Digimon Adventure: Episode 50- The End, The Ultimate Holy Battle

Imperial

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Okay now that the 'wow' has passed. I have a couple things to say.

Why is everyone still complaining about Taichi? It's insane. We're in episode 50 right now. They never hid this. How is this still a talking subject?

I also feel like they thought this through. WarGreymon was never going to beat Milleniummon. It was simply too powerful for him and he would lose 100/100 times in that fight. So the big guns came out. Holydramon and Goddramon and FDHSJKFDSFHU such a cool fight. But those two were CLEARLY shown to be hitting their limits in the fight. I felt Milleniummon was strong and the two Great Dragons were strong for straight up obliterating him.

Xeed left me speechless. They did everything right. The sizecreep was real. WarGreymon is much larger than he was in the original series. Milleniummon dwarfed him. The dragons were equal to Milleniummon. Then Xeed dwarfed them. The sheer size mixed with the sudden apocalyptic feeling music. And then he started carving lines of flames onto the planet. It didn't feel like anything could be done. It's nice and all to believe Goddramon and Holydramon could just . . .do something there. I honestly feel doing nothing saved their lives. Because if Xeed's attention went to them and he did any attack, that was it.

Only when the planet, who I hope is Gaiamon, got involved did the possibility of victory come out. The writers could always write there that Holydramon and Goddramon absorbed the planets energy to attack or some variation of that, but I find it fitting that Gaia force did it. As far as I remember from the original dub of season 1, Terra Force was explained as an attack that gathers it's energy from it's surroundings and focuses it into the palm of his hand. It's possible that's dub only, but it doesn't feel that way.

But DAMN was that final scene amazing. The sound effects of WarGreymon's flight was ON POINT. Then Gaia Force. Then Planet Force! Then HOLY SPIRIT BOMB! It reminded me of A Million Points of Light from 02.

When it comes to great battle episodes for Digimon I have weird criterias to what I like. And this episode was almost perfect. At the very least it's part of the echelon of truly amazing battles.
VenomMyotismon. (Top Tier!)
Gallantmon vs. Beelzemon (Was fun)
KaiserGreymon and MagnaGarurumon vs Cherubimon (This might even be the best.)
ShineGreymon vs. Cranniumon FINAL (Really quick fight, but I'll always remember it. Had the shield this time!)
Milleniummon. (Welcome home.)

Honorable mention to a lot of 02 fights. Shurimon vs Ninjamon, Magnamon vs. Kimeramon, BlackWarGreymon in general was a big performer.

CrimsonGallantmon

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Come on now, this one seems alot less of an ass-pull compared to what happened in savers and to me justifiable as far as profiles go.
You are right but still Omegamon seems better to me.
It’s certainly no worse than the stuff we got in the original Adventure. They probably figured if deus ex machina worked for the old show, it wouldn’t be a problem using it in this one.
True. Remember Apocalymon's final attack or the Apocalymon battle in general? There it was worse I think.
I actually think the plot is served better for original adventure's ending rather than 2020.

Original ending proved that the crests were just catalysts for the emotions the children always had. So it was human emotion and growth that defeated apokarimon. Not to mention everybody had a part in ending apokarimon and crest/emotion power saved them from his suicidal attack.

2020 adventure had little in the way of a thematic ending.
Takeru and patamon evolve to mega with no growth in character. Which doesn't even make sense in the theming of the show.
Then Yamato just decides to chill while taichi does all the heavy lifting. Like bro, why did you even evolve to mega in the first place if you were gonna just sit this one out? Why did the show even attempt to constantly ass-pull omegamon throughout the series just for him to never show up and have one half of his fusion just not participate in the final fight.

And the big flaw. THE BIG ONE. Is that Vikemon, Rosemon, and Herculeskabuterimon were already forshadowed earlier in the show during the ancient war flashback. So we never even get to see those forms yet the writers tease us with them? Nah bro, that is a big F-U if I ever saw one. I'm sorry but the writers already knew what fans wanted. They purposely did not deliver. I guess wargreymon just sells too many damn toys and the businessmen need the future generations to be just as addicted to wargreymon.

I can now say for a fact that Original Adventure's writing was definitely better than Adventure 2020. I'm actually glad Japan doesn't like adventure 2020. At least the greedy businessmen will think twice before feeding us rubbish.

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
What are you even talking about? The show isn’t over yet. It could go for another year or more, for all we know.

McGann

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Why is everyone still complaining about Taichi? It's insane. We're in episode 50 right now. They never hid this. How is this still a talking subject?
The writing has been on the wall for a while now, but I can't deny it's still pretty irksome.
It felt worse this week, since it seemed like TK and Kai were taking the forefront, only for Tai to once again steal the limelight.

Not to mention Tai (and Matt) usually got all the attention even in the original, so it almost feels like a cruel joke with how amplified the discrepancy is now. 😅
I guess it's just hard to drop the baggage. If this weren't the Adventure kids, I doubt there'd be as much complaining.

AngelOmega

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
What are you even talking about? The show isn’t over yet. It could go for another year or more, for all we know.
True that! Millenniumon could be Mid Boss just like Vamdemon.

Personally I don't. I have accepted that he is the show's Protagonist.

Last edited:

McGann

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
True that! Millenniumon could be Mid Boss just like Vamdemon.
At the very least, there's still that squid thingy with yellow eye in the black sphere to contend with.
If there are indeed 16 episodes left, that's just enough for a "Dark Masters"-esque final arc.

Dynamicmon

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I still want to note that Argomon and Nidhoggmon, two villains without the slightest background, each held 3 episodes, while Milleniummon, the villain teased for 25 episodes, will not even have lived the time of an episode.
The main Algo after evolving was only in a couple episodes (the tail end of 2 and the very start of 3)
Nidhogg was also in one episode and I'm pretty sure had less overall screentime than DanDevi and Millenium.
If we're also adding evolutions, then Millenium would be the same amount.

Darklabo

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I still want to note that Argomon and Nidhoggmon, two villains without the slightest background, each held 3 episodes, while Milleniummon, the villain teased for 25 episodes, will not even have lived the time of an episode.
The main Algo after evolving was only in a couple episodes (the tail end of 2 and the very start of 3)
Nidhogg was also in one episode and I'm pretty sure had less overall screentime than DanDevi and Millenium.
Hmm, not really.
If we take into account all their forms, Argomon lasted 3 episodes (1,2,3), Nidhoggmon the same amount (16,17,18), and Milleniummon only one (50).
MoonMilleniummon appears in other episodes, but he doesn't actually do anything but wait to be resurrected.
In absolute terms we can count episode 33 where he is one-shot by Wargreymon, but nothing more.

Mugendramon and Kimeramon aren’t Milli.

McGann

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Hmm, not really.
If we take into account all their forms, Argomon lasted 3 episodes (1,2,3), Nidhoggmon the same amount (16,17,18), and Milleniummon only one (50).
MoonMilleniummon appears in other episodes, but he doesn't actually do anything but wait to be resurrected.
In absolute terms we can count episode 33 where he is one-shot by Wargreymon, but nothing more.

There is a shot of Milli laid over Machinedramon that could imply he's in the driver's seat.
Plus he made Griffinmon as a sub-boss, not dissimilar to Argomon's extended army.

Though that aside, things did blow over a bit quickly considering the build-up.
But there are still episodes to go, so maybe it'll feel more appropriate in retrospect. Who knows, this may not be the last we've seen of him.

Dynamicmon

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Hmm, not really.

by that logic eyes and orochi aren't nidhogg.
the algo in the first episode wasnt the same boss algo (who made no appearance in that episode) in the following episodes. and if we're counting all algos, why not count all the algos during the devimon arc?
If we counting other forms/components/whatever, then we have to count kimera, machinedra, and even sephiroth.
If aren't, then millennium still has more screen time than both of them.

Cyborg Space Dragon

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I mostly liked this one.

I’m glad the fight wasn’t just a big curbstomp. So much better than that lame Omegamon and his magic-block-everything-cloak vs Nidhoggmon fight.

It was interesting seeing Takeru and Hikari handle the barriers while Goddramon and the luck dragon fought Millenniummon.

The WarGreymon Genki Dama really bugged me at first, but watching it again, it doesn’t strike me as much different from DBZ when Krillin threw the Genki Dama at Vegeta. Krillin shaped it into the ball and threw it but it was still Goku’s technique. WarGreymon may have thrown the fireball, but it was made of hope and light.

Takeru and Hikari were looking pretty strained and with Takeru declaring the final attack so quickly, I’m thinking the evolutions were a little hard on them. This could be the explanation as to why we’re not going to be seeing a lot of Goddramon and the doggy dragon.

All the virtues come together to form the light of hope that evolves HolyAngemon and Angewomon. All the digimon’s hopes form a light that WarGreymon was able to use. I’m seeing some next arc setup here.

Millenniummon has an “unknown” form. Couldn’t have made his future return more obvious if they put “He’ll be back” in big red letters.

Kamen Rider Slayer

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I can at least appericiate the spectacle of the battle, but it was just as bone dry as most of the other arc ending battles in this show. Yeah, its episode 50 and the show has made it very clear it's Taichi's show, but it doesn't make it less bad when most of the characters just exist to give him Shounen energy to have him win. I can give credit that Takeru and Hikaru did something and the sequence was animated well. Still didn't save it for me.

CrimsonGallantmon

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Oh right. I forgot the season was planned for 60+ episodes. I guess the titlecard of "THE END" and the finality of the fight made me think it was the final boss episode. I figured the next episodes were conclusion episodes. I guess the series still has a chance to surprise me.

Mon-Ohma

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Well before this episode, I never understood the hype surrounding ZeedMillenniummon.

But after seeing said episode...I still don’t...

Really, when you wipe away all the flash and fan-service in the form of the Dragons this was a pretty standard 2020 battle.

You have a big mindless monster spamming attacks.
Taichi and Wargreymon repeatedly getting the stuffing beaten out of them, but simply shrugging that off.
The other kids sort of helping, but not to the extent it risks overshadowing anything Taichi does.
And a last minute divine intervention resulting in said big mindless monster being overwhelmed by a more powerful attack.

Of course as far back as when they did my boy Gokumon the dirty, I had a feeling whatever they were building up too was never going to pay off anyway.
So I guess now we have to see what exactly they are going to try and top this with.

Soul070

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This episode was epic. I loved seeing the dragons. I thought i'd see Seraphimon, but Goldramon was a very pleasant surprise. I do agree that it was lame having Tai get all the screen time in the end. It would've been much better if the dragons just handled this on their own. Maybe add Cherbumon in there too. But oh well. It was still fun to watch.

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Well this was something. You had Godramon for ORAs, Holydramon actually biting M on the neck, Xeed actually showing up, maybe under preforming, then everything is a Majin Buu level Spirit Bomb for WarGreymon. ...What's next then?

trueVenett

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Asides from animation quality etc. This episode would have been perfect for me if they added Matt and metalgarurumon into the last attack choreography just like last time when they fought together with Venommyotismon.

Seriously, what is up with the writers and production team's obsession with Taichi.