Digimon Adventure: Episode 58- Hikari, New Life

Vande

Roll Roll, Critical, Critical
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This is the episode discussion thread for Episode 58, Hikari, New Life

An extended version of the episode preview from the end of episode 57.

Episode 58 airs Sunday, July 25th, 9am in Japan.

The simulcast for Crunchyroll is shortly after at:
Saturday, July 24th, 7:30pm in California (Pacific)
Saturday, July 24th, 10:30pm in New York (Eastern)
Sunday, July 25th, 3:30am in the UK

If your time isn't included in the short list above this link will take you to an easy to use time converter so you check yours.

The show can be watched on the following:
(Most countries) Crunchyroll Series Page
(US only) VRV Series Page
(AU only) Anime Lab Series Page

The license that Hulu has only currently covers up to episode 49. Prior episodes are still there, but nothing past that:
(US only) Hulu Series Page

No spoilers past this episode and no posting before the episode is commonly available for most people at the simulcast times listed above (if you are posting about the episode trending on social media in Japan, feel free to post about that.) You can discuss any next episode previews if they are shown at the end of the episode.

Feel free to join us in the Discord if you want to chat about the episode.

Attachments

• aa_feature.jpg
    aa_feature.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 7,280

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The meeting up with the Digimon they knew from before was a fun way to start the episode.

Nice reminder that Hikari wasn't around for when they digitama showed up. And interesting that digitama sort of just gather in the right place on their own.

The holy ring lighting up and having a part to play was nice. As was Tailmon summoning Komondomon. Komondomon having a part to play is always a good thing.

I didn't realize they were having SkullBaluchimon be that large until he teleported right above ANgewomon.

Angewomon really does like doing powerup stuff in this series. And it's been awhile since it feels like one of the Digimon partners was fighting while actually hurt.

Hikari getting her crest with one of the fancier silhouettes instead of an evolution was a nice touch, as was the quick cameo of Baluchimon.

Eitaroutarouman

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
SkullBaluchimon being yet another generic monster is extra frustrating because that Baluchimon cameo could've been used to flesh it out (as much as a walking skeleton could be). Maybe give it a backstory and explain why it hates life so much other than "evil corpse monster, rawr". The rest of the ep was really good, so I wish that part was better.

taz111

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This was a good episode. Wasn't sure what was going to happen when starting to watch it. Loved the little call back to the whistling with Gatomon calling Komondomon. I thought that was really nice since that was sort of Kari's thing in the Original series and her whistle. I really enjoyed seeing Angewomon take a solo fight, even though in the back of my mind I was like "Patamon get your lazy butt up and go help your girl" haha. I really liked that she didn't change into Ophanimon too, but was able to gain more power to defeat and revert the SkullBaluchimon to a Digi egg and the other Digimon too. Also, added plus I really enjoy how they have the Digimon really have character in this series and how the human partners aren't just standing around and are really going in as well to face danger to help their Digimon partners.

Ghalheart

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
A pretty solid Hikari/Tailmon-centric episode. Highlights include Taichi and Agumon going on an Easter hunt and Hikari catching pink eye. :D

Jokes aside, this was one of those episodes that lulls you in a sense that it's just going to be a standard monster hunt, but gets surprisingly dark when you find out that the Soulmon and SkullBaluchimon have a bigger reach on the forest than our heroes realize, sharply increasing the stakes as even the Digitama in the creche are now affected by the cold embrace of death, and Angewomon is now toe-to-toe with an equal-level opponent that's taking next-to-no damage from her attacks (in addition to being severely outnumbered by Soulmon).

It's interesting seeing Hikari channel more of her brother's courage as the series progresses, as well as finding newfound resolve when her Power of Light™ reinvigorates the darkened Digitama from early in the episode. Bonus points for Angewomon continuing to fight even though she's severely weakened and injured before regaining her strength when Hikari finds and activates her Crest. Extra bonus points for seeing all the undead Digimon getting purified and become Digitama instead of Angewomon simply becoming Ophanimon and just obliterating SkullBaluchimon outright (though I totally understand if people are disappointed with the tease of an Ophanimon silhouette instead of seeing the real deal in action at this point).

As a final note, seeing the spirit of Baluchimon briefly appear as it seemingly finds peace after SkullBaluchimon was purified was a nice little touch.

Dynamicmon

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
SkullBaluchimon being yet another generic monster is extra frustrating because that Baluchimon cameo could've been used to flesh it out (as much as a walking skeleton could be). Maybe give it a backstory and explain why it hates life so much other than "evil corpse monster, rawr". The rest of the ep was really good, so I wish that part was better.
A construct of various skeletal parts of other digimon that exudes decay.
Not hard to see why it naturally doesnt gel well with a place of life and growth.
By nature or even a curse as opposed to reasoning given how it seemed thankful when a glimpse of Baluchimon showed up before turning to an egg

Notus

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
With all the talk about SkullBaluchimon being "unworthy" of an Ophanimon debut during the previews, I wouldn't have minded had it actually happened. They did a really good job with this episode's atmosphere.

Small nitpick: Angemon should've appeared helping Greymon fight. And the way the scenes played out he just had to be there, there was no need to animate him, c'mon.

I had a random theory about the sequel giving everyone a second partner and this episode made me wish that would come true. That Nyokimon totally looked like Petaldramon's reincarnation as Hikari's new partner.

Tarama

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I want to believe the Nyokimon is the reincarnation of Petaldramon.

HeavyLeomon

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
With all the talk about SkullBaluchimon being "unworthy" of an Ophanimon debut during the previews, I wouldn't have minded had it actually happened. They did a really good job with this episode's atmosphere.

Small nitpick: Angemon should've appeared helping Greymon fight. And the way the scenes played out he just had to be there, there was no need to animate him, c'mon.

I had a random theory about the sequel giving everyone a second partner and this episode made me wish that would come true. That Nyokimon totally looked like Petaldramon's reincarnation as Hikari's new partner.
You know what? BT07 dcg is called "Next adventure" and It would have hybrid Digimons from frontier.
Maybe?

Notus

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Arbomon and Petaldramon just appeared in BT06, so it'll be unlikely they get new cards so soon. And Junpei will likely be Green thanks to the hints of EX01. But this episode and Petaldramon's would justify a Green Hikari in the TCG, more than the Purple one we already got. (SkullKnightmon technically does, but Hikari wasn't exactly partnered with it).

Amandil7

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
An all around enjoyable episode & easily the best silhouette ones.

It was great to see Gatomon use her Holy Ring creatively & attack in different ways. Hikari too showed more personality than the mysterious magical child we're used to.

SkullBaluchimon was the perfect adversary to give Angewomon a proper thrashing we've never quite seen before in this fashion.

Baluchi is actually pronounced with a "chi" like chicken not with a "k" sound but oh well!

The Light of Life theme was perfect to evoke Ophanimon as it is charged with fostering the appreciation of all life and Love as one of the 3 Great Angels. Petaldramon's forest and the Digitamas was thus a fitting backdrop!

My favorite shot was seeing Baluchimon briefly purified with Ophanimon's silhouette glowing radiantly.

My one gripe was how Takeru did next to nothing minus that Digitama line. Oh and Taichi was there.

Dynamicmon

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Baluchi is actually pronounced with a "chi" like chicken not with a "k" sound but oh well!
seems to depend on the language, but I've seen/heard it more pronounced with a 'ki' sound (much like what the kana suggests)

Lilimonblooms

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Good episode but weak animation and she didn't get a new evolution sequence.
Angewomon was better in episode 44 and taichi should really take a break now.

Last edited:

RyummaSama

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I really enjoy the episodes were the children take more active parts, like Hikari actually getting a bit physically involved with fighting off the Soulmon (similar to Taichi fighting off the Algomon in the first episode!). Hikari's characterization is much more fleshed out than in the OG series, and being more active.

Every time Taichi appears, I just laugh. It really is comical at this point. However, this was probably the most appropriate episode for Taichi to appear since Hikari is his sister, and she gets the opportunity to be independent. Although, Takeru could've easily filled Taichi's role since he was already there.

Takeru briefly explaining digi-eggs to Hikari was a nice little touch; he's like the only one familiar with the concept.

I was so ready for Ophanimon to show up, but I know she's gonna be saved for a plot important episode like the ED teases; regardless it's always nice to see Angewomon show up in this series, since they tend to only save her for Hikari episodes (what is this? her third appearance overall?)

The Baluchimon cameo really did make me gasp, cause I actually wasn't expecting it.

Amandil7

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
seems to depend on the language, but I've seen/heard it more pronounced with a 'ki' sound (much like what the kana suggests)
Baluchistan is a few hours away from me. It is locally pronounced with a chi sound but yes Digimon can pronounce it however they like.

WoolishlyGrim

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
More and more, I'm starting to wonder if Entmon, Zanbamon, SkullBaluchimon, and Soulmon are all meant to tie into some larger villain (distinct from the Great Catastrophe, whose servants don't have a death theme but instead all have an eyes theme -- Algomon's many eyes, Calamaramon's ring of eyes, NeoDevimon's six eyes, SkullKnightmon's chest eyes, Eyesmon, etc). We've had a few too many Digimon with a theme of ghostliness, decay, and rot for me to completely write it off as a coincidence, and so far none of them have really been explained. It feels very much like set-up for something.

robiu013

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Ngl, I watched this episode at 1.5x speed.

Basically, Hikari reveals herself as a member of some cult, which blabbers on about how light will protect you and stuff, no Ophanimon or Nefertimon evolution by the end of the episode, but that was to be expected.

Taichi and Agumon lurk around in bushes to give the viewer hope it might be new scary Digimon, but sykes it's just them and they are here to stay.

Takeru was completely useless in this episode and he was LITERALLY written out of it 4 minutes in. He's just gone at that point, doesn't even help out fight the Soulmon. That's kinda my biggest gripe with episodes like this. They set it up like this could be an episode where two characters, who don't interact with each other that much, can bond, but they do nothing with it. Just make it about a trivial battle and Hikari gets her crest in the end so people can't call it filler.

Koushirou Izumi

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I don't wanna be THAT person but I'm getting so tired and frustrated with Taichi just showing up every episode out of nowhere and doing nothing? WHY WHAT IS THE GODDAMN POINT. Not gonna lie I skipped a few episodes before this one because Taichi is just that unbearable and this arc somehow managed to be even worse than the one before. I have never in the past 15 years skipped any digimon episode.....not even Appmon but Adventrue 2020 broke me.

Also the ending of this episode? I didn't understand what happened other than Hikari is Jesus? guess so.