Digimon Adventure: Episode 63- The Crest of Courage

Vande

Roll Roll, Critical, Critical
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This is the episode discussion thread for Episode 63, The Crest of Courage

An extended version of the episode preview from the end of episode 62.

Episode 63 airs Sunday, August 29th, 9am in Japan.

The simulcast for Crunchyroll is shortly after at:
Saturday, August 28th, 7:30pm in California (Pacific)
Saturday, August 28th, 10:30pm in New York (Eastern)
Sunday, August 29th, 3:30am in the UK

If your time isn't included in the short list above this link will take you to an easy to use time converter so you check yours.

The show can be watched on the following:
(Most countries) Crunchyroll Series Page
(US only) VRV Series Page
(AU only) Anime Lab Series Page

The license that Hulu has only currently covers up to episode 49. Prior episodes are still there, but nothing past that:
(US only) Hulu Series Page

No spoilers past this episode and no posting before the episode is commonly available for most people at the simulcast times listed above (if you are posting about the episode trending on social media in Japan, feel free to post about that.) You can discuss any next episode previews if they are shown at the end of the episode.

Feel free to join us in the Discord if you want to chat about the episode.

Attachments

• articleep63preview05_august28_2021.jpg
    articleep63preview05_august28_2021.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 15,323

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'm amused how they show up and Knightmon is just standing there. And not much interested in interacting.

Nice of Valkryimon to let Taichi know they're already dead, makes the conversation easier.

That Botamon has some good reflexes. Sometimes. Other times it's just sitting there. It's good at reserving energy.

Taichi talking to Botamon I liked. It felt like a combination of being friendly, and being nervous. Botamon hitting Allomon was a bit fun. As was the use of the bubbles to protect Taichi from the fire.

We had evil birds sitting around watching, now we have a good bird doing it.

The homage to the original Adventure movie was a neat little touch.

Little Omegamon origin was nice, and hey look, we get to see Millenniummon being stomped on again.

And the secret of Digimon is revealed as... Omegamon is very important. Truly wisdom no one could have guessed.

I liked that we don't get an answer to what the exactly the dream was, not exactly. It's left to everyone.

Ghalheart

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
And the secret of Digimon is revealed as... Omegamon is very important. Truly wisdom no one could have guessed.

YYYYUP. :D

Half-jokes aside, I thought it was a neat episode that did a fine job reminding everyone that Taichi is the embodiment of courage in this series - that it's less about "discovering" his courage so much so as he is proving it to somebody important to the mission.

Animation seemed kinda wonky here and there, but I understand that since we're getting close to the end of the series, the budget is obviously going to the spectacle of the final episodes. But yeah, that particular art-style shift of Botamon becoming the first movie version of Agumon and Greymon was an unexpected (but welcome) callback.

Anyways, now that everyone's got their Crests, I'm looking forward to the impending evil that's about to appear...

Digitama

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I noticed in the next encyclopedia they showed Seraphimon, so does that mean that Seraphimon and Ophanimon won't appear together?

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Maybe, but they only ever do one Digimon at a time anyway.

I liked the atmosphere/setting of this episode. And it was nice seeing Botamon being so expressive (and cute).

Eitaroutarouman

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
So the past twelve episodes all lead to us learning basically what we already knew? Yaaaaaaaaaaaaay... This finale better be worth the monotony. At least the return of movie Greymon was a cute cameo.

Tarama

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I love the homage really. It's great.

Contrary to last week eps, I love this eps so much. I didn't expect anything and it turns out so good. This eps tells more what I think I need to hear from last week eps.

What I also like about this eps is in the past, it is Omegamon who defeated Zeed. It's like doing him justice after WarGreymon's spirit bomb thingy.

Three episodes to go. It's been ups and downs, but let's hope this series ends in a good narrative.

MagicBox

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I haven't been doing a good job of keeping up; how many of these "I'm someone from the old days of the war and now I'm here to guide you on your quest" characters have we gotten so far? Has it just been this Valkyrimon, plus the mysterious voice from episode five?

Because if Valkyrimon is voiced by Rio Natsuki (Miyako's original actress) and the mysterious voice in episode five was Yuto Kazama (Yamato's original actor) and Ai Maeda (Mimi's original actress), part of me kinda-sorta wants to hope they're planning more of these types of characters voiced by the original cast. But with so few episodes left I probably shouldn't get my hopes up...

RyummaSama

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Rio Natsuki did an excellent job as Valkyriemon (kinda wished Shakkoumon had Megumi Urawa as a voice actress lol).

I think, of all the Tai episodes, this one stood out and carried itself well; mostly because the other ones kinda just made this arc drag out longer than it needed to be. This episode worked well for Tai's characterization as well as his role as the #maincharacter.

Botamon was very cute and expressive, although the sequence of Koromon turning into Agumon specifically was kinda...off-putting.

Also the homage to the Digimon Adventure movie was nice and made me teary-eyed out of pure sentimentality. The shot of Tai facing Greymon, a giant Agumon, and Koromon hugging Tai's face, all of it was good.

Eitaroutarouman

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I haven't been doing a good job of keeping up; how many of these "I'm someone from the old days of the war and now I'm here to guide you on your quest" characters have we gotten so far? Has it just been this Valkyrimon, plus the mysterious voice from episode five?
If being alive doesn't disqualify it, Lopmon and Gatomon.

AppliFang

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Interestinglly Seraphi has green aura instead of yellow now....like in 02?

At least Gigasmon kinda finally appeared too haha

Lilimonblooms

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I didn't like this episode at all, I think it doesn't fit for an episode near the end.
I wish there was more action.

Amandil7

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This episode had some stunning visuals. The Ancient battle was finally shown in its entirety and it looked epic! I was kinda disappointed last week with Shakkoumon's flashback because I expected more, but this one fleshed it out nicely.

Seraphimon & Ophanimon looked so damn cool smacking Milleniummon. Those were my favorite parts! Interesting that they gave Seraphimon a green aura instead of yellow! Some strong 02 vibes there.

The main draw for me this episode was Valkyrimon, would have loved to see it in the flashback and not just as a silhouette. Using Freyja/Flare worked though! The whole mythos of Valkyries is to choose warriors to lead to Valhalla, so using it to test Taichi was fitting! Would've loved to see the other Mega Holy Digimon too aside from the one frame we keep on getting.

Omnimon being the key would've worked had they not shown him already in episode 2 & 3 plus against Nidhoggmon. As a reveal it was obviously very very predictable and underwhelming plus 60 episodes too late!

Gigasmon finally had a tiny cameo lol, Gulfmon & Gaioumon too!

All in all, this one worked well in rounding up Adventure 2020 & Taichi's journey (both synonymous really), before the final battle commences. I enjoyed the full flashback however late it may be.

robiu013

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Guys, we need to send our thoughts and prayers to defeat the great catastrophe! lol

Otherwise the episode was okay.

Taichi and Botamon connecting almost felt like one of those character establishing moments, that this series just won't give us. Characters just don't interact in meaningful or "human" ways in this show.

Ricardolindo

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I think this episode was good. Knightmon was an interesting character as he wasn't really interested in interacting. Taichi's adventure with Botamon was nice, they helped each other. Taichi showed his courage. I wonder what it actually was. My guess is a simulation created by Valkyrimon which the bird is able to watch. Now, let's move on to the Great Catastrophe.

Last edited:

Sparrow Hawk

How deep the rabbit-hole goes
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Didn't expect Botamon is actually "Courage" light and it was part of Valkyrimon's trial.

Ah so Gigasmon was there and... Dead in the ancient war. Oh also double Gulfmon! Against MetalGarurumon! lol how funny not too long time he got mentioned for being "Lost" digimon. I wish Mephismon could evolve to combat against MetalGarurumon in the first appearance rather than Machmon's episode but whatever....

So the ancient war finally got shown up. So Omegamon, Ofanimon and Seraphimon defeated ZeedMillenniummon? Not the whole "ally" army? How disappointing but that's Omegamon for you besides Archangels.

If only this episode comes with much greater hi quality animation, the war should be much awesome to witness.

Valkyrimon's trial really reminded me of Sonic's Creepy Internet sides....

I didn't expect the movie Greymon and movie Agumon to re-appear! lol nice reference!

Rohan

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
All the Lore! Was not expecting that in this episode. Was cool to see Valkyriemon make its debut after how long. Got a lot of vibes from the original Adventure movie what with Taichi taking care of a Botamon and for it to evolve into Greymon to save the day - all he needed was a whistle lol. We finally get an explanation for Omegamon's appearances though we still lack the name being stated. The last of the Crests has been obtained, all that awaits is the climax against the man behind the curtain...

Only three episodes left huh, I'm going to miss this show. :(

Taurus

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I noticed in the next encyclopedia they showed Seraphimon, so does that mean that Seraphimon and Ophanimon won't appear together?
Goddramon was also alone on the encyclopedia, but, Holydramon also appeared, so at the end of that episode, Holydramon appeared on the encyclopedia

Digitama

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Goddramon was also alone on the encyclopedia, but, Holydramon also appeared, so at the end of that episode, Holydramon appeared on the encyclopedia
Yeah right, i forgot that.

Mattman324

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
ZYlvq8v.png

Ha ha.

I really do wish that the random, out of nowhere reference to Movie Agumon and Movie Greymon lasted a bit longer, as those forms are still my favorite and while I understand that every Digimon show has to reference them at least once the others don't usually make it a twenty second fight. Also would have been nice if Taichi wasn't literally monofocused on since he breached into everyone else's episodes, but that's to be expected of Adventure: I guess.

(Also, Omegamon being the great power that saves the world would probably flow better pacingwise if the last time we'd seen him wasn't forty episodes prior)