Digimon Adventure: Last Evolution Kizuna Discussion Thread

Farkas

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I watched it about half a year ago.
And I was really wondering how Yamato and Taichi would meet Gabumon and Agumon again?
What do you think? How will they bring back their "childhood potential"?

McGann

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
And I was really wondering how Yamato and Taichi would meet Gabumon and Agumon again?
Theory 1: Tai's diplomatic negotiations with the Digital World eventually alter the very way it functions through some DRM loophole, making Digimon full-time even if they can't digivolve.
Theory 2: Once you've chosen a path and carved a life for yourself, you naturally rediscover your inner potential.
Theory 3: Maybe it's having kids that does it. Parents often say their kids let them rediscover the world anew.

AquaKai

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I like your third theory about having kids. Not sure if every one of the main characters had kids in the epilogue, but I find your take... romantic (in lack of a better term).

Farkas

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Theory 1: Tai's diplomatic negotiations with the Digital World eventually alter the very way it functions through some DRM loophole, making Digimon full-time even if they can't digivolve.
Theory 2: Once you've chosen a path and carved a life for yourself, you naturally rediscover your inner potential.
Theory 3: Maybe it's having kids that does it. Parents often say their kids let them rediscover the world anew.
Your first two theories are more sympathetic for me :)
But you don’t think it’s even a question of meeting them again, right? :)

JR9386

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

I find the third the most plausible, but that said... I suspect Izzy may have had a hand in rediscovering the means for restoring the bond after studying Menoa's work, Meicoomon's data (Assuming we're going to acknowledge her existence in this timeline. ), and Maki's research on Tapirmon. Maki technically achieved what Menoa aspired for with Morphomon, so I wonder if when Ordinemon released all that additional data if Tapirmon's memories were restored.

As much as I like Izzy working solo, this seems like something Yolei would undertake WITH Izzy. This last part is random, but I liked how Izzy and Yolei worked together. Ken also has enough experience manipulating Digital Data, so perhaps he'd play a role as well. I generally can't stand Yolei, but found older Yolei cool.

McGann

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The Ending certainly leaned that way with "We will meet again!"
It'd be a weird note to end on if we assumed it was just wishful thinking.

I find the third the most plausible, but that said... I suspect Izzy may have had a hand in rediscovering the means for restoring the bond after studying Menoa's work, Meicoomon's data (Assuming we're going to acknowledge her existence in this timeline. ), and Maki's research on Tapirmon. Maki technically achieved what Menoa aspired for with Morphomon, so I wonder if when Ordinemon released all that additional data if Tapirmon's memories were restored.
I wonder that too. It's up in the air if that backup would include Tapirmon's memories if he had already been permanently deleted.
I like to think it did, and once he regained his memories, he set out to find Maki, eventually rescuing her from the Dark Ocean.
Just a reminder, Meicoomon did show up in Neverland.
If she and Morphomon did factor into it, I do like the idea that something good managed to come from those past tragedies.

JR9386

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The Ending certainly leaned that way with "We will meet again!"
It'd be a weird note to end on if we assumed it was just wishful thinking.

I wonder that too. It's up in the air if that backup would include Tapirmon's memories if he had already been permanently deleted.
I like to think it did, and once he regained his memories, he set out to find Maki, eventually rescuing her from the Dark Ocean.
Just a reminder, Meicoomon did show up in Neverland.
If she and Morphomon did factor into it, I do like the idea that something good managed to come from those past tragedies.

I take a darker approach to Maki's fate. I actually think she dies...

We know that Daigo dies while in the Digital World, which by extension I take to indicate the same fate for Maki. Daigo blames himself for Maki's fate, which I took in an Adam and Eve-esque manner. Maki sought to return to that primordial state of innocence, but did so by making a deal with King Ydradsil. She couldn't reverse by her own machinations what was already done.

bidenpriece

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I have to say my favourite thing about this movie is the final evolution. They are basically told they have "no potential" left and then, with not just the prospect of loss, but the certainty, Tai and Matt achieve a new level and prove the whole concept that they are "out of potential" to be bollocks.

And the best thing is that it is basically the culmination of their character arcs and their perfect "crest" moment. They trade what little time they have left with their partners to save everyone else. To give them the gift they are sacrificing. It's their single most courageous act because it has real stakes, that they are finally mature enough to understand and it's driven by the bonds they made through their journey. TODAYGOLDRATEINHYDERABAD

It's a new level made possible because of my their maturity, which goes against everything they were told. They reach a new level knowing that even in victory, they lose.

They proved the central premise of the film wrong with the final evolution. That's enough for me to believe that their story with their partners isn't over.

Last edited:

JR9386

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I have to say my favourite thing about this movie is the final evolution. They are basically told they have "no potential" left and then, with not just the prospect of loss, but the certainty, Tai and Matt achieve a new level and prove the whole concept that they are "out of potential" to be bollocks.

And the best thing is that it is basically the culmination of their character arcs and their perfect "crest" moment. They trade what little time they have left with their partners to save everyone else. To give them the gift they are sacrificing. It's their single most courageous act because it has real stakes, that they are finally mature enough to understand and it's driven by the bonds they made through their journey.

It's a new level made possible because of my their maturity, which goes against everything they were told. They reach a new level knowing that even in victory, they lose.

They proved the central premise of the film wrong with the final evolution. That's enough for me to believe that their story with their partners isn't over.

Interesting take on the matter. However, when you mean everyone, do you mean everyone with or without a crest? They potentialized the Bond forms through the crests that subsist within them, but this is a unique feature of the Chosen Children, and by extension, whether higher forms of evolution are common for digidestined across the globe is rather sparse, with a few exceptions. Lastly, it still leaves us with the dilemma present with Sora. She didn't potentialize a Bond form. Wouldn't that mean that even amongst the Chosen Children even the crests don't guarantee an ongoing partnership?

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Not saying that it has anything to do with bidenpriece's interpretation of the movie, but we know that an ongoing partnership is certainly possible, given the 02 epilogue, whether or not the Crests have anything to do with it.

JR9386

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Not saying that it has anything to do with bidenpriece's interpretation of the movie, but we know that an ongoing partnership is certainly possible, given the 02 epilogue, whether or not the Crests have anything to do with it.

Right.

This is what makes Kizuna intriguing, in spite of being frustrating at the same time.

If the Bond forms's respective titles (Bond of Courage/Friendship) are mainly marketing terms, but have no relevance in-universe then it leaves it open to interpretation whether the crests are the key to preserving that bond as we see in the 02 epilogue. But if they indeed are in-universe terms, well, that presents a problem. Well, not a problem for the Chosen Children, just everyone else with a partner digimon that doesn't possess a crest, thus making Bond forms (I headcanon that those are their true forms.) impossible and their partnership dissolved forever upon countdown.

One resolution to this, would be the possibility of the Crests not being specific to any one child anymore. That there are multiple digidestined that exemplify those virtues, even if Tai and Co. are the OGs.

Ricardolindo

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

Theory 1 doesn't explain why Stingmon appeared in the epilogue.

JR9386

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

Theory 1 doesn't explain why Stingmon appeared in the epilogue.

I personally think it's point no. 3.

But that obviously presents a dilemma if not all digidestined have children.

But it's also a strange storytelling device to have them discover that loophole, get on the phone to one another (If they're still friends...) and be like "The secret is to have children!". But that's not quite the issue that I have. It's more so the means of discovering that. Tai and by extension Izzy would probably be studying ways to get their partners back. That method wouldn't be one you happen upon by coding or studying data (Well, I guess if they went to the extreme of studying ALL digidestined the world over and what constitutes their bond to their partners upon their first meeting...). Finding out that it's when you have kids that the bond is reinstated would be more of a happy accident. Because it would point to a stunted form of psychological development if Tai acted like a crazed man seeking a means to restore that bond until he happened upon that one...

I honestly don't know that the epilogue works anymore. It obviously does, because both it and Kizuna are canon, but one or both are poorly written when we have to go through such a degree of mental gymnastics to make it work.

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Theory 2, if we go with any of them, seems the simplest and most obvious way, though the first theory works fine if you just ignore the part about evolution.

Eitaroutarouman

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'm not a fan of the whole "maturing causes one to lose their Digimon" plot, but one aspect confuses me: why is it the three Digidestined who have jobs are the only ones we don't see lose their Digimon until the credits? You'd think they'd go first 'cause of that; Joe especially. Is it intentional?

JR9386

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'm not a fan of the whole "maturing causes one to lose their Digimon" plot, but one aspect confuses me: why is it the three Digidestined who have jobs are the only ones we don't see lose their Digimon until the credits? You'd think they'd go first 'cause of that; Joe especially. Is it intentional?
I would have wanted to see Joe and Mimi's fairwells. Izzy's would have been awkward IMO.

Speaking of which, Kari is mature for her age, wouldn't that possibly trigger a break in her relationship with Gatomon?

TK's would have been heartbreaking.

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I think it's a sign that the mechanics behind losing one's partner are a little different from what Menoa claims they are.

JR9386

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I think it's a sign that the mechanics behind losing one's partner are a little different from what Menoa claims they are.
Maybe it's a dub specific issue, but doesn't Gennai implicitly confirm that by offering no clarification on the matter?

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'd have to rewatch the scene (don't have the movie handy), but as long as it's implicit and not explicit (which, from what I remember, I don't believe it was), I don't think it's an issue. Gennai has never been particularly forthcoming.

Ricardolindo

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I would have wanted to see Joe and Mimi's fairwells. Izzy's would have been awkward IMO.

Speaking of which, Kari is mature for her age, wouldn't that possibly trigger a break in her relationship with Gatomon?

TK's would have been heartbreaking.

Ken's farewell would have been even more heartbreaking, IMO.