Digimon Adventure: Poster, Details, & V-Jump Images, Update- Translated!

samster

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
On the “DIGIMON ROAD TO ULTIMATE” banner....on the top left corner...

That’s BLITZGREYMON’s sprite there.

Not particularly excited about this reboot thing but that might be an interesting bit..!

Last edited:

wildwing64

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Well, this put a smile on my face.

For as much as I loved tri. and its artsyle, in a way it's refreshing to see the classic character designs return again - albeit, with some tweaks. Everyone's updated outfits look great and I'm amused that Jo's is virtually identical to his '99 counterpart. The butterfly on Sora's t-shirt, and the TK logo on Takeru's hat are nice details. Looks like Koushirou has swapped his laptop for some kind of tablet, befitting of the modern era this is supposedly set in. The fact that Patamon and Tailmon are missing is interesting and I wonder if that has any implications in terms of the story itself. Is the glowy thing above Hikari's hands a butterfly, or one of Angewomon's feathers?

At first glance the Digivice reminded me a little of the Tamers model, but it's basically a redesigned Adventure '99 Digivice without the buttons or antenna. I wonder how that'll end up working in terms of the inevitable toy version. Speaking of the Digivice; on closer inspection, the symbol above it on the logo is reminding me of the Xros Heart emblem in that it's modelled after a very specific Digimon. Guess which one :p

Not much else to comment on as we still don't know much about the show, but with the classic Adventure timeline becoming more and more restricted by the epilogue it probably made the most sense to start fresh with a new story in an AU. Tri. (and by extention, Kizuna) gave us somewhat darker and more mature stories with an appropriately aged-up cast and a character driven narrative geared towards its older audience, and of course I'm thankful for that. Tri. gave me the sequel I always wanted after my frustrations with 02, and Kizuna looks like it's going to be a nice way to give everyone in the original universe a proper sendoff. But this going full-on throwback and starting fresh with new versions of the old gang is also making me happy and I can't wait to feel like I'm 11 again.

...oh, and there's another card game which probably won't exist outside Japan. Eh. (The artwork is nice, though)

e105zeta

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This doesn’t look as different as I was hoping, not feeling it at all

Pimsan

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
But it is strange, isn't it? This series shouldn't be a reboot since we got the information that it should be a show that comes after adventure and before 02.

Deep Saver

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I have to admit, I like the art style. A lot of shows have been going for looser, easier to animate styles lately, which in my opinion often makes them look way too samey. This look is classic and striking, make no mistake.

I still don’t know what to make of the show proper. I have to agree that I think something like this would have gone over a lot better before Tri and Kizuna happened, or if this was announced a few years after Kizuna came out. I think it is interesting this show seems definitely aimed as kids since I don’t think most Adventure fans would have kids yet even if they were interested, or at least kids the age that could watch this show. I’m just really tired, I don’t want sequels or reboots anymore, not even of other shows like Tamers. I want something original.

Kon

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
But it is strange, isn't it? This series shouldn't be a reboot since we got the information that it should be a show that comes after adventure and before 02.
It was never said that this new series comes after Adventure.

I think people misinterpreted this part on the previous thread: "It features Taichi, Agumon, and the others solving problems in the real world caused by Digimon, and apparently they have new Digivices and are in 5th grade (the same grade most of the characters were in the original anime)".

Some people assumed that "solving problems in the real world" implied a continuation of Adventure. However, this information never mentioned this series comes after Adventure.

The new Adventure anime could treat this issue about "solving problems in the real wotld" even if Taichi (and others) only meet Agumon in the first episode.

Last edited:

Vande

I am Justice
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Removed the dumb post from the person who didn't read the post properly.

wildwing64

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
On the “DIGIMON ROAD TO ULTIMATE” banner....on the top left corner...

That’s BLITZGREYMON’s sprite there.
That banner, complete with BlitzGreymon sprite, has appeared in several V-Jump issues already. Nothing new there.

Seer

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I’m just really tired, I don’t want sequels or reboots anymore, not even of other shows like Tamers. I want something original.
Play Survivor. This is a show aimed at kids who don't know much about the original show. Obviously, the last two shows were not a smashing success, so they aren't going to try something original just for the sake of it.

Haralampos

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I wanted a reboot of the series for a long time. But for some reason it feels strange watching the same characters probably in alternate universe. Still excited and can't wait the show to start!

Sparrow Hawk

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I like that Adventure's digivice symbol but it really resembles of Xros' Shoutmon symbol flag loosely when I first saw it.

AliceKaninchenbau

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Okay I did my best to translate the Story Blurb, there's a few spots were I couldn't figure out the kanji because the text is so damn tiny but this translation should be passable

"The year is 2020.
Networks have become essential to life within the world of humans. But the humans aren't aware...
That beyond the Network lies an infinite world; The Digital World and the Digimon that live within it...
Huge issues have made their way into the Networks in heart of the metropolitan area. Everything from the traffic lights to electric signs are in utter chaos.
The news claim it's cyber terrorism.

Our main character is the 5th grader living in a large apparment building on the outskirts of Tokyo called Yagami Taichi.
He was home alone to prepare for the summer camp that weekend when his mother and sister Hikari had become stuck inside a train cart in Shibuya.
To save his mother and sister, Taichi rushed to Shibuya, however... When he arrived at the train station...
Weird phenomena sent him to the Digital World!
Meeting their partner Digimon, the children have to face a yet unknown adventure!"

Last edited:

Bartz

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Kind of mixed on this. I don't mind the idea of a reboot since you can have some unique spins on its story, but after Tri and Kizuma I'm kind of burnt out on Adventure. I never was nostalgic for it as many others were and I always preferred to see fully new worlds and universes then old ones redone, so this one being yet another Adventure visit is pretty underwhelming to me. I'll still watch it as it's Digimon, but I'm very skeptical of it.

The new evolutions for the original eight is interesting to me though. While I don't expect them to deviate too much with the Greymon and Garurumon lines, the others are more flexible in what you can do since you can play around with lines like Gomamon's and Biyomon's as their Megas never made it into Digimon's most influential media until Tri and Tri is not nostalgic yet. You could easily give Gomamon something like a Mosasaur if you wanted, and hopefully they do play around with some ideas instead of just giving us Vikemon 2.0 or something.

Digimonuniverse

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Man so it a reboot, a fresh start, what about wizardmon and gatomon , elecmon, orgemon, jedi, leomon, the highen view Terrance battle gone

Theigno

Supper Mοderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I see this announcement as a mixed bag and the bag has been mixed in five different ways at least.
Adventure has been pretty milked dry conceptually, and following from that premise I suggest that the success of the reboot could roughly be measured by how broadly it is willing to alter and re-imagine its source. If they think people need to see Taichi and Agumon on posters in order for them to care, then sure why not, but at least give them something actually different to do in a different context.

Which honestly isn't my main worry right now, since, let's get through the good impresssions first, the whole point about chunks the series generally taking place in the real world (and the cityscape in the poster seems to confirm that) at least shows that they are not too concerned about deviating from the original plot wise. (No qualms about ripping off frontier though.)
It is secondarily nice because the whole "trapped in another world" premise has recently completely exploded in the from of Isekai, and there seems to be no escape from it. With the anime market so saturated the last thing we need would be another one of it. This of course would be a consumer side argumentation whereas companies are usually not worried about sameness as long as it could potentially bring them in money, which makes the choice even more interesting. It's one of the most popular genres, and even though Digimon could be easily associated with it they are deciding not to jump on this particular gravy train for their next big TV series and hey maybe that means something. Maybe the have enough faith in what they are doing that they don't need that boost, could there be a spark of artistic integrity here or are just not aiming at that demographic? Who knows.
And, going back to the setting, you know what the real world also offers, especially if they are setting the series in modern day? A setting where computer networks are more vital than ever. And provided they put some thought into that there could be some interesting themes here.
As much as can be said for Adventure commercially or in terms of writing I am absolutely claiming that it committed a blunder thematically by diminishing the technological aspect of Digimon for much of its story, turning it more towards fantasy; and with many of the following entries in the franchise aping aspects of Adventure I feel the franchise was prevented from having as strong of an identity as it could have had. There are hundreds of animes, franchises, stories, you name it that deal with generic fantasy monster worlds, even merging multiple cultural sources together isn't really uncommon. But Digimon has the technological edge, the concept of the monsters being an unintended evolution of people's interaction with the network and it's either not getting used or people talk like they want to try and end up utilizing it with annoying shallowness (looking at you cyber sleuth).
Anyway, if it's an Adventure series that ends up pulling Digimon back towards being more honest to god science fiction then I'll take that, even if it's 20 years too late. (Or they could step in the same trap they did with appmon where they kind of attempted to bring up relevant themes but had to dumb it down so much for the sake of their demographic that very little about it actually ended up being relevant).

If we're looking at more real world action I'm interested/worried in how they'll handle the whole "Digimon showing up in public" stuff. Tamers hid its Digimon in fog, Savers gave its protagonists memory erasers, but Adventure doesn't really have an equivalent of that, after a few episodes of silly disguises we're usually at a point where the Digimon threat is so obvious that no one's bothering trying to hide anymore. Now I don't think we'll have full scale Digimon invasions for the majority of the plot, and while can take a few episodes of silly disguises as a joke... after that it would erode my suspension of disbelief pretty fast. I'm sure plenty of convenient plot gadgets could be used to solve this, but sometimes I can't help being paranoid about things that haven't been handled super well in the past.

But I guess it's all in the air until we find out more ...Neither of the two people they've announced working at the anime have much in their resumè that screams "super high quality" (Berserk and One Piece could perhaps be counted for Hiroyuki Sakurada but there the brilliance was already inherent in the source material) and the last involvement Atsuhiro Tomioka had with Digimon was being the producer for the cringeworthy trash fire known as Hunters, and more so than it being an Adventure reboot, that is what makes the most worried about this series right now.

Vande

I am Justice
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The translation had already been posted by Alice (who owns the quoted tumblr in question) lol.

KoreeluStromboli

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I like how Takeru has a stylised TK symbol on his hat as a reference to his English Dub name.

Astrothunder

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Obviously, the last two shows were not a smashing success
And yet this reboot has the same producer as Xros Wars. This whole thing makes no sense.

Digifiend

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I like how Takeru has a stylised TK symbol on his hat as a reference to his English Dub name.
Maybe he'll have that nickname in Japanese this time?

I see Sora's t-shirt has a butterfly on it - a reference to the theme song.