Digimon Adventure: Episode 57- Contact from the Catastrophe

Vande

Roll Roll, Critical, Critical
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This is the episode discussion thread for Episode 57, Contact from the Catastrophe

An extended version of the episode preview from the end of episode 56.

Episode 57 airs Sunday, July 18th, 9am in Japan.

The simulcast for Crunchyroll is shortly after at:
Saturday, July 17th, 7:30pm in California (Pacific)
Saturday, July 17th, 10:30pm in New York (Eastern)
Sunday, July 18th, 3:30am in the UK

If your time isn't included in the short list above this link will take you to an easy to use time converter so you check yours.

The show can be watched on the following:
(Most countries) Crunchyroll Series Page
(US only) VRV Series Page
(AU only) Anime Lab Series Page

The license that Hulu has only currently covers up to episode 49. Prior episodes are still there, but nothing past that:
(US only) Hulu Series Page

No spoilers past this episode and no posting before the episode is commonly available for most people at the simulcast times listed above (if you are posting about the episode trending on social media in Japan, feel free to post about that.) You can discuss any next episode previews if they are shown at the end of the episode.

Feel free to join us in the Discord if you want to chat about the episode.

Attachments

• ep57preview01_july17_2021article.jpg
    ep57preview01_july17_2021article.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 9,509

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
That was a mostly ok to good episode.

The intro at the hot springs with Jou and Gomamon and Tailmon was nice, especially playing a bit of catch up with people.

The Algomon talking was a nice touch, as was pointing out they had never actually seen an Algomon in the digital world.

Algomon Perfect turning into the prior version of the character was a nice way to introduce the legacy version.

Agumon's version of trying to be clever just being that he'll go after all of them and ignore the damage feels very Agumon.

That they avoided him having to choose at the end felt a bit weird.

Interesting that everything about the Algomon was seemingly connected to 'now', oddly giving an explanation as to why they vanished and had been pseudo-replaced. Although it would have been nice if some explanation for their replacement had been given at the time.

Also, eyeball.

Ghalheart

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Definitely an intriguing episode that connects the Algomon threat from the first episode all the way to today's episode, as well as the major villain/event of this current story arc.

As for this episode's main conflict, Agumon trying to find the real Taichi was a classic take on "what would my REAL friend say" kind of hostage situation against a flurry of doppelgangers. By the end of the episode, however, the imminent threat of the Great Catastrophe (and the implication that the Algomon are now actively monitoring the Chosen Children) steals the spotlight.

It's an alright episode overall, but the big draw is that it serves as a big warning to our heroes that the villain is now fully aware of their activities.

And yeah, @MarcFBR, we've reached maximum eyeball quotient. I'm half-expecting Dark Matter to be the main villain of this series now. :D

Amandil7

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Interesting episode that finally brought out the "Great Catastrophe" to the forefront.

The moment with Gatomon relaxing in the Hot springs was cute, well deserved for this holy kitty. It was also nice seeing Yamato and Izzy momentarily in an otherwise Taichi + Agumon centric episode.

Algomon were creepy and ominous as heck and the Perfect form was menacing with the Big Brother is watching you kids vibe. *cringe*

The Taichi clones showed more personality in a few minutes than the actual one did over the course of this entire series. It was both amusing and trippy! Poor Agumon! That was traumatic

It's exciting the final villain is about to enter the fray. All in all not a bad episode in that it fulfilled its purpose.

Alpha-Crimson

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
SSsssoooo, uh... anyone gonna mention how that eye was very, very obviously from the Diablo line?

Brubarb

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This episode makes me think that the crests in this reboot are responsive to the Digimon's virtue and not the kid. When Agumon saved Taichi, the crest glowed. That makes last week's episode more reasonable for me with Yamato achieving his crest - Gabumon was the one that was fighting for his friends.

YongYoKyo

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
SSsssoooo, uh... anyone gonna mention how that eye was very, very obviously from the Diablo line?
We've seen what that eyeball belongs to back around the Nidhoggmon arc. It's a ball of tentacles that doesn't match any currently-known Digimon. It's definitely not any known-stage within the Diablomon line, though it does seem like it's inspired by it.

Notus

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
While that design is used by that line, I don't think we can jump to that conclusion with just an eye in a dark background. And the "squid baby" which was implied to be Devimon's boss is a new Digimon.

Sparrow Hawk

How deep the rabbit-hole goes
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Algomon Perfect finally undo his Worm Phase! Glad to see his design didn't get redesigned.

BUT I'm really SURPRISED HE SPOKE even his lower evos, too. Even his "creator" and the mission task given to him to test!

lol Tailmon is really getting addicted to Hot Springs. Hikari lost the creepiness aura for sure!

Poor Mechanorimons they just discarded too fast...

Surprised to see HoneyBeemon helping out. Vmon's Knowledge digiegg evo! I seriously thought all Vmon's digiegg evos were completely ignored in this Adventure 2020. But glad I was proved wrong.

So the final boss is actually... Intelligent? To give Algomon Perfect to test like that... I thought it's merely birthing egg. Turned out it's Lucemon Larva in the darkness ball style...

It seemed Sora is still flying to unknown location, Yamato is rebuilding villages, Koushiro finished collecting data history to depart, Jou is still chilling in Hot Spring, and Mimi is still studying as a Digimon at the school and lastly... Takeru and Hikari will take off soon.

Ragnalord

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I likes this episode, it was great, I really like events like this in digimon

robiu013

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Eh, episode felt a bit like a waste of time imo.

Episode 57/66 feels a bit late to have an Agumon reflecting on Taichi's personality to show their bond episode.

So, we finally got a peek into the real villain and it looks like it's Kuramon. Almost hope it is just a giant Kuramon, which slaughters enemies with single touch instant death froth.

Eitaroutarouman

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I really wonder what nonsense Tai's gonna have to have to go through to get his Crest when Agumon's speech basically told us how courageous he's been since day one.

Nemomon

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
A random thought I had, how is it possible that Koushirou ignored the fact that the icon of his own crest appears on Searchmon and Flybeemon. It couldn't be a coincidence, could it?

Yume

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Not as bad as I thought it would be. Episode focused more on Agumon than Taichi, which is always good.

Mon-Ohma

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I really wonder what nonsense Tai's gonna have to have to go through to get his Crest when Agumon's speech basically told us how courageous he's been since day one.

Flashbacks and 'never giving up!' :p

Libra

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
They really did a great job explaining Taichi's courage in this episode. "What would Taichi do" incorporated Taichi's courage and Agumon's bond with him very well. The closest answer to the mystery of crests we've seen so far, yet Taichi's Digivice didn't change It's color to orange. I hated it.

Yellow eye isn't the first eye to move Diabomonically! Algomon mega had a similar eye movement in episode 2.

Algomon acted in this episode like a true emissary of darkness. I got more 1999 Devimon vibes from this Algomon than Cloud continent Devimon himself.

Ricardolindo

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I think this episode was good. It was interesting to see Agumon agonizing about who was the real Taichi and ending it by destroying all the fake ones. Algomon Perfect is a fascinating villain, leading up to the Great Catastrophe with his revelation that they are watching the Digidestined. What do you think he was watching at the end?

Nemomon

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'm thinking about what was the point of this episode. The Great Catastrophe sends its minions to test the protagonists if they can survive what's coming. But why would it test them? The purpose of the Great Catastrophe is to destroy everything, and not prevent the destruction. Does it mean that the Great Catastrophe afraids that it's not strong enough to beat the kids?

Rohan

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Hoo boy, that was an ominous episode. The final boss is finally rearing his head and I like that it ties back to the starter enemy Algomon so that things feel like they're coming together. Cool that they gave Algomon (Perfect) a proper speaking role, I wonder if he'll be a proper enemy to fight or just serve as a mouthpiece for his Creator. Since Taichi has embodied "Courage" moreso than any of the other kids with their Crests, I did like that the writers flipped it around so that in the Taichi/Agumon episode it was Agumon who had to take the initiative and show some courage, made it feel more like a two-way partnership.

Next week though, are we getting another one-off Side-Evolution perhaps? :unsure: