Digimon Adventure: Episode 8- The Children's Attack on the Fortress

Ricardolindo

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I think the episode was good.
It was good to see Yamato and Gabumon again and the battle scenes were cool.
I'm anxious for finding out more about the Holy Digimon and for Izumi to join the others.

Rohan

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Really good episode. Everybody contributed something and I really liked the climax where Yamato realises the support from the others and got the Friendship Crest power-up...though I like everyone else had a moment where I thought Garurumon might Evolve.

Some other thoughts, Mimi casually braiding Ikakumon's fur and wiping Gabumon's pelt is why she was best girl. Sora's "he's so cool" line about Yamato is setting off my shipping senses. :oops:

Theory: If that MetalTyrannomon in the preview is actaully the DarkTyrannomon from this episode then I think the chances of seeing Devimon evolving to be a threat now that we've got Perfect level enemies next episode has increased.

Golden_Fate

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
What an exciting episode that was! I wasn't sure I was gonna like Yamato - at all- but as soon as he started regarding all the kids fighting alongside him, I was sold. I at first thought he was specifically thinking about Mimi, and my shipping brain went wild but then the others started cycling in! (Cloud x Aerith vibes!)
I loved Mimi throughout this episode though; braiding Ikkakumon's fur, crying about her (Sora's) towel. But Jou is still not clicking with me, I've been finding him generally unlikable so I hope they tone down his negativity.

I just really liked the whole siege storyline of the episode, it kept the episode full enough to keep me entertained throughout but it didn't feel like it dragged or went by too fast. Can't wait for next weeks episode, the show hasn't let me down yet!

Last edited:

Theigno

Supper Mοderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I enjoyed this one, and quite a bit more than the last episode.
I would have enjoyed it more if most of the protagonists didn't act like complete idiots.

Animation was decent. There's still an immense aversion to showing Birdramon moving smoothly for more than one second. The action looked nice overall although I was waiting for a few more impressive shots especially towards the end.

Instead the visual highlight of the episode was Gabumon's evolution sequence. And even if the exclusivity is annoying, it just looked really great. I especially enjoyed the shot of Gabumon's head fully morphing into Garurumon's, it had an very interesting staggered effect, and there were also some very... tactile sounding SFX that really sold the impression of his body growing and changing rapidly.

I also have to say that overall they did a good job of making sure all characters were represented in the episode, and their interactions were consistently enjoyable.
Too bad the same can't be said for the main action sequences of the episode, which was just a string of very bewildering decisions by basically everyone involved and you really couldn't pin down what was supposed to be idiotic and what wasn't.

Like after just barely escaping the ocean after getting sniped, our heroes have the genius idea of just running up to the big fortress filled with enemies while hoping not to get shot.
But at least for the humans you could forgive that slip, they don't have the experience after all and it makes for a good excuse to have Yamato dramatically rescue them.

Yamato's and Gabumon's plan of sneaking into the fortress sounds much more sensible until it turned out that it wasn't what they were actually planning.
In fact their great infiltration plan boils down to ... just running up to the big fortress filled with enemies while hoping not to get shot.
...But it's fine because Garurumon is fast, or at least it would have been if Yamato didn't inexplicably wait to trigger the evolution until after just running around on foot for a while. Again part of this was supposed to be his hubris on display but even then most 11 year olds definitely have a better grasp on what "sneaking in" means.
And then they seem surprised that the fortress has a gatekeeper? How? They seemed awfully well informed earlier, knowing that it was a Gorimon that was sniping them despite him not really being visible from the ground. That implied that they had done at least a bit of investigating about the fortress beforehand and yet, the giant black Dinosaur just kind of never revealed his presence before?

Now Jou's attempt at surrender... stupid for sure but in a way that actually fits his character, so I'm not really complaining about that, especially since it was absolutely meant to be seen as a dumb move. It also definitely established that the forces of evil are not honorable in any way.

But the in the supposedly inspiring final sequences of the episode the writing takes a dip yet again when everyone's heroic plan to support Yamato consists mostly of... you guessed it: Running around in a circle in front of the big fortress filled with enemies while hoping not to get shot.
Except now it's suddenly treated unironically as an amazing idea, even though they literally just do the very thing Yamato had to save them from earlier, while Yamato is preoccupied himself and while Gorimon isn't even close to being defeated and could still totally snipe them if he felt like it.
It's about the most brainless distraction they could come up with, especially with all their Digimon's abilities at their disposal. And they just run around there for literal minutes (at least Sora and Taichi provide more reasonable support).

Humans riding their Digimon into battle continues to be somewhere between vaguely interesting and extremely silly, depending on the scene.
It's reasonable when they are getting attacked while they just happen to be riding on them, can't really expect their partners to take the time to find a good spot to let them down while they are getting blasted with attacks, but whenever they initiate a fight and their first thought seems to be "better put my human on" it just seems bizarre.
Like look at the shot where Greymon clashes with DarkTyranomon, his head swinging back and forth and Taichi is just awkwardly glued to his horn with a strangely bored expression... it added absolutely nothing to the shot or to the fight other than being nonsensical.
The new "mechanic" of the crest giving the partner a power boost could be brought up as a reason why they would think the riding would be beneficial, but the problem is that there has been no indication so far that they were consciously planning to use that power or that they even know how it works.

So overall... it was entertaining while also being a bit of a waste of potential.
In general I get the impression that the staff is miles more comfortable writing interesting and creative one-on-one battles between Digimon than larger scale conflicts. But considering how much more organized the forces of evil seem to be in this continuity they will really have to up their game, if this episode is any indication.

But at least things won't be slowing down any time soon and the next episode seems to be more focused on duels with fewer but more powerful opponents.
Ogremon previously provided us with one of the best fight scenes in the series by far, so I'm excited that he'll be back in full force, and it seems like they might set him up to have an actual rivalry with Greymon...

Wandering Tamer

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I loved this episode. Everyone got their moments. While I do want everyone to eventually get their own evolution sequence, with how quick these episodes are paced, I feel like that everyone evolving there just isn't time for that.

Quinlan58

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Oh, right, the evolution sequence. I'm firmly on the camp of them being unnecessary so I prefer the transition Piyomon, Palmon and Gomamon had to the long sequence Agumon and Gabumon got.

JulieYBM

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Oh, right, the evolution sequence. I'm firmly on the camp of them being unnecessary so I prefer the transition Piyomon, Palmon and Gomamon had to the long sequence Agumon and Gabumon got.
The evolution animation saves times in the long run. Having sequences like this eats up the runtime while conserving key animators and in-between drawings (something in short supply in Japan). They're basically just a cool way to build up hype and conserve resources, so they're quite useful to a series that is perpetually able to only give episodes six weeks to be animated. This is to say nothing of there being at least two solo key animator teams on the series (Naoi's #5 and Yashima, who mostly did #8 alone).

Sparrow Hawk

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Theigno's post about the fortress attack tactic and the enemy tactic. Well this is anime. Oddly everybody weren't shadowed in that night attack. In the reality, it would be totally dark to see in the sight. And children and partners outrun Tankmon army's tank bullets is kinda making me a bit uncomfortable, to be honest, I remembered how Tankmon shot the bullet that was pretty faster in Mugendramon's turf and Taichi and others had to get out of the way really panicked and fast. I think they charged in that fortress head-on recklessly because they lacked... Some assassin tactics plus they are very young kids and digimon partners weren't suited for sneaking in.

But guys, wanna bet Gesomon being part of this deployment team of Gorimon, Solarmon, DarkTyranomon, and Tankmon? For me, I thought about it but it doesn't seem Gesomon being defeated and fled didn't inform them or led them to be on guard even on night?

Quinlan58

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
But guys, wanna bet Gesomon being part of this deployment team of Gorimon, Solarmon, DarkTyranomon, and Tankmon? For me, I thought about it but it doesn't seem Gesomon being defeated and fled didn't inform them or led them to be on guard even on night?
There's a couple shots of Soundbirdmon both arriving and leaving, and Yamato implies they've been this vigilant for a while. Not denying Gesomon might have been part of the security, but it doesn't seem like it was his intel that led the fortress to be that guarded.

BlankShell

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
One of the more curious bits so far is how they assiduously avoid showing Digimon get destroyed, they only run away or get blasted off-screen (or in this case, broken down but could still be alive re:Tankmon)... but Garurumon straight up killed Gorillamon, no? We didn't really see any evil eyes, but we DID see a Soundbirdmon. Wonder if that'll come back into play at all.

But yeah, good episode, loving all the character interaction so far. It's bizarre how Mimi is a highlight, but there it is. Joe's growing on me too after not making the best showing last episode.

taz111

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Love this Episode. Looks like things are going to get serious in the next one. Could we end up seeing our first Chosen Ultimate? hehe, What I love about this season is everyones interaction with each other and how each of the digimon are saving and helping the other human partners and vise versa.

I think my shipping brain is overthinking but Mimi's little interaction at the end with Matt is so well done. Also, she had those anime pink blush lines on her she when she was assuring Matt when he looked back at the group. hehe

Other than that, Gabumon's evolution was amazing - I still like the fast evos though. It makes me believe they weren't going to actually have actual stock evolutions from the get go - but decided to add it for Matt and Tai during the covid hiatus. Who knows. lol

Overall great episode.

Golden_Fate

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Other than that, Gabumon's evolution was amazing - I still like the fast evos though. It makes me believe they weren't going to actually have actual stock evolutions from the get go - but decided to add it for Matt and Tai during the covid hiatus. Who knows. lol
I think the evolution's are really cool, and it would have been nice for everyone to get one - if not only for their first time. I think showing the first and second baby form is really effective in showing the line of their evolution thus far. But I agree, I also like the fast evolutions. It helps keep them in the flow of action, even when they're evolving. It's very consuming to show up to eight evolution sequences in a row. Even Greymon's full evolution has already become repetitive, so I was happy to see it effectively shortened in this episode. I'm still going to be hopeful that we'll eventually see some cool animations for one level of the others' evolution, even if it's their final forms, but I'm not holding my breath....

icomeanon6

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This episode = YES

Honestly, this might be my favorite episode so far. It was exciting, suspenseful, atmospheric, charming, funny... just all around wonderful. I want to call attention to one thing in particular: Jou grabbing the towel, sincerely believing that he's about to save everyone, and making a white flag with it that everyone else in the show and in the audience knows isn't going to work. I busted a gut. It was seriously the loudest I've laughed all month. Don't know if most folks found it as funny as I did, but I thought it was just hilarious. And Palmon's "Actually, it was Sora's towel" line right after was the icing on the cake.

And man, that whole extended fight to take the fortress. Too many great little details to mention, and the writers used every 'mon on the team just right, like Togemon's chiku-chiku bang bang (side note: both "chiku-chiku bang bang" and "needle spray" sound better than "prickly bang bang") working like a barrage to take down the Tankmons' shots. Even Yamato's cloak got its Chekhov's Gun moment.

Having read the complaints about the logic of the episode, I've decided that I like what's actually here too much to care. Yes, Yamato could have used something closer to actual stealth than just agility to "sneak in" (maybe an eventual dub will translate it as "infiltrate"). No, it's not realistic for Yamato to hang onto Garurumon that well in battle. But they simply don't hurt the show. What's here works so well that I can easily imagine the writers considering more logically sound scenes and making the fully informed decision to go with their gut and pick what's going to be the best to watch.

Something that grabbed me character-wise was Yamato looking back at the scene as Garurumon jumps to confront Gorimon, and seeing what might otherwise look like a debacle through a different lens. The way the camera lingers on these kids he's just met and doesn't know or trust yet, all telling him without words that they're playing the part of bait to let him be the hero and smiling about it, was more touching than I thought it would be. The stock critique for this kind of scene is that it's "unearned" because they've just met, but here it somehow works because they've just met. The fact that they're doing this for him even though they have no history together hits Yamato like a ton of bricks. If he thought it was weird in episode 2 how Taichi declared him a friend right off the bat, now he's floored about there being three more kids all saying the same thing through action. He doesn't seem to get it yet, and he's clearly not comfortable with it when they're all in the same room again, but in the moment it reached him enough to kick his Crest of Friendship into overdrive and win the battle. My impression of this Yamato is that he has the instincts to be a good friend--Gabumon notes that he's taking on the risk himself to keep the others safe--but he's completely unused to receiving friendship, to having other people take up burdens for him. I'm excited to see where his arc in particular goes from here.

One last thing--because Digimon fans are obsessed with stock transformation sequences--my new headcanon is that Piyomon's ability to evolve quickly is one of her special powers, and I appreciate her for it.

Libra

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
In the original series, there was a time children decided to infiltrate a pyramid owned by Etemon iirc. I really loved how the chosen used teamwork to confuse Etemon and his minions to enter the pyramid.
This episode of Adventure: somehow reminded me of that time. It was not a direct reference like summer camp, and was a nice episode by it's own.
But it pleased me both as an Adventure: fan, and an old fan of digimon franchise.

The only thing that bothers me is the ending. Not that it was a bad one, but it made the usual one week wait harder for me 😬
In episode 5, Valdurmon ordered the kids to go search for Light and Hope who fight among the Warriors and called them the holy digimon.
As if it was not confusing enough to differentiate between warriors and holy digimon in a light vs darkness battle, the fact that two holy digimon are in the cloud continent while the others including Valdurmon itself "Are Perished" made it harder for me to come up with any good idea about what is going on there.
So what do we have in the current episode? Taichi finds some new info aboud the holy digimon, and is shocked. No trace of happiness or comfort. And the episode ends. Even over thinking is not gonna help me at this point. I can only wait and try to keep my curiosity under control lol.

Notus

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I think the evolution's are really cool, and it would have been nice for everyone to get one - if not only for their first time. I think showing the first and second baby form is really effective in showing the line of their evolution thus far. But I agree, I also like the fast evolutions. It helps keep them in the flow of action, even when they're evolving. It's very consuming to show up to eight evolution sequences in a row. Even Greymon's full evolution has already become repetitive, so I was happy to see it effectively shortened in this episode. I'm still going to be hopeful that we'll eventually see some cool animations for one level of the others' evolution, even if it's their final forms, but I'm not holding my breath....
I think Greymon's sequence feels a bit repetitive because it was the only one. The starting sequence is slow, but this episode showed it can be abridged nicely. Also, I feel the fact the fanfare the sequence has been used with lacks the typical energy of a evo theme and helps this feeling.

Demetrius95

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I hear the logic complaints, but these are literal children, you can't fault them for their logic and poor choices! They've only had their Digimon for days, or a couple of weeks at best, give em a break lol

Guilmon

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I hear the logic complaints, but these are literal children, you can't fault them for their logic and poor choices! They've only had their Digimon for days, or a couple of weeks at best, give em a break lol
That would be a fair argument if the show treated their poor choices as such and addressed them, but instead they are disguised as strategic thinking that is somehow effective.

That said, I really liked the episode. I gave up on the show giving us clever fights, so I'm just here for the fun little character moments. It's nice to see the kids' personalities playing off each other now that the team's gotten bigger. And the occasional bit of sakuga is always welcome.

Katsu Hikaru

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Episode 8 made me wonder what the entire blacksmoke was about with DarkTyrannomon and Gorimon when they breathed maybe that could have played a part in DarkTyrannomon's evolution.

Sparrow Hawk

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Surprised nobody here talked about the extra part on Agumon evolving transformation? That tail popping out.

And Yamato have amazing eyes for seeing Mimi and Jou wavings at SO FAR, you cannot see that human faces at such long distances even in darkness. lol anime logic

I still don't understand how creepy is it about Tankmon's caterpillar wheels running after defeated?

Mon-Ohma

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Well this week it seems the kids have decided to try and re-enact the opening sequence from 'Saving Private Ryan.' :p

Tankmon. I love me some Tankmon. Always been my favourite grunts.

Once again the reboot falls back on it's crutch of providing us with entertaining enough battle scenes, in order to largely make up for the somewhat limited characterization.
With Mimi and Joe continuing to provide the main source of humour, whilst Taichi and Sora still unfortunately come across as a bit flat. :/

I doubt it came as too much of a surprise Gabumon receiving the high budget evolution right of the bat. Toei's pretty shameless in regards to showing favouritism towards the franchise's designated Goku and Vegeta. Especially these days.
What also didn't come across as particularly surprising for me is that they didn't waste time in machine-gunning through Yamato's friendship plot in order to give Garurumon a convenient power boost.
There is of course now the question regarding whether or not the writers intend to pull another Koushiro/Tentomon, and not bother showing us how and when the two originally met.

So now that we've reached the continent, have yet to receive a proper introduction to Takeru, and seemingly have Perfects on the horizon... It does make me wonder how they're going to work Devimon into this new setup. Does he still rule File Island? Perhaps they intend to combine him and PicoDevimon into one.