Digimon Adventure: Last Evolution Kizuna Discussion Thread

SnowWarren

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The movie has appeared in theaters here in Australia so I was lucky enough to see it yesterday and have a few thoughts. I should point out that I haven't seen the Tri movies despite them sitting on my shelf due to the controversy surrounding them, but I was told they weren't necessary to understand this movie. I saw the English dub due to nostalgia.

Story

- Enjoyed Gennai's brief cameo, but I feel like he could've contributed more to the plot, particularly since the antagonist is another DigiDestined so logically he might have had valuable information about her, but sadly, it wasn't to be. Aren't Gennai and his colleagues the ones who send out the digivices? They must have known about her. He also couldn't have clarified what happens to the partners after the bond is lost. He just says they "disappear", but obviously the movie implies they survive in some form. I wondered if that just means they return to the Digital World, but I wish they'd stated exactly what happens. Digimon who die in the real world end up as disembodied ghosts, is that it?

- Also, what did Menoa do to lose her digimon, Morphomon, at fourteen? We're told battling speeds up the separation, but nothing we're shown indicates the two of them did any battling. For that matter, how did Sora lose Biomon faster than Tai and Matt lost Agumon and Gabumon if she's abstained from the battles? Is the time limit different for each Digidestined or is it that Sora grew up quicker and lost Biomon faster as a result? If that's the case then why hasn't Joe lost Gomamon yet?

- Sora really got the shaft in this movie. To not only reduce her down to a cameo, but have her lose Biomon OFFSCREEN didn't show much respect to the character. The other kids didn't fare much better and while they are at least a part of the climax, their digimon are quickly sidelined in favor of Gabumon and Agumon. If you liked their mega forms and hoped to see them in Kizuna, you're out of luck. The epilogue also chooses to focus solely on Matt and Tai. Don't get me wrong, I like Matt and Tai, but this is supposedly the finale to this whole story. All these characters to say goodbye to and they're mostly turned into damsels to be saved. The season 2 kids got more screen time than half the originals. I really think all the kids should have been about to lose their digimon and the movie should have been ALL of them reuniting for one final adventure.

- They point out the kids are minor celebrities, but I wish a little more could've been done with it.

- Both this movie and the reboot continue the trend of seemingly unlocking the new evolutions by not giving up and just fighting harder. I miss the days when evolutions were locked behind special conditions like a crest or needing to discover a new side of themselves. When Gennai asked Tai if he had anymore hidden potential at the beginning, I thought that was going to be how the new evolutions would be unlocked. That maybe they would lose their digimon and unlock that potential in their grief, bringing them back for one last fight. How are these odds any worse than the fight against Diaboromon? A bit more context would have done wonders.

- I didn't hate the season 2 finale as much as others and prefer it to the kids saying goodbye to their Digimon forever as I find a world where humans and Digimon coexist more interesting instead of a forced return to the status quo. I'm grateful that they did hint towards the finale in a few small ways and leave the door open to it still happening in the form of Tai's thesis.

Translation

- "Digital Gate"? Are we not calling them "Digiports" anymore or is this something different?

- The two times his name is mentioned, Tai refers to Gennai as "Master Gennai". I get that they had mouth flaps to spare from the honorific as I'm guessing they called him "Gennai-sama" in the Japanese version, but they never called him that during the show so they could have changed it to something like "Gennai, it's you!" or "Gennai, you're here!"

- Ex-Veemon accidentally calls out his Japanese attack "X-Laser" instead of his English one, "V-Laser".

- It's a little frustrating as Jeff Nimbly, who returned to write the script for Kizuna, was so heavily involved with the first two seasons and Digimon as a whole, so if anyone knows what these things were meant to be called, it was him.

- When Parrotmon appears, Agumon says, "Polly want a cracker?", which was cute. I realise that line is a cliche so it might be by accident, but I like to think of it as a reference to the first Digimon movie where Tai says it.

- There's barely any subtitles in the film as 90% of the onscreen text is already in English. Yolei gets an email from Menoa that's completely in English, but calls her by her Japanese name, Miyako. Later Izzy gets an email that clearly says from "Kari Kamiya". Has anyone who's seen the subtitled version confirm whether this is the case there? Could Toei have sent a different version with all the text translated? But then, Tai's thesis at the end is still in Japanese so I don't know what to think.

- In the climax, where I presume the Japanese version had the characters state the movie's title, "Last Evolution", the dub goes for "Final Digivolution" and I'm left wondering: why wasn't that the English title?

Voice Work

- Nicolas Roye as Matt? He's fine. Didn't blow my mind nor disappoint me. That might be the problem, Nicolas's Matt was inoffensively bland. I'm glad they replaced Vic, but Michael Reisz will always be Matt to me.

- Didn't expect to miss Brian Donovan's Davis as much as I did. Davis gets a large chunk of the season 2 kids speaking lines and while Griffin Burns does a pretty good job, it's missing the charm of the original, especially when paired with Derek Stephan Prince's Ken and Veemon.

- Robbie Daymond is doing both Upamon and Armadillomon, uses the same voice for both, and doesn't even attempt a southern accent. They both sound like how Koromon did in Tri. I think I did hear a slight accent on Ankylomon but he only had one line.

- I wish Wormmon had more than two speaking lines in this movie as he is my favourite of the season 2 voice cast.

Music

- It's entirely the Japanese score. No forced in dub raps this time.

Other Thoughts

- Feel a bit sorry for the girl who was partnered with the Numemon.

- Matt shows some reluctance in going after the enemy since battling will shorten the time with their digimon and Tai has to talk him into it. However, this feels a little out of character to me as, at this point, all the other original Digidestined including T.K have been captured so I can't help, but feel like it should be Matt talking Tai into it, especially with Matt having the crest of friendship.

Overall

I had fun with this movie, but knowing this is the last I'll see of this version of the characters leaves a bitter taste in my mouth due to the story only focusing on two of the eight DigiDestined. I enjoyed the themes of growing up and think Menoa was a good idea for a villain, but feel she could have been expanded on more. It's a good movie, but I can't help but feel there was a great movie trying to get out at times.

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I’m going to post my full comments later, since I’m at work, but regarding the last post:

“Master Gennai” is a weird choice. In the original version the Chosen Children call him Gennai-san, not Gennai-sama. Maybe, given how the Adventure dub changed the pronunciation of Gennai’s name, someone just really likes to play up the Jedi angle?

Digital Gate is the original term for the, uh, digital gate. They must just have forgotten the dub had previously changed it.

Ricardolindo

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
- Also, what did Menoa do to lose her digimon, Morphomon, at fourteen? We're told battling speeds up the separation, but nothing we're shown indicates the two of them did any battling. For that matter, how did Sora lose Biomon faster than Tai and Matt lost Agumon and Gabumon if she's abstained from the battles? Is the time limit different for each Digidestined or is it that Sora grew up quicker and lost Biomon faster as a result? If that's the case then why hasn't Joe lost Gomamon yet?
It's, in fact, pretty well explained why Menoa lost Morphomon at 14. Being a genius, she skipped grades and went directly to university.

Fenrys

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The movie has appeared in theaters here in Australia so I was lucky enough to see it yesterday and have a few thoughts. I should point out that I haven't seen the Tri movies despite them sitting on my shelf due to the controversy surrounding them, but I was told they weren't necessary to understand this movie. I saw the English dub due to nostalgia.

Story

- Enjoyed Gennai's brief cameo, but I feel like he could've contributed more to the plot, particularly since the antagonist is another DigiDestined so logically he might have had valuable information about her, but sadly, it wasn't to be. Aren't Gennai and his colleagues the ones who send out the digivices? They must have known about her. He also couldn't have clarified what happens to the partners after the bond is lost. He just says they "disappear", but obviously the movie implies they survive in some form. I wondered if that just means they return to the Digital World, but I wish they'd stated exactly what happens. Digimon who die in the real world end up as disembodied ghosts, is that it?

- Sora really got the shaft in this movie. To not only reduce her down to a cameo, but have her lose Biomon OFFSCREEN didn't show much respect to the character. The other kids didn't fare much better and while they are at least a part of the climax, their digimon are quickly sidelined in favor of Gabumon and Agumon. If you liked their mega forms and hoped to see them in Kizuna, you're out of luck. The epilogue also chooses to focus solely on Matt and Tai. Don't get me wrong, I like Matt and Tai, but this is supposedly the finale to this whole story. All these characters to say goodbye to and they're mostly turned into damsels to be saved. The season 2 kids got more screen time than half the originals. I really think all the kids should have been about to lose their digimon and the movie should have been ALL of them reuniting for one final adventure.

- They point out the kids are minor celebrities, but I wish a little more could've been done with it.

- Both this movie and the reboot continue the trend of seemingly unlocking the new evolutions by not giving up and just fighting harder. I miss the days when evolutions were locked behind special conditions like a crest or needing to discover a new side of themselves. When Gennai asked Tai if he had anymore hidden potential at the beginning, I thought that was going to be how the new evolutions would be unlocked. That maybe they would lose their digimon and unlock that potential in their grief, bringing them back for one last fight. How are these odds any worse than the fight against Diaboromon? A bit more context would have done wonders.

- I didn't hate the season 2 finale as much as others and prefer it to the kids saying goodbye to their Digimon forever as I find a world where humans and Digimon coexist more interesting instead of a forced return to the status quo. I'm grateful that they did hint towards the finale in a few small ways and leave the door open to it still happening in the form of Tai's thesis.

Translation

- "Digital Gate"? Are we not calling them "Digiports" anymore or is this something different?

- The two times his name is mentioned, Tai refers to Gennai as "Master Gennai". I get that they had mouth flaps to spare from the honorific as I'm guessing they called him "Gennai-sama" in the Japanese version, but they never called him that during the show so they could have changed it to something like "Gennai, it's you!" or "Gennai, you're here!"

- Ex-Veemon accidentally calls out his Japanese attack "X-Laser" instead of his English one, "V-Laser".

- It's a little frustrating as Jeff Nimbly, who returned to write the script for Kizuna, was so heavily involved with the first two seasons and Digimon as a whole, so if anyone knows what these things were meant to be called, it was him.

- When Parrotmon appears, Agumon says, "Polly want a cracker?", which was cute. I realise that line is a cliche so it might be by accident, but I like to think of it as a reference to the first Digimon movie where Tai says it.

- There's barely any subtitles in the film as 90% of the onscreen text is already in English. Yolei gets an email from Menoa that's completely in English, but calls her by her Japanese name, Miyako. Later Izzy gets an email that clearly says from "Kari Kamiya". Has anyone who's seen the subtitled version confirm whether this is the case there? Could Toei have sent a different version with all the text translated? But then, Tai's thesis at the end is still in Japanese so I don't know what to think.

- In the climax, where I presume the Japanese version had the characters state the movie's title, "Last Evolution", the dub goes for "Final Digivolution" and I'm left wondering: why wasn't that the English title?

Voice Work

- Nicolas Roye as Matt? He's fine. Didn't blow my mind nor disappoint me. That might be the problem, Nicolas's Matt was inoffensively bland. I'm glad they replaced Vic, but Michael Reisz will always be Matt to me.

- Didn't expect to miss Brian Donovan's Davis as much as I did. Davis gets a large chunk of the season 2 kids speaking lines and while Griffin Burns does a pretty good job, it's missing the charm of the original, especially when paired with Derek Stephan Prince's Ken and Veemon.

- Robbie Daymond is doing both Upamon and Armadillomon, uses the same voice for both, and doesn't even attempt a southern accent. They both sound like how Koromon did in Tri. I think I did hear a slight accent on Ankylomon but he only had one line.

- I wish Wormmon had more than two speaking lines in this movie as he is my favourite of the season 2 voice cast.

Music

- It's entirely the Japanese score. No forced in dub raps this time.

Other Thoughts

- Feel a bit sorry for the girl who was partnered with the Numemon.

- Matt shows some reluctance in going after the enemy since battling will shorten the time with their digimon and Tai has to talk him into it. However, this feels a little out of character to me as, at this point, all the other original Digidestined including T.K have been captured so I can't help, but feel like it should be Matt talking Tai into it, especially with Matt having the crest of friendship.

Overall

I had fun with this movie, but knowing this is the last I'll see of this version of the characters leaves a bitter taste in my mouth due to the story only focusing on two of the eight DigiDestined. I enjoyed the themes of growing up and think Menoa was a good idea for a villain, but feel she could have been expanded on more. It's a good movie, but I can't help but feel there was a great movie trying to get out at times.
Gennai and co are only ever specifically mentioned as giving the Digivices and Crests to the Season 1 kids. We don't know where Daigo and Himekawa's group got theirs from, nor do we know where the multitude of kids from Season 2 got theirs and same for Meiko and Wallace/Willis. I believe Azulongmon had something to do with the Season 2 Digivices, but could be mistaken.

Menoa and Sora both lost their Digimon without fighting because of how quickly they matured. Their maturation is what limits their potential

Fortunately the Season 2 epilogue is canon, so we know that this isn't the end, it's just the end of them being partners as they were. We know they meet back up, we just don't know the circumstances of how

SnowWarren

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It's, in fact, pretty well explained why Menoa lost Morphomon at 14. Being a genius, she skipped grades and went directly to university.
You're right, sorry I forgot that detail.

Gennai and co are only ever specifically mentioned as giving the Digivices and Crests to the Season 1 kids. We don't know where Daigo and Himekawa's group got theirs from, nor do we know where the multitude of kids from Season 2 got theirs and same for Meiko and Wallace/Willis. I believe Azulongmon had something to do with the Season 2 Digivices, but could be mistaken.

Menoa and Sora both lost their Digimon without fighting because of how quickly they matured. Their maturation is what limits their potential

Fortunately the Season 2 epilogue is canon, so we know that this isn't the end, it's just the end of them being partners as they were. We know they meet back up, we just don't know the circumstances of how
Azulongmon referred to the ones who sent the Digivices as the "harmonious ones" who I just assumed were Gennai and his team but Season 2 was light on explanations so who knows. Was the original Japanese any clearer?

I might be overthinking things, but I saw Sora as a bit of a hypocrite in this movie, unwilling to risk her last moments with Biyomon, thus forcing Matt and Tai to fight harder and run up the clock faster. I understand she lost Biyomon before the final battle and has mostly left this part of her life behind, but as the former carrier of the crest of love, I would've thought she wouldn't leave her friends to handle this major crisis by themselves. I keep thinking, what if the low point, where Tai and Matt are doubting themselves, was caused by Sora losing Biyomon right in front of them? What if, despite that, Sora still tells Menoa to stop and pleads with Matt and Tai to fight through her tears? Or maybe, she doesn't, what then?

This movie made me think of this sombre English cover of Butter-fly.

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The Harmonious Ones were the 02 dub's name for the Four Holy Beasts. It's not really stated in the Japanese version who was distributing Digivices. According to the CD drama Two-and-a-Half Year Break, though, it seems to be implied that Gennai and the other Agents aren't the ones giving them to the international Chosen Children. It's probably still Homeostasis... though I don't know where the Digivices come from, unless Homeostasis no longer needs to rely on the Agents to build them.

Anyway, my verdict on this movie is that it was a lot of fun (except for all the dub names and grammatical issues in the subtitles provided). I wasn't too bothered by the weird mechanics behind the loss of the partners. My own impression was that Taichi and Yamato got the rings on their Digivices before some of the others because they evolved to Omegamon to fight Eosmon's Adult form, since evolution to higher forms apparently uses up a lot of the energy/time Chosen Children have remaining.

Looking at the movie in retrospect, the thing that I'm most curious about is that aurora that apparently caused an unusually violent Parrotmon to appear and Eosmon's egg to form. It's not really explained, but clearly it has something to do with the Digital World. Is there a connection between that aurora and the one that appeared when the Chosen Children were at summer camp? I suppose it's just another one of those plot hooks that future entries in the original Adventure timeline might conceivably take up but probably never will.

Golden_Fate

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I might be overthinking things, but I saw Sora as a bit of a hypocrite in this movie, unwilling to risk her last moments with Biyomon, thus forcing Matt and Tai to fight harder and run up the clock faster. I understand she lost Biyomon before the final battle and has mostly left this part of her life behind, but as the former carrier of the crest of love, I would've thought she wouldn't leave her friends to handle this major crisis by themselves. I keep thinking, what if the low point, where Tai and Matt are doubting themselves, was caused by Sora losing Biyomon right in front of them? What if, despite that, Sora still tells Menoa to stop and pleads with Matt and Tai to fight through her tears? Or maybe, she doesn't, what then?
To be fair, Sora had decided to stop fighting in 'To Sora'. You can argue her reasoning aren't just, but it's pretty clear by Mimi's reaction that the team understood and support her decision. She's fighting her own real world battles, as it were.

SnowWarren

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The Harmonious Ones were the 02 dub's name for the Four Holy Beasts. It's not really stated in the Japanese version who was distributing Digivices. According to the CD drama Two-and-a-Half Year Break, though, it seems to be implied that Gennai and the other Agents aren't the ones giving them to the international Chosen Children. It's probably still Homeostasis... though I don't know where the Digivices come from, unless Homeostasis no longer needs to rely on the Agents to build them.
Really? Azulongmon said "They made three new digivices" rather than "We made three new digivices". Another dub mistake?
To be fair, Sora had decided to stop fighting in 'To Sora'. You can argue her reasoning aren't just, but it's pretty clear by Mimi's reaction that the team understood and support her decision. She's fighting her own real world battles, as it were.
But are those battles really more important than the rest of the Digidestined becoming trapped in their childhood memories forever?
I saw the short, but I wish the story hadn't given Sora a free pass for being selfish when Tai and Matt don't.

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

Ricardolindo

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

Anyway, my verdict on this movie is that it was a lot of fun (except for all the dub names and grammatical issues in the subtitles provided). I wasn't too bothered by the weird mechanics behind the loss of the partners. My own impression was that Taichi and Yamato got the rings on their Digivices before some of the others because they evolved to Omegamon to fight Eosmon's Adult form, since evolution to higher forms apparently uses up a lot of the energy/time Chosen Children have remaining.

Looking at the movie in retrospect, the thing that I'm most curious about is that aurora that apparently caused an unusually violent Parrotmon to appear and Eosmon's egg to form. It's not really explained, but clearly it has something to do with the Digital World. Is there a connection between that aurora and the one that appeared when the Chosen Children were at summer camp? I suppose it's just another one of those plot hooks that future entries in the original Adventure timeline might conceivably take up but probably never will.
I think the aurora is simply the result of the dimensions interacting.
BTW, what about the voice that Menoa heard during the aurora and told her to use Eosmon to "save" the Digidestined? Don't you also find that interesting? I know Menoa thought the voice was Morphomon's but I very much doubt it.

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I wasn’t sure if that voice actually existed. Menoa, being crazy, could have just imagined it, but yeah, it probably wasn’t Morphomon.

Muur

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Overall I think it's an enjoyable movie, my biggest complaint is the fact they had Armadillomon using an In-Training level Voice.

I think it may have been better spent as two movies, a lot of it is rushed and I think some more time would've benefited it. Also they could've swapped Menoa out for Maki and nothing would've changed. Heck using Maki prob would've felt a little less rushed since she is already established. "Hey digidestined, im actually alive. you probably dont trust me but all these guys are being knocked unconscious by a digimon so lets put the past behind us and save everyone" and the data that suddenly reforms as a digiegg is tapirmons and then as to no surprise she turns on the DD. plus then you can have Kyotaro spying on her feeling even more justified since theyd have even more reason to keep tabs on her after last time. they never really said *why* he was spying on her, I guess you just have to imagine shes done all sorts of illegal shit off screen. (I mean he didnt seem to know she had anything to do with eosmon till half way into the movie)

As for the harmonious ones, I'm like 98% sure Daigo doubles down on that as the dub name for the holy beasts in Tri.

ChrisPerry

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I watched Kizuna few days ago and have to admit it the best movie I've ever seen. It's like a love letter to us - fans - and it brings some good memories from Adventure and 02.
I was amused to see Parrotmon's battle with MetalGreymon and Angewomon in the first place. I didn't expected it... and then it was such a rollecoaster with Menoa's real agenda and Eosmon. In the end, I cried like a little baby when they had to say goodbye to their friends. Surely, it was heartbreaking losing them for Taichi and Yamato and the rest... I hope they do another movie which really connects the dots to epilogue of 02 (canon much, huh?).

Ricardolindo

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Here's a thing I think we haven't noted yet: During the credits, none of the Adventure Digidestined, except Takeru and Hikari, have their Digimon. In your opinion, does that mean that they all lost them?

theshannza

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Yeah being in the same age bracket as tai in this movie its really relatable...
Low key had a existential crisis after.

But all things said I enjoyed it, I would like some closure in a 02 sequel for how they reunite with their digimon but I think its a nice endcap for the original digidestined

kimm134saya

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
So what did Taichi write on his form at the end?

Also, the Numemon frame when the Eosmon were vanishing made me chuckle and appreciate Numemon a lot! He was so brave!

Imperial

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I finally watched it today. And I have so many mixed feelings.

1. I want to say this felt like more than just a cash grab. I felt the narrative made sense (doesn't mean it did mechanically. . . I'll touch on this later.) for what they were going for and they were consistent. I felt the villain was well done and context and exposition helped ease my mind into accepting what was happening.

One problem with Tri is that this big event is happening and no higher power has the decency to interact with the Digidestined. Ya know? Like they wait until later to have Jesmon (rookie form) exposit some of what is happening. Here, Gennai clears things up with Taichi pretty quickly. And that NEEDED to be done for me to accept this.

2. Sora and what becomes of old super heroes. 02 had several passing-the-torch scenes. And that was great and all, but there wasn't a real reason why the originals didn't just go wreck the enemies like it was 01 part 2 Electric Boogaloo. We had control spires and stuff, but it always seemed like the originals were holding back and then there was the scene about the crests etc etc. 02 was an excercise of justifying why the 02 kids were needed. And that's fine, but when that threat is done do we go back to the 01 kids? Tri says yes. But I always looked at it deeper.

When can Superman retire? When there's a new Superman to take his place? Like his son and a new league of superheroes that the torch can be passed to? It's really necessary for someone like Batman, because they get old, but Superman at most ages really slowly. So 100 years from now is he still obligated to ya know save the world? When can he rest? I once read a Digimon fanfic and in it, Yamato was starting to become distant with the group, because he had his own things going on with his band, college, girlfriend, etc etc. And Taichi asked him, 'when trouble comes, do you want to get the call?' Ya know? Like should we even bother you with it if you're trying so hard to move on?

So we get back to Sora. And it felt like she didn't want the call anymore. And I'm extremely butthurt about it. And I'm like "This is us. This is what we do. This is what we've been doing since we were in middle school." I fully believe saving the world trumps whatever regular ambitions you have in life. And I know that's not fair, but that's how I've always felt. Save the world until you physically can't anymore. Little did I know that maybe she couldn't. I think it was in this thread where I read that perhaps Sora is already going through the process of losing her partner. And that realization. . .after practically condemning her, really hurt me.

3. Losing your partnership? So this is . . .strange to say the least. I felt like I had to fill in some gaps myself because it really . . . ugh I don't want to knock it ya know? Like they were saying it's because of your maturity right? Or you don't have anymore potential? They showed Menoa when she lost her partner and it made absolutely no sense. Like she was 14 right? We know the kids can make it past that age without these effects. So the only difference was that she skipped some grades. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Wallace was mentioned to have skipped a lot of grades too, but that could be dub only. And Ken Ichijouji as the Emperor was pretty smart as well. So is Izzy who is already a CEO of his company. All these people are mature enough (maybe not Ken at the time) to have hit these requirements. So I simply cannot buy that explanation. Like if someone were to tell me the sky was silver and I'm staring at a blue sky right now. I just don't buy it.

And potential? Its vague enough to mean anything which is better. . .But the only way it makes sense to me is if it's just a different lifespan type of thing. There will always be a limit to how much time this partnership has. Period. And it's there at the beginning of the partnership. Fluctuation may come and go depending on how much you evolve your partner and that's beautiful. I can accept that. But they wanted to make it a direct correlation to growing up. Which I call super BS on. Was Oikawa's partner going to puff into smoke if he didn't die?

Personal Preference for me would've been that when the partnership ends, you simply cannot evolve your partner with your own energy anymore. That would satisfy my 'you can retire' philosophy I have regarding people in this situation.

4. The Digi - HNNNNNNNNGRRRRAHASH I loved it. The beginning with Taichi, Hikari, Takeru and Koushiro taking care of Parrotmon. That's how I've always saw it. Honestly I'd think after Tri there'd be more government assistance for them as opposed to Koushiro, but either way it's fine. This has always bugged me, but when a Digimon is worried about a human gun I always roll my eyes. Sure Yamato can be worried about it, but. . .c'mon now. Menoa was to me the Meiko and Maki arcs done right. This was the first Omegamon fight I've liked since X-Evolution and prior to that the Armageddonmon and Diablomon. Meaning I haven't really cared about Omegamon in animation since 2005! But he was amazing here! And like the Armageddonmon fight, I felt his defeat was earned. He tried HARD to win this one and it wasn't enough, compared to times where he might just. . .lose. . .or win ya know? The 02 kids were a nice touch. I found it a bit weird that none of the Eosmon appeared directly to them, it felt more like they were helping other people out. And I felt their presence actually gave me comfort in if Taichi and Yamato lost this fighit, they were still there and could still win it for us. And Menoa! Not only did I like her arc, but her entire 'monologue' and confrontation was GREAT! She was unhinged, broken, and desperate after losing her partner and I felt that! I understood her need! If this was an SMT Game I could see a world where I would help her path. And ya know what, they did the one thing I felt they were not able to do in Tri. . .save someone. Taichi and friends saved Menoa. No Maki, No Meicoomon, no Daigo. . .all of them were failed for different reasons. Menoa WAS SAVED. And I loved it and didn't feel it was a cheap non-committal ending. The ending was noncommittal in different ways lol.

5. My preferential direction. I never bought into Yamato. And I never bought into the archetype of Digimon characters that are trying to be Yamato. AKA The Rival. In short, I didn't feel like Yamato needed to be the secondary here. To close out Taichi's adventure should be the one who was there during the very first one. Hikari. I would have much preferred Yamato's role taken up by Hikari. I've always wanted an adventure with the two siblings. That's pretty much it. I loved the movie, but I may need to rewatch it before I put it into my upper echelons of Digimon material. I reserve that for my personal favorite moments like, Adventure Episode 21, 02 the Ken episode (talking about his brother's death), Call of Dagomon, Our War Game, X-Evolution and some select moments of Digimon Savers.

PS. Agumon hasn't been in Taichi's apartment? This does not compute in my brain.

xm0c

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I've finally seen the film, and I'm kinda mixed on it, but leaning more towards positive.

-First, the big one, Sora. I understand her reasoning for not wanting to fight, and this isn't the first time she missed out on a world threatening Digimon (Our War Game), but it still feels wrong. If even Joe, someone who is training to save lives, can put his job aside to help, there's no reason Sora shouldn't be able to as well. Did she even know about the time limit thing? And yes, she probably would have made a difference in the final battle. Having her and Biyomon would have had all 8 original Digi Destined, and they probably could have formed Omnimon Merciful Mode, who probably could have easily handled Eosmon. Then again that probably wouldn't have happened, considering none of the other characters go Mega, not even Agumon and Gabumon weirdly enough (aside from Omnimon and their new evolutions).

-Sora doesn't even get a scene where she says goodbye to Biyomon. That felt really screwed up, like she didn't care about Biyomon. There's not even any reaction from her. The ending implies Tentomon, Gomamon, and Palmon have disappeared as well. If this really was suppose to be the final adventure for the older Digi Destined, I would have loved to see all of them get their goodbyes.

-I think people are misunderstanding the reason Menoa and Morphomon separated. I watched the subbed version, and in the scenes showing Menoa and Morphomon interacting, Menoa says other kids never understand her, or something like that. She chose to grow up early, and that's why Morphomon disappeared. She even wonders if she made the wrong choice. Her character is still very reminiscent of Maki, but I feel there are enough differences. For example, the reason Morphomon disappeared is partially Menoa's fault, which further drives her crazy. Still though, she seems ultimately redeemed by the end, and she is still punished for her actions.

-The 02 kids get a lot more screen time than I expected, which I greatly appreciate after tri. left them out. I thought it would have been cool to see some other evolutions from them, like Armors or Paildramon, but I was just happy they weren't forgotten about. Hopefully a sequel movie will be made about them and T.K. and Kari.

-Meiko's cameo felt really tacked on. I actually like the character unlike most, but it really felt like the cameo was a last minute addition, considering I don't think Meiko shows up with the other brainwashed Digi Destined. Also, Meicoomon is alive. Not sure how that happened, but it's nice to see her get a happy ending.

-This film does fit thematically as a finale to the original Adventure season. There's so many callbacks to the first 2 movies. I love how butterflies, the topic of the original opening, and an aurora, the same thing that brought the original Digi Destined to the Digital World, are instead turned against the heroes, with Eosmon being based on a butterfly and using an aurora. The whole thing works as a finale, even if we know the Digi Destined are going to meet their Digimon again. I'm hoping for another movie in this style, but focused more on the 02 kids. Give them their own Ultimate/Mega levels.

Muur

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
-Meiko's cameo felt really tacked on. I actually like the character unlike most, but it really felt like the cameo was a last minute addition, considering I don't think Meiko shows up with the other brainwashed Digi Destined. Also, Meicoomon is alive. Not sure how that happened, but it's nice to see her get a happy ending.
We only see her within Meiko's memories. No guarantee she was revived.