Digimon Adventure: Episode 65- The Great Catastrophe, Negamon

Vande

Roll Roll, Critical, Critical
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This is the episode discussion thread for Episode 65, The Great Catastrophe, Negamon

An extended version of the episode preview from the end of episode 64.

Episode 65 airs Sunday, September 12th, 9am in Japan.

The simulcast for Crunchyroll is shortly after at:
Saturday, September 11th, 7:30pm in California (Pacific)
Saturday, September 11th, 10:30pm in New York (Eastern)
Sunday, September 12th, 3:30am in the UK

If your time isn't included in the short list above this link will take you to an easy to use time converter so you check yours.

The show can be watched on the following:
(Most countries) Crunchyroll Series Page
(US only) VRV Series Page
(AU only) Anime Lab Series Page

The license that Hulu has only currently covers up to episode 49. Prior episodes are still there, but nothing past that:
(US only) Hulu Series Page

No spoilers past this episode and no posting before the episode is commonly available for most people at the simulcast times listed above (if you are posting about the episode trending on social media in Japan, feel free to post about that.) You can discuss any next episode previews if they are shown at the end of the episode.

Feel free to join us in the Discord if you want to chat about the episode.

Attachments

• article_ep65preview07_september11_2021.jpg
    article_ep65preview07_september11_2021.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 13,854

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Patamon sitting on Takeru's head is the proper way for all Digimon to start.

Hearing from Digimon they've met before while the voice that looks like Space Invaders is going to swallow everyone is a way to start things off past that.

And as everyone gets the scene by scene "Let's do it" Jou gets one of the better ones, which is nice.

Mimi's face when they woke up in the otherspace was great. lol

I'm not generally a fan of the design of Negamon overall, it has a bit too much of a 'generic squid' look. Although I do like the weird LED panel things underneath it.

The setup for Negamon felt like they were gonna line it up roughly like Apocalymon, and they sort of swerved a bit.

Having Negamon and the Algomon be the 'opposite' of the Digivices was interesting.

And then we get Garbemon setting up the ultimate version of his launcher to launch the Digimon. Tailmon saying for them to change direction when they clearly can't was good.

The overall setup lines up with what we've found out recently. Negamon wants the end of 'everything'.

Komondomon saves all and the awesome music starts with him. Go Komondomon go!

Blowing up right out of Algomon as an interesting way to take evolving in the show.

Ending on the ominous crack without anything further was actually a pretty good place to end a multipart story on this time.

Eitaroutarouman

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Sorry, I kinda zoned out halfway through. What'd I miss? Oh, Negamon is exactly as uninteresting as I expected and Algomon went down in a really poorly animated fight. Good. At least the Megas got to pretend they're relevant one last time before you-know-who saves the day.

CloneWarrior

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
So let's see if I've got this straight: There are two naturally opposing forces in the Digital World representing creation and destruction, which are normally in balance. But both forces reached out to the Human World for additional power, and there was so much negative data in the network that the force of destruction grew so strong it intends to consume everything?

Tarama

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
That could've cut this episode for some points. It's dragging.
I think they want the expected Alter S to get the Koshiro Character Introduction so that they add one more episode.

AppliFang

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
lol Episode was kinda boring xD
Doggo Cannon was my fav part ^^

Nothing new but a little disappointed that Augmon and Gabumon were shown most of their evo sequence while the others got the orb affect. They did get some champion to ultimate evo but when they got to mega they all had "glowing laser evo" while Agu (nothing new) and Gabu (didnt really do much) got so much screen evo screentime... ><

Ragnalord

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This episode is great, the info dump was great and now we know why children appeared digital world and why negamon wants to do the things it does.

Ghalheart

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Not bad, not amazing, but exactly what I expect from an episode that's basically setting the stage for the finale for the series.

Komondomon and Gerbemon with the last-minute save was a nice touch; that, and the ominous crack in the human world showing up in the sky by the episode's end.

While I kinda liked the exposition from Algomon that more-or-less explained the whole plot of why everyone's there as they are (along with the fact that he's slowly disintegrating within the void while being a harbinger of ending all existence), much of the dialogue was everyone saying each other's names, saying their evolutions, peppered with a couple good quips here and there.

On a related note, I do like the fact that Negamon and the Chosen Children are literally established as a conflict beyond "light and darkness;" rather, it's battle between "total destruction" and "the will to survive" that pulls from the same outside source known as "humanity." I know this is nothing new in the Digimon franchise, but I'm a sucker for that kind of juxtaposition you see from games like the FINAL FANTASY franchise.

So, now all that remains is the last(?) episode. This is probably where the animation budget is going up a few notches, and of course Omegamon is making one more appearance in the series. Beyond that, I'm eagerly awaiting to see how everything pans out.

Digiforlife

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This series really feels like Negamon, a total bland, typical "villain" with no relatable motives...yhe ending is now so clearly predictable and not surprised if it ends up as one of the worst digimon series endings...

trueVenett

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
wow they keep dragging the first half and do not give the rest of the digimon a proper last mega evolution for this series is so disappointing~

Last edited:

Amandil7

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
A pretty standard final boss introduction + adventure and digivolution montage.

Once again, things came together nicely. Showing the areas and Digimon we've encountered was a good way of rounding things up.

How cute was it seeing Holy muffins Lopmon, Patamon and Gatomon together in one frame! Komondomon was adorable too, give this doggo all the treats!

Algomon gave voice to another (as of yet) voiceless villain. I've enjoyed 2020 but it has been sorely lacking in the villain department! Aside from Devimon and Ogremon we've mostly faced silent monsters & that will remain a huge criticism of this series. I'm worried Negamon will be more of the same.

That being said, I liked the symmetry of the negativity flowing through the net as a counter to the crests with both the creative and destructive forces reaching out to the human world.

I wish they showed more clips of the Megas digivolving since we won't get to spend much time with them unfortunately but this was quite nice. Any time the Great Angels appear I squeal!

All in all, a great way to start off Negamon's arc.

Digitama

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This series really feels like Negamon, a total bland, typical "villain" with no relatable motives...yhe ending is now so clearly predictable and not surprised if it ends up as one of the worst digimon series endings...

All devas and d-reaper forms are bland and boring

eldonlesley

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
And I was hoping HAngemon would do heaven's gate, but no

Lord Bearmon

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Their evolution is what killed the enemy, and not their attack moves. While it's a minor disappointment, I think it's understandable if they want to save it for the next episode because repeating it again would be boring too.
Was hoping for Komondomon to evolve into an air plane doggo to carry them into the white space, but oh well XD

Darklabo

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Tailmon: We finally meet, Comrade Archangel.
Lopmon: Long time no see, baby.

A correct episode, which tells what it has to say, without much surprise.
Negamon is therefore the very incarnation of Nothingness, I guess that in terms of power it must place him quite high in the hierarchy of villainous Digimon, but in terms of personality he’s just a Milleniummon 2.0, which himself wasn’t really different from previous Bosses.

Liked the return of Zeed theme when the Digidestined meet Negamon though.

In the end, no Argomon Ultra. I'm not surprised, but I wonder what was the use of bringing Argomon back. Deathmon could very well have acted as Negamon's messenger in his place.

By the way, am I the only one who wonders what happened to the Zurumons Izzy was chasing during the Devimon arc ?

JungleTrooper

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Quite a boring episode, and I expected more from Negamon, but we just got a vague monologue from his mouthpiece Algomon. It also seems that the Negamon we've seen is a baby-Digimon (Wikimon tweeted something about this). So, the people pointing out the difference between the big-mouth 'Negamon' (maybe Kuzurumon) and the big-eye Negamon (which looks like a Tsumemon, by the way) were probably correct.

Rohan

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It's all coming to a head for the final battle, very exciting. Komondomon proving why he is best doggo with firing himself into the sky to help. The jumping through the stages of Evolution to show how far the crew have come was epic and when all eight Megas gathered together for the first time since the Ancient War was awesome. Sad to see Algomon go as he was pretty cool but at least his death scene was epic, now all that remains is beating the man behind the man, Negamon himself.

I don't believe it, is Leomon really going to go the distance and not die this time!? :ROFLMAO:

Dynamicmon

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It's a final villain of a digimon series. I don't know how many, if any, have had relatable motives. Mostly been domination/destruction or a directive that's gone overboard.

JungleTrooper

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It's a final villain of a digimon series. I don't know how many, if any, have had relatable motives. Mostly been domination/destruction or a directive that's gone overboard.
That's why it would've been nice to see something different, for a chance.

Although I personally understood Yggdrasil's AI-like motivations from Savers, what with Kurata's destruction and all.

Ricardolindo

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I have mixed feelings on this episode. On one hand, I liked the explanation about Negamon and the Great Catastrophe. On the other hand, it was rather boring and the fight with Algomon was poorly animated.
I wonder: Was the Digimon at the end of episode 57 Deathmon or Negamon?