Digimon Adventure: Episode 64- The Angels' Determination

Vande

Roll Roll, Critical, Critical
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This is the episode discussion thread for Episode 64, The Angels' Determination

An extended version of the episode preview from the end of episode 63.

Episode 64 airs Sunday, September 5th, 9am in Japan.

The simulcast for Crunchyroll is shortly after at:
Saturday, September 4th, 7:30pm in California (Pacific)
Saturday, September 4th, 10:30pm in New York (Eastern)
Sunday, September 5th, 3:30am in the UK

If your time isn't included in the short list above this link will take you to an easy to use time converter so you check yours.

The show can be watched on the following:
(Most countries) Crunchyroll Series Page
(US only) VRV Series Page
(AU only) Anime Lab Series Page

The license that Hulu has only currently covers up to episode 49. Prior episodes are still there, but nothing past that:
(US only) Hulu Series Page

No spoilers past this episode and no posting before the episode is commonly available for most people at the simulcast times listed above (if you are posting about the episode trending on social media in Japan, feel free to post about that.) You can discuss any next episode previews if they are shown at the end of the episode.

Feel free to join us in the Discord if you want to chat about the episode.

Attachments

• article_ep64preview08_september3_2021.png
    article_ep64preview08_september3_2021.png
    436.4 KB · Views: 16,260

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Starting on silence and Algomon is certainly a way to go. Plus a bunch of Soundbirdmon.

And then the episode just kicks right to Devimon. It's kind of amusing to have him just go FNAAHHHH, TRY AND STOP THE BAD GUYS and then he's just done. (Although nice to see the 'regal' version of DoneDevimon we've seen in card art and elsewhere in the show once.)

Hikari and Tailmon got the discount tickets apparently. The squeaking noise made it better.

Garbemon battling, telling Wisemon to stop it for the time being. Nice to see them again. Would have preferred seeing more of them to be honest. And hey look, Pegasmon is back again.

Wow... the PSX Golemon. That's certainly a Digimon to have cameo.

And the crests are all lit up and shiny.

Over 20 years to see Priest Mode in animation. Even if it was just for a moment, was something super nice to get.

Ophanimon stabbed him and then we get the evil spiel.

And the crests zap the kids and go flying away. And we see the evil squid.

Not a bad way to start the beginning of the end.

On top of the visual cameos of Digimon from throughout the series, a number of actors came back to play them again.

And Volcano Ota also was in the episode, as the voice of Deathmon.

Last edited:

YongYoKyo

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The evolution sequences for the angels were great, especially the unexpected Priest Mode cameo. What was even more unexpected was the PS1 Golemon cameo. Never thought they'd ever use it again.

I enjoy the whole eldritch god vibe that's going on with Negamon, what with the whole pure-white portal like it's the coming of the Rapture. The Soundbirdmons turning out to be Deathmon from the war is a nice surprise.

lucemonbr

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Great animation, I liked they didn't waste any second in all whole episode. Finally 2 decent evolution animation with 30 seconds each. Pity they didn't explained about each crest yet and Ghoulmon didn't talk nothing.

Good references with Frontier "Trailmon and kettle" (Frontier movie) and when the Final enemy exploted the egg it was a reference to Lucemon reborn as well.

taz111

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Wow, this episode was amazing! Great to see Devimon back and get a full run-up on his line. Just mind-blowing to see Preist mode during the Mega evolution of MagnaAngemon that was a real treat with his amazing transformation. Ophanimon's evolution was nice too with her showing off her Javelin skills. They are super powerful these two and I loved how they showcased that. And here I thought Deathmon was the real final boss who evolves in Negamon haha. Can't wait for episode 65. I wonder if we'll get Episode breakdowns for the final two episodes.

Ragnalord

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This episode was overall great and epic to

UltraMan

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Two digievolutions in one episode and they long more than 3 seconds??? I didn't expect that, shocked 🤣
Angewomon from seductive to conservative.

Taichi-Mon

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
need two angels to beat deathmon? does that mean he's as strong as milleniumon?🤔

Notus

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I really liked how they used the ribbons during Angewomon's evolution sequence to invoke the classic representation of an Ophan.

Ghalheart

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This was an excellent prelude to the "end."

I think one of the strongest aspects of this series has come forth in this episode, in that almost everything has been hinted at, silhouettes and all, from way early on in the series. From the Soundbirdmon being the catalyst to Deathmon, to the weird cycloptic squid-like Digimon going from "it's probably a future threat in an episode" to "it's actually the final boss in some shape or form."

Hearing both Seraphimon and Ofanimon reference their mantra of Hope and Light respectively was a nice touch prior to them fighting Deathmon, along with the obscure Digimon trivia in full display here (people already mentioned Golemon-PS1/PSX variant, which is about as obscure as it gets, but Deathmon going from grey to black was a nice touch).

So yeah, an episode on its own is kinda "alright," but within the context of the story arc provides a nice reward for everyone who's been following the story thus far. Can't wait to see what happens when Negamon makes their official debut as the Great Catastrophe begins. :D

Dynamicmon

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
need two angels to beat deathmon? does that mean he's as strong as milleniumon?🤔
two angels who 2 shot the eye monster as opposed to a couple continent sized overcharged dragons to match up to millennium
wouldnt call that 'as strong'

Digiforlife

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
They finally did Seraphmon & Ophanimon some justice! For the final boss fight I'm hoping everyone with their Megas fight together with strategies not solely relying on Omegamon (possibly Alter-S)...

Mattman324

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Not just Golemon Original, but Holyangemon Priest Mode during the evolution! Goddamn, that was nice.

AppliFang

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
MagnaAngemon Priest Mode was a really nice touch!!!

Ofanimon's evo seq was waaay longer and better than Seraphi...plus her cage thingy was a nice callback to Frontier (even that mini trailmon too lol)

DW1 Data Golemon was really cool ^O^

Imperial

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Really fun episode. You know what was low key fire. The sound effects they used for the egg shattering at the end of the episode. That felt like some 1980s 1990s sound effects.

My only real nitpick with the episode is that Hikari and Takeru didn't get more time to defend the place before everyone else arrived. Planetary threat Deathmon? Ehh that checks out.

I saw Leomon for that second and I wanted him to run. He's so close to surviving this series.

One thing that's always caused me to mull over in Adventure 01 and Adventure 02 are the existence of other worlds. 01 had Myotismon's gate where Gennai hinted at other worlds and Our War Game let them hit the internet. 02 had the Dark Ocean, the Wish Dimension, and Takeru mentioning there is probably dozens of worlds out there. The fact that the 'White' will take over and Negamon is presumably in there just makes me think it's another world altogether. Maybe even a bit of Wild Arms 2 in here.

I miss Lopmon.

Edit: I think this is the second time the two Digivolved in the same episode and it's Hikari's partner that goes for the killing blow again.
Hikari: Good job Takeru. But you know a Yagami gotta get this kill right?

Last edited:

RyummaSama

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The fact that the episode didnt open with a recap lets you know its gonna be an important episode.

I actually enjoyed Wisemon's explanation of how all of the children's chosen aspects have allowed them to become true allies of the Digital World, and it actually kinda makes me feel better about this series as a whole; their adventure was to allow them get to the know the Digital World as well as befriend the various Digimon that inhabit it. 90% of the action takes place in the Digital World, anyway.

PS1 Golemon and Priest HolyAngemon making appearance was really a surprise, even without the fanfare.

This does feel like a good way to start the final chapter, although I do think it could've been done in less episodes for the same effect.

Chudix

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This episode was ok, not great but not bad too. Animation was awful. Only two (or three) episodes left, and Leomon ist still alive. This is unacceptable, he should die.

The best parts of this episode were PSX Golemon and HolyAngemon Priest Mode cameos.

Eitaroutarouman

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
You'd think the supposed leader of the army of darkness would've been name-dropped at least once considering his apparent importance and how he's been around since we first heard of it. The plot would be much better had they actually gave the war a flashback ep or two to flesh it out instead of being drip-fed story beats in chunks. Also, Golemon didn't get the usual name tag. Is it possible it could be renamed?

Last edited:

Sparrow Hawk

How deep the rabbit-hole goes
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
So we finally see what Crests will reveal...

Hmm? Trailmon?! That's why Trailmon Worm profile got updated with that artwork! And that lousy Trailmon from the Frontier movie?!!

Soundbirmon waves were sent to destroy the Crests? No manipulations on wild random digimons? Or birthing new digimon? Weird...

Ohh Ohh?! GOLEMON DW1?!!! THIS IS FREAKING GENIUS! Trash data forming... I'd say that was genius move!

Poor Mechanorimon... Only one survived... Seriously what's up with those chosen childrens discarded them just like that... Mimi's Mechanorimon SURVIVED....

?!!! Soundbirmon massive swarms evolved to Deathmon?!!! I always thought Soundbirmon are just minions just like Picodevimon... And Deathmon was just dead one and it was only in the past... Didn't expect Deathmon actually returned!

Ohhh gray darkened to black skin... Nice.

I'm saddened this animation suffered so terrible. MetalGreymon, WereGarurumon and Deathmon's faces... Ugh

This episode was really amazing in many ways and filled with tons of surprises! Although it suffered so terrible animation... Seraphimon and Ofanimon battle against Deathmon animation needs to be at high quality animation :/

Oh come on why didn't Golemon DW1's name show up on the screen?! It bothered me also why Ofanimon's size slightly smaller than Seraphimon?!