Digimon Adventure: Episode 51- The Mystery Hidden Within the Crests

Vande

Roll Roll, Critical, Critical
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This is the episode discussion thread for Episode 51, The Mystery Hidden Within the Crests

An extended version of the episode preview from the end of episode 50.

Episode 51 airs Sunday, June 6th, 9am in Japan.

The simulcast for Crunchyroll is shortly after at:
Saturday, June 5th, 7:30pm in California (Pacific)
Saturday, June 5th, 10:30pm in New York (Eastern)
Sunday, June 6th, 3:30am in the UK

If your time isn't included in the short list above this link will take you to an easy to use time converter so you check yours.

The show can be watched on the following:
(Most countries) Crunchyroll Series Page
(US only) VRV Series Page
(AU only) Anime Lab Series Page
(US only) Hulu Series Page

No spoilers past this episode and no posting before the episode is commonly available for most people at the simulcast times listed above (if you are posting about the episode trending on social media in Japan, feel free to post about that.) You can discuss any next episode previews if they are shown at the end of the episode.

Feel free to join us in the Discord if you want to chat about the episode.

Attachments

• ep51preview02_june5_2021article.jpg
    ep51preview02_june5_2021article.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 13,822

Fenrys

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Is Hulu not getting episodes anymore? They never put up last weeks episode and this one isn't up yet either

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Been awhile since we had a data dump episode.

Flashbacks to everyone as kids, a few flashes of things we only saw minimally, and lots of talking about the crests.

Glad to see Garbemon again, he worked well here as a (not quite) mentor type figure, and Wisemon was played well and humorously. Good to see that they are both likely to recur.

The various Digimon cameos at the tree featured a number of Digimon people are no doubt happy to see.

Most of the episode focusing on the idea that the Adventure isn't over, there are crests to deal with, and that everything going on since the kids showed up isn't over was an interesting place to jump right after everything that happened. And the characters kind of annoyed that their relaxing time was ruined was fun.

Burpmon worked well in his role in the episode, and having him just be there to Kirby up the place was amusing, especially since a few times it felt like they leaned into him being so similar to Kirby.

Generally a good episode to start a new arc with. The kids are separating, and/but:
Mimi and Yamato each go off on their own.
Takeru, Hikari, and Jou head off to help Tailmon and Patamon recover from (Seemingly) the strain of their specialty evolutions.
Koushiro hangs behind to help Garbemon and Wisemon.
Sora and Taichi head off together, with Taichi seemingly going because his Digivice powered compass is playing spinny-spin.

Curious to see how some of the character groups play off each-other in upcoming episodes.

Is Hulu not getting episodes anymore? They never put up last weeks episode and this one isn't up yet either

Ghalheart

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Ah, this episode brings joy to my knowledge - that the series is very well aware of its loose plot threads set up from early on in the series.

So yeah, definitely an info dump episode, and one that sets up the next story arc. No problems here, really.

I'm totally on board with @MarcFBR and the Kirby comparisons with Burpmon. Being a fan of the Kirby franchise, I definitely got a kick out of what this episode did with what is ultimately a goofy and obscure Digimon.

With splitting the kids up again for their own separate quests, I'm betting this is where we start to get more extensive character development for each of the Chosen Children akin to the original series, but only time will tell if/how that pans out.

Looking forward to what leads up to preventing the "Great Catastrophe." :D

Prodigious

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This episode was a cop out. It was set up to be a lord episode but we learnt nothing!

the mystery of the crests is still a mystery. And suddenly the soundbirdmon are back

the team is splitting again! The writers have been lazy in regards to the other children.

Jmac28211

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This episode had enjoyable cameos all around, specifically, the AncientWisemon cameo was appreciated. I wish we got a name for the location they were at. It was nice seeing the eyeball squid again, even if just for a brief moment. Burpmon was entertaining, and whoever is pulling all of the strings sent him there on purpose (I wonder if it was to retrieve something specific from the tree or if it was to prevent the Chosen from finding something out). Nice to see Soundbirdmon again. Burpmon made for a comedic villain in an otherwise lore dump episode, so his levity was appreciated. I was hoping they'd find a use for Burpmon at the Tree--rather than killing him--but the Chosen do leave a trail of bodies in their wake. It looks like we're getting the next evolution arc next. I wish we had gotten it prior to Mille, but we can still hope for good episodes. Taichi's arrow is pointing all over the place. HOPEFULLY, it doesn't mean that he goes from group to group and is a main character in each episode. I wonder if the Mechanorimon will join the group like Komondomon did?

the team is splitting again! The writers have been lazy in regards to the other children.

Unlike previously, this time each group has their own specific mission. Splitting up =/= Lazy, especially since each group has their own goals rn, but I understand the desire to keep the group together.

Thought Dump:
There are a lot of dangling plot threads right now, and I would love to get answers to them so we can learn how everything connects. (Please correct me where I've forgotten things, and I'll edit this one).

Methods of Corruption: Miasma (absorbed by Mille), SoundBirdmon's Waves (still active), Black Lightning (destroyed with Mille)

1. Big Bad is siphoning data from the Human World for something. They controlled the Argomon, Eyesmon, and Zurimon swarms (+others) to attack various locations and facilities to cause chaos in the real world.

2. Devimon took Angemon captive in order to corrupt it using the Miasma (which is the remaining darkness from the last war against Milleniummon). The Miasma was used to corrupt various Digimon, though I don't remember if Devimon had anything specific to do with those Digimon corrupted by the miasma, or if it was just convenient for him. Devimon sent out (and communicated through) SoundBirdmon, who were also corrupting Digimon.

3. Vademon Cult sought to create a body in order to revive Milleniummon and recreate the Holy War. MoonMilleniummon's shards rained down across the Eternal Continent, and Black Lightning corrupted Digimon who got close to it. DarkKnightmon was the prime candidate to become Milleniummon's body, though that didn't work. DarkKnightmon (actually Tailmon) also had a piece of MoonMilleniummon in her possession. Using the data from the Chosen's battles that was collected by Sephirotmon (and caused by Moon's lightning) and the Miasma from the Cloud Continent, Vademon Cult were able to construct a new body (Kimeramon) for MoonMilleniummon to inhabit, causing him to evolve into Milleniummon.

This episode brings up the Great Catastrophe-- a darkness greater than that of Milleniummmon. Sephirotmon was seemingly completely turned into Kimeramon, so--unless the Big Bad has multiple Sephirotmon-- Mille's data wasn't absorbed. The Great Catastrophe will obviously involve EyeBallSquidMon and SoundBirdmon, but I'd love for Milleniummon's resurrection and death to play a major role in what happens next. He absorbed data from countless Digimon, he absorbed the remaining darkness from the last war, and he caused two of the Great Dragons to appear. Whoever is pulling the strings could still become a "really good villain" if all of the pieces are put together properly.

Mimi's Grandpa is the big bad 🤷‍♂️

Dynamicmon

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I find it kind of amusing how in Adventure Virus Digimon were almost always evil/mischievous in their intentions where it was seen as weird for Ogremon to be hanging around them at the end of the series, yet the majority of the 'intelligent' (which seems to include Digimon such as Doggymon) and seemingly organized digimon seem to be Virus. Not saying it's off or anything just that it's kinda nice that they have a bit more of a positive role compared to the original series.

Also tiny Wisemon and the temple being behind an ancientwisemon gate brought me joy (to my knowledge)

e105zeta

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
2. Devimon took Angemon captive in order to corrupt it using the Miasma (which is the remaining darkness from the last war against Milleniummon). The Miasma was used to corrupt various Digimon, though I don't remember if Devimon had anything specific to do with those Digimon corrupted by the miasma, or if it was just convenient for him. Devimon sent out (and communicated through) SoundBirdmon, who were also corrupting Digimon.
I thought Devimon was born from Seraphimon’s dark side and we don’t even know who captured Seraphimon?

Ragnalord

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
A very nice setup episode

Tarama

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I don't think Milly is dead. This episode really hinted that. Even if it won't be Milly anymore, the final big bad guy should be defeated by Omegamon, in my opinion. Because he's the logo of the series.

I hope the final war will be really good. Like maybe we'll see some of the companions evolving to their next Level in the war, helping the Chosen Children. Leomon to SaberLeomon or else, Falcomon and Spadamon and so on. It would be great I think. Helping by also evolving and joining the battle, not just another spirit power.

And it would be great if we see some other Archangels to reappear besides Lopmon. Which I think Spadamon is the Child of SlashAngemon.

Last edited:

Eitaroutarouman

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The gang's splitting? Oh joy, this is a unique development. And I hope this Patamon can't evolve plot gets resolved as soon as possible. We JUST got Angemon back.

Brubarb

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The animation in this episode was really great! I'm excited for each character to get some development! I hope Taichi's presence doesn't overshadow Sora, and I hope his spinning compass does not mean he will be there for every kid.

Digiforlife

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
does the giant tree of digital world information remind anyone of Yggdrasil (especially from Savers)? A lot of information dump just don't add up for me...

Brubarb

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
does the giant tree of digital world information remind anyone of Yggdrasil (especially from Savers)? A lot of information dump just don't add up for me...
When I saw the tree, I thought of Yggdrasil too. Especially when they mentioned that the tree is like the inside of a computer, and that it contains ancient historical artifacts. It is supposed to be like the master computer of digital world or something like that afterall

AppliFang

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Did Wisemons voice actor form Xros Wars reprised his role?

That mystery 9th empty data got my intrigued ....plz be the crest of kindness lol xD

JungleTrooper

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
What was Burpmon's role/origin in this episode?

YongYoKyo

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
What was Burpmon's role/origin in this episode?
There was a flock of Soundbirdmon when it first showed up, so it was probably just a regular Digimon that was manipulated into becoming the episode's enemy-of-the-week.

Tarama

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The gang's splitting? Oh joy, this is a unique development. And I hope this Patamon can't evolve plot gets resolved as soon as possible. We JUST got Angemon back.
I also like this. But the fact that Taichi's digivice compass pointed everywhere made me think something I don't want to happen: Taichi will be in every place the other are in.

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Did Wisemons voice actor form Xros Wars reprised his role?

That mystery 9th empty data got my intrigued ....plz be the crest of kindness lol xD
Appears to be the "Crest of Stairs."

Muur

How deep the rabbit-hole goes
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This episode had enjoyable cameos all around, specifically, the AncientWisemon cameo was appreciated. I wish we got a name for the location they were at.

The TV guide called it the "Tree of Information".