Digimon Adventure: Last Evolution Kizuna Discussion Thread

Ricardolindo

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The movie literally contradicted itself with its own premise: if kids make powerful batteries because of the unlimited potential they have the system should work like Young Wizards: you start out as a god and then progressively get weaker as you age. Instead they literally have Menoa point out that Digimon evolve more with character growth. By her own logic, Digimon partners should start out at Ultimate level for a young child and shrink down to Baby 2 or whatever over time.

As for Meicoomon, all they have to do to get her back is kill Apocalymon again, who I assume was also reborn like the Dark Masters. Just assume Omegamon killed Him offscreen without breaking a sweat and Meicoomon is reborn.

The movie was pretty anyways, even if like Tri it hadto retcon a shit ton of established universe stuff to even work. It also, again makes Homeostasis into an even bigger monster than Yggdrasil. If the movie ended with Agumon and Gabumon killing Honeostasis 7D6 it might have worked, narratively speaking. It kills me that thing is allowed to live in the narrative.

Aliens using children as living disposable batteries/chip soldiers that are then discarded is literally the motivation of villains in adult anime (Madoka, Evangelion, Bokurano) or even intelligent western kids shows like Steven Universe, and it’s treated far too cavalierly in stuff aimed at kids.

Setting up Homeostasis as an abusive stage mom that uses human children for its own ends may not be what they intended but that’s certainly the conclusion I came to from tri and Kizuna.
I disagree with that conclusion.
In tri., the Digidestined, themselves, eventually agreed with Homeostasis that killing Meicoomon was necessary.
As for Kizuna, it's not clear whether Homeostasis is behind the end of the partnerships or whether that's a natural element of the Digital World beyond her control.

YongYoKyo

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The movie literally contradicted itself with its own premise: if kids make powerful batteries because of the unlimited potential they have the system should work like Young Wizards: you start out as a god and then progressively get weaker as you age. Instead they literally have Menoa point out that Digimon evolve more with character growth. By her own logic, Digimon partners should start out at Ultimate level for a young child and shrink down to Baby 2 or whatever over time.
I'm pretty sure that's not quite it. "Potential" and "growth" are not the same thing. The kids are using "potential" to fuel their "growth", but as they make choices and decide on their final paths; their options, or "potential", narrow and dwindle down.
From what I gather, likewise the Digimon are also using the kids' "potential" to fuel their own "growth", but that "fuel" has to run out eventually.

It's an inverse relationship between "potential" and "growth"; immature but full of choices and opportunities, or mature but with a determined path in life.

Sparrow Hawk

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
How does that work like that? "Fuel". It sounded like it's almost parasite... I was so surprised when Menoa revealed "Potential" and everything. I was hoping that Gennai arrived to fill in everything but it was simply skipped... The way I view it, it granted easy evolutions unlike the wild digimon but at the cost of price to devolve and if their human partners obtains jobs or matured, the digimon partners vanish but how does it work like that...? I'm starting to get suspicious of the digivice. Maybe it got hidden feature to function like mind device to read/feed off of their brain signals from feelings, emotions to detect?

Theigno

Supper Mοderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
How does that work like that? "Fuel". It sounded like it's almost parasite...
From a logical standpoint I don't see the problem with Digimon being basically parasitic. And it works because inter-dimensional magic shenanigans because in the end abstract character traits generating quantifiable energy through crests is just as absurd as future potential also generating quantifiable energy, so I don't think anything was added that is any more questionable than the mechanics Adventure already works with.
It's not exactly "fuel" though since fuel would be something that gets burned up in a process. But as far as we know it doesn't work like that, they don't seem to "burn off" their potential by evolving their Digimon, just like evolutions via crest don't deplete a chosen's character trait (it would be fun if it was lol). Instead the "potential" seems to act more like a passive boundary.

What is a bit weird is the whole point about a the bond between partners growing weaker over time which is something that wasn't really shown convincingly.
The characters definitely matured between Adventure and tri but Super Evolving and forming Omegamon never seemed to get any harder for them. From a meta perspective you could say that of course the writers back the didn't know about the age limit yet but a) meta reasoning is not answering any questions, just dodging them and b) Why the hell would the writers of Kizuna write that specific part in, in the first place if they never properly use it outside a single scene? If they left it at the absolute age limit and perhaps a very short timeframe before that with less control over evolutions and didn't also mention any longer term gradual weakening they could have had all their nice drama without any continuity issues.

I'm starting to get suspicious of the digivice. Maybe it got hidden feature to function like mind device to read/feed off of their brain signals from feelings, emotions to detect?
That's exactly how stuff like digivices and crests have worked since forever.

Sparrow Hawk

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The bonds weaken over time. Maybe it must be that "fuel" is that their dreams/potential/growth children come with their imagination in mind? Once obtaining jobs or started in College or higher, all "inner child" selfs and imagination faded away? Like... Discarding precious children toys.

Jaybird C

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Do you think there will be any more stories about Taichi and the digidestined or is this really the end?
As I recall, this movie was only advertised as "Taichi's last adventure" and then Toei cheated the implications of that with the reboot. Throw in the fact that the status quo of this movie's ending is incompatible with the status quo of the still-in-continuity epilogue plus that all Toei has to do to keep its word is to sideline Taichi and there's plenty of excuse for more OG Adventure-verse content.

I couldn't tell you what *is* coming down the pipe, or when. but I certainly wouldn't rule out that *something* will come down eventually.

And why do the Digimon need to disappear when their partnership ends? Why can't they just go back to the Digital World? Tons of Digimon without partners live just fine there. :/
For the raw sentiment of it. This movie introduces rules out of nowhere because they wanted to write a sad story about growing up and losing your childhood friend, which some of us already sat through with Pokemon's Jirachi: Wishmaker years ago, but whatever.

If they left it at the absolute age limit and perhaps a very short timeframe before that with less control over evolutions and didn't also mention any longer term gradual weakening they could have had all their nice drama without any continuity issues.
I don't think even that would save it; an age limit that meaningfully threatens early twenty-somethings would still have to take the *very* middle-aged Oikawa into account.

Jmac28211

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Oikawa is only in his 30s, and he seemed relatively "lost" compared to how the main cast sees themselves.

Anyway, I just watched the movie (no subs), and here are my observations (that have probably already been mentioned in this thread a dozen times).

-Visually, the movie looks fantastic. Toei has really upped their game over the last several years.
-The Parrotmon fight was awesome to watch, and Parrotmon's reaction to Angewomon's arrow is priceless.
-Also, Parrotmon is extremely tanky in this version.
-Old-styled evolutions were a nice sight, but Omegamon's evolution sequences were lackluster in comparison. I would have loved to see a warp evolution for both Agu and Gabu, and then new stuff for Omega.
-Just seeing Yamato and Taichi hang out as adults was nice to watch, and the magazine gag was funny.
-Just seeing the 02 kids is really cool, which shows just how poorly they've been treated...
-The girl with the YukimiBotamon is probably the only person in awe at an adult level Digimon
-While I did not see Wallace (outside of his name appearing in an email), it was nice to see the Poi Brothers, Rosa, Michael, Catherine, Mina, Yuri
-The butterflies and Datirimon show up A LOT, despite Oikawa not making a cameo (child or adult).
-I never thought we'd reach a point in the franchise where Omegamon is the jobber.
-The final fight was nice, but the Bonds forms still don't resonate with me.
-Morphomon is adorable, and I wish we had gotten an OVA about it.
-The main cast don't interact as a group very much, but I didn't think that would happen going into it.
-I GET why the Ultimates from Tri didn't show up (lack of screentime, lack of importance for those characters), but it would have been nice to see one or two of them.
-The same can be said about Paildramon.
-Numemon is a hero.

I definitely enjoyed it Raw, and I'll have to rewatch it subbed and then dubbed.

*Edit: Wallace showed up 30 seconds after I hit post.

e105zeta

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Numemon and that Tyumon that evolved into Tyranomon were great background gags.

Golden_Fate

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
*Edit: Wallace showed up 30 seconds after I hit post.
I also expected him in the dream world. There was one blond kid with a red shirt and shorts who could have been him, I've developed a head canon that it IS him, but the designs of every other character was pretty spot on and this kids was off so it probably wasn't meant to be.

EHT30J1981

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I see Meiko Mochizuki and Meicoomon there but I though Meicoomon was dead so how that Meicoomon are came back to alive?

I don't see another The original DigiDestined is Maki Himekawa Daigo Nishijima and another 3 DigiDestined around with their Digimon Partners when they was kids from past.

I don't see Yukio Oikawa and Datirimon around too when he was kids

I know Yukio Oikawa and Daigo Nishijima was dead that why they are not around

But I not sure about Maki Himekawa are dead or alive when she drown in Dark Ocean.

I don't know what happen to another 3 DigiDestined are still alive or dead

Sparrow Hawk

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I think Meicoomon being there is probably just mere memory that came to "life" from digitalizing poor Meiko's memories just like all "kidnapped" chosen ones returned to their younger selfs in that digital Neverland along with digimon partners. Just my thoughts.

But again I'm still not sure why.

Deep Saver

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I completely forgot to comment on this movie back when I watched it. It was a nice visual spectacle, but I just fundamentally disliked its concept. It feels like a cheap tearjerker concept that doesn’t jive well with the previously established Adventure universe. I’m also kind of sick of how both this and Tri have endings that don’t really conclude anything, because they just BEG more questions! I haven’t really enjoyed any of the Adventure stuff beyond what Kakudou handled honestly. As flawed a director as he is, I think he has a unique style, and above all, consistency, with how he handles things.

At least it’s just a single film. I’ll ignore it, just like that one Tamers film with the Locomon I could never stand.

Golden_Fate

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Just got my shipping notification for my pre-order!! Truly cannot wait!

Hikari Motomiya

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I loved it to be honest. Especially keeping in mind that they will all be together, since the 02 epilogue has not been retconned.

Ricardolindo

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'm not sure: Did Agumon and Gabumon, really, turn into butterflies or was that purely symbolic?

kingofgames

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Hi all!
I received my copy yesterday and watched the Dub. I thought it was really good, I must have teared up 5 times throughout the film. Only two real complains were the dub vocal talent, which weren't bad, just not as iconic as the one's I've had in my head for 20 years, and the lack of seeing many of the other Digimon beyond their adult forms. I loved the nods to the original movie/movies, and while some of the mystery-solving elements were silly, it didn't detract from my enjoyment. My love for Digimon really came from the charismatic and iconic villains from the classic series, but I liked the situation devised by Menoa ( bit with all the children was a nice spin on the Omegamon fuel from War Game).

nelmars78

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
For those who have already watched it, there's something I would like to confirm: Was Takeru's Smartphone Digivice Yellow/Gold or was it Dark Green like in the promotional images?

Wadester92

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
As for the English cast not credited for some of the Digimon that appeared in Kizuna.

Let's start with the obvious ones

Kirk Thornton voiced all of Gabumon's form including Bond of Friendship which that voice sounds similar to Saix/Isa from Kingdom Hearts series.

Kate Higgins is still Angewomon

Mari Devon is still Togemon

R. Martin Klein is still Ikkakumon.

Some of the unconfirmed ones

It sounded to me that Kyle Hebert voiced all the Greymon forms including Agumon, Bond of Courage. Additionally, he and Kirk dual voiced Omnimon.

Robbie Daymond is Upamon and Ankylomon.

Jamieson Price seems to reprise the role as Angemon

Minomon could be Paul St. Peter as the voice is very different from Wendee Lee's take.

Doug Erholtz cameo as Koromon.

I believe that's it.

For those who have already watched it, there's something I would like to confirm: Was Takeru's Smartphone Digivice Yellow/Gold or was it Dark Green like in the promotional images?
Yellow like the color of his crest. Might be an oversight.

Golden_Fate

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Finally got to watch it, I didn't expect it to come off as a murder mystery thriller as it did!
That entire opening segment was a thrill, I love the dynamic of the group handling disturbances and Agumon's evolution sequences were amazingly nostalgic (Taichi's expressions were great). I didn't expect the 02 kids to be so involved in the story and I loved their scenes and dynamic! Music was fantastic, villain was great.

I cried when they made their final evolution, I don't know if it was the music or what. That and Agumon remarking at how big Taichi grew. Ugly tears.

I did not care for the use of English dub names in the subtitles, however!

Last edited:

Paruseruru mafubu

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
We really enjoyed it, sad too and a few tears but the final evolution into Yuki's and Yujo's Kizuna with the music was one of the most amazing scenes. Very good film.