Digimon Adventure: Episode 6- The Targeted Kingdom

Theigno

Supper Mοderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
1) So they don't have to beat the Soundbirdmon to negate those mind control? I kinda feel pity for Tuskmon and Drimogemon, really
I would assume the absence of Soundbridmon is a sign that Ogremon is acting intelligently. Koushiro figured out that they were the key, so he might just not let them fly around carelessly near the battle. This might render him unable too control the Digimon very exactly after the initial attack order, but it seems that aside from the Drimogemon that he was riding personally, he was content to let the Tuskmon rely on brute force.
Though, there were a few mistakes in it. Like when Palmon trapped the kids. She has only 6 fingers, yet there were so many more vines than she has fingers, and also from all sides of the world which is kinda impossible to do.
It is completely possible if Palmon is able to generate sufficently long vines of ivy. The same vine could cut across the plain, then wrap behind the branches of one or more trees and then come back from another angle, where it could wrap around other trees and cross again etc. Even with less than 6 vines complex patterns would be possible. As we see when Taichi is caught several loops of vines spring out from the ground while Palmon is first shown in a tree, which means the vines were laid out on the ground and hidden in a loose pattern that pulled into a knot instead of Palmon shooting them in that moment. It being such a premeditated trap makes it more plausible that Palmon could have taken the time to wrap them back and forth between the trees, especially since she was planning to catch something Tuskmon-sized.

Finally, I kinda don't really mind this, but in the old series Koushirou had to visit a temple or talk to Gennai, or download a yet another file to increase his knowledge about the Digital World and Digimons. Here, he finds out everything all by himself. We all know that he is a weird boy, but is there a limit of how weird can he be?
I don't think he has to be weird at all considering both discoveries in the last few episodes were rather obvious. He saw the Soundbirdmon controlling Digimon with his own eyes. He noticed the time dilation on the news transmission because... a live transmission slowing down like that is very noticeable too (And I assume he noticed the slowdown increasing gradually as he was flying deeper into the net on Kabuterimon).
There wasn't much that would be added by him conveniently finding a temple about it.

Rather than adjusting the messages, the digivices adjust the Digital World itself. When they're in communication, they "underclock" the entire Digital World to match the local time of the digivice at the shallowest depth. This does seem like a lot of power to give the digivices, but maybe in this capacity they're acting more like terminals for something much more powerful at the "kernel level" or whatever.
I guess that could be the case but If the powers of good are capable of producing technology has the power to very casually (as this is not even some sort of super secret crest power) and exactly control the very laws of nature of the digital world, it just kind of feels like they could just use that power over natural laws to combat the forces of evil in a more direct way than relying on human children...

Quinlan58

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Well, that was good. Very good. Just rewatched it so here is my over-analysis.

Mimi was my favorite of the Adventure girls by quite a bit, and the reboot seems to be channeling her end-of-series version rather than the one at the start. While she's clearly playing with the Queen and servants stuff, she's also extremely serious about living up to that. She's responsible, sharp enough to realize having a digivice means she'll have to leave before anyone mentions it and to notice that the video is slowed down before Taichi or Sora, somewhat throws tantrums when she thinks she'll have to abandon the Tanemon, goes from almost crying to indulging her Queen fantasy once Taichi and Sora promise to help, self-aware and confident enough to admit she's scared and courageous enough to keep fighting anyway. Basically best girl, once again. Her idolization of her grandfather is an interesting addition, and I wonder if we'll get more exploration on her family.

Her relationship with Palmon is pretty good too. Palmon clearly indulges her during the first few scenes, but immediately drops the pretenses and honorifics once things turn dangerous. She's also perceptive enough to notice Mimi is scared, and immediately stops once Mimi stops walking in the end to look at her.

Ogremon showed some good planning. He seems to have expected the frontal assault to fail, and planned to separate all the children. He sends the Tuskmon to try for a lateral one to get Taichi and Agumon away, Coredramon seemingly baits Sora and Piyomon away from Mimi later on, then of course he always had a Drimogemon prepared, and seems to try to attack them right before the evolution triggers, as well as later tries to attack Mimi directly while Togemon is occupied. Despite the caveman dialogue, he's shown himself to be pretty smart, and his pain and shame at the end after Greymon broke his horn makes me wonder how his character will play out. Both him and Coredramon had glowing red eyes at one point, which has also been the case with every brainwashed digimon. Adds more fodder to the "Ogremon is being controlled" theory.

A couple other bullet points I wrote while rewatching the episode:
  • Taichi makes sure to not forget his original reason to come to the Digital World. He also does not immediately cheer when the tuskmon fall into the trap (unlike Agumon and Palmon), because he knows the battle is just starting. Mimi doesn't cheer either.
  • Agumon is the only one of the group who does not say he is hungry. Instead, he closes his eyes and tries to smell for food. A big change from Tri, and a welcome one.
  • Palmon and the Tanemon did not immediately notice Taichi and Sora weren't digimon. Or at least, Palmon didn't treat them as something strange. Maybe they didn't recognize they weren't digimon until Mimi saw them?
  • The Tanemon do not speak. Does anyone remember if Koromon spoke in episode 1? They clearly understand language and how Mimi is feeling, they just don't speak.
  • OST while Mimi is introducing herself sounded very stereotypically european, probably channeling them for the "Royalty" feeling.
  • Agumon and Piyomon gossiped about the Tuskmon, introducing them to us. Palmon immediately realizes what the Tuskmon plan to do, showing she knows the layout of her area. They really do feel like they've lived in this world their whole lives.
  • Sora knows who the president of Tachikawa Industries may be.
  • The throne moves from the middle of the village to directly in front of the fruit trees. Not a continuity mistake, just a curious bit that implies Mimi asked them to move it just for this fight.
  • Greymon is capable of one-shotting two Tuskmon at the same time with Mega Flame, which is consistent with last episode. He is only capable of holding them back in CQC, though.
  • Palmon did not realize the battle wasn't about the fruit until Ogremon mentions the children.
  • Palmon's evolution sequence has petals. Lilimon reference?
  • During the Greymon vs Ogremon fight, while Taichi is focused on them, Sora instead notices the fight between Togemon and Drimogemon. When Mimi stops walking at the end, Sora also knows without asking why she did.
  • Palmon devolves without explanation. I don't think we'll get an explanation of why some Adults remain on their evolved forms for a while and why some devolve immediately after the fight.
The Yamato-centric ED is starting to feel very misleading, though I guess we'll get swamped by Yamato-centric episodes eventually. As of right now, my ranking of the characters would go Taichi = Mimi > Koushiro > Yamato > (Hikari) >Sora. Next up, serious angry Jou and a V-Tamer reference episode.

Redstar45

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Weee!
My favorite episode so far!
I keep meaning to mention this but I love the title cards for each episode. They're very cool.

To me, it feels like Mimi has been our first 'departure' from the original characterization of the character. I felt the original was VERY innocent and always a step behind the older kids (and koshiro), but now she seems very capable and more acclimated than Taichi and Sora and I feel like that's reflected in her voice actress -which took a minute to get used to. Palmon, as usual, is just so charming and fantastic.I was really moved by her scream as she was hit and her conversation with Mimi while she was glitching on the floor. I admit, I thought she was gonna die for a minute. I was very relieved to get that evolution started and boy did Togemon deliver! She didn't have as much dialogue as the other adults had but there's still time!

I wonder how the introduction of Mimi's grandfather will change her family dynamic going forward. I assume we'll still meet her parents at some point, but I wonder if they'll still be a lovey-dovey pair? Her grandfather looks so stern.
This Mimi is what should be of Mimi 's characterization in 1999s anime .

Mon-Ohma

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Mmm, I thought this episode was okay. Although if this initial portrayal of Mimi is anything to go by, it does seem to indicate strongly to me that character development is not really going to factor much in this version.

Out of the original 99 cast, she went through the most significant growth over the span of the series, maturing into a better person as a result. What we're getting here from the beginning, is basically the post development characterization.
So far the reboot has been presenting the kids without any real room for expansion, or flaws to be improved on. Very quickly having them become adjusted to the situation.
The only real new thing that's been brought to the table is the introduction of her grandfather, hopefully we might get to see some interaction between the two at some point. But she does at least add some needed humour to the group dynamic.
However, I'm not about to write off any of the old incarnations so flippantly. Not this early, and certainly not until the reboot has provided more substance.

I also have this growing suspicion that only Agumon (and possibly Gabumon) will be receiving the special evolution sequences. Since the opening (and ending credits) they have been showing distinct favouritism towards Taichi and Yamato.
Admittedly it's not much of a problem for me either way, as I prefer the shorter real-time ones more.

Again, the action continues to be the main selling point, with Ogremon showing a more strategic side. I wonder if the loss of one of his horns will lead to anything down the road...
Most noticeable now is how all the first time evolutions since Birdramon have been lining up with their original episode number. So does that suggest when we might be seeing Angemon?

Redstar45

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Mmm, I thought this episode was okay. Although if this initial portrayal of Mimi is anything to go by, it does seem to indicate strongly to me that character development is not really going to factor much in this version.

Out of the original 99 cast, she went through the most significant growth over the span of the series, maturing into a better person as a result. What we're getting here from the beginning, is basically the post development characterization.
So far the reboot has been presenting the kids without any real room for expansion, or flaws to be improved on. Very quickly having them become adjusted to the situation.
The only real new thing that's been brought to the table is the introduction of her grandfather, hopefully we might get to see some interaction between the two at some point. But she does at least add some needed humour to the group dynamic.
However, I'm not about to write off any of the old incarnations so flippantly. Not this early, and certainly not until the reboot has provided more substance.

I also have this growing suspicion that only Agumon (and possibly Gabumon) will be receiving the special evolution sequences. Since the opening (and ending credits) they have been showing distinct favouritism towards Taichi and Yamato.
Admittedly it's not much of a problem for me either way, as I prefer the shorter real-time ones more.

Again, the action continues to be the main selling point, with Ogremon showing a more strategic side. I wonder if the loss of one of his horns will lead to anything down the road...
Most noticeable now is how all the first time evolutions since Birdramon have been lining up with their original episode number. So does that suggest when we might be seeing Angemon?
I do understand that feeling, but i kind like that they did not go back to pull her 90s spoiled brat personality....but i don't think that she and rest of the Chosen Children need to be a perfect too and that annoying me to see them not act like kids would do, but i do understood why they didn't wanted to go that route as they don't really wanted to replay these arcs again ...but i feel like they should show new flaw there and there and they doesn't really need drag on too long .

Last edited:

Sparrow Hawk

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I saw some of awkward animations like Birdramon's Meteor Wing again...

Drimogemon suddenly Hulk Up was the bigger WTF moment. I thought I cannot get used to the giant Coelamon until this Togemon got re-sized, slightly smaller than Drimogemon?

After reading comments here, I never realized how intelligent Ogremon is. I thought he purposely had Tuskmon rampage acting as the bait to lure them to split their allies up and he just randomly captured Drimogemon off-screen. But it does seemed like Ogremon didn't bring some Soundbirmon too closely to the battle although poor Tuskmon and Drimogemon with their unknown fates and prepared to target Mimi maybe because her digimon partner didn't evolve until now? The battles are sure becoming interesting lately but Coredramon vs Birdramon was kinda... Lame also Coredramon was oddly just "headbutting" Birdramon even had more advantages to use all his limbs unlike Birdramon who brought Sora into the battle by clinging to her leg. Honestly blue Coredramon was too awkward to watch at, knowing his evo line is all heroic...

Tanemon's "Moose Code" signals were very interesting! I wonder if Ogremon lost the horn may lead to Titamon for pure hatred? But I cannot judge on him yet. Still unknown on who is manipulating who theories...

Importantly... Agumon to Greymon evolution repeatedly is not good... I fear for this Adventure 2020 if even after Angemon lastly to show Agumon to Greymon repeatedly... I hope not. And the chosen children got used to Digital World really too fast and too chill!

Togemon vs Drimogemon battle had some animation of Giga Drill piercing heaven anime... I think I might be paranoid.

DragonicEmperor

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Is it me or is Greymon ridiculously agile/fast for a huge dinosaur?

Sparrow Hawk

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Yeah they upgraded Adventure 2020's fighting scene animations. No more fat bellied Greymon. Now it's all about the unknown man in the Godzilla suit that unleashes all his might!

But I'm surprised nobody got bothered about how Tuskmon eat? I mean instead of chewing grass, they just... Absorbing off the data of entire grass land in Tamer style to eat. I find it... Very alien.

DigiKing Tamer

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Yeah they upgraded Adventure 2020's fighting scene animations. No more fat bellied Greymon. Now it's all about the unknown man in the Godzilla suit that unleashes all his might!

But I'm surprised nobody got bothered about how Tuskmon eat? I mean instead of chewing grass, they just... Absorbing off the data of entire grass land in Tamer style to eat. I find it... Very alien.
I like that TBH. Helps the Digimon franchise stand out more.

Also, the food eating scene in Xros Wars/Fusion.

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Mimi was very different and that might be good. Wow, Did Drillmogemon and Ogremon get beat. Maybe this'll cause the latter to try to evo into something that isn't Digitamamon. Something that fits Titanmon more. Like some kind of Oni. But this was interesting. Next is Joe then I don't know what's next but I'll go check.