Digimon Adventure: Episode 9- The Ultimate Digimon Attacks

taz111

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Nice episode - I was expecting something different, but this surprise with Ogremon was really good. It would be interesting and a cool twist if Devimon was actually Angemon in this version. That another Digimon more powerful is controlling Devimon and once TK is in the picture, begins to show emotions and kindness to later sacrifice himself for TK to be reborn as a patamon to later evolve into Angemon. They could also have Gatomon influenced by Myotismon as well in this version too. Just a thought, as I was thinking, why would the evil digimon keep the holy digimon captive rather than just killing them? keeping the chosen partners from actually teaming up with them, but we'll just have to wait and see as the holy Digimon can also be more than just Patamon and Gatomon, but all the others in Silhouette from the flashback.

DragonicEmperor

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Ogremon, my guy.

I hope this doesn't mean his end.

Libra

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Nice episode - I was expecting something different, but this surprise with Ogremon was really good. It would be interesting and a cool twist if Devimon was actually Angemon in this version. That another Digimon more powerful is controlling Devimon and once TK is in the picture, begins to show emotions and kindness to later sacrifice himself for TK to be reborn as a patamon to later evolve into Angemon. They could also have Gatomon influenced by Myotismon as well in this version too. Just a thought, as I was thinking, why would the evil digimon keep the holy digimon captive rather than just killing them? keeping the chosen partners from actually teaming up with them, but we'll just have to wait and see as the holy Digimon can also be more than just Patamon and Gatomon, but all the others in Silhouette from the flashback.
It's exactly what came into my mind after watching the episode. Although I don't like the idea that such information is kept in that stronghold.
Gorimon and co would know abput it for sure, and intruders are supposed to be taken care of before they can enter the structure.
It'd make more sense if they captured one of the soldiers alive and beat the info out of them.

However, angemon falling to the dark side, and tailmon cooperating with the devil forces out of obligation would be interesting. Tailmon's profile said she observes the kids but doesn't show up for some reason.
And even through Devimon can't be as terrifying as his 1999 counterpart, he would be a great pain in the a** if he is actually a holy digimon and a potential ally who needs to be rescued.

BlankShell

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
A little bit of a table-setting episode, but the Ogremon stuff really made up for that. I'm assuming he'll come back somehow, but to see him come to terms with the Digidestined so quickly and help them out was a bit jarring. Still, it's nice to see the writers have a good way of including all these old characters in fresh ways.

MetalTyrannomon is a interesting choice for a first "Ultimate" enemy, but a welcome one. Very Godzilla-like in his introduction which is cool.

So the imprisoned Holy Digimon has gotta be Patamon, right? Then Gatomon will probably have her own arc like in the original. But before that, we get our first Ultimate protag... the pacing of this show is allllll over the damn place, which on the one hand is really fun for people who grew up on the original, but is showing no signs of getting less chaotic. Time will tell.

My assumption with Devimon is that he'll eventually evolve, since it would be especially cheesy for (at least) one Ultimate to not be able to take him on.

GoldenEXP

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Really loved the episode! Ogremon got an epic Leomon like sacrifice (prolly, we havent seen him die)
If he is dead, i hope we see a happy Goblimon later on in the series.... Actually, do we know if they just go back to eggs in this series? I think i forgot it
Tentomon seems to be playing a manzai straight man a lot, which is fun to pair with his kansai accent
Metal Greymon feels a lil too early, but this episode being this good calmed my worries.
So the imprisoned Holy Digimon has gotta be Patamon, right?
My assumption with Devimon is that he'll eventually evolve, since it would be especially cheesy for (at least) one Ultimate to not be able to take him on.
Yea i think these are likely. I rlly dont see anyone but patamon being the holy digimon, and Devimon becoming, for example, Neo Devimon before their fight would be awesome

Atbara

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Ogremon (Leomon's rival/enemy) dies in Digimon series
Leomon right now: Wait!! That's my line

Libra

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Ogremon (Leomon's rival/enemy) dies in Digimon series
Leomon right now: Wait!! That's my line
Twist: Leomon died before the current events due to COVID19 infection, and can't appear in this series.

But seriously, if the new team doesn't repeat the nasty scenario of killing Leomon, which has become more like a total bullshit and a sick joke, I'd be really satisfied. His death was a major event in Adventure and Tamers, but lost any kind of emotional impact after that. It's better not to have a Leomon at all, than having one to be murdered just for the fun of it.

Lhikan634

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I think part of the Leomon issue is that a few subsequent Leomon deaths weren't intended to follow the pattern (see Panjyamon). Then when they realized "oops, we keep killing Leomon" it sort of became more of a meme than anything else. So Leomon's death in tri. really lost any meaning. I think they can reclaim Leomon, even if it's for him to die again, but they would have to invest in him. Both Adventure and Tamers Leomon had appeared in enough episodes to be fleshed out as his own character with legitimate ties to the children. They managed to do so with Ogremon, even if his arc of redemption was contained in a single episode.

Also, forgot to mention earlier: Gomamon clapping looks like it would be a perfect animated meme.

Libra

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Fair enough. A good sacrificial death is always welcomed. Something that has a meaning for the story and the audience.
Those Leomon killed as enemies like Panjyamon (Frontier) and Saber Leomon (Savers) are more acceptable as you said.
I started disliking the idea of killing Leomon when Bancholeomon died. Finally in Tri. it was like "OK, a friendly Leomon died. Now we can go to the next level."
I won't complain if he dies a meaningful death here in Adventure:, but his survival is a better remedy for this negative reputation.

Rockapheller

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Watching the last episode and reading the comments, I got curious on something. I see Leomon is a character that dies in all seasons except 02. Is each season of Digimon a reboot itself?

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
With the exception of Adventure, 02, Tri, and Last Evolution, every anime series takes place in its own universe, though there are occassionally crossovers, like in Xros Wars.

The Leomon curse is somewhat exaggerated by the fandom. It only really applies to Adventure, Tamers, Tri, and arguably X-Evolution.

Digiforlife

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Leomon dying is pretty much just a troll exaggerated as TMS said. When Leomon first died in Adventure which served more like emotional impact and then he died in Tamers which actually served to move the whole story forward (also emotional impact as well). Somewhere down the line Toei decided to kill off Leomons for trolls/jokes which are not so uncommon in anime in general. Also not all Leomon suffered death too for example at the end of 02 where all digimon gathered together to fight Malomyotismon a Leomon can be seen if look carefully. There is also a Leomon in V-Tamers manga who didn't die too. So don't need to be serious about Leomon it is just an inside joke for Digimon fans.

Quinlan58

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
If we count Leomon evolutions or other lion-inspired Digimon, it is a bit more prevalent than that.

Mon-Ohma

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Mimi: They look like they're kinda having fun.

Ogremon: *Fixed Evil Grin*
-----------------

Toei takes the opportunity to remind us just who the main stars of this show are, by ensuring the rest of the group is conveniently compromised in some manner (laughs at Sora and Biyomon getting singled out) so they won't have to worry about animating the other partners much this week.

Switching Ogremon's rivalry from Leomon to Greymon is an 'interesting' decision to say the least. Although personally I'd have preferred a rematch with Gesomon. :p

What might have helped a bit here is if we had possibly seen more of this noble side to Ogremon beforehand, rather then throwing it at us right before his (apparent) demise.
Suddenly developing a mutual respect for some strangers he'd been chasing for the last few episodes, to the point that it causes him to turn round and practically sacrifice his life for them.
Seems a bit strange that someone like Devimon would seemingly take his loyalty for granted, and not have some form of contingency to prevent that just in case. Unless Ogremon has some form of resistance to being controlled, since nothing seems to suggest he is.
It is for me somewhat rushed development. But I get the impression again I'm not meant to think too much about the details and just enjoy the flashy fight scenes. Which by this point is pretty much the reboot's Modus Operandi.

Speaking of the money shot, you'd be forgiven for siding with Ogremon, as he's treated very much like the underdog throughout this episode, beginning with a brawl that often veers into the realms of Dragonballesque at times. Complete with designated extras standing to one side providing the audience with commentary.
Whilst I can buy Garurumon respecting his old friend's capabilities enough not to step in, I don't think there's much of a valid reason at this point for the others not to simply gang up on Ogremon, apart from them being the good guys.

MetalTyrannomon is effectively menacing from his first appearance as a seemingly unstoppable engine of destruction. There is no current indication on whether it's the same DarkTyrannomon from the last episode. If not, it does then bring up the possible question of who sent it?
We currently don't know the exact limits to Soundbirmon's influence, especially on higher levels. So might there be the possibility of it being someone higher up in the chain of command then Devimon. Like say a certain Dark Master? Given that the fortress was manned by machine/cyborg Digimon, it is fairly plausible.
This and the heavy indication we're getting all the Perfect Levels a lot sooner than the original, it wouldn't surprise me if we're onto the Ultimates by the mid twenties...

Additional: Favourite shot of the week.

Agumon's tribute to Yamcha. :p

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
And that's what that Ogremon art meant. But he did a lot in these episodes before he's probably destroyed in the next ep. Also he doesn't talk as much as the original. At least in the dub. But I thought it was a good fight and we have a great set up for what I'm sure was a good evo ep this week.

DigiKing Tamer

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Additional: Favourite shot of the week.

Agumon's tribute to Yamcha. :p
"Oh no, Yamcha's been Yamcha'd!"

...What? Someone had to say it.

To give my two cents on the episode, this is a good example of Digimon being the Kamen Rider to Pokemon's Super Sentai.