Digimon Adventure: Episode 9- The Ultimate Digimon Attacks

Vande

V-Tamer Vande
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This is the episode discussion thread for Episode 9, The Ultimate Digimon Attacks.

An extended version of the episode preview from the end of episode 8.

Episode 9 airs Sunday, August 2nd, 9am in Japan.

The simulcast for Crunchyroll is shortly after at:
Saturday, August 1st, 7:30pm in California (Pacific)
Saturday, August 1st, 10:30pm in New York (Eastern)
Sunday, August 2nd, 3:30am in the UK

If your time isn't included in the short list above this link will take you to an easy to use time converter so you check yours.

The show can be watched on the following:
(Most countries) Crunchyroll Series Page
(US only) VRV Series Page
(AU only) Anime Lab Series Page
(US only) Hulu Series Page

No spoilers past this episode and no posting before the episode is commonly available for most people at the simulcast times listed above (if you are posting about the episode trending on social media in Japan, feel free to post about that.) You can discuss any next episode previews if they are shown at the end of the episode.

Feel free to join us in the Discord if you want to chat about the episode.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
That was a really good episode.

We get some exposition at the beginning, and the rest is basically battling.

Ogremon worked... perhaps better than he ever has before, going with the 'villain with his own sense of honor that he will follow to the end'.

The close ups were animated nicely, and they used up whatever time they could elsewhere to make sure they had the budget for the fight to be enjoyable.

Lots of good personality stuff from characters like Joe, plus Tentomon and Koushiro finally arrive, and pop in at the perfect time.

MetalTyranomon arriving at the climax of the Ogremon/Greymon fight as basically just an unstoppable force of nature is a great way to show just how different that level is than what they have now.

After that setup next week has a lot to live up to show us.

If that's the end of this version of Ogremon I will be sad that we won't see him again, as what little we saw of him worked well, but if that does end up being it, he went out supremely well.

Ryotaro Okiayu returning from the PSP game to be Devimon (credited for the time being as 'Mysterious Voice') is a nice treat, as he really does evil and menacing and cold very well.

Really happy with that episode

JulieYBM

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Really fun episode. I think I would have preferred a non-battle scene with Ogremon to get a better idea at his pride but I am glad that he's playing the role of "you've earned my respect, kid" because those archetypes are so warm and fuzzy.

I wonder if Oonishi Ryou will do a MetalGreymon evolution for next week? Either way, I'm really looking forward to the big battle. Tate Naoki hasn't been around lately so I'm hoping he can do some cool action cuts.

Quinlan58

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Those first two scenes are as intense as this series has gotten after the Our War Game episodes. Hype.

Ok, Garurumon, I get why you didn't interfere in the fight with Ogremon, but why didn't you do anything against MetalTyranomon?

Injured Adult level with seemingly ambiguous allegiance sacrifices himself with a gigantic attack fighting a Perfect level to protect Taichi and co. Gave me some serious first OVA vibes.

Will post more thoughts later on. But seriously, this episode was awesome.

HawkG

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I was expecting a fight heavy episode but it surpised me with the way it turned out. The exposition was short but everyone had something to say and they all were involved in trying to figure out their next move including the digimon.

Ogremon seemed simple enough that he might have been being controlled like every other digimon but he never showed signs of the black breath so him having his own free will was executed nicely. I wasn't expecting his betrayal to be taken care of so swiftly but it kept me wondering on what would happen next during the leg. The amount of violence also surprised me with the missing eye. No blood but that stomp and the aftermath shocked me.

The speed at which this show is moving still takes me by surprise sometimes, an I feel we won't be cooling down until we finally defeat Devimon.

Finally, someone on the crew must be on some sort of sumo kick. Jou arm thrusts a shack into oblivion and now Kabuterimon is posing like he's about to throw down some salt. This was a great episode and I can't wait for next week.

Guilmon

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
If it weren't for Mimi's commentary, I never would've guessed that Greymon and Ogremon were having fun fighting. They should've conveyed that better. It's just hard to tell what these two characters are thinking and feeling when one has a default evil smile on his face and the other is a dinosaur with... default angry dinosaur expression.

Ok, Garurumon, I get why you didn't interfere in the fight with Ogremon, but why didn't you do anything against MetalTyranomon?
He was eating popcorn and enjoying the Kaiju showdown with Yamato and all the other kids.

icomeanon6

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Well, that was certainly a tour-de-force. There was very much a Shonen Jump vibe to this episode, not necessarily in a good or bad way, just different for Digimon. You've got Greymon and Ogremon squaring off in a "for pride/honor," "coming to understanding through fighting" type battle with intermittent commentary and comic relief from the ensemble cast. In general I'm not a fan of when characters turn into "spectators" like this (not as in everyone has to be participating at all times--I loved the original Adventure and the kids were much less active in that show--but this particular DBZ/Yu Yu Hakusho-like cadence of action and bystander commentary isn't appealing to me (I like both of those shows too, but only despite that tendency)), so I hope that doesn't become a habit going forward. Not my favorite episode on the whole mostly for that aspect, though there's a lot to like in it. The music especially was appropriately bombastic and intense.

My favorite part of the episode was definitely the beginning, when we get the update from the real world transitioning in an ominous way to Ogremon and Devimon. Excellent tone-setter and gave me some genuine chills. Speaking of Ogremon, they handled his small arc really well (assuming we never see him again). His motivations aren't exactly original, but they're depicted effectively and economically. I think the archetype shows up in anime so often because it really resonates. It's the fine line between an "enemy" and an "opponent," the kind of adversary you miss when the true monsters rear their heads.

Not gonna lie, I'm mostly looking forward to seeing how they animate MetalGreymon next episode. I feel like MetalGreymon in particular has tended to look better in stills than in motion, but the dynamic animation that's been lavished on the Adult-levels so far makes me optimistic that they'll figure it out. It sure looked for a second like we were going to get him this episode, though! I like how the way it shook out instead: Taichi's bravado did seem to be giving Greymon a major boost, possibly enough for evolution, but MetalTyranomon gave them a swift reality check. I'm not going to guess how the story beats leading to MetalGreymon's debut will play out, but I'm sure we'll get plenty of complaints about how it's "too early" even if they make it work really well in the moment and in hindsight when the series is complete. Who knows, maybe someday fans will complain about how OG Adventure dragged its feet with the Perfect-levels, and they too will probably be missing the point. It's all about how the writers make it work.

If it weren't for Mimi's commentary, I never would've guessed that Greymon and Ogremon were having fun fighting. They should've conveyed that better. It's just hard to tell what these two characters are thinking and feeling when one has a default evil smile on his face and the other is a dinosaur with... default angry dinosaur expression.
Totally agree with this. Makes me wonder if there was a lapse in communication between animators and writers.

Last edited:

Sparrow Hawk

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
RIP Ogremon.

I wonder if breathing so evilly is the sign of being manipulated? Devimon's touch or what?

And surprised Soundbirmon swarm can make... Hologram sounds. Very menacing as Devimon in hologram forming.

I noticed Yamato and Garurumon weren't there the whole time since... MetalTyranomon roflstomped Ogremon.

I guess Ogremon is really not manipulated or evil but more of... Being forced to? Judging from Devimon said to him.

Sad Sora and others were just standing there the whole time -_- why...

Greymon Vs Ogremon is good but still weird to see such tiny Greymon battling Ogremon. Even MetalTyranomon is so giant.

dgmn

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Amazing episode. Way to go out Ogremon - now he is a legend in my eyes. It seems that MetalTyrannomon is the same evolved form of D.Tyrannomon from earlier. It is getting better and better.

Amandil7

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Lets talk about the hero of this episode first!

Ogremon had such an interesting journey within one episode. He went from frustration, wounded pride, revenge to redemption.💚

Him being stepped on was such a visceral shocking scene. I'll be devastated if this fight is the end for him because I really want to see him interact with Leomon and maybe see Titamon eventually (wishful thinking).

Metal Tyrannomon radiated such power as an Ultimate, it will be interesting to see what he does next episode.

Izzy showed up at last! About time, it was getting annoying just seeing him float through the net.

Hilarious that Biyomon just stopped short of evolving into Birdramon, clearly someone has an agenda lol. 🚫🐥

Finally, I hope they find the Holy Digimon soon, don't want this arc to drag out too long.

Lhikan634

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It's just hard to tell what these two characters are thinking and feeling when one has a default evil smile on his face and the other is a dinosaur with... default angry dinosaur expression.
They suffer from resting ogre face and resting dinosaur face. It's possible they went that route with the fight so they could re-play parts of the battle and put more of the budget into the fight scenes (they had a fair number of "flashbacks to the same episode" going on). But they really could have had a "heh, not a bad punch" type line. I guess they thought Ogremon doing the "Pichu taunt" wouldn't be the way to go.

Image Thumbnail (custom)

This was quite the episode overall! I'm loving how it really feels like the Adventure universe while also doing its own thing. This marks the first "full team" episode, and they really played off each others' characterizations rather well. Tai's definitely the born leader (though Joe thinks that's his role). You can already see the respect Matt has for Tai from that bromance montage. There's decent balance between the characters as well, with everyone having a role to play (even if Tai and Matt are the focus). We got to see Gabumon's digivolution sequence along with Agumon's, which isn't surprising at this point. We got a nice "Matt riding Garurumon across the night sky" that at least reminded me of the old intro. And of course, we have cliff battles, Joe trying to drown, and Devimon trying his best to avoid sunburn.

Theigno

Supper Mοderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Let's start off with the intro... I think Koushiros Digimon introductions could offer some interesting information that didn't make it into the episode itself (not so much in the case of Agumon lol) but by now we are at like three and a half minutes of... things before the episode even starts. I guess I'm ambivalent about that.

Ogremon was really front and center of this episode, if someone just told me how much they did with him within like 15 minutes I would have had my doubts about how effective it could be but they managed to pull all of it off rather convincingly. I am not entirely sure if he's dead. He kind of blew up... but we didn't really see his data scatter or anything so that leaves things a little bit open.
Part of it was likely just how high energy the episode seemed from start to finish. After the initial conversation about the holy Digimon everything was just constantly in motion, never slowing down. And it seems that momentum will continue on into the next episode as well.

Greymon's fight against Ogremon was just as entertaining as the last. Perhaps there were just a few too many shots of him just standing there grabbing Ogremon's club but once they got moving it was Adventure's spiced up animation and choreography at its best. Greymon continues to use his tail to his advantage, and there's even a point where he trips and grapples Ogremon to the ground, which was a nice way to change things up (Most fights have a tendency to end up on the ground at some point, and it's great to see them incorporating that).

They also brought up the Digimon's capability of producing a sort of DBZ type aura blast, something that occasionally happened before but was one of those things that was just kind of random and not really consistent. What is interesting here is that they showcase it with an Adult level Digimon when it's usually something reserved for Ultimates (VenomVamdemon was the first Digimon to use this ability as far as I remember). If it crops up this early it gives me hope that it could be developed into something less arbitrary, like an actual mechanic with a purpose and not just a thing that randomly happens.

The Coredramon assault worked well to show the conflict of interests between Devimon and Ogremon and presented a good opportunity for for Koushiro rejoining as well as keeping the other kids from interfering with the Ogremon's duel but it was handled a bit awkwardly at times. Like how everyone just forgets that the Coredramon are still around and ready to strike when they all gather up to greet Koushiro and how Ogremon and Greymon basically end up in the exact same spots as a few minutes before, just kind of "resetting" the state of their battle. To me that was the episode's sole weakness.

MetalTyranomon did make for an impressive introduction to the power of the perfect Level. The next episode might give us more insight in just how big the gap between Adults and Perfects will be portrayed in this season.
Yamato seems to be the only human character who seems to have experience with perfect level Digimon before judging by his reaction. This could be a reference to episode 2 but I'm honestly not sure considering from the perspective of the characters very little was established about Algomon and his evolutions and which one was which (It still begs the question if the Omegamon/Algomon battle in Episode 3 takes away a bit of the impact that they try to achieve when introducing a perfects as this super big deal now). Anyway if they already had encounters with Perfect level enemies, it might explain why they didn't bother attacking MetalTyranomon; They knew they'd just be smacked down.
Anyway, at some point it would be really be nice to see how long Yamato has been traveling around with Gabumon, how much of the world they already explored and also... for what reason?
I previously assumed that he was fighting Devimon's forces on his own but in this and the last episode he didn't seem any more informed about the forces of evil and their motive than anyone else. He knew about the fortress but nothing beyond that.

For the next episode it seems were are looking at a chase-like setup with the children trying to get to the location Ogremon indicated while trying to shake off MetalTyranomon.
Considering how the last time they had to escape from enemy forces ended up feeling very anticlimactic, now's the time to make up for that.

You could kind of see Greymon showing a bit of a smile when their clash was starting to produce those blue sparks (sparks of joy perhaps).
Greymon Vs Ogremon is good but still weird to see such tiny Greymon battling Ogremon.
Greymon isn't really smaller but Ogremon seems consistently bigger than he was in the original.
It seems that MetalTyrannomon is the same evolved form of D.Tyrannomon from earlier.
Does it? I was looking for hints to connect the two when MetalTyranomon appeared but I couldn't find any.

Last edited:

dgmn

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
All digimon so far are pretty much the same in size, Ogremon it seems is bigger and on par with Greymon height.

About MetalTyrannomon, there is no other possibility, it seems may I say that Devimon made him evolve somehow from previous encounter with Greymon.

Rohan

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Hot damn, that was a great episode! If you'd have told me I'd love Ogremon by the end of the episode I'd have never believed you, but blow me down they actually did it. That felt more like a Leomon sacrifice then anything else and I wonder if the actual Leomon could top that. :unsure:

MetalTyranomon was also very impressive. Even after getting the Crest of Courage power-up, Greymon just got swatted aside like some annoying fly, showing just how wide the gap between Perfect and Adult is. The confirmation that we shall indeed get MetalGreymon next week leaves me with two questions - how will Devimon pose a threat and will they still go down the Dark Evolution route with SkullGreymon one day or someone else?

Demetrius95

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This ep stalled a bit, I would have done without cause it was battle battle battle and nothing else. I liked how they teased metalgreymon with the eye turning blue, very nice touch. A few notes
Is it just me or does greymon look smaller? Certainly had this impression, especially this episode but in previous ones too.
Metaltyrannomon was nice and I like how they played up the gap between adult and ultimate level. I wish they would have all digivolved and at least tried to attack. Since they made MetalTyrannomon seem so powerful, we're already getting ultimates and we will get all the mega too, I'm worried about how they will ultimately inevitably nerf the ultimates, we have a lot of episodes ahead and I don't know how they will keep up the tension about ultimates.
I also liked kabuterimon a lot, he still retains his goofy personality even when digivolved and it made me love him a lot. I like the personality of the Digimon. Except agumon.

Ricardolindo

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This episode was amazing. I'm very happy to see Koushiro finally joining the others. I loved the fight between Greymon and Ogremon. Ogremon showed his code of honor. I'm looking forward to the fight against MetalTyranommon and MetalGreymon's appearance in the next episode.

Last edited:

Vande

V-Tamer Vande
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Holy crap, Ogremon was excellent in this Episode. Devimon finally showing up again to clearly threaten. Glad they got a good VA for him. The aura around him indicates he is a strong as a perfect level. Annoying that they used Ultimate in the subs when they stated Kanzentai (Perfect).

Also about time Koushiro met up with them! They are all together at last (well at least for now minus Takeru and Hikari)

We got to hear more of the insert song, it really has grown on me a fair bit.

Sparrow Hawk

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Too bad DarkTyranomon didn't evolve. It seemed MetalTyranomon arrived from the west where the army of Coredramon green came from while DarkTyranomon on the east, fell off the cliff to ocean but didn't bother resurface on the beach....

I watched again and I realized, how did the team survived like that not even panicked or running around as the fortress got destroyed and collapsed, caught on fire by Coredramon green and MetalTyranomon's attacks? They were just whoaa, standing there.

Lousy aims. lol

But, guys IMPORTANTLY, as the fortress was destroyed, is it alright to move on? I mean that... Tablet in the studying lab room... You know? Destroyed? The last line didn't get translated for weird reason!

Golden_Fate

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Oh I didnt want that to end! Putting Orgemon in that situation was really great because there are actual stakes when supporting characters get involved. Even if allot of the build up to his shift had been seen before in media (broken horn, fight for pride, betrayed by the enemy) it all felt fresh and exciting.

I hope we get to meet him again, I'd still like to see some Leomon and Orgemon team up action one day!

Ryotaro Okiayu returning from the PSP game to be Devimon (credited for the time being as 'Mysterious Voice') is a nice treat, as he really does evil and menacing and cold very well.
Hah! That was the first thing I thought about it when I heard his voice, so I'm glad to have that confirmed.

Last edited: