Digimon Adventure: Last Evolution Kizuna Discussion Thread

Yume

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Finally watched the movie. A lot more action packed than I thought it would be. While it has many emotional scenes, I feel like Tri. was a little more sentimental and dramatic.

The visuals were amazing. This looks like the type of movie you really want to see on a cinema, so if it ends up in cinemas in my country I'm definitely watching it again. The fight against Parrotmon is easily my new favorite fight in the series. Angemon and Angewomon were so amazing in it!

You can see a Digivice with the timer almost out during the opening credits. It's obviously Sora's, who apparently was already going through the process of loosing Piyomon. Was she even aware of this? The final scene with Piyomon where Sora says she'll just stay right there with her suggests that she did. We see the heartbreaking goodbyes of Agumon and Gabumon, but it hits you even harder when you find out Piyomon was gone for half a movie and no one knew about it.

This adulthood plot with Sora sounds like something that would happen to Joe first. I actually think its weird that he still had Gomamon at this point. We've seen him struggle with juggling life and having a partner Digimon before, and while he overcame that struggle in Tri., I still think Joe has already reached the "requirements" to end the partnership with his Digimon. Still, if it were him in Sora's place, it would become a repetitive plot point for him, and his character would probably get a lot of hate. Thinking about this really makes me want to watch his special episode. (Do we know if these will ever become available?)

I was really surprised to not only see Wallace in Koushiro's list, but to actually see him with Terriermon and Lopmon.

I thought Takeru's phone had a green case after seeing the promo images, but in the movie it was yellow. :unsure:

And damn you, whistle scene. You made me ugly cry...

Last edited:

Samujagi

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Finally watched the movie. A lot more action packed than I thought it would be. While it has many emotional scenes, I feel like Tri. was a little more sentimental and emotional.

The visuals were amazing. This looks like the type of movie you really want to see on a cinema, so if it ends up in cinemas in my country I'm definitely watching it again. The fight against Parrotmon is easily my new favorite fight in the series. Angemon and Angewomon were so amazing in it!

You can see a Digivice with the timer almost out during the opening credits. It's obviously Sora's, who apparently was already going through the process of loosing Piyomon. Was she even aware of this? The final scene with Piyomon where Sora says she'll just stay right there with her suggests that she did. We see the heartbreaking goodbyes of Agumon and Gabumon, but it hits you even harder when you find out Piyomon was gone for half a movie and no one knew about it.

This adulthood plot with Sora sounds like something that would happen to Joe first. I actually think its weird that he still had Gomamon at this point. We've seen him struggle with juggling life and having a partner Digimon before, and while he overcame that struggle in Tri., I still think Joe has already reached the "requirements" to end the partnership with his Digimon. Still, if it were him in Sora's place, it would become a repetitive plot point for him, and his character would probably get a lot of hate. Thinking about this really makes me want to watch his special episode. (Do we know if these will ever become available?)

I was really surprised to not only see Wallace in Koushiro's list, but to actually see him with Terriermon and Lopmon.

I thought Takeru's phone had a green case after seeing the promo images, but in the movie it was yellow. :unsure:

And damn you, whistle scene. You made me ugly cry...
This movie was kinda heartbreaking, to see some of the digimons and digidestined we grew up with end their partnerships was quite sad, but also reminded me of that we all have to grow up.

Do you think there will be any more stories about Taichi and the digidestined or is this really the end?

Last edited by a moderator:

Golden_Fate

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Do you think there will be any more stories about Taichi and the digidestined or is this really the end?
It's hard to say. I mean, I don't think many of us expected to see more Adventure before Tri was announced. I mean, it had a pretty concrete ending with a time skip. I think they're probably going to focus on their new continuity for a bit, but I don't think anything is off the table in the future! There's definitely a few more tales to be told in that world, I think.

Yume

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I don't think we'll get another movie with these characters. The story feels complete. It was the final evolution. The final adventure. We know they meet Piyomon, Gabumon and Agumon again. They went out of their way to show us Yamato looking at a career as an astronaut and Taichi as a Diplomat. That confirms that the epilogue will indeed happen. Confirming their future careers but retcon the partnership seems illogical.

Maybe a new drama CD? Still, with Adventure: on a steady path, I don't feel we need to go back for more original Adventure.

Sapphire Luna

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I just saw it too.
I remember back in the say I thought the 02 ending was really lame but today I'm glad it exists otherwise this movie would have been pretty depressing!
I'm not sure how I feel about this movie suggesting that adults have no potential aha ^^;
I do wish they'd show when and how the Digimon came back though. Would Morphomon come back too? And isn't it kind of weird for, let's say, Tailmon to still be hanging around when most of her Digimon friends have disappeared and she might be next?
I'm still not sure why Wallace's Lopmon and Meicoomon are somehow back to life?
Anyways, it was a great movie. Now if only they'd leave 01 for a bit and do something with Tamers, Frontier etc...

YongYoKyo

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
We never see Meicoomon alive in the real world. We see Meicoomon in the "Neverland", but for all we know, that's just a recreation based on Meiko's memories.

As for Lopmon, it's been implied that he was reborn as an egg. We just never actually see whether that egg hatched into Cocomon or not.

roni c

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Just watch it.

Very emotional movie, but im not sure what im thinking about it. I didnt like that the plot was all about Tai amd Matt, they allmost didnt show us the rest of the 01 group. I have also preferd the evil digimon would be Deamon, or someone from 01, coopereting with evil Gannai.

The end were realy sad. How are you so sure they have met thier digimons agian? what is this epilogue you are talking of?
There is more information about the movie/plot? and how about any continuity for it?

YongYoKyo

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The end were realy sad. How are you so sure they have met thier digimons agian? what is this epilogue you are talking of?
The epilogue in the last episode of Adventure 02, which takes place in 2028. They've confirmed in an interview that the epilogue was still canon to Kizuna, or to be specific, they considered 02's epilogue as the end-goal to Kizuna.

roni c

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The epilogue in the last episode of Adventure 02, which takes place in 2028. They've confirmed in an interview that the epilogue was still canon to Kizuna, or to be specific, they considered 02's epilogue as the end-goal to Kizuna.
OK, great. I still hope for something else in the (near) future.
Lucky us that we have 2020 reboot to enjoy this cast agian.

Ricardolindo

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I watched it a few days ago and my opinions are much better than they were when I read the spoilers back in January. I still think it rehashed Oikawa and Maki with Menoa and that the evolutions at the end were unnecessary but it was still a very dramatic and interesting story.
The movie left an unanswered question: What was the voice from the aurora that Menoa heard and led her to create Eosmon? Could someone have manipulated Menoa? I know she believed it was Morphomon's voice but I doubt it, really, was that.

DazzleDream

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
We never see Meicoomon alive in the real world. We see Meicoomon in the "Neverland", but for all we know, that's just a recreation based on Meiko's memories.

As for Lopmon, it's been implied that he was reborn as an egg. We just never actually see whether that egg hatched into Cocomon or not.
In fact if the reboot in Tri is even broadly canon to the movie; then lopmon would probably be back whether or not the egg shown initially hatched.

Ricardolindo

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

If Menoa wasn't able to properly recreate Morphomon, how would she have been able to recreate Meicoomon?
As for Lopmon, the Door to Summer CD Drama said he wasn't reborn. That may appear to contradict the final scene of Hurricane Touchdown. Admittedly, however, we don't know if that scene was before or after the CD Drama. In addition, as another user said, the reboot presumably brought him back.

In fact if the reboot in Tri is even broadly canon to the movie; then lopmon would probably be back whether or not the egg shown initially hatched.
How could the reboot not be canon to Kizuna? Kizuna is explicitly said to take place five years after tri.

Last edited:

Sapphire Luna

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
In Tri all the other kids' Digimon made it to Ultimate yet in the movie they never go further than Adult, even against Eosmon and that's kinda underwhelming?

Also, if Menoa, a smart scientist, spent years trying to bring back Morphomon without success, how did Taichi and friends bring back theirs? I wish they would have shown some kind of hint in the movie. And why do the Digimon need to disappear when their partnership ends? Why can't they just go back to the Digital World? Tons of Digimon without partners live just fine there. :/

YongYoKyo

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
If Menoa wasn't able to properly recreate Morphomon, how would she have been able to recreate Meicoomon?
As for Lopmon, the Door to Summer CD Drama said he wasn't reborn. That may appear to contradict the final scene of Hurricane Touchdown. Admittedly, however, we don't know if that scene was before or after the CD Drama. In addition, as another user said, the reboot presumably brought him back.
Those are completely different cases. By recreation, I strictly meant a simulated recreation; an effigy with no substance. If the goal was just the image of Morphomon, Menoa would probably have no issues recreating it. But she wanted a living breathing Morphomon with a "soul", which was the issue.
Again, we never see Meicoomon outside of "Neverland". In addition, we never see Meicoomon outside of that mindless "zombie" state, so it's unknown whether it's really Meicoomon or just an empty recreation.

Yes, we don't know the time-relation between that scene in Hurricane Touchdown and the CD drama; moreover, the actual animated media tends to take precedence over CD dramas in the whole franchise. It's practically pointless to consider the CD drama in the overall continuity, when the fact is that it's questionable whether it's even canon in the first place. And even if it was, it's questionable whether it's even contradictory in the first place either.

We also don't know how or if Tri's reboot applies to the other Digidestined. They clearly weren't taking the countless minor Digidestined into consideration with that plot-point. There are a lot of continuity holes with the whole premise, like how they can even reunite after the reboot, since it seems all the reborn Digimon are back in the Digital World. Everyone, even Maki, had to manually find them in the Digital World.

Last edited:

Ricardolindo

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Those are completely different cases. By recreation, I strictly meant a simulated recreation; an effigy with no substance. If the goal was just the image of Morphomon, Menoa would probably have no issues recreating it. But she wanted a living breathing Morphomon with a "soul", which was the issue.
Again, we never see Meicoomon outside of "Neverland". In addition, we never see Meicoomon outside of that mindless "zombie" state, so it's unknown whether it's really Meicoomon or just an empty recreation.

Yes, we don't know the time-relation between that scene in Hurricane Touchdown and the CD drama; moreover, the actual animated media tends to take precedence over CD dramas in the whole franchise. It's practically pointless to consider the CD drama in the overall continuity, when the fact is that it's questionable whether it's even canon in the first place. And even if it was, it's questionable whether it's even contradictory in the first place either.

We also don't know how or if Tri's reboot applies to the other Digidestined. They clearly weren't taking the countless minor Digidestined into consideration with that plot-point. There are a lot of continuity holes with the whole premise, like how they can even reunite after the reboot, since it seems all the reborn Digimon are back in the Digital World. Everyone, even Maki, had to manually find them in the Digital World.
Thanks for the explanation regarding Morphomon and Meicoomon.
As for the reboot, it was stated that it was of the Digital World, as a whole. We also saw that worldwide Digimon got their memories back from Meiko's digivice.

DazzleDream

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
How could the reboot not be canon to Kizuna? Kizuna is explicitly said to take place five years after tri.
I was just referring to the fact that, with movies in particular, broad strokes canon tends to be used. That is even if the movie is canon; certain elements are ignored if they would be considered inconvenient to the current story. I wasn't trying to imply that Tri would be non-canon to Kizuna at all.

Ricardolindo

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The movie left an unanswered question: What was the voice from the aurora that Menoa heard and led her to create Eosmon? Could someone have manipulated Menoa? I know she believed it was Morphomon's voice but I doubt it, really, was that.
Here's an idea: Could it have been the Mysterious Man?

e105zeta

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The movie literally contradicted itself with its own premise: if kids make powerful batteries because of the unlimited potential they have the system should work like Young Wizards: you start out as a god and then progressively get weaker as you age. Instead they literally have Menoa point out that Digimon evolve more with character growth. By her own logic, Digimon partners should start out at Ultimate level for a young child and shrink down to Baby 2 or whatever over time.

As for Meicoomon, all they have to do to get her back is kill Apocalymon again, who I assume was also reborn like the Dark Masters. Just assume Omegamon killed Him offscreen without breaking a sweat and Meicoomon is reborn.

The movie was pretty anyways, even if like Tri it hadto retcon a shit ton of established universe stuff to even work. It also, again makes Homeostasis into an even bigger monster than Yggdrasil. If the movie ended with Agumon and Gabumon killing Honeostasis 7D6 it might have worked, narratively speaking. It kills me that thing is allowed to live in the narrative.

Aliens using children as living disposable batteries/chip soldiers that are then discarded is literally the motivation of villains in adult anime (Madoka, Evangelion, Bokurano) or even intelligent western kids shows like Steven Universe, and it’s treated far too cavalierly in stuff aimed at kids.

Setting up Homeostasis as an abusive stage mom that uses human children for its own ends may not be what they intended but that’s certainly the conclusion I came to from tri and Kizuna.

Last edited: