Digimon Adventure: Episode 60- Vikemon Ventures the Glaciers

Vande

Roll Roll, Critical, Critical
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This is the episode discussion thread for Episode 60, Vikemon Ventures the Glaciers

An extended version of the episode preview from the end of episode 59.

Episode 60 airs Sunday, August 8th, 9am in Japan.

The simulcast for Crunchyroll is shortly after at:
Saturday, August 7th, 7:30pm in California (Pacific)
Saturday, August 7th, 10:30pm in New York (Eastern)
Sunday, August 8th, 3:30am in the UK

If your time isn't included in the short list above this link will take you to an easy to use time converter so you check yours.

The show can be watched on the following:
(Most countries) Crunchyroll Series Page
(US only) VRV Series Page
(AU only) Anime Lab Series Page

The license that Hulu has only currently covers up to episode 49. Prior episodes are still there, but nothing past that:
(US only) Hulu Series Page

No spoilers past this episode and no posting before the episode is commonly available for most people at the simulcast times listed above (if you are posting about the episode trending on social media in Japan, feel free to post about that.) You can discuss any next episode previews if they are shown at the end of the episode.

Feel free to join us in the Discord if you want to chat about the episode.

Attachments

• article_ep60preview07_august7_2021.jpg
    article_ep60preview07_august7_2021.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 14,546
Last edited:

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Overall, I'm quite happy with this one.

It feels weird that for a second time hot springs adventures continues for an extended period. It's interesting, it just seems odd how hot springs plots seem to continue on. It allows some recurring characters, even if they don't do a ton which is interesting.

And Mimi arrives to help, and BanchoMamemon returns! Olegmon's captain shtick worked well.

Statue of a young Babamon felt unexpected, but an oddly nice touch.

Jou heroically leading them to a new land was a nice character touch, even if they don't make it on their own.

Mimi cowardly/hilariously deciding Jou was in charge when it benefited her was a good laugh. As was Jou just giving up on trying to avoid it.

It was also nice to see TonosamaGeckomon try so hard to protect everyone after being the antagonist in his prior appearance (BanchoMamemon, sans bat, also.)

Olegmon and his crew being antagonists but not villains was an interesting way to handle it, down to Olegmon apologizing for his actions 'before' he loses.

The fight was rather nice, even if it wasn't fancy (nice animation jump when Vikemon showed up though.) And Jou even got a new Digivice animation we haven't seen before (I think.)

Brubarb

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I was very pleased with this episode as well as the decent fight scenes for Ikakkumon, Zudomon and Vikemon! I also liked that Shogungekomon defended the blimp too!

Also, did you notice that 2 episodes in a row, the antagonists haven't been killed? Your complaints are working - haha!

Do you think they give Mimi and Joe good episodes because they had less screen time and relevance in the original adventure? In contrast, Izzy gets a lot of movie time, and Matt was a second main character. I hope Sora gets one more good episode!

Eitaroutarouman

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
You see, this is a fantastic episode. It has all the things I've been complaining the show lacked: good character focus on people not named, an antagonist with personality (though it's mostly taken from his Xros Wars version) and a motivation to boot, and a supporting cast (BanchoMamemon has no reason to be here and I don't even care! I'm just happy he gets to be a character.)

CloneWarrior

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
So, uh, did Jou actually follow his Digivice's compass at any point prior to earning his crest?

Geode

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Olegmon turned friend just like Xross Wars.

Notus

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I liked a lot of the visuals of Joe in this episode, from wearing his jacket bancho-style up to looking like Master Kame on top of Vikemon's head. I also found this version of Artic Blizzard better than the Tri one.

RyummaSama

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Man, this episode was SO good! I liked having Joe and Mimi play off of each other (the other episodes should've had other non-Tai kids show up, even then Tai still made his mandatory appearance in the very last minute of the episode lmao).

I really like this series' rendition of Joe, really playing up his role as the older and more responsible kid, he acts more like an actual leader than the "shonen" leaders of every other series, and they still play up his comedic side. Overall, if Joe is the focus of an episode, they play down his buttmonkey aspects which really makes him a very well-rounded character, especially compared to the others in my opinion.

Digiforlife

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I think episodes are lot better with Taichi making his cameos right at the end. But again normal services resume next week with Taichi back again (most likely just for the sake of being there) sigh....Just like Xros Wars this series has been one heck of inconsistencies...

Bartz

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Originally I was pretty meh on the continuation of the Hot Spring subplot, but the way they used it and the payoff honestly left me with a better feeling for it. Using it as a way to give Joe a group to care about and fight for made activating his crest here a lot more meaningful since we grown to know their relationship, and it helped that he had a contrast with Olegmon who had similar feelings but went about them in a different way. Speaking of which, Olegmon was used well here as while he takes many cues from his XW counterpart it worked to the story's advantage by giving him a personality and drive that was relatable, but still antagonistic enough that he had to be defeated. It all tied together well and led to a pretty good battle that showcased Vikemon and gave a satisfying conclusion.

Also, I liked the use of Mimi here. They didn't interact too much, but she was a good character for Joe to bounce off of.

trueVenett

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Whats with the short evolution sequence for these mega. Hope we see a longer version the 2nd time round when they evol, just like the their perfect stage~

Lilimonblooms

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This episode was good, but I felt that the animator was holding back.
Mimi and joe were so fun.
I wished palmon digivolved too.
The digivolution sequence was rushed and not impressive, the fight too.
I expected lillymon or rosemon too.

Last edited:

robiu013

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This episode was way too experimental. I had trouble following the plot... they actually waited till the very end for Taichi to pop up. Not ok xD

Episode was pretty decent. It still bothers me though how megas are now treated like just any champion or ultimate transformation in older series. This episode for example hardly feels anymore epic than the champion evolution episodes in the original series - episodic plot, enemy of the week, new evolution to save the day. Dunno, I really expected a bit more.

Ricardolindo

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I think this episode was good. The idea of a continuation of the hot springs plot didn't enthusiasm me but they did it well, with Jou guiding everyone out of the hot springs once they dried out. Jou and Olegmon had similar goals of saving their friends. The evolution was well done. Mimi, Palmon and Mamemon's participation was nice. Glad Taichi only appeared at the end.
At the end, did they arrive at the Cloud Continent?

TheImpster

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This episode was pretty good, but what Mimi did felt pretty out of character. In previous episodes she had no qualms picking fights with much more dangerous Digimon. Hell, banchomamemon was arguably scarier. And Palmon can turn Mega now, so I don't see why she was so scared here.

Yume

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'm so glad Joe didn't become the show's joke like we thought he'd be in the beggining. His character growth in Adventure: has been very satisfying! Battle animation was really cool too!

Can we now assume Taichi's Digivice is always pointing to different chosen children? When the compass first appeared, it was pointing in multiple directions because he was surrounded by the gang, and then when they separated, it started to point to whoever needed help next, hence Taichi appearing each week?

Rohan

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Despite not being what I thought it would be based on the episode title, I really enjoyed this episode. The OG Adventure-verse was all about that Izzy/Mimi but I am really feeling the Joe/Mimi ship here, it was hilarious when she ducked under his cloak and was puppeteering his actions as "Captain Joe". Joe himself was really good as we saw (and Gomamon explained) how he gets stronger for the sake of other people moreso than himself and how he wasn't fighting to destroy Olegmon but rather save him and his crew. The entrance of Vikemon himself was epic but like last week it is a shame the fights can't last longer but I suppose that's the weakness of having to wrap everything up in a single episode.

Next week is back to Takeru and what wait? Is the preview implying that the "miracle" he creates is Angemon evolving to Gravimon? o_O

Amandil7

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I really enjoyed this episode, it's up there along with Rosemon among my fav Mega debuts.

I love how smoothly Mimi and Joe's respective posses came along together and complimented each other. They both worked really well, Mimi puppeteering Joe was the funniest scene in this ep. I wish T.K had a similar role in the Kari episode rather than being hogged by Taichi.

The whole pirate ship and blimp on icy waters vibe suited as the perfect backdrop for this one.

Joe's growth as a reliable leader was highlighted well, I like how Olegmon wasn't motivated by ill intentions and made for a fun enemy, very much in line with ShogunGekomon and BantyoMamemon.

Vikemon showcased power worthy of a Mega whereas I felt some other debut eps such as Houomon, CresGarurumon lacked the same sense of power.

The final scene where everyone pitched their ideas for titles such as Shogun & Bantyo was so cute! Oh and Taichi was there...

Ghalheart

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Solid episode from start to finish!

It had the perfect blend of character conflict, humor, and just enough action to make what may be one of my favorite episodes of the series. :D