female ranking, you mean female audience, right?
I wouldn't know how an abstract concept such as ratings could have a gender otherwise.

DATS24

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
but, still, there's Love Live kind of thing, uggghhh... Well, it's Japan with their idol otaku-ness