Digimon Adventure: Episode 56- The Gold Wolf of the Crescent Moon

Vande

Roll Roll, Critical, Critical
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This is the episode discussion thread for Episode 56, The Gold Wolf of the Crescent Moon

An extended version of the episode preview from the end of episode 55.

Episode 56 airs Sunday, July 11th, 9am in Japan.

The simulcast for Crunchyroll is shortly after at:
Saturday, July 10th, 7:30pm in California (Pacific)
Saturday, July 10th, 10:30pm in New York (Eastern)
Sunday, July 11th, 3:30am in the UK

If your time isn't included in the short list above this link will take you to an easy to use time converter so you check yours.

The show can be watched on the following:
(Most countries) Crunchyroll Series Page
(US only) VRV Series Page
(AU only) Anime Lab Series Page

The license that Hulu has only currently covers up to episode 49. Prior episodes are still there, but nothing past that:
(US only) Hulu Series Page

No spoilers past this episode and no posting before the episode is commonly available for most people at the simulcast times listed above (if you are posting about the episode trending on social media in Japan, feel free to post about that.) You can discuss any next episode previews if they are shown at the end of the episode.

Feel free to join us in the Discord if you want to chat about the episode.

Attachments

• article.jpg
    article.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 12,426

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The episode overall felt like the first time the show had proper structure to it in an episode in awhile.

Showing us the silhouette at the beginning was an interesting call. It felt much better than the usage of BlitzGreymon since it was relevant to the episode outside of "Well, that happened."

The episode overall liked playing with light and shadow/silhouette quite a bit. Sometimes it felt well done, sometimes it felt like something they just decided they were doing.

Nice that there was enough time to hand things off to Strabimon at the beginning as they were dying. And Mojyamon playing the elder was interesting. The good Gazimon had interesting faces.

Plus hey, Koushiro! The show has an issue with characterization, but Yamato just being at the point where he just asks for help is some interesting growth on his part considering the framing he was introduced with.

The chase scene. I think part of that music was new? And it sounded, especialy at the beginning, very much like original Adventure to me.

The evolution sequence was interesting, in that we actually just see the armor pieces fly onto WereGarurumon, rather than a standard evolution. (Also, Yamato with the weapon was ludicrous looking.)

Although Yamato's crest activating didn't really have anything to do with Friendship... maybe metaphorically understanding someone, or even you could argue him standing side by side with WereGarurumon, but it feels a bit of a stretch.

Also, that running scene wasn't in the ED last week. I wonder if some of the animation needed some additional work, so they slipped in the evolution stuff because they wanted to move to the new ED at the beginning of July.

Eitaroutarouman

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
What was the point of the weapon reforming into a new shape when Zanbamon's flashback showed it looked exactly the same in the past? I'll go with it's an error since there's no indication it changed appearance after its wielder died.

Brubarb

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I feel like whoever is in charge of Yamato's episodes, really gives him the short end of the stick. Also... standing by your Digimon while in danger is something all the kids do. It's not really a special moment of friendship.

RyummaSama

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I thought this was a really good episode, and the rather quiet atmosphere worked really well for a Yamato ep. Personally, "Friendship" is a hard quality to assess someone with, its like very vague and general. In this ep, I saw it as Yamato standing by WereGarurumon and not backing down being the key to activating the Crest, although its hard for me to tell. I do think this is a better Yamato evolution ep than the MetalGarurumon ep.

I really enjoy how this series makes more use of WereGarurumon than the 90s series did, WereGarurumon didnt even appear in Zero Two, since back then he got immediately outclassed by MetalGarurumon and here they save Mega forms for special occasions.

CresGarurumon had a neat little sequence, and his debut was definitely executed better than BlitzGreymon, I just wished he did just one named attack/showcased more of his abilities.

I was really glad to finally see Koemon in any sort of capacity, even if it was an unvoiced barely animated background extra.

Also at this point its almost comical to see how Taichi shoehorns himself into any episode that doesn't focus on him and barely contribute to the plot and then goes on the have his own solo episode afterwards anyways. (Was I the only one thinking that firing missile and explosions in a bamboo forest against an enemy that can't be touched wasn't the best idea?)

Edit: I forgot to mention, I really like the Frontier reference of having Strabimon voiced by Hiroshi Kamiya! A nice treat for the Frontier fans out there.

AppliFang

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This was a nice homage to Digimon world 3...Grizz/Kote/Monmon, the ghost, zanba, bamboo forest an all!! xD lol

Koji's va returning really made me happy ^^

Cool Evo sequence though....waaay better than a glowup like Blitzgrey haha

trueVenett

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Very good episode with nice and fluid pace, awesome evolution sequence.
Justice to Yamato and gabumon.
But come on~!at least shout the name of your attack lol~

Tarama

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Seeing how cool that evolution animation is, I now want justice for Blitz. Poor Blitz, he evolved just like that.

robiu013

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Hoo boy, can't wait for them to reboot Digimon 02 in 2022 and have Taichi in every episode.

Sparrow Hawk

How deep the rabbit-hole goes
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Cool episode.

I thought Gabumon was the reborned CresGarurumon but it seemed like CresGarurumon's "soul" reached Gabumon before the fog showed up to guide him to pick up the spear.

Ha. DW3 references. Kotemon, Koemon, and Grizzmon!

Mojyamon being the village chief surprised me but oddly Jijimon vibes?

So Zanbamon's sword had another effect to attack the unfortune ones in the ghost revenge curse after death? I think it's scary and awesome effect than Dragon type Slaying to power up in Digimon Next Manga.

I hate Strabimon's roundy face. I prefer more of this official art over this.

Didn't expect CresGarurumon to get awesome evo poor BlitzGreymon lol

I wonder what's up with digital bleeding... Why didn't it happen in all previous episodes?! WHY THIS EPISODE?

Zanbamon's defeat in Mugendramon's death style lol

Notus

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I wonder what's up with digital bleeding... Why didn't it happen in all previous episodes?! WHY THIS EPISODE?
Sometimes cool ideas simply happen late. This episode tone probably helped the imagery pop up.

Ghalheart

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Pretty nice episode that did what it could with what seemed like a pretty tight budget.

A lot of side characters seemed more off-model than usual, and the animation seemed strained save for CresGarurumon's evolution (which, given its higher-than-average quality, cements the idea that evolution will show up more in the series later on). That said, it was an interesting scenario that lead to what feels like a "samurai" showdown of sorts (no, not that one).

It's interesting seeing Yamato wielding a part of the sword/spear to help WereGarurumon fend of Zanbamon's attack right before his Digivice manifests his Crest at long last. Which leads to the big question for this series as a whole:

Do the Crests signify a Chosen Child's personal strength or acknowledged growth in this series and have a name to match, or are they just nameless symbols that represent that person finding strength in a time of need in this series? Guess we'll just have to find out, eh? :D

Ricardolindo

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I think this episode was great. Zanbamon was an interesting opponent, being, in fact, a ghost. The whole fight between swordsmen premise was interesting. The animation was good. The CresGarurumon evolution was well done.

Nemomon

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I wonder what's up with digital bleeding...

It wasn't bleeding, Zanbamon was just crying ;).

It was a nice episode, though I thought Strabimon will be a bit smaller.

The only thing I didn't like was how Strabimon "stole" the sword from Garurumon. He saw on his own eyes that the sword helped Garurumon to evolve, and instead of gifting it to him (since he might need it more than Strabimon), he took it for himself for "training purposes". Totally a wolf in the manger. Even worse, because since Garurumon is a wolf as well it's homo homini lupus est.

Rohan

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This was a very samurai episode, gave me a lot of Ghost of Tsushima vibes. Zanbamon was a Digimon I couldn't take very seriously in the past due to his horse body but this episode did its best to make him look fierce. I nearly didn't realise it was Hiroshi Kamiya as Strabimon, not enough shouting clearly (lol). I was glad they made the reason behind Gabumon becoming CresGarurumon different from BlitzGreymon so it didn't feel too repeated. I did like the subtle touch of Izzy discreetly calling in Taichi as backup since he knew Yamato wasn't the kind of guy to ask for help when he needs it, definitely worked a whole lot better than Taichi randomly teleporting in last episode. The final battle between Zanbamon and CresGarurumon was very Samurai with the single slash cut and delayed reaction of Zanbamon's decapitation.

Next week I'm very curious about as the title makes it seem like we might get a glimpse of who's behind everything yet we saw Algomon attacking Agumon so very curioser.

Tarama

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
So right now we can assume that in Adv: universe there are two CresGarurumon at least.

It would be great if Strabimon in this eps has connection to the late CresGarurumon.
it also would be interesting to know what digimon Strabimon can evolve into with that sword. AncientGarurumon?

Sparrow Hawk

How deep the rabbit-hole goes
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

The only thing I didn't like was how Strabimon "stole" the sword from Garurumon. He saw on his own eyes that the sword helped Garurumon to evolve, and instead of gifting it to him (since he might need it more than Strabimon), he took it for himself for "training purposes". Totally a wolf in the manger. Even worse, because since Garurumon is a wolf as well it's homo homini lupus est.

To me, I found it really weird about Strabimon wasn't that all very Warrior-like but instead, he got treated like newbie brawler who often gets told he isn't quite ready yet. After almost every Legendary Spirit warrior took their tasks seriously like Petaldramon and Daipenmon to protect their home buddies while Velgrmon and Calamaramon uhh "fell" to dark side probably thanks to Millenniummon? But this Strabimon completely is different than what I imagined lol At least... Strabimon got inspired to master this CresGarurumon's fighting style with that broken rust spear. I guess it can help him to evolve into Wolfmon in the future or AncientGarurumon? Nah... Warrior wolf buddies! I think letting Strabimon have the spear is the best way in just that case if Zanbamon's curse will appear again.

So... The missing ones are Fire, Steel and Earth that haven't appeared in this 2020 Adventure.

Dynamicmon

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The episode really did give me a lot DW3 vibes, be it the starter digis cameoing, Zanbamon as a big bad, the random hybrid digi.
Was also neat getting an evolution sequence for Cres

KageX

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

I wonder what's up with digital bleeding...

It wasn't bleeding, Zanbamon was just crying ;).

It was a nice episode, though I thought Strabimon will be a bit smaller.

It was bleeding, it has showed up occasionally, but was prominent in the episode with the Seadramon/WaruSeadramon/MegaSeadramon.

Basically Blue Liquid Looking Data is the equivalent of Digimon Blood in this Series. They just don't use it consistently likely due to Budget Constraints as Toei is infamous for that.

Edit: it could possibly be a Callback to Digimon Tamers, as their the three main Digimon were linked to Colors Guilmon/Virus was Red, Terriermon/Vaccine was Green and Renamon/Data was Blue.

That was the first time in the Anime Colors were assigned to Attributes. So Data bleeding Blue might just be to avoid censors, but it could be a reference to how Digimon are made of Data. Honestly I doubt we will ever get clarification, but given all the References and Callbacks to previous Digimon Media it is always a possibility.

Last edited: