Digimon Adventure: Going on Hiatus Due to Coronavirus

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

We sort of expected this due to Coronavirus, and Toei has now announced it.

Digimon Adventure: will go on hiatus beginning April 26th. Repeats of the newest version of Kitaro will begin airing on that day. (Digimon Adventure: replaced that version of Kitaro when it finished recently.)

That would be when episode 4 was planned to air next week. So the hiatus technically begins... now.

Update- The hiatus is as of 'now'. The suggestion of episode 4 airing via a few anime news sites in Japan was based on some odd wording. Thanks to onkei and shin for confirming. (The Kitaro Twitter also confirmed they are airing next week.)

The show will return though, so we can look forward to it with the production crew having the proper time to stay safe and also work on the show.

Toei USA posted an English message as we were posting the news:

Attachments

Last edited:

AguChamp

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Hope Toei staff stays safe! I can't imagine remote work being any sort of good option.

Muur

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'm surprised it's happening this early as I thought they had the first 6 or so done based on that TV guide. I'm surprised at how close to the airing episodes are made.

Sarabande__

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Ahhh shit. My two favourite shows I won't be able to watch now. what am I supposed to do now.

BlankShell

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Yeah, kind of expected, but still a bummer. And I just caved and bought Crunchyroll premium too... ah well, time to load up on some other shows.

Digiforlife

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
all the best for everyone who is currently working on this series!! 3 Episodes in and I'm already missing it

Mynor

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
it's very unfortunate and sad for me to see but I would much prefer the teams making the anime be safe. However, like Muur said
I'm surprised it's happening this early as I thought they had the first 6 or so done based on that TV guide. I'm surprised at how close to the airing episodes are made.
I was definitely not expecting it so soon, but admittedly I was expecting to reach this point eventually

MagnaAngemonn

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Just cause they have episodes done though doesn't mean they want to air them. Pokemon is doing the same thing. It's just for the staff basically. Digimon likely had it's first 10 or so episodes done. Pokemon had 30 episodes done before their break.

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Update- The hiatus is as of 'now'. The suggestion of episode 4 airing via a few anime news sites in Japan was based on some odd Japanese vocabulary stuff. Thanks to onkei and shin for confirming. (The Kitaro Twitter also confirmed they are airing next week.)

Last edited:

icomeanon6

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Well, that's the way it goes. No TV show is worth dying for, and we need the whole world to batten down the hatches to save all the lives we can. Hope everyone at Toei stays safe and keeps their jobs.

lucemonbr

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I have one question, has someone any information about Digimon Adventure 2020 ratings in Fuji tv (1,2 and 3 episodes)?

thanks šŸ˜‰

Golden_Fate

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Once they announced Pokemon, I knew this was coming. At least, I feel, it ended at a good point and not in the middle of action.

ryuujinkurodou

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I know it will happen. But I choose not to believe that it will hiatus soon

GoldenEXP

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Oh...
This is pretty heartbreaking,,
Hope the people at Toei stay safe.

G-SANtos

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
You know, I was planning at one point to make a thread on the topic "Do you think the series will be put on hiatus?" because I thought it could happen.
But I was expecting it to happen more like halfway in the year, maybe summer. Not this early.

And I'm surprised they are rerunning Kitaro instead of another Digimon series. This feels like a missed opportunity for reairing Digimon Universe: Appli Monsters, and maybe making it more popular. I would at least expect the original Adventure to be aired.
Though I guess Fuji TV would need to get the license to air any of these series, as Appmon was aired in a different channel and Adventure is so, so old, airing rights have probably expired. Airing the show that just finished airing is probably the cheaper option. But I'm not really sure how all this works.

Now we have the awkward situation where anyone buying V-Jump will see anime news that are not going to happen soon.

And I'm already worried about the possible effects of this crisis on things other than the anime. Survive might be impacted if the team can't access the game files from home. ReArise probably won't be affected much. I think. I heard somewhere gacha games have a lot of assets produced in advance.
Any possible Digimon manga that could accompany Adventure: might be delayed if it was ever planned. The V-Tamer one-shot probably won't, as it's just one chapter, but I find it weird that there's no Digimon manga running now, when there was literally never a TV series that aired without a manga being serialized: V-Tamer started before Adventure and ended after Frontier, and every other series had a manga follow it.
I don't know if the card game could be affected.
And of course, if an Adventure: movie was ever in production, it'll be delayed.

And I'm now afraid PokƩmon SPECIAL volumes 54 and 55 will be delayed again. I hope not, the B2W2 arc has been in publishing hell long enough.

Amandil7

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I understand obviously, but this bums me out. :( Hope they stay safe.

Muur

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
You know, I was planning at one point to make a thread on the topic "Do you think the series will be put on hiatus?" because I thought it could happen.
But I was expecting it to happen more like halfway in the year, maybe summer. Not this early.

And I'm surprised they are rerunning Kitaro instead of another Digimon series. This feels like a missed opportunity for reairing Digimon Universe: Appli Monsters, and maybe making it more popular. I would at least expect the original Adventure to be aired.
Though I guess Fuji TV would need to get the license to air any of these series, as Appmon was aired in a different channel and Adventure is so, so old, airing rights have probably expired. Airing the show that just finished airing is probably the cheaper option. But I'm not really sure how all this works.

Now we have the awkward situation where anyone buying V-Jump will see anime news that are not going to happen soon.

And I'm already worried about the possible effects of this crisis on things other than the anime. Survive might be impacted if the team can't access the game files from home. ReArise probably won't be affected much. I think. I heard somewhere gacha games have a lot of assets produced in advance.
Any possible Digimon manga that could accompany Adventure: might be delayed if it was ever planned. The V-Tamer one-shot probably won't, as it's just one chapter, but I find it weird that there's no Digimon manga running now, when there was literally never a TV series that aired without a manga being serialized: V-Tamer started before Adventure and ended after Frontier, and every other series had a manga follow it.
I don't know if the card game could be affected.
And of course, if an Adventure: movie was ever in production, it'll be delayed.

And I'm now afraid PokƩmon SPECIAL volumes 54 and 55 will be delayed again. I hope not, the B2W2 arc has been in publishing hell long enough.
ReArise content may depend on getting voice acting done in Japanese, English, Chinese, and Korean for future chapters. Outside of that it wouldn't be too hard since everything gets reused

Sarabande__

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Yeah, kind of expected, but still a bummer. And I just caved and bought Crunchyroll premium too... ah well, time to load up on some other shows.
That's exactly what I did. I was watching one piece with adds but then I had to wait a week for digimon so I just bought premium because I didn't want to wait.