Digimon Adventure: Episode 61- A Place to Return To

Vande

Roll Roll, Critical, Critical
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This is the episode discussion thread for Episode 61, A Place to Return To

An extended version of the episode preview from the end of episode 60.

Episode 61 airs Sunday, August 15th, 9am in Japan.

The simulcast for Crunchyroll is shortly after at:
Saturday, August 14th, 7:30pm in California (Pacific)
Saturday, August 14th, 10:30pm in New York (Eastern)
Sunday, August 15th, 3:30am in the UK

If your time isn't included in the short list above this link will take you to an easy to use time converter so you check yours.

The show can be watched on the following:
(Most countries) Crunchyroll Series Page
(US only) VRV Series Page
(AU only) Anime Lab Series Page

The license that Hulu has only currently covers up to episode 49. Prior episodes are still there, but nothing past that:
(US only) Hulu Series Page

No spoilers past this episode and no posting before the episode is commonly available for most people at the simulcast times listed above (if you are posting about the episode trending on social media in Japan, feel free to post about that.) You can discuss any next episode previews if they are shown at the end of the episode.

Feel free to join us in the Discord if you want to chat about the episode.

Attachments

• article.jpg
    article.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 16,444

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Taichi and Agumon being the starting point and them seeing what's going on from the distance worked better than them showing up at random. Especially Leomon's welcome and them seeing Takeru and Patamon working so hard.

Mentioning os many Digimon trying to find new homes after the events that have happened, along with explaining away Lopmon not being there using that worked decently.

Gravimon got a nice bastard guy intro, just ignoring Leomon and floating off. And Greymon and Leomon trying to act as engines instead of just pushing was fun, as was MetalGreymon trying to pull him.

Having Elecmon be the one that started the 'everyone showing up to help and think about what to do' was a nice touch, especially with Yasuhiro Takato returning to play him once again.

Monzaemon showing up and Takeru commenting on it being the real one feels like a callback that didn't go far enough. (A big Monzaemon at that.)

Takeru's reasoning for why he woudln't give up and kept trying to help was well done, even if it was, overall, a pretty quick scene.

Lots of nice Digimon cameos in that one.

On top of Gravimons voice returning, which we knew...

Yasuhiro Takato returns as Elecmon
Mami Horikoshi makes another Adventure: appearance, this time as KaratukiNumemon
Ryosuke Asano makes another Adventure: appearance, credited as Goburimon, even though he was Shamamon. They likely used the same model sheet and the person who put the credits together was unaware.
Various other Digimon aren't credited specifically by name, just as being refugees.

Last edited:

Eitaroutarouman

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'm gonna be real with you, this was one of the most boring episodes this show has produced. I like the concept of TK helping one of the first Digimon he encountered, but whoo boy, watching everyone pull a turtle for 15 minutes got stale quickly. It felt like the last few minutes only existed just to give us some kind of action. Gravimon NOT being a crocodile murderer this time was a nice twist, but his execution was awful. He spends 60% of the ep in cocoon form (did he do that in Xros Wars?) not saying a peep, then a single convo with TK and he has a change of heart? At least have him make those comments like summary said he would. Also, where the Digimon Leomon saved that helped during the Milleniumon fight? The Mon-Mon Park victims were seen, but Jagamon and the others were no-shows.

Last edited:

Amandil7

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The numerous cameos made this otherwise slow paced episode much more vibrant! Using Elecmon was especially cute. Nice to see them address the damage Milleniummon caused, it makes the Digital World seem more real seeing how all these Digimon were left homeless.

The idea of these 2 boys and some Digimon trying to push a giant fortress turtle up a mountain was kinda ridiculous lol but the relentlessness of Takeru made it work.

Takeru's tiny moment with Gravimon where he mentioned the time he wished he could return to (pre-divorce) but knows he can't, really pulled at my heart strings! :')

Eldoradimon actually sprouting wings and flying as a result of a miracle really embodied Hope. We all knew Seraphimon's silhouette was coming in this one. My excitement for his eventual appearance is immense!

Digiforlife

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
What a waste with Gravimon! These kinds of episodes will easily turn people off. I'm not surprised if lots of people end up with Adventure fatigue after this...

Notus

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I don't think the episode was outright bad, but it was pretty meh. The ridiculouness of a small kid and an even smaller Digimon trying to basically push an island was something else. No Heaven's Gate as speculated, but the wings buff worked, alongside Gravimon's abilities.

So, are they trying to give us a in-universe reason for the Taichi wandering? He starting to piece why the Crests activate makes sense, as the only one who saw most (all?) of the others. I'm guessing it'll be because he's the one who will take more effort to feel/realize what he needs? BEcause of low self-awareness?

Bartz

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This episode was OK, most of the episode's visuals being used on the group pulling ElDoradimon up the mountain did make things tedious, but I do appreciate the use of Takeru's signature trait here. The desire and tenacity of the turtle to return hope supported by Takeru's desire to help him return did give the episode a good thematic of inspiring the others who lost their homes and allow their hope to push through what seems impossible, and it culminating in turning the biggest skeptic in Gravimon into a surprise helper was a good way to wrap things up there. It all thematically makes sense and works for the character, it's just that the way it plays out does understandably make things feel dull.

Also, I agree with the previous post that I liked the use of cameos here. Gravimon was the promoted appearance, but seeing those like Dracomon pop up was pretty neat and gave a little more to look forward to on the screen. It made things a little less repetitive, which was needed in an episode like this.

RyummaSama

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This a rather low-stakes episode, like the Hououmon debut, but nonetheless it works great for character development, which I think Adventure: needs. We've got plenty of "beat the bad guy" episodes.

It's always nice to see Takeru develop into a mature independent leader, its always been his character track even in the 90s. Also, we finally get to see the faces of Natsuko and Hiroaki, I know that we as Digimon fans know they already exist, and we only got a glimpse of them in the Opossumon episode, but this series doesn't really develop the relationships of the characters with their families since so much of the plot takes place in the Digital World.

I think Taichi's inclusion in this episode worked really well, especially since it started with him stumbling across the plot rather than just showing up randomly. It also shows that Taichi has realized the compasses aren't pointing towards specific locations, but rather something else that hasn't really been spelled out.

TL;DR: This episode was a nice low-stakes episode that worked great for T.K.'s character development.

Geode

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I like this episode it got to show off Digimon like Penguinmon and Weedmon that never appear yet in anime, I didn’t know fist of the beast king can be used like that.

Also my favorite dragon Dracomon my a return now all we need is Wingdramon and Slayerdramon in anime and Monzaemon is huge.

And I was surprised Gravimon is good in this.

Lilimonblooms

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Very boring, I liked sunflowmon's appearance.
I wished there was a fight for holyangemon
The concept is not acceptable in a finale episodes.

eldonlesley

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The writer really hates HolyAngemon I guess,

He didn't get to use any yelled attack, not even heaven's gate, since Tri, Kizuna, and now, and hey Seraphimon just used the attack on Tri and didn't even shout it.. meh

But overall, rather an interesting episode with great climax at the end.

lucemonbr

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
shame, it was the most bored episode ever. 20 minutes trying to push a turtle. This is unacceptable and I don't think we will see holyangemon in action again.

robiu013

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Lol, this new Takeru is like the most reckless character in any Digimon series ever.

He keeps meat shielding everybody with his overlong arms, rides Pegasusmon doing loopins without a seatbelt and now he thinks it's a good idea to push a city-sized turtle up a slippery hill, as if he's actually contributing to ElDradimon's climb.

Stop indulging him in his reckless games, Taichi. None of the Digimon helping the push actually contributed to ElDradimon almost reaching the top, the Digimon was literally just lucky it didn't slip in it's final attempt, lol.

Ricardolindo

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I think this episode was good. The premise of Takeru wanting to get ElDoradimon back to the Cloud Continent was interesting. Admittedly, things got boring. Gravimon was an interesting character but I think he should have been explored better. It was nice for them to insert Taichi right at the beginning rather than have him show up randomly.

Last edited:

TheImpster

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This episode dragged so much. TK bringing up how he feels sad about not living with his brother felt unearned. Like... It was brought up in episode 3 and from then on never talked about again! As opposed to the original series where you can tell throughout the story how much it messed those two up. And now we only have what? 5 episodes left, so there's no way they'll manage to salvage his character anymore anyway. Gravimon's character arc was even more rushed than Ogremon's. The only saving grace was the large variety in Digimans

Soul070

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It's NiseDrimogimon for me. Seeing him just brought back so many memories. The repetitive scene of pulling eldoradimon did get annoying tho. Seeing MagnaAngemon again was pretty cool. I'm just ready for them all to be united again. There are only 5 episodes left right? I hope they start building up for the end from now. I don't want things to end abruptly. I really love this season.

Rohan

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
A surprisingly good episode, definitely more in the vein of Sora's focus episode since there lacked any antagonist outside of nature itself. I liked how Takeru acknowledged he can't turn back the clock in regards to his broken family and so he's trying to compensate by returning Eldoradimon home instead. It was nice to see Gravimon not as a villain and instead (eventually) help out the heroes. The shot of all the Digimon together pushing Eldoradimon gave me major Axis flashbacks, complete with a shining miracle at the end that transports him to safety. Once again we don't quite get the full Mega transformation but rather the silhouette forming around the Digimon as a powerup...at least Taichi is catching on to what the Crests are about now.

Sparrow Hawk

How deep the rabbit-hole goes
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I think it's very dangerous for those childrens to help such large city sized tortoise digimon with super heavy weight on the steep hills. They can die for sure.

To be honest, it's like Takuya's idea on the moon to add "rocket boosters" combined with other weird ideas on this episode...

Not so much to say besides seeing tons of random digimon appeared there.

Ghalheart

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
S'alright episode. Was half-expecting a showdown with Gravimon at some point in the episode as a go-to means of "proving one's conviction with their fists," but Takeru's sentimental piece on wishing for a time he can't go back in order to make him more relatable to the Digimon that lost their homes worked better than expected.

That said, it looks like they're really saving Mega evolutions of the Holy Digimon for the final battle, as if showcasing Ophanimon and Seraphimon outside of silhouettes would diminish their importance for a later episode.

Speaking of angels, looks like Angewomon's not the only Holy Digimon that can buff the party! HolyAngemon granting Eldoradimon wings with the power of Red Bull Hope reinforces the idea that the Holy Digimon in this series are capable of using their power for more than combat - and that's not even counting Takeru's Digivice shining brightly as he leads the final push to get Eldoradimon up the mountain, seemingly basking everyone around with a literal glimmer of hope.

Most importantly, Leomon survives another episode! Will he outlive his predecessors and stay alive until the very end, die unceremoniously at the hand of a major villain, or go down in a blaze of glory? Place your bets, folks, because time is running out! :D