Digimon Adventure: Episode 54- The Vagrant War Demon, Rebellimon

Vande

Roll Roll, Critical, Critical
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This is the episode discussion thread for Episode 54, The Vagrant War Demon, Rebellimon

An extended version of the episode preview from the end of episode 53.

Episode 54 airs Sunday, June 27th, 9am in Japan.

The simulcast for Crunchyroll is shortly after at:
Saturday, June 26th, 7:30pm in California (Pacific)
Saturday, June 26th, 10:30pm in New York (Eastern)
Sunday, June 27th, 3:30am in the UK

If your time isn't included in the short list above this link will take you to an easy to use time converter so you check yours.

The show can be watched on the following:
(Most countries) Crunchyroll Series Page
(US only) VRV Series Page
(AU only) Anime Lab Series Page

The license that Hulu has only currently covers up to episode 49. Prior episodes are still there, but nothing past that:
(US only) Hulu Series Page

No spoilers past this episode and no posting before the episode is commonly available for most people at the simulcast times listed above (if you are posting about the episode trending on social media in Japan, feel free to post about that.) You can discuss any next episode previews if they are shown at the end of the episode.

Feel free to join us in the Discord if you want to chat about the episode.

Attachments

• articleep54preview07_june26_2021.jpg
    articleep54preview07_june26_2021.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 12,230

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Great episode.

It looked nice, the elements generally worked, and it was just a fun episode to watch.

Ogremon returning as Rebellimon, without wrapping a bow on everything at the end, was an interesting way to handle it, and worked well ending with him and Cutemon riding off into the sunset, with him continuing along as he was as they met him with Ogremon, him just not being quite aware why anymore.

Animation for the episode looked really nice, and the battle stuff towards the end looked super nice.

Also a great example of the general idea of every episode having to move the story along being kind of trash. Super happy with one off tales as long as they are fun to watch.

Although it does continue the theme of episodes starting a bit too quickly perhaps.

Not much to say about this one overall, as it was just enjoyable.

Hoping Rebellimon and Cutemon ride in again in the future.

Ghalheart

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
HOT. DAMN.

Alright, so it's an action episode that's very light on story, but it's a masterclass on "show, don't tell" as an epilogue to Ogremon and his revival in the Digital World as Rebellimon, especially as a "redemption arc" of sorts with his newfound kinship with Cutemon.

No, it doesn't advance the current story arc by any means. But it's a great self-contained story with tons of action, and I absolutely love it. Without a doubt, one of my favorite episodes in the series thus far.

Bonus points for the excellent animation and action scenes worthy of a Sakugabooru entry, especially during the final battle with Boltmon.

taz111

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
ZAMNNNNN This episode was epic. The animation was HOT! HOT! HOT! ZAMN! I like how they played with Rebillimon's identity here, and not going into full detail yet - we will def see him again. I never liked Cutemon, but here she was great and I'm now a Cutemon fan haha. I do admire that they didn't have Tai and Greymon save the day in the end. Those Giromon's were some blood-thirsty Digimon. The fight between Rebellimon and Boltmon was just pure beauty and savage! LOVED IT!

Eitaroutarouman

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I find it odd the summary outright told us who Rebellimon was when the actual ep only HEAVILY alluded to it. I feel showing Ogremon and Greymon's previous fight kinda spoiled the "twist". Also, don't think I didn't catch that "hottokenai" use, writers.

AppliFang

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I wished they didnt showed the mini memory flashbacks when Metalgrey and Rebellimon were clashing it out
Having the big at the end where he said "go forward/straight" and scratching his injured "horn" would have been perfect!! lol

Funny how Tai and Agu didnt believe it was him haha

Bartz

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This was a very good episode. It's somewhat self contained and fillerish at a point where I'm sure many want the plot to move forward, but personally it was great seeing a continuation of Ogremon's story and how it's progressing. It also did a good job of not going too hard into exposition and allowing us to fill in the blanks ourselves for the most part (as the flashback did spoil it) which made it feel stronger as it relies on the actions driving the character.

Finally, I'll also give credit to how Cutemon was used here as while I felt it was just OK in XW, it made for a nice companion to Rebellimon that helped showcase his growth and progression as the episode moved on. I honestly wouldn't mind seeing more of these two as they have a good partnership that was nice to see form.

EnerGeo

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Two cute Xros Wars references. Rebellimon telling Cutemon not to follow him just like Dorulumon did in XW. Also Taichi referencing Taiki's catchphrase "hottokenai" ("You can't ignore him, right?").

Lilimonblooms

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Great episode, amazing animation, great visuals.
My only complaint is that I wanted Sora and phoenixmon to benefit from this wonderful animation.

Sparrow Hawk

How deep the rabbit-hole goes
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Whoa I instantly realized this animation style is the same animator that animated DBZ movie Goku vs Broly, right?

Damn Rebellimon is TOTALLY BRUTAL and very SAVAGE. Giromon being frustrated and charged at him was amazing animation!
I was shocked at how Giromon was very durable not getting deleted at instant as he got his skull dented so hard and even his pre-evo Goburimon got beaten up by Rebellimon. I guess Rebellimon didn't remember his memories even after seeing Goburimon.

Giromon, Tekkamon, Goburimon. Boarmon, and even Boltmon. They were great at being animated by that animator! I'm so happy!

I always thought Boltmon have super strength but oh boy look at that! He treats his Axe like boomerang and when it returns back, he gets pushed back due to this insane strength! That explained why Boltmon's arm was drilling oddly in the preview because of this cyborg bolt!

I think Cutemon wasn't needed but Oh well I suppose it existed to heal Rebellimon's arm fully back to full strength.

Rebellimon was so suspicious as he said straight ahead in the end so he remembered.
I wonder because of this caption subtitles, was he speaking in complete sentences? Or loose like Ogremon who spoke too delayed?

BUT I'm disappointed he didn't explain how he evolved or survived from MetalTyranomon.

Rebellimon defeated Boltmon, the Ultimate level... I guess it was kind of huge surprise to me. Not that Cutemon helped but it felt odd yeah?

yugiohgxbedst

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Great episode and animation, but that's what happens when you get the great Naotoshi Shida to animate for you!

robiu013

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Lol, there was really no reason for this episode to look this good after how wooden the WarGreymon VS Machinedramon fight looked.

But yeah, we need to get rid of Taichi. Maybe, baseball bat to the head and then some concrete shoes? xD He even acts like Agumon hasn't achieved mega level yet in this episode.

Ricardolindo

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This episode was great. I loved to see Ogremon revived as Rebellimon, with a desire to fight strong opponents, and him subtly revealing his identity at the end. It's interesting to see how he accepted Cutemon as companion.

Rohan

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I loved this episode, especially that animation being so fierce. Initially I was a bit worried when I realised that the other kids were staying behind but I felt it really worked to just have Taichi/Agumon in this episode as soon as it brought up the similarities between Ogremon and Rebellimon. Speaking of, I was surprised to see the man himself come back to life after all this time of thinking he was dead but I liked that they didn't beat you over the head with the reveal instead there were just two scenes that hinted at it. What is with Cutemon and riding scary Virus type Digimon eh? It was adorable their relationship though and I'd definitely be interested in seeing the pair again. Who knows, maybe Rebellimon might finally meet Leomon and have a rivalry.

Next week is back to Mega Evos and seeing Mimi always puts a smile on my face. I wonder if they'll reference Babamon's profile since she's in the episode...maybe Jijimon will see Rosemon and have a flashback or something? :unsure:

BlankShell

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Damn who upped the budget for this episode? Animation was top-notch.

The song and dance around Rebellimon being Ogremon "reborn" or whatever was a little silly, but it's pretty obvious regardless. Go figure that Ogremon was the one "died" instead of Leomon this series, and then got to come back anyway.

Really, just happy to see my boy Boltmon. Got in all of his good attacks, nice monster atmosphere for him, didn't overstay his welcome.

Ricardolindo

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I wonder whether this is the last we have seen of Rebellimon or whether he will come back later.

Amandil7

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Firstly, the animation level was as good as it gets.

The callbacks to Ogremon were subtle and not overt which made the episode work better.

When Rebellimon was first revealed many of us predicted Ogremon would come back as him and it was great to see it come to life. His last line gave me chills! I'm sure this is not the last we've seen of him.

Soul070

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Awesome episode. Giromon and Tekkamon are among my favorite ultimate Digimon. It was nice to see them again. Anyways, Rebellimon vs Boltmon was pretty cool. The animation was kinda weird tho. It looked really awesome in some scenes and really bad in others lol. Still, it was enjoyable. I'm 10000% sure we'll see Rebellimon again....only by then, he'll become Titamon! I thought he would digivolve fighting Boltmon but seeing as how Boltmon's a low tier Mega, its a good idea to save Titamon for another opponent.

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Well at least we got a better evo for Ogremon then an Egg. That's the best part. And funny how he faces Boltmon, his "old" final form.

Mon-Ohma

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Basically good animation that could have been better utilised in a dozen or so other places, gets wasted on Taichi-centric filler.