Digimon Adventure: Episode 8- The Children's Attack on the Fortress

Vande

V-Tamer Vande
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This is the episode discussion thread for Episode 8, The Children's Attack on the Fortress

An extended version of the episode preview from the end of episode 7.

Episode 8 airs Sunday, July 26th, 9am in Japan.

The simulcast for Crunchyroll is shortly after at:
Saturday, July 25th, 7:30pm in California (Pacific)
Saturday, July 25th, 10:30pm in New York (Eastern)
Sunday, July 26th, 3:30am in the UK

If your time isn't included in the short list above this link will take you to an easy to use time converter so you check yours.

The show can be watched on the following:
(Most countries) Crunchyroll Series Page
(US only) VRV Series Page
(AU only) Anime Lab Series Page
(US only) Hulu Series Page

No spoilers past this episode and no posting before the episode is commonly available for most people at the simulcast times listed above (if you are posting about the episode trending on social media in Japan, feel free to post about that.) You can discuss any next episode previews if they are shown at the end of the episode.

Feel free to join us in the Discord if you want to chat about the episode.

Attachments

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The story goes on, and we get an episode with lots of little battle and strategy moments, along with lots of good character material.

Putting the characters at a wall they had to fight past to continue on worked well as far as giving us a lot of action moments, plus letting all the characters have little moments.

Taichi deciding they had to help, Sora jumping in, Jou doing what would 'seem' to be the right thing to do based on what he knows, and then him and Mimi playing decoy, and reintroducing Yamato and having him jump ahead on his own so no one would get hurt. It all played pretty well.

Moreso when Yamato realized that even the ones he thought he had to protect on his own ended up doing things to help him, giving us a 'powered up' Garurumon, giving additional usage of the aspects of the crest prior to simply introducing a new level.

I also found it interesting that the enemy tactics were, while not complicated, were to some degree thought out to protect getting past the beach to anyone who might show up.

Koushiro and Tentomon are still making their way towards the group.

The little character things throughout the episode were all great, with Jou sort of playing the out of his sorts boob (although to his credit, he is never 'not' trying and worrying about the others.) Mimi complaining about her towel (which Palmon reveals was not her towel) was fun, and we got lots of great facial expressions from everyone this time around.

And hey, Gabumon got an evolution sequence. And everyone else got spinny color orbs for quicky evolutions.

Really a good and enjoyable episode, and it looks like next episode will have more battles, and based on the end of the episode, some extra exposition?

Notus

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Gabumon got his evo sequence, now everyone else can get theirs. :p Talking about it,the sequence is pretty fitting for him, as Gabumon's pelt becomes the outer mesh for Garurumon. It's basically what's been discussed/theorized once in the Evo thread about this digivolution.

Everyone's personalities seem to be better developed in this series, I dig Palmon's sass. Anther good point, imo, is how the crests are being show in action before being explained in-series.

Leoil01

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This episode was great i get the same feeling as dragon quest 11 these kids are in way over their head but it'll work out some how

JulieYBM

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Dang, I almost thought Garurumon would evolve when "Be the Winner" kicked in.

I really liked the set up of the enemy camp. Tanks on the shore, a sniper, a lighthouse, and a powerhouse! It felt like a 'war'.

GoldenEXP

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
YESSS
The expressions!! One of the things that got me worried is how this new show wasnt as expressive with its faces, but im very very glad to be wrong! Mimi continues being a big highlight and Joe made for some good comic relief! Sora seemed rlly cool tooo
I loved the way the fortress enemies were placed, very video game-y, lots of fun strategies and action (which are def adventures: strongest suit)
To me as long as the other characters get ther full evos someday, im fine with the orbs for a quick evo, would not like to see an episode where every character has to play their evo animation.
All in all this was an AMAZING episode, one of the best so far!!
Very excited to see whats next~

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
To me as long as the other characters get ther full evos someday, im fine with the orbs for a quick evo, would not like to see an episode where every character has to play their evo animation.
The usage of the orb is meant to make us feel better about SGDQ being virtual this summer.

Or meant to evoke an uncle spinny dervish.

Or is just an easy and quick way to keep the show moving. (It really did help the action keep moving with Palmon and Gomamon.)

But I do hope they get full evos at some point.

Quinlan58

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'm going to post a more indepth review later, but for now:

Yamato and Mimi talked with each other.

Digiforlife

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
hmm..when Garurumon started to glow I thought he was going to be the first one to digivolve to ultimate but hey it turns out to something like burst mode like Agumon burst mode from Savers.

Amandil7

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I enjoyed this ep! Good balance between character moments and action heavy scenes.

Joe stole the show for me lol, hilarious in every scene. Mimi was great too!

Finally Gabumon and his evo sequence, guess for now the main two are the only ones with those super cool looking digivolution sequences.

For a second when Garurumon started glowing I thought he was gonna digivolve again.

Next episode looks epic too from the preview. Glad most of the intros are out of the way.

ryuujinkurodou

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I really enjoyed this episode. Ok, now we can go more focus on the group story after 'everyone' (6 children) got their own introducing episode.

Azure Beast

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
what a great episode! loved seeing Gabumon back, his evolution sequence was really cool, its almost like how i imagined what his evolution sequence would look like if Gabumon were in season 3. cant wait for the next episode .

Vande

V-Tamer Vande
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Another nice well rounded episode and a good way to bring Yamato to the group.

Everyone brought something to the table.

It figured that Gabumon would get a complete evolution sequence, and like most others, I thought we were going to get WereGarurumon 'this early'.

Did anyone else find it creepy that a Tankmon's tracks were still running after they had been downed?

Looks like more info drop next ep!

Quinlan58

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Was Yamato this cool last time around? Back in OG Adventure, he always seemed more “perceived as cool” than actually cool. He was too much of an anxious mess to qualify. Maybe it’s because Takeru isn’t around this time, or because he already has a solid relationship with Gabumon, but 2020 Yamato is a lot more confident.

This wasn’t Yamato’s introduction but it certainly felt like it played the same role for his character as the previous two did for Mimi and Jou: establish it and immediately get some minor character development rolling. His arc was a fair bit more standard than the other two but they got it out of the way fast enough that I enjoyed it instead of finding it annoying like I normally would. It helps that literally everyone saw through it and was willing to work with it.

Anyway, we got Yamato. He’s cool, very cool. He cares a lot, but refuses to show it. He tries to distance himself as much as possible from the others but fails, and he’s glad to have failed by the end. He’s dumbfounded to have received help. Good start for his character arc.

Gabumon didn’t have much to him (unlike Gomamon or Tentomon, even Palmon considering she has the butler routine), but we did get more confirmation that he and Agumon know each other from somewhere. He’s also the one who explains the situation to Taichi’s group, so perhaps he’s Yamato’s voice whenever the boy doesn’t feel comfortable speaking. We’ll see.

The fight achieved the best thing it could have: it made sure everyone had a role and a time to shine. Yamato was the obvious star, up to and including throwing his cloak at the Solarmon to block their light, but Taichi and Sora weren’t much behind, gaining points with how comfortable they were in a supporting position. Gomamon and to a lesser degree Palmon had some good non-battle contributions, which makes them feel like more complete characters than Piyomon and Agumon. The final “friendship boost” against Gorimon was well done.

Anyway, other observations:
  • We’ve settled on roles for the main cast (minus Yamato): Taichi leads at every point, Sora seconds him and is pretty observant herself, Mimi does “girly” stuff in the background that is played as completely charming rather than annoying, and Jou has the normal reactions people would have, but over-the-top. As far as the digimon go, Agumon and Piyomon do whatever their partners do, but Palmon is always trying to help Mimi or Jou and Gomamon flipflops between being worried about Jou and playfully teasing him.
  • Taichi was, as ever in this series, pretty much the perfect leader for the group, taking lead whenever needed, knowing when to defer to Yamato’s experience, making sure Jou didn’t feel ashamed of his surrender attempt, perfectly okay with playing a supporting role. He thrives in combat situation, even his fear when faced with Gorimon being forgotted quickly. I do worry about how he will develop, but in the meantime he's good.
  • I'm 99% sure it's just me overthinking it, but Sora seemed noticeably more worried than the others when the situation in Tokyo was mentioned. I have a feeling she’s not going to deal with the eventual pressure well.
  • Not much Koushiro, other than him making more exposition and trying to not make Jou feel inadequate (and failing).
  • The humor with Jou wasn’t to my liking, but it does help that it all comes from reactions and decisions that, while certainly over-the-top, are rooted in understandable insecurities and fears. So, bad humor, good characterization.
  • Mimi’s precious as ever, and she and Jou are established as the “normal” ones of the group. Well, not everyone can be an ultimate badass, or Koushiro.
  • Gabumon’s attack wasn’t capable of overpowering the Tankmon’s missiles, but it was capable of overheating them and causing them to explode. This repeats itself with the Gorimon, making him the first digimon to have been killed since the first 3 episodes.
  • That howl was awful. Sorry, no if or buts about it.
  • Sora’s introduction to Yamato was a bit too significant-seeming to me. Boy looked shook from it.
If this is how a "regular" episode of this series will be, then I'm here for it.

Next episode, Koushiro finally joins, Ogremon is back, and we get our first Perfect-level. What are the odds that MetalTyranomon is the same one who just got shoved out of a cliff?

EDIT: Gorimon would have won if he had the help from last week's Gesomon. Silly Gorimon.

Last edited:

Rockapheller

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I like the adventure so far. The group doesn't waste episodes of stuff to advance in their journey unlike how Dragon Ball has always been like. Things are straight to the point unlike what Pokémon is often like. Things are getting carried away. It could have been a better show for binge watching, though. My problem with the first three episodes was that a lot of action and flashy stuff were happening while we had little to none info as to what was the deal actually. It might not be a big problem for people who watched the original series as well, but I am not one of them and as a new watcher, I had many plot holes in my head. However, ever since the introduction of other characters and them joining the group, things seem to be happening in a more sensible way. Except for one episode, the animation seems to be handled great from the beginning.

antoniorand

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I can't express how good Mimi is in this series

Sparrow Hawk

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
How long we have to wait for Birdramon's Evolution transformation? She evolved more often than Greymon since allied up with Taichi's...
I want justice for Meteor Wing animation...

Gabumon evolving to Garurumon was very freshing to watch! But it kinda felt a bit weak compared to Greymon?

It's pretty much usual to see how heroic teams work together but I didn't think Gorimon and Solarmon were such scary sniping team! DarkTyranomon vs Greymon at finally I always wanted to see that battle! MY WISH GOT GRANTED

lol at Mimi doing hair braids on Ikkakumon. I find it weird all Adult levels on this team got resized. To be same size as Ogremon?

While Greymon and Birdramon went off to distract them, Togemon and Ikkakumon skyrocketed their killcounts on poor Tankmon armies! As if it's like to make up since they barely have any enemies to fight solo in Adventure Not-2020.

Hmm still no signs of how Gorimon and the others got manipulated or "evil" like Ogremon (?).

Demetrius95

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Very nice episode. It felt like a nice middle ground episode, being somewhat action packed but also giving a little bit of plot, a filler episode that didn't really feel like one. I liked the interactions between the kids and the Digimon, they're doing something different and showing more of their personalities. I am still mad that no one else but the two "protagonists" got the cool evolution, at this point I have to make peace with the fact that we will never have the rest of the evos. But I have to say gabumon's was a lot better than agumon's.