Digimon Adventure: Episode 52- Dance of the Heavens, Hououmon

Vande

Roll Roll, Critical, Critical
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This is the episode discussion thread for Episode 52, Dance of the Heavens, Hououmon

An extended version of the episode preview from the end of episode 51.

Episode 52 airs Sunday, June 13th, 9am in Japan.

The simulcast for Crunchyroll is shortly after at:
Saturday, June 12th, 7:30pm in California (Pacific)
Saturday, June 12th, 10:30pm in New York (Eastern)
Sunday, June 13th, 3:30am in the UK

If your time isn't included in the short list above this link will take you to an easy to use time converter so you check yours.

The show can be watched on the following:
(Most countries) Crunchyroll Series Page
(US only) VRV Series Page
(AU only) Anime Lab Series Page
(US only) Hulu Series Page

No spoilers past this episode and no posting before the episode is commonly available for most people at the simulcast times listed above (if you are posting about the episode trending on social media in Japan, feel free to post about that.) You can discuss any next episode previews if they are shown at the end of the episode.

Feel free to join us in the Discord if you want to chat about the episode.

Attachments

• ep52preview08_june12_2021.jpg
    ep52preview08_june12_2021.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 14,869

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Overall... eh.

The episode had some good setups, but they never clicked quite right, mostly because they felt out of focus.

Was nice to have an episode where there was no actual enemy though.

Kappei Yamaguchi as Junkmon worked well. The safety thing would have been a good gag if they had held back on it a bit more.

The main issue was the crux of it all. The Sora Piyomon setup would have worked, if they had done it earlier in the episode and given time for them to talk properly for a minute later, instead of just, sorry/sorry, without proper acknowledgement between them of Piyomon wanting to be there for Sora, and Sora trying to protect Piyomon.

Hououmon getting an evolution animation more like what they've been using for Birdramon/Garudamon instead of the fancy one isn't unexpected.

Interesting that the actual crest quest stuff hasn't come into play yet, and we already get some rejoining up next episode, with Junkmon along for at least another one, which I like.

The episode itself wasn't terrible, but it felt like one where a few pieces slid around could have made it much better.

Brubarb

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I have to say I really, really did not like the beginning of the episode, and the "safety first" ridiculousness.

It was interesting to see Hououmon heal wounds (and create a portal??).

Eitaroutarouman

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This is another plotline that would've worked 20 eps ago. This argument would feel less forced that way. Now, after Sora and Biyomon helped defeat Milleniumon, feels like forced drama. Also, I never want to hear "safety first" for another 10 years.

AppliFang

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I really like how the sequence flows well after Birdra to Garuda...now Garuda to Phoenix
Wished cool pose like Tai and Matt did lol

Im guessing Sora went off as Tai meets up with Joe (i hope Tai wont be doing that with all the kids...)

Eitaroutarouman

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It's honestly refreshing to have no enemy for once, though I'm surprised Volcanicdramon didn't appear considering its lore. Also, the lava spire Hououmon made reminded me of the one from ep 36.

Ragnalord

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I dont know what is wrong with you all but this episode is great, it had character and personality. I overall enjoyed it and phoenixmon appearance is finally majestic which is something I always wondered, finally it became real, it was portrayed very well in digimon chronicles x story, its x evolution, over here they finally portrayed it like how it was always meant to be.

A majestic bird that is sacred. Its flames are meant to heal etc...

Ghalheart

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Holy bird dandruff can stop a volcano and is great for skin care!

Alright, jokes aside, this was almost a good episode.

The drama between Sora and Piyomon almost sold me on a legitimate character arc between the two, but then it became a poorly done reversal of Sora's character development in the original series.

Junkmon almost had me sold as a respectable character for the story-of-the-week, but the "Safety first" gag was overplayed and overdone in such a short period of time with zero sense of self-awareness from the episode director that it left a bad taste in my mouth.

Finally, Hououmon's reveal and resolution was almost cool, until you realize that there was nothing to actually fight and Hououmon just sprinkled pixie dust to fix a volcano. No reason given either as to why the volcano was acting worse than usual, by Junkmon's own admission early in the episode. It almost feels like they wanted to have an enemy Digimon influence the volcano's violent eruptions, but scrapped it at the last second.

So, is it a bad episode? Naw. Rather, it had all the makings to be a great episode and, yet, just missed the mark on almost every key component.

Hell, even the reason that led to Taichi and Sora crashing onto the island in the first place was extremely contrived from the get-go - and I'm usually pretty forgiving of this kind of stuff, too!

Lilimonblooms

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I was disappointed, I expected a lot more.
The animation was not good enough and her evolution could have been a lot better.
I'm starting to worry about rosemon to be honest. 🤦‍♂️
The episode itself felt like deja vu with " I don't want you to be hurt or something".
They could have given her an enemy at least.

Digiforlife

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Well at least it is refreshing to see evolution not merely used to beat bad guys but also to save lives as well. Since Hououmon is now a support Mega digimon I don't expect her to do much from now on til the end...

trueVenett

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Fighting over something petty is also what i thought after what they have gone through, seems abit forceful.
What they should have gone here should be the opposite that from the start Sora and piyo can can go even further without much doubts.
Surprise that the crest thingy have not come into play for this mega evol episode though.

Only good thing here is how they show the majesty of Hououmon. The power that even wargreymon doesn't have.
Also, sometimes nature can be unpredictable too (maybe no interference or is there something they haven't notice?)

Sparrow Hawk

How deep the rabbit-hole goes
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I... Well not so much to say.

Oh boy those volcano people sure are insane to live near the volcano island just because they like it there...
I guess the eruption wasn't related to Millenniummon's attack...

I can confirm Sora have superstrength... Remember how she held Jou and Gomamon from falling in Cannondramon episode?
Well look at her, she lifted some steel pipes and even carted tons of junks and more than Taichi and Agumon together!

Just what the Hades they survived under the lava!

Hououmon didn't get to attack... But healing was there ehhh.

Seeing Hououmon being animated in terrible animation really HURTS.

Wait wait did they just abandoned Mechanorimons in the end? Junkmon the new transport? I think this Digimon Adventure 2020 gives so much screentime to all transport digimons? Even Blimpmon was there before... I guess that is a plus for me.

This episode left me in despair for not showing evolution quality like Agumon/Gabumon's evos. Tch

RyummaSama

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'm mixed on this one, it felt like a filler episode, even though it was (vaguely) plot-relevant. The first half did a pretty ok job at showcasing Sora's overly helpful and active personality, which I feel doesn't get shown often in any continuity.

The Sora and Piyomon conflict was the same as ever: Sora and Piyomon care so much about each other that they both want to other to be safe. Though I think this episode did it just as well as the original series if not better. I think it did it better than Tri, since in that instance it relied on the whole forgotten memories subplot which was very contrived and kind of out of character, in my opinion.

The fact that the major enemy was a natural disaster and not a Digimon was very interesting, it was still written as if the enemy was a Digimon and it still hits all the same beats. Maybe Sora's love is stronger than a force of nature, making her the strongest Chosen Child?

robiu013

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Yeah, I'm not feeling this episodic approach to Digimon reaching their Mega level. Were there ever first-time mega evolutions in Digimon, that felt of lesser scope?

Sora, I still kinda feel is the weakest character of this new series. Well, her and Taichi, I guess.

Was there any reason why Agumon & Biyomon didn't evolve to help build the wall, when Garudamon could have built a wall single-handedly in an hour of work, lol? Don't give me the "well, digivolution uses energy excuse", the kids in 02 did it all the time.

But on the bright side the appeal of having a Junkmon as a partner, certainly rised now that they confirmed you can indeed ride him like a gokart.

Koushirou Izumi

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
What a surprise.... another Sora episode that SUCKS. I feel really sad for one of my favorite characters from the OG show.

So let's dive into the many many issues of this very disappointing episode:

1-The whole "safety first" gag I get it okay. The reboot loves to include some silly gag to be "funny" for 7-year-olds and I understand. but seriously? how MANT TIMES did they repeat it legitimately I believe they did it over 9-10 times......this is just ridiculous even kids notice that (I was watching with my 8-years-old niece and even she pointed that out....)

2-I'm not gonna lie the setup was okay. don't get me wrong it wasn't anything creative like they sometimes do with other characters...they just kinda recycled the story beats from the OG Garudamon which would have made me happy if they did it right but they failed terribly.

3-Firstly, they literally wasted almost 10 minutes of a 21-minutes show doing the stupid safety gag that by the time they started setting up the conflict which had a good setup to be fair, it was already half of the goddamn episode. The conflict felt very FORCED and downright UNBELIEVABLE Sora who is portrayed as the one who wants to help everyone is just suddenly cold towards her own partner and Piyomon is just being so overdramatic she felt lonely? Sora was like standing in front of her.....

4- and to make it worse instead of playing up the "I was harsh to you because I love you" thing like the original did which worked very well with the crest. they turned into "they don't trust each other"???? am I supposed to believe that after 52 episodes where we see Sora and Piyomon always side by side working together that they would just have this huge fight and lose trust because Sora wanted Piyomon to sit down and heal her injury??

5-And to just finish it on quite a bad note, Hououmon appears on my screen for like the second time in franchise history (talking about TV and movies) and she looks BAD :cry: the animation literally was worse than the start of the episode. and like we all expected a cheap evolution sequence. and just to make my blood boil they added the "your love gave me power" line which is said in every Sora episode! like how lazy can you be writers.

I'm sorry this is a long rant probably most of you wouldn't even read it but I'm just frustrated over this show and how much they hate some of its characters especially Sora who keeps getting screwed over and over again

dgmn

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Must say I'm dissapointed with bad evolution sequence for Hououmon. Episode plot was dragged out needlessly by safety catchphrase.

Rohan

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
A good episode. The other kids finally getting their Megas was long overdue though I was surprised there was no enemy Digimon to fight this week but rather Mother Nature herself but I suppose that's a refreshing change for once. I also did like how they played with Sora's Crest being Love by having her initially go down the wrong path and be overprotective and smothering in her desire to keep Piyomon out of danger. Hououmon was pretty awesome to see and hopefully it'll get a proper fight scene in the future.

Next week though really intrigues me as they are seemingly spacing out the Megas since despite apparently being a Joe episode there isn't a Vikemon segment in the Digimon Spotlight next time. Also what, Kabukimon? Are we getting another Divergent Evolution like what happened with Ponchomon? :unsure:

Ricardolindo

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I have mixed feelings on this episode. On one hand, the eruption plot was interesting and I liked to see an evolution not resulting from a battle. On the other hand, the whole safety thing was repeated way too many times, the conflict between Sora and Piyomon wasn't very well done and the evolution didn't have very good animation.

The Krookodile Hunter

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Ngl, the whole thing about safety first with Junkmon definitely reminds me of that one Beaver character from the old Timon and Pumbaa cartoon.