Digimon Adventure: Episode 53- The Geko Hot Springs' Revolt

Vande

Roll Roll, Critical, Critical
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This is the episode discussion thread for Episode 53, The Geko Hot Springs' Revolt

An extended version of the episode preview from the end of episode 52.

Episode 53 airs Sunday, June 20th, 9am in Japan.

The simulcast for Crunchyroll is shortly after at:
Saturday, June 19th, 7:30pm in California (Pacific)
Saturday, June 19th, 10:30pm in New York (Eastern)
Sunday, June 20th, 3:30am in the UK

If your time isn't included in the short list above this link will take you to an easy to use time converter so you check yours.

The show can be watched on the following:
(Most countries) Crunchyroll Series Page
(US only) VRV Series Page
(AU only) Anime Lab Series Page

The license that Hulu has only currently covers up to episode 49. Prior episodes are still there, but nothing past that:
(US only) Hulu Series Page

No spoilers past this episode and no posting before the episode is commonly available for most people at the simulcast times listed above (if you are posting about the episode trending on social media in Japan, feel free to post about that.) You can discuss any next episode previews if they are shown at the end of the episode.

Feel free to join us in the Discord if you want to chat about the episode.

Attachments

• ep53preview06_june19_2021article.jpg
    ep53preview06_june19_2021article.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 11,854

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
That was a fun mostly comedy episode.

Gomamon got some good moments (the Nanimon sunglasses was a high point) and Jou ended up playing the butt less than I expected.

The overall mood worked decently well and was fun, with Taichi, Agumon, and Junkmon joining at the right time.

The reaction stuff was all pretty good, even if the generaly comedy stylings felt dated.

Jou and Gomamon are often good stuff, so nice to see them get a bit more, and have it tie into their prior 'adventure' at those hot springs.

No evolution, but a mysterious 'winking' from the Digivice lighting up at the end does make the current arc more curious.

So now half the team is together, while the other half are all off on their own, so we'll see where that goes.

Also some returning Digimon actors!

Kouichi Toochika played Kabukimon. Digimon fans would best know him as Hawkmon from 02/Kizuna, along with his various evolutions, along with Miyako's dad. Interestingly, despite him playing quite a few characters in 02, and appearing in various Digimon movies and specials, this is his first appearance in a Digimon TV show that isn't Adventure 02.

Kozo Shioya played TonosamaGeckmon. He's also a returning Digimon voice, having played Olegmon in Xros Wars.

Last edited:

Ghalheart

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I liked it! Definitely a fun episode with a fun set-up that gives Joe and Gomamon some time to shine. I got a kick out of the reactions and visual gags in the episode, too.

I imagine some people are disappointed that we didn't get a new evolution for Gomamon but, given that it was a very lighthearted episode overall, I'm cool with it.

And yeah, how about that Digivice glow at the end! Maybe it's just a cool visual to cap-off the episode, or maybe there's a bigger meaning behind it. Hopefully we find out soon enough.

RyummaSama

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
(I just know there's gonna be a whole debate about gender in this episode)

Probably my favorite Jo episode, it was fun and got to show off Jo's leadership skills pretty well, even though Vikemon didn't appear and the stakes were pretty low compared to the previous episodes.

I know Taichi is the main character and I know that I'm not the target demographic, but I think his inclusion in this ep really was unnecessary.

I think the humor was fine and funny enough: Tailmon covering Hikari's eyes with her ears was a cute freeze frame, Tonosamagekomon unraveling Gomamon with his tongue like a shogun pulling on a kimono sash was also fun, as well as the other multitudes of Japanese culture references.

AppliFang

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Was hoping for Vikemons aura to appear
but at least the digivice lit up!! ^^

Brubarb

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This was a funny episode, but can I file a report on Shogungekomon for harrassment?! I'm glad they gave Gomamon his full evolution sequences! I wonder why Joe's digivice was glowing at the end.

Sparrow Hawk

How deep the rabbit-hole goes
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
That felt so wrong in this ep lol

When Tailmon said the groups of Gekomon learnt something from the human world while TonosamaGekomon treating Gomamon as his bride in the spring bath made me shuddered for certain reasons... Yeah it felt so wrong even he tried to kiss Gomamon/Ikkakumon lol

Surprised to see Nanimon and Blossomon there. I find it very odd. Frogs aren't very well against the coldness but Blossomon was just doing completely fine in the snow land... Wut.

Oh Jou's digivice flashed weird, being relaxed can make the digivice respond to that? Oh well.

Shiningmon

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Just another boring and embarrassing episode .... Seriously, this kind of episode, I expect to see it in the middle of the season not in the final arc ....
Poor Joe and Gomamon who are the comic-reliefs of the reboot, because apart from the two episodes of evolutions, Joe did not shine in the episodes centered on him.
For me this episode could very well have happened in ellispe because it does not bring anything.
I hope that the 54 and the 55 will raise the level because there: episode 51: disappointing / episode 52: Filler for a Kyukoku-tai / episode 53: Filler .... The final arc starts really badly.

Dynamicmon

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
That felt so wrong in this ep lol

When Tailmon said the groups of Gekomon learnt something from the human world while TonosamaGekomon treating Gomamon as his bride in the spring bath made me shuddered for certain reasons... Yeah it felt so wrong even he tried to kiss Gomamon/Ikkakumon lol

Surprised to see Nanimon and Blossomon there. I find it very odd. Frogs aren't very well against the coldness but Blossomon was just doing completely fine in the snow land... Wut.

Oh Jou's digivice flashed weird, being relaxed can make the digivice respond to that? Oh well.
the nani's and blossom were very clearly not fine in the cold hence the desire for a hotspring :p
Pretty sure the flash on the digivice was an indication of a certain power close to being unleashed

Rohan

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
A great episode. I'm glad I was wrong about Tailmon Evolving into Kabukimon as that would likely have been too repetitive after Ponchomon and would have taken away from this episode being about Joe. Speaking of, he really got a good showing here and lived up to Tailmon's title of "leader". I wouldn't have minded if we got Vikemon here but I certainly wouldn't turn down another Joe-focused episode.

Next week though, I wonder if Taichi will compare Rebellimon to Ogremon or something since I remember that being a common theory of how Ogremon could come back after he was killed by MetalTyranomon. :unsure:

Ricardolindo

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This was a good comedy episode, with the premise of TonosamaGeckmon stealing the thermal waters and wanting to marry Gomamon. Good to see Taichi, Agumon and Junkmon joining up.
Where are Sora and Piyomon?

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Sora and Piyomon continued following their Digivice’s compass. Taichi left them because his wasn’t working right.

BlankShell

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I love off-beat episodes like this. Sometimes it's hard to tell what's actually supposed to be funny; I laughed way too hard at Junkmon yelling "Safety first!" as he saved Gomamon, but that's sort of the low-key stuff that resonates with me. And Gomamon being a bride is... grossly amusing. And no Vikemon, which honestly was kind of a plus. When they're not deliberately building to that particular plot beat, a lot of the dialogue comes through naturally.

Ricardolindo

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Sora and Piyomon continued following their Digivice’s compass. Taichi left them because his wasn’t working right.

At the end of the previous episode, they did show Birdramon flying away with Sora but they didn't explicitly say she continued following the compass, did they?

Notus

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

At the end of the previous episode, they did show Birdramon flying away with Sora but they didn't explicitly say she continued following the compass, did they?
What else would she be doing?

Ricardolindo

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

What else would she be doing?

I agree that must be the case, I was just saying it wasn't explicitly said.

Ricardolindo

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Forget it, I now took a closer look at the scene and, indeed, Sora's Digivice continued pointing in a direction while Taichi's wasn't working.

Soul070

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This was fun. I was hoping to see a proper new evolution to ShogunGekomon. We still don't have a proper Mega Geko Digimon and this feels like it could've been a great opportunity. That would've led to an awesome battle that results in Gomamon Digivolving to Mega. Pukumon would've been boring tbh.